Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Tech Talk

Default Re: Tech Talk

I just purchased a 46" LCD Samsung 650 last night. Along with that I already have a Xbox 360, Wii, and the same Panasonic model blu ray player (which my dad is getting free for X-mas from work) as hawkings and tomaz. Question is, what kind of sound system should I look to finish off my entertainment center?

I would rather not go over $300
    ass on the grill

Resident DnB Encyclopedia Donaldj's Avatar

I Almost bought that 46" 650 instead of the 40 inch 750. How ya linking it?

for $300 you're not gonna much more than a home theater in box. I spent nearly $1000 just on my subwoofer in 1999. I would assume at the $300 price point most of those all in one deals are gonna be pretty similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Semantic View Post
    If there was a Frank Lucas of DnB links, Donald would be him...

Donald is not only the Frank Lucas of the board, but also the resident Buddha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Luster View Post
    All in favor of an Underworld / High Contrast US co-tour say "AYE!"
    "Real Drum & Bass is not something that sounds like a 17 year old rock band who have just listened to Slipmatt on their first E & decided to make Drum & Bass" - Marcus Intalex

http://soundcloud.com/donaldj-1/jind...pect-8-16-2012

I ordered it off Amazon.com so it's currently being shipped to my house as I type. I'll let you know what I think of it once I've had it for a little while.
    ass on the grill

I bought mine from Amazon too. I had a great experience with it and saved about $400

"Real Drum & Bass is not something that sounds like a 17 year old rock band who have just listened to Slipmatt on their first E & decided to make Drum & Bass" - Marcus Intalex

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

Yeah, at that price point you will be looking at a boxed system like Donald mentioned. Here is one that got good reviews for a little more than your price point.

I would recommend that you try to piece together a system as you can afford to, as a lot of these box systems have proprietary connections that make them kinda worthless when you upgrade to purchasing speakers individually.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

Alright cool. Thanks for the tips.
    ass on the grill

Quote Originally Posted by real talk View Post
    I want an iPhone.
    f'reals?
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    It looks as if Donald is the person to ask here as I stick with mp3s and Apple products for the most part. I am not sure if the Zune can support flac or not, but it does have some pretty cool features and a sizable hard drive. If you are talking about going portable that is.
    zune can't presently support hacks. i haven't checked, but you can hack it to pieces, so I'm assuming that you can probably get flac to play if you really want to.

if you want flac to play on your iPod, just install the rockbox OS.

Quote Originally Posted by dorkfish View Post
    f'reals?
    Yes I've become convinced that it's the best thing to do. Our friend G uses it for everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    You were right. I was wrong.

dorkfish beat me too it... rockbox is the way to go...

Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    I would rather not go over $300
    You can't reallyget a decent sound system for 300... There are some OK monitors out there that you can get for about 250-300... Then you just need a splitter or receiver to route everything... If you don't have anything for audio at all, you are going to be hard pressed to do anything decent for under 300... And I'm just talking stereo, never been a big fan of most 5.1 setups, mainly because anything reasonable is a mess or just won't work with my setup.

for under $300, you can occasionally get a decent Onkyo 2.1, 5.1 or 7.1 setup. 3 or 4 times a year they get rid of a lot of their inventory, and you can pick up a $800 refurbished system with a good warranty for $150...

Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar

bosco, my advice is to do the following:
    wait, and save up. if you picked up a new HD, the built in speakers will sound better than the ones that came with your old CRT.
    or you can hook up any old home stereo for slightly improved sound. but at any rate, save up. a properly set up six or seven channel pure digital system is totally worth waiting on. anything less (i.e. a pro-logic [no dts] home-theater-in-a-box) will just leave you wanting more, but out of pocket.
    look at spending a minimum of that $300 just on your receiver. there's no need to go totally crazy, but a lower-end denon or yamaha will set you up just fine for a medium sized room. you want at LEAST 40 watts RMS per channel, a line-level (unpowered) connection for a powered subwoofer, hdmi in AND out, and coaxial AND optical S/PDIF in AND out. in terms of speakers, look at again, a minimum of $300 on a subwoofer. your left, right, center, and surround speakers can be pieced together from craigslist, basements, pawn shops, or anywhere for next to nothing. just make sure they fit your ohm and watt ratings, and they'll still kick the intestines out of HTiaB speakers. my left, right, rear center and center channels on my main 6.1 system were free. they're 50 watt realistic brand from the 1980s, and they have a lower signal-to-noise ratio than the speakers that came with the 550 watt panasonic assbox I have downstairs.

I know I sound all douchey, but man, you have good taste in music, and obviously care about your ears, and I'd hate to see you end up unsatisfied with your sound. there's nothing friggin worse than unsatisfying sound.

Bosco, I have to agree. Start small and build your way up. Use that 300 and buy a pair of fronts or a receiver. Slowly fill out with center, surround and subwoofer. It may take a year or two or longer but you'll be happier over time. A good rule of thumb is to try and spend amounts equal on audio and video.
    Last edited by Donaldj; 12-09-2008 at 05:02 PM.

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by frozen pilgrim View Post
    I know I sound all douchey, but man, you have good taste in music, and obviously care about your ears, and I'd hate to see you end up unsatisfied with your sound. there's nothing friggin worse than unsatisfying sound.
    This is very true, and why I waited for a while to purchase speakers. I am only running a stereo system at the moment but that is because I spent $300 on each speaker. I figured that I listened to enough music that I owe it to myself to be extremely satisfied with my speakers.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar

and seriously, just ask all your relatives over age 30 if they have any unused speakers. I'll bet you twenty bucks you'll end up finding some hidden gems

Holy crap. Who else bought The Dark Knight on Blu-Ray? The picture quality is amazing. My receiver doesn't decode Dolby TrueHD but the Dolby Digital mix is outstanding.

Coachella Junkie

I've been waiting for them to port Rockbox to the Gigabeat S for two years and now that they're close my headphone jack only outputs left or right, depending on how hard you're shaking the player.

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    A squeezebox is just what I need.
    mamma's got a squeezebox
    daddy never sleeps at night
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Coachella Junkie

OK, I think you guys convinced me.

It's just I know that my cousin has one of those all-in-one kits from Sony back in early 2000 or 2001 (dont remember the model number) and it was quite impressive, at least my ears thought so. And I believe he said he didn't spend over $500.

Any who, that Sony sound system he has, has been out of use for the past two years and stashed in his garage at the moment (his TV broke and never bother to get it fixed) so I'm sure I could steal that from him and use it as a substitute for the time being.

Cheers guys for the advice.
    ass on the grill

Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    I've been waiting for them to port Rockbox to the Gigabeat S for two years and now that they're close my headphone jack only outputs left or right, depending on how hard you're shaking the player.
    how do you like this product pot? i almost bought it when i was first looking 2 years ago.

Just wondering, does an expensive HDMI cable perform better than a cheap one, or is it all a big scam? What cables do you guys have?
    2008, 2009, 2011, 2012-2, 2013-1...

www.monoprice.com HDMI cables for $9.

Cables are a HUGE scam. Retailers take a loss on electronics and media and then try and make up the prices by marking up things like cables and speaker wire.

Monster is essentially the Gucci of cables. If you only care about functionality, then MonoPrice or Amazon.com or whatever is the way to go.

Here's a long read about a guy who found out that a wire hanger works just as good as Monster cables:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...2&postcount=28

this thread is worth the price of admission for that article alone.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by davrone View Post
    Just wondering, does an expensive HDMI cable perform better than a cheap one, or is it all a big scam? What cables do you guys have?
    i got an HDMI cable at big lots for 14 bucks. seems pretty good, but ive never compared it to an expensive one. it IS a smaller gauge than most though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    I just purchased a 46" LCD Samsung 650 last night. Along with that I already have a Xbox 360, Wii, and the same Panasonic model blu ray player (which my dad is getting free for X-mas from work) as hawkings and tomaz.
    I was mistaken. I got a Philips and forgot. anyway the Philips works just fine.

Monoprice is the only way to go...

I'm thinking of buying an abacus. The one I'm looking at is made of implant-grade titanium with laser-engraved counting notches down the side. Alternatively, I'm also considering stockpiling dead man's hands and counting on the fingers. The first option is much more expensive but requires desecrating fewer burial sites. Thoughts?