Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Amsterdam

Default Re: Amsterdam

London is awesome. Or it was 10 years ago when I was there.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

It has been about 10 years for me too. So of course things have gotten alot more expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    The Smiths - makes me think bin Laden has a point.

London's food is much improved. My first trip there (91) I couldnt' believe how awful it was. Been there three or four times since, most recently 07, and it's now very easy to get decent food.

It is expensive as hell there now though. Crazy expensive to get a hotel.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

I was reading about Frankfurt Germany today. Germany is definitely on the list of places I want to see. Frankfurt looks to be pretty damn cool and affordable.

I ate Indian food and fish and chips a lot when I was in London. I remember at the British music festivals they had some decent food--I think it was something like a crepe which you could get "savory" (with cheese and corn) "or sweet" (with fruit). And of course, the ubiquitous bangers and mash. What an awesome food name, although I would never eat sausage.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Wij houden van het wanneer u Amerikaanse idioten aan Amsterdam komt en geld besteedt.

Amsterdam is amazing. I have been three times and spent a total of five weeks in the city. I have been in Spring, Summer, and Autumn, and it's different with each season. Prinsengracht Canal at night is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. I'll see if I can find a pic.

Of course the weed is ridiculous. The Cannibus Cup in 2006 put most American weed to complete and utter shame. As for shops, they're not really stores or dispensaries, they're coffee shops that also happen to sell cannabis. And the coffee over there is magnificent; so you get a nice cup and bag of grass, sit down in a cozy both, and puff away on a number the size of Sharpie. As soon as dispensaries let you do that, I'm in. But until then, Amsterdam will slay any American dispensary
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Amsterdam has the best pure MDMA in the world according to a knowledgeable friend of mine. This makes me think I should be moving there promptly.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

^ I can vouch for this. Even the mid-grade is miles beyond most of the "MDMA" that passes through here

Quote Originally Posted by leo01g View Post
    I want to go...
    Dont they have really good mdma too?
    Yes they do. Took a page and 1/2 to get to the response to this, but it is magnificent.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    I was reading about Frankfurt Germany today. Germany is definitely on the list of places I want to see. Frankfurt looks to be pretty damn cool and affordable.
    good food too. the best food i had in london was when we went to a german pub for dinner. that was in 1995 though, i'm sure the food has gotten better since then.

my one gripe with london was that in every museum we went to it was either torture related or it was to look at a bunch of cool stuff they stole from the rest of the world. i remember specifically being confused as to why they were showing us this throning rock from scottland they had stole in like the 1200s and wondering why they didn't just give it back, but someone on fark said they did in like 1996. still though, come on london, give that shit back to where from you got it!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    my one gripe with london was that in every museum we went to it was either torture related or it was to look at a bunch of cool stuff they stole from the rest of the world. i remember specifically being confused as to why they were showing us this throning rock from scottland they had stole in like the 1200s and wondering why they didn't just give it back, but someone on fark said they did in like 1996. still though, come on london, give that shit back to where from you got it!!!!!!
    This is actually a really huge issue in my field (museum studies), since the former colonies are now wanting back all of shit that was stolen during the rampant imperialism of the 18th, 19th, and 20th centuries.

The British Museum refuses to give anything back, especially the Elgin Marbles and the Egyptian collections, claiming that the works are more culturally significant to British national identity than they are in the lands they were stolen from. They claim that since they "found," preserved, and displayed the artifacts, the Brits have dibs on them. Kind of a finders-keepers kind of thing. Here in the U.S. is a little thing called N.A.G.P.R.A., but even that is kind of a joke.

old school

love amsterdam. was struck by how clean it was and how cool the people were.

americans make up a very small % of the "tourists" who are there to explore. backpackers from all over the world dominate the coffee shop scene, along with many locals.

they can do whatever they want with the laws, as long as they keep the Grey Area.
    Lick an orange, it tastes like an orange. Lick a pineapple, it tastes like a pineapple. Go ahead, try it. Try some more. The strawberries taste like strawberries. The snozzberries taste like snozzberries! We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. Come along, come along.

^ Yes! I love Grey Area. I think it is the only shop owned and operated by an American. It's fucking tiny, but it's a nice taste of home when you've been on the road for a couple months.

So while looking at prices for airfare to Amsterdam, I found a flight RT phoenix to dublin + 4 nights at a hostel for $620. Not bad. Very tempting.

That is a pretty solid deal. But Ireland really sucks this time of year; fucking cold and rainy. I know it's always cold and rainy in Ireland, but this time of year is REALLY FUCKING cold and rainy. In January 2006 I stayed with an Irish friend of mine for two weeks; in those two weeks I can count the number of times I saw the sun on two fingers.

Everytime I check Dublin is always the cheapest european city to fly to from Phoenix. I'm gonna see what else is out there but i'm looking at January 15th to 19th as I have a 4 day weekend and i'm gonna toss on 1 PTO day. I would love to go somewhere for that price or cheaper.

Amsterdam is one of my most favorite cities in the world. It frustrates me that it has this seedy rep because that is such a small part of what the city has to offer.

I saw on America's Next Top Model that there is a campaign to turn some of the brothels into fashion designer's studios. They are doing what they can to move away from the dirty side of Amsterdam, but in some ways it gives the city some character. Although the city has PLENTY of character, culture, and beauty outside of the red light district.

And YES OMG it has the best E I have EVER had. It was the E that brought me back through the city 4 or 5 times on my eurorail pass even though it was many miles out of our way.

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    Everytime I check Dublin is always the cheapest european city to fly to from Phoenix. I'm gonna see what else is out there but i'm looking at January 15th to 19th as I have a 4 day weekend and i'm gonna toss on 1 PTO day. I would love to go somewhere for that price or cheaper.
    Here's the deal: buy a ticket to Dublin, then fly Ryan Air or Air Lingus to the continent for $40 one way. It's a short flight, and it will save you a good chunk of change that can now be spent on food, drink, and drugs.

The city has already started to rent out some of the red light district windows and they put up manequins in some of them and different clothing designers in others. The odd part of redlight to me was the day care center right next to the brothel.

Quote Originally Posted by greghead View Post
    Here's the deal: buy a ticket to Dublin, then fly Ryan Air or Air Lingus to the continent for $40 one way. It's a short flight, and it will save you a good chunk of change that can now be spent on food, drink, and drugs.
    The problem is $40 1 way becomes $80 rout trip and then airport transfers at each of the airports and it's gonna get way costly. I want simple, direct and affordable. It might not be possible but i'm gonna do more research tonight.

$80 dollars is much less than the $300 extra they want you to pay if you fly right into Schipol. And sometimes it is much less. In March 2007 I flew from London to Amsterdam for $5. Tax and everything brought the total to almost $23.

Airport transfers? What airport transfers? Land in Dublin, spend a night or two drinking, then hop on a plane to the continent, spend a few days over there and then come back. No transfers, no fees.

There are many different ways to do it if you're willing to spend a little extra time instead of extra money

if you're worried about $80 airfare on a trip to europe, may not be the time to be heading to europe that's less than a rail pass in most places, christ.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Amsterdam is one of my most favorite cities in the world. It frustrates me that it has this seedy rep because that is such a small part of what the city has to offer.

And YES OMG it has the best E I have EVER had. It was the E that brought me back through the city 4 or 5 times on my eurorail pass even though it was many miles out of our way.
    I can't believe the rep Amsterdam has either Gunz, BUT OMG THE DRUGZ WERE SO GOOD !!! I WENT BACK 10 TIMES AND GOT SUPER FUKKED UP!!!
    DRUGSDRUGGGZZZZDRUGGGGSSSGZZZ
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

You pick on the best of me.

Oh and I would take my daughter there in a second. I wouldn't be the least bit nervous.
    Last edited by algunz; 12-09-2008 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    if you're worried about $80 airfare on a trip to europe, may not be the time to be heading to europe that's less than a rail pass in most places, christ.
    The issue would be more about the time wasted in different airports. I only have 5 days off total and I lose a day in flights there and back and at airports here and in europe if I continue my journey. Dublin is cool and cold weather doesn't bother me. I'm gonna see what other european options are available as well.

wow, 5 days, that's a hardcore trip!

no bus

is it as easy to get the crackhed drugs such as crack, meth and herion just as easy as it is to get weed? just wondering, i dont smoke crack anymore i quit two weeks ago. or did i?

why would you go to amsterdam for crack?! might as well get a hot dog & apple pie while you're there.

I think I made sense of your post, mlfucker.

I was offered all of the above drugs in the red light district, but who's to say what you're actually getting on the streets. I did see quite a few people strung out and living on the streets. But that scene seemed to be kept to the RL district.

I stayed in a hostel on the edge of the RLD and one afternoon we were trapped in our building for at least 5 hours because of an ongoing murder investigation. Luckily the downstairs was a coffeeshop, so we were takin care of.