Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Knife composes Darwin-inspired opera, "Tomorrow in a Year"

Default The Knife composes Darwin-inspired opera, "Tomorrow in a Year"

Intriguing ...

THE KNIFE IS WRITING AN OPERA... OLOF DREIJER CURRENTLY IN THE AMAZON, FIELD RECORDING ANIMALS, FISH AND PLANTS...

From website for Danish performance company Hotel Pro Forma

Darwinís perception of nature and time forms the basis for Hotel Pro Formaís new performance Tomorrow, in a year. A performance of evolution and change, of transformation and mutation. One that does not deal with Darwin but acts like Darwin.

In November 2009, it is precisely 150 years since Charles Darwin published The Origin of Species, a work that describes the biological and geological world, as it has come into existence and continues to do so every single day. Our view of the world has been changed for ever as a result of the theory of evolution. Tomorrow, in a year uses Darwinís way of observing and describing the world. Change as a process and the interrelationship of all things is the basic material of the performance.

Tomorrow, in a year is an opera. The opera concept places the performance on a large scale and in a space of reality where expression dominates. The Swedish music group The Knife creates completely new compositions that challenge the conventional conception of opera. The form is experimental and exploratory. The music is written for three singers who come from different backgrounds: electronica pop, classical opera and performance. They are the protagonists of the performance, displaying three ways of experiencing the world. They are the spokesman, the organiser, and the one who acts. They are structure, sensation, form, time and thought.

The Japanese choreographer and dancer Hiroaki Umeda creates the choreography for six dancers of different ages and physiognomies, based on classical or modern dance. They are organisms, raw material, bodies that enter into various contexts; they are main and secondary characters in a changing process.
    http://www.thedailyswarm.com/headlin...sh-and-plants/

The Knife composes Darwin-inspired opera, "Tomorrow in a Year"

Scandinavia brings to mind a few things: snow, darkness, blue eyes/blonde hair, and some degree of mystery, the latter based on some combination of the first three. Swedish brother and sister electronica group, The Knife, appear to be playing on this image, and are currently working on an opera (!) that seems to embrace the abstract. The opera, "Tomorrow in a Year," is to be influenced by Darwin's Origin of the Species, and is scheduled to be performed in Fall, 2009. The group is working on this project with Japanese choreographer and dancer Hiroaki Umeda.

The three singers and performers are to come from different musical backgrounds: electronica pop, classical opera and performance. According to the opera's website, "They (the performers) are the protagonists of the performance, displaying three ways of experiencing the world. They are the spokesman, the organiser, and the one who acts. They are structure, sensation, form, time and thought."
    http://www.prefixmag.com/news/the-kn...morrow-/23530/

... but I wish they would just play Coachella or do a couple shows again. Especially since there is probably zero chance this will be performed in the U.S.

Default Re: The Knife composes Darwin-inspired opera, "Tomorrow in a Year"

That sounds absolutely awful. I bet the music will be good though...

Can we get this on the main stage? With live animals?

What the fuck is this? How about a new album? Maybe a tour? Maybe Coachella?
    Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    And I have a dick for you to eat if youre hungry still.

They are the new boards of Canada, they will NEVER play.(well again, cause this happens or somebody gets prego every other year)

The Swedish music group The Knife creates completely new compositions that challenge the conventional conception of opera. The form is experimental and exploratory. The music is written for three singers who come from different backgrounds: electronica pop, classical opera and performance.

"Challenging the conventional conception of opera" is so last (this) year.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Photos from Karin:

Pitchfork update:

I'll bake the cake, you round up the candles: November 2009 marks the 150th birthday of Charles Darwin's epochal evolution text On the Origin of Species. And who better to commemorate the occasion than, okay, the Knife! With an opera?? Next thing you'll tell me Adam and Eve aren't actually my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandparents.

According to their website, the Knife's Olof Dreijer and Karin Dreijer Andersson have been enlisted to write both the music and libretto (i.e., words) for Danish theater group Hotel Pro Forma's upcoming production Tomorrow, in a Year. The piece is set to debut in Copenhagen in November 2009, and takes as its inspiration Darwin's thoughts on evolution, change, transformation, and mutation.

Quoth the press materials, the production "uses Darwin's way of observing and describing the world. Change as a process and the interrelationship of all things is the basic material of the performance...Tomorrow, in a Year points to evolution as a field of possibilities, where nature unfolds its great liberality, finding niches and new paths. The musical and visual components of the performance are shown as fragments, as parts of the world that are uncovered and studied. A recognisable sequence emerges, only to mutate and change into a number of subsequent species. There is a development from preliminaries to totality to renewed change." Sounds...artsy.

As for the band's contributions, "The Swedish music group the Knife creates completely new compositions that challenge the conventional conception of opera. The form is experimental and exploratory. The music is written for three singers who come from different backgrounds: electronica pop, classical opera, and performance. They are the protagonists of the performance, displaying three ways of experiencing the world. They are the spokesman, the organiser, and the one who acts. They are structure, sensation, form, time, and thought." Hey, as long as I can dance to it, count me in.

The Knife's site notes that brother Olof is presently in the Amazon doing field recordings of animals, fish, and plants, while sister Karin is credited with taking the intriguing-looking publicity stills for Tomorrow, in a Year you see here.
    http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/articl...inspired-opera

Photos from Karin:

Pitchfork update:

I'll bake the cake, you round up the candles: November 2009 marks the 150th birthday of Charles Darwin's epochal evolution text On the Origin of Species. And who better to commemorate the occasion than, okay, the Knife! With an opera?? Next thing you'll tell me Adam and Eve aren't actually my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandparents.

According to their website, the Knife's Olof Dreijer and Karin Dreijer Andersson have been enlisted to write both the music and libretto (i.e., words) for Danish theater group Hotel Pro Forma's upcoming production Tomorrow, in a Year. The piece is set to debut in Copenhagen in November 2009, and takes as its inspiration Darwin's thoughts on evolution, change, transformation, and mutation.

Quoth the press materials, the production "uses Darwin's way of observing and describing the world. Change as a process and the interrelationship of all things is the basic material of the performance...Tomorrow, in a Year points to evolution as a field of possibilities, where nature unfolds its great liberality, finding niches and new paths. The musical and visual components of the performance are shown as fragments, as parts of the world that are uncovered and studied. A recognisable sequence emerges, only to mutate and change into a number of subsequent species. There is a development from preliminaries to totality to renewed change." Sounds...artsy.

As for the band's contributions, "The Swedish music group the Knife creates completely new compositions that challenge the conventional conception of opera. The form is experimental and exploratory. The music is written for three singers who come from different backgrounds: electronica pop, classical opera, and performance. They are the protagonists of the performance, displaying three ways of experiencing the world. They are the spokesman, the organiser, and the one who acts. They are structure, sensation, form, time, and thought." Hey, as long as I can dance to it, count me in.

The Knife's site notes that brother Olof is presently in the Amazon doing field recordings of animals, fish, and plants, while sister Karin is credited with taking the intriguing-looking publicity stills for Tomorrow, in a Year you see here.
    http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/articl...inspired-opera

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post

... but I wish they would just play Coachella or do a couple shows again. Especially since there is probably zero chance this will be performed in the U.S.
    seriously
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Nocturnal Wonderland Saturday, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl, Festival Supreme, Coachella 2015

Banned

This is going to be the fucking sickest thing ever. Who wants to book tickets to Copenhagen? It's about a year from now.

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

Well shit, scratch them off the list for 09.

It sounds like a pretty interesting concept.

Banned

dude, they were never on any list. if you had them on your list, you're crazy.

Dare to dream. DARE TO DREAM!!!!

Yeah, I assumed there was no chance, but any inkling of hope is now put to rest.

Banned

fuck it. lets go see some opera.

If I could afford it I would love to use this performance as an excuse to go to Europe. Wait, when is it opening? I'm going to be in Spain, France and Italy from late August to early September. Bleh, they'll probably only perform in the Scandinavian countries anyway.

The Knife, Karin's project with brother Olof, are to release the studio version of the opera ‘Tomorrow, In A Year’, in collaboration with Mt. Sims and Planningtorock, on the 1st March 2010

Commissioned by Danish performance group Hotel Pro Forma to write the music for their opera based on Charles Darwin and his book ‘On the Origin of the Species’, The Knife decided to make this a collaborative process, working with artists Mt. Sims and Planningtorock for the first time, to capture the huge width of the Darwin and evolution theme. They extensively researched Darwin related literature and articles, with Olof attending a field recording workshop in the Amazon to find inspiration and to record sounds.

The first track from the album, called Colouring Of Pigeons, is free to download from the knife's website here. You can also sign up for more news about The Knife there.

For more information about the album see the full introduction on theknife.net here.

Karin on Colouring Of Pigeons: "The title is taken from Charles Darwin's studies of pigeons, a breakthrough of his examinations, coming home after The Beagle trip, it is when when he started to discover the genetics transfered within generations. It is a track maximizing the results of his studies. I thought of the "diversity of everything" something we have discussed a lot with Hotel Pro Forma, and a non-hierarchical way of seeing things. All the small details he studied and made notes of, like a pile of ants, an ants hill. Also a feeling of seeing things for the first time, overwhelming and shaken, but not afraid."
    http://theknife.net/

Pushing the experimental process further still, composer, choreographer, costume designer and set designer worked separately, only coming together 3 and a half months before the first performance of ‘Tomorrow, In A Year’ in Copenhagen on the 2nd September 2009. Described as “shifting the position of operartic art in a single leap”, further performances of ‘Tomorrow, In A Year’ are confirmed to take place in Athens (8-9 Jan), Stockholm (29 Jan-1 Feb), and Munster (5 June), with further dates to be announced.

Tracklist:
    CD 1
    01. Intro
    02. Epochs
    03. Geology
    04. Upheaved
    05. Minerals
    06. Ebb Tide Explorer
    07. Variation of Birds
    08. Letter to Henslow
    09. Schoal Swarm Orchestra

CD 2
    01. Annie’s Box
    02. Tumult
    03. Colouring of Pigeons
    04. Seeds
    05. Tomorrow in a Year
    06. The Height of Summer

Bonus track
    07. Annie's Box (alt. vocal)

Holy Shit. please let there be a US show.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Bits of Colouring of Pigeons really reminds me of Kate Bush, in a way The Knife's stuff doesn't usually. Curious.

EDIT: This is probably the most awkward sentence I've ever constructed. Clarity fail.
    Last edited by MissingPerson; 01-06-2010 at 08:05 AM.

this sounds so fucking cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Wooooooow take me there!
    Quote Originally Posted by shaggyduck View Post
    More laser beams is ALWAYS prefered to less laser beams. ALWAYS.

I want to go to there

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I want to go to there
    Yes! God Bless 30 Rock
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Wow, this song is so fucking awesome. It's really neat to hear something that sounds so organic from them.

I am writhing in anticipation. It's so strange and exciting how much material we've gotten from Karin over the course of a year!
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Downloadable version posted in a thread in the rumors section:

Quote Originally Posted by oyeloca View Post

Fuck, this is amazing... This needs to hit the US at least once.
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

Thanks Blackswan!
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Thanks Blackswan!
    Ditto!
    Quote Originally Posted by shaggyduck View Post
    More laser beams is ALWAYS prefered to less laser beams. ALWAYS.

today is so much happy music day
    last.fm

oh man oh man, song is epic.