Page 254 of 286 FirstFirst ... 249250251252253254255256257258259 ... LastLast
Results 7,591 to 7,620 of 8561

Thread: MissingPerson's Official Lovely Non-Threatening Arcade Fire Joy Parade.

Default Re: MissingPerson's Official Lovely Non-Threatening Arcade Fire Joy Parade.

I don't know, I'm pretty fond of the rusty live versions of Month of May.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Default Re: MissingPerson's Official Lovely Non-Threatening Arcade Fire Joy Parade.

I watched the special. Here Comes The Night was cool, don't remember much of the second song...the last one (Normal Person?) had potential but came off rather 'ordinary' sounding in the chorus.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewski27 View Post
    Here Comes the Night Time had me curious, but i would agree on hearing the album as a whole first. And the special after SNL wasn't anything life altering. entertaining, sure.
    That's quite the approach.

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    But all those tracks that didn't make the cut are still so much better than Month of May =/
    Agreed. I really hope they play "Modern Man." I feel like I'm one of the few who actually likes that song.
    Last edited by Gribbz; 10-01-2013 at 08:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater
    Tycho - 9/20 - Emo's
    Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

Isn't Normal Person like take 2 of Modern Man?
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Lyrically, maybe.
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    Isn't Normal Person like take 2 of Modern Man?
    yes, this is what i was thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

September 24 - Modest Mouse - Vina Robles Amp.
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

I haven't watched the special yet, but I did just watch the main SNL performance. Reflektor was probably the goofiest performance I've ever seen on that show, but I loved every minute of it.
    9/17 - Buzzcocks - Fonda (?)
    9/20 - Crosby, Stills & Nash - Santa Barbara Bowl
    9/21 - Caetano Veloso - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Eh, I'm not sold on this new Arcade Fire. I'll hold final judgement until I listen to the whole album though.
    Yep, I felt the same thing after watching SNL performance/NBC special last night. The only thing that stuck out was the ending of "Here Comes the Night Time." I mean the audience doing synchronized dance was just ridiculous.

Spin heard the album last night...

The experience of the advance "listening session" is an unnatural way to hear an album, especially for the first time: You've got one chance to conjure all kinds of deep thoughts and definitive judgments about a body of work people have usually labored over for years. Unlike a film screening, only your sense of hearing is engaged, and because music tends to conjure a sense of place, you can end up envisioning the walls of a conference room and the blank stares of the other people at the session every time you hear certain songs for years afterward. And although the listening session for Arcade Fire’s fourth LP Reflektor, due October 29 on Merge Records, was held at New York’s famed Electric Lady Studios in a lovely dimmed room with a pair of kick-ass speakers, this knee-jerk pre-reviewer freely admits to many shortcomings in the following due to the above factors.

1. REFLEKTOR SOUNDS LIKE ARCADE FIRE, BUT THEY'RE A WHOLE NEW BAND.
    That majestic, cinematic, anthemic sound is still there but it's subtler, and the group's confidence, swing, and swagger have grown by leaps and bounds. They've also finally learned how to put some air in their music: The album veers masterfully from spare to sprawling (and vice versa) in an instant.

2. THE DANCEY THING PRETTY MUCH GOES AWAY AFTER THE FIRST COUPLE OF SONGS...
    ... Although the emphasis on rhythm doesn't. The album opens with the by-now-well-known title track, which is essentially a several-minute-long “extended dance remix” of a three-and-a-half minute song, like on the countless 1980s-era 12-inch singles that co-producer James Murphy spins when he DJs. (He probably even knows that the early Soft Cell and Duran Duran 12-inch remixes destroy the album versions.) And while we’re on that topic, the bassline of the second track, "We Exist" (the disco-y second song performed on the Arcade Fire in Here Comes the Night Time program that followed Saturday Night Live last weekend) is "Like a Virgin" grafted onto "Billie Jean."

8. THE STRINGS ARE PRESENT BUT MUCH LESS PROMINENT THAN BEFORE.
    Arcade Fire are now a sextet, with Sarah Neufeld relegated to a full-time supporting/touring role similar to that of fellow violinist Owen Pallette.

12. JOIN US IN PRAYER THAT REFLEKTOR DOES NOT TURN ARCADE FIRE INTO U2... ANY MORE THAN THEY ALREADY ARE.
    Because it could. Reflektor is like Mad Men or a Mercedes or Jonathan Franzen’s Freedom: whether or not you like it, the quality of the art and the scale of the accomplishment are undeniable.
    http://www.spin.com/articles/arcade-...-first-listen/

9/16 Seth Troxler @ Standard
    9/17 Ty Segall @ Webster
    9/18 Kode 9 @ Verboten
    9/19 The Replacements @ Forest Hills Stadium
    9/20 There Will Be Blood Live @ United Palace

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

FWIW, I've always loved this band because they could become the next U2. Widescreen ambition and big emotions and the communal experience of both are supposed to be shunned why exactly? Especially when artistry and innovation aren't sacrificed . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Because Bono is cancer.
    September 16 - Earth
    September 18 - DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer

Win butler is too dorky to ever become bono, that's why he's such a great frontman

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Widescreen ambition and big emotions and the communal experience of both are supposed to be shunned why exactly? Especially when artistry and innovation aren't sacrificed . . .
    I'm with you. Also, I'm not the least bit sad that Reflektor won't have an abundance of string sections and that Arcade Fire sounds like a "whole new band." It's important (for better or for worse) that artists evolve and don't put out the same record over and over again.

Tycho - 9/20 - Emo's

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    FWIW, I've always loved this band because they could become the next U2. Widescreen ambition and big emotions and the communal experience of both are supposed to be shunned why exactly? Especially when artistry and innovation aren't sacrificed . . .
    I totally agree

I thought Coldplay were the next U2.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post

Suburbs tracks that won't make the cut:
    Modern Man
    Empty Room
    Suburban War
    City With No children
    Speaking in Tongues
    Deep Blue
    Half Light II (No Celebration)
    Ready to Start
    Rococco
    Sprawl I (Flatland)

Rococo is too bombastic to not make the set list.

Ready to Start will be the first song of the first encore.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Rococo is awful.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    Rococo is awful.
    The chorus makes me cringe. So bad. I dig the music itself, though.

Tycho - 9/20 - Emo's

Quote Originally Posted by zircona1 View Post
    I thought Coldplay were the next U2.
    The problem is that Coldplay have paradoxically modeled all of their work after post-2000 U2.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

I would love to hear City With No Children and Modern Man. I'm also bummed about the strings but I missed em last time around so, oh well. I'm glad I saw them on the polo fields in '07 though I don't remember a whole lot.

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    I'm also bummed about the strings but I missed em last time around so, oh well.
    They'll be present live at least.

Tycho - 9/20 - Emo's

Clash Music coming in and pooping on the party with their review.

http://www.clashmusic.com/reviews/arcade-fire-reflektor
    Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    with all the pain in the world and Urban Outfitters sadding the navajo yall should not use the word "scalpers" please increase the peace.

Eh, I'm not sold on this new Arcade Fire. I'll hold final judgement until I listen to the whole album though.
    Hold judgement? Between SNL and the aftershow - you've already heard 5 tracks!
    "ain't no thang but a chicken wang"

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    I would love to hear City With No Children and Modern Man. I'm also bummed about the strings but I missed em last time around so, oh well. I'm glad I saw them on the polo fields in '07 though I don't remember a whole lot.
    Who needs strings when you have congas!
    "ain't no thang but a chicken wang"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Fuzz View Post
    ...and 5 tracks isn't even half the album, you dummy.
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

September 24 - Modest Mouse - Vina Robles Amp.
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Fuzz View Post
    Do you work for their label or something?
    September 16 - Earth
    September 18 - DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer

Quote Originally Posted by Jman4321 View Post
    Clash Music coming in and pooping on the party with their review.

http://www.clashmusic.com/reviews/arcade-fire-reflektor
    I can't believe I wasted my time reading that review. What a bunch of elitist nonsense... apparently the Arcade Fire backlash is in full force with this schmuck.

AF coming to your arena soon!

Back in America, Murphy and Dravs, plus two engineers, cranked out mixes in several New York studios – but the band refused to let go. "It happened on almost every song," says Murphy. "We would have mixed it and put it away, and they'd go back to Montreal and add something, change it and mix it again. It was a very ambitious process."

In April, Chassagne and Butler had their first child. (How's parenthood? "Bonkers," says Butler.) Next year, Arcade Fire will hit the road on a massive tour, joined by the Haitian percussionists who played with them on Saturday Night Live's season premiere. "I'm really excited to hear what the band sounds like in a year, after we've got a bunch of touring under our belt," says Butler. "We were really changed by those experiences in Haiti and Jamaica. I was like, 'Oh, shit, we could be really good. We could get good at this music thing.'"
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...yssey-20131008

9/16 Seth Troxler @ Standard
    9/17 Ty Segall @ Webster
    9/18 Kode 9 @ Verboten
    9/19 The Replacements @ Forest Hills Stadium
    9/20 There Will Be Blood Live @ United Palace

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

- I am touring full-time with Arcade Fire as one of several "non-pictured" members-- the others may or may not include Tiwill (percussion), Diol (percussion), Marika (currently on mat. leave), Colin (sax), Michael (sax).
    With Owen's confirmation of Marika, that makes 13 touring members this time around:
    • Win
    • Régine
    • Richard
    • William
    • Jeremy
    • Tim
    • Sarah
    • Marika
    • Owen Pallett
    • Colin Stetson & Michael Lewis (Brass)
    • Tiwill & Diol (Two Hatian Precussionists)

Looks like they might be playing surprise shows in Brooklyn on Friday and Saturday

http://www.stereogum.com/1519172/arc...his-week/news/
    8/29-Classixx (Crescent Ballroom)
    9/19-Eric Prydz (The Pressroom)
    10/1-The Gaslight Anthem (Marquee Theatre)
    10/10-12-Austin City Limits Weekend 2
    10/24-Warpaint (The Pressrom)
    10/25-Arctic Monkeys (Comerica Theatre)
    10/30-Jimmy Eat World (Marquee Theatre)
    11/3-Yelle (Crescent Ballroom)
    11/10-The Black Keys (US Airways Center)
    11/12-Judas Priest (Jobing.com Arena)
    4/10-12-Coachella Weekend 1

I was talking to my dad today about how Arcade Fire is doing those Brooklyn shows so there maybe an Los Angeles show being announce soon and that I would keep an eye to get him a pair if so/tell him how to get tickets.Well he has a crush with Régine and goes " I was looking at some photos of her and she is kinda of ugly.I do not know what it is but I find her still hot." I thought it was funny enough to post.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Jack White @ Bill .... 08/22/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm