Page 250 of 286 FirstFirst ... 245246247248249250251252253254255 ... LastLast
Results 7,471 to 7,500 of 8561

Thread: MissingPerson's Official Lovely Non-Threatening Arcade Fire Joy Parade.

Default Re: MissingPerson's Official Lovely Non-Threatening Arcade Fire Joy Parade.

Merge has the 12" in stock with free shipping for those who missed last night:

https://www.mergerecords.com/store/s...catalog_id=957
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Default Re: MissingPerson's Official Lovely Non-Threatening Arcade Fire Joy Parade.

i just called my local store and asked if they had any copies of the single, he said 'not yet'.

confused
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

The band took the stage at 9PM wearing the costumes they had donned on the street. It was immediately clear that a few things were different about Arcade Fire. Gone was the second drum kit of their early years and the Suburbs tour. Instead, they had two additional percussionists playing a mixture of congas, timbales, wood blocks, bongos, and other instruments, adding much more rhythmic complexity and power to their sound throughout the set. There were no horn players present and Sarah Neufeld was the only devoted violinist; Owen Pallett was there, and switched between violin and keyboards. Otherwise, the band’s instrumentation consisted of guitars, drums, and synths/keys. In this way, Arcade Fire presented themselves not as barons of symphonic indie rock anthems, but as the tightest of house bands ready to provide a sweaty night of dancing tunes. That said, and as anyone should expect, their anthemic choruses still crept in between the beats.

The set was short and only contained songs from Reflektor. Here’s the setlist in as much detail as I can recall.

01 “Reflektor”: Anyone who watched the Internet on 9/9/9 knows what this song sounds like by now. It came across every bit as thumping, dark, and moody as the album cut, with the loud guitar bursts hitting especially hard and bringing an extra level of urgency that doesn’t come across over an MP3 stream. Unfortunately, this performance featured one fewer David Bowie than on the single. However, what did make the live version particularly different and interesting was the addition of a long salsa percussion jam at the beginning.

02 Unknown: Next they transitioned into to a simpler, less syncopated percussion jam, which slowly morphed into this melodic guitar and keyboard-driven tune that recalled Born In The U.S.A.-era Springsteen. Jeremy Gara and the other two percussionists provided a thick mid-tempo beat while Pallett played synths and Regine Chassagne accompanied Win Butler on a soaring and yearning lead vocal melody.

03 Unknown: This whole song was grounded by a synth bass line that sounded like the love child of “Billie Jean” and the very beginning of “Livin’ On A Prayer.” Needless to say, it was an upbeat, charging disco number, and inspired more hands-in-the-air dancing among the crowd than anything else after “Reflektor.” It was also one of the more Talking Heads-y moments of the night (that bass line sounded kind of like “Naive Melody” too, though less friendly), but it fell back on Arcade Fire’s trusty guitars for release in the chorus.

Win addresses the crowd: “We are called the Reflektors, and we are from Montreal, Quebec, Canada,” thus indicating how far they went with the whole pseudonym thing. At no point in the night did they refer to themselves as Arcade Fire.

04 Unknown: Richard Reed Parry started into a slow, bluesy guitar riff, and the band added layer after layer of slap bass, clavichord-style synth, and more guitar. It all built into a swampy, funky groove that would have felt at home on the loudest Dr. John record ever. More so than any other song they played last night, it was hard to picture how this one would sound on record, since it worked perfectly as an in-concert jam and pace setter but didn’t have a clear structure.

Win: “We haven’t played together in a while, so thanks for being so into this.”

05 Unknown: Everything up until now had been pretty awesome, but the next three songs totally killed and were the highlight of the night. They brought another level of nuance, melody, and experimentation to the sounds we had heard so far, hinting at the possible depth of the album as a whole. This one began with a guitar line straight from the Cars and kept its promise by moving into a fun, shout-along song for driving in the sun during the year 1978. The guitars grew louder and more snarling around a four-chord progression, exploding into an awe-inspiring state of controlled chaos.

06 Unknown: They transitioned into a dark, cascading electro song, with Win and Regine’s dual lead vocals propelled forward by Gara’s rolling toms. I can’t wait to hear this one again to pick apart its layers.

07 Unknown: Whatever this was, I thought it was the best song of the night. It sounded something like New Order’s “Bizarre Love Triangle,” but happier, bigger, and more rhythmically nuanced. The crowd’s reaction was infectiously positive, as if everyone was shocked and elated to be hearing their new favorite song.

08 “Here Comes The Nighttime”: As Win strapped on a twelve-string acoustic guitar, he uttered the least trustworthy statement in rock: “This is our last song!” It began with a fast and energetic mariachi-style beat and transitioned suddenly into something more beachy. This seemed like a bit of a novelty tune, designed to get people dancing, but the chorus was irresistible and had everyone singing along right away.

This was when Win defied expectations and delivered on his promise to bring the show to a close, leaving the stage as the band continued playing, walking through the crowd, and taking a seat next to the sound man. My hope that he was over there discussing mix levels was dashed when the music petered out and he threw on a salsa track. The show was officially over and Win had assumed the role of DJ. Instead of going back into their dressing room, the remaining band members moved into the bar and mingled with the crowd. It seemed like their final addition to the Reflektor/dance/salsa theme was to throw a party with everyone who attended the show.
    http://www.stereogum.com/1466661/rep...-9913/concert/

10/14 Warpaint @ Webster
    10/15 Flying Lotus @ Terminal 5
    10/16 Flying Lotus @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
    10/18 Ben Frost @ Wick
    10/18 Ambivalent/Mike Dehnert @ Output

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    i just called my local store and asked if they had any copies of the single, he said 'not yet'.

confused
    my store only got 15 copies and they said that they were going to be getting more in throughout the week.

October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer
    November 19 - eyehategod
    January 31 - Mayhem/Watain

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Are these only sold at Amoeba?

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Warpaint 10/27, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tegan & Sara 11/14, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

Per my post like five posts up, you can buy it right now from Merge at face value with free shipping.

I found out by accident that this song sounds pretty cool at 33rpm.

October 29 - The Melvins
    November 18 - Slayer
    November 19 - eyehategod

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I found out by accident that this song sounds pretty cool at 33rpm.
    I did the same thing.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Per my post like five posts up, you can buy it right now from Merge at face value with free shipping.
    2-4 weekd for shipping, but whatever. Thanks for the heads up.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....

whiney pain in butt

whiney pain in butt

whiney pain in butt

Did anyone actually preorder the vinyl with those shipping rates?
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    Did anyone actually preorder the vinyl with those shipping rates?
    I did only for the chance to get tickets first for the upcoming tour.

October 29 - The Melvins
    November 18 - Slayer
    November 19 - eyehategod

Ditto. I will be front row or pit if there is one for every AF show I go to on this tour, that's my goal.
    Last edited by ameeps; 09-11-2013 at 11:37 AM.

Check out my concert photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/ameeps/
    August
    1 - Arcade Fire - Forum
    2 - Arcade Fire - Forum
    4 - Arcade Fire - Santa Barbara Bowl
    8-10 - Outside Lands - Golden Gate Park
    14 - Death From Above 1979 - Troubadour
    20 - The Strokes - Chelsea at Cosmopolitan

wow, good to know. all over that, but holy fuck shipping is awful

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

This is my favorite Arcade Fire song in nine years.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

The massive paper mache heads in the video reminded me of something that I quite couldn't place, but then I remembered U2 did something very similar during the Zoo TV era.

More here.

the digital download preorder still qualified you for first ticket whatever, but i got the vinyl as well. it was the price of the record more than the digital download, which came with it.

I'm in Amoeba right now and just came across several copies of something called "The Reflektors." 12-inch record, 14 songs, pressed on Merge Records. Uses the EXACT SAME artwork as the "Reflektor" single. Anyone have any idea what this is?
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Nevermind, it's the single. Didn't know it was already out on vinyl.
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival
    10/22: Roman Flugel @ f8
    10/25: Moodymann @ PW
    11/20: The Drive by Truckers, Sturgill Simpson @ The Fillmore

All and all, it's pretty cool of Win to take the time to personally respond to the complaints of an unemployed freelance writer who literally had no property interest affected by the vandalism, but did have a substantial interest in getting his foot in the door of clicktroll publishing.

"I like street art in my neighborhood, unless it's something I can write about."

The whole, "we like the stark, so I don't consider it graffiti or offensive" is a bit troublesome, but in a lot of ways I agree with his position that doing this isn't really underground, subversive "art" as much as it is a fairly normative marketing scheme.

10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival
    10/22: Roman Flugel @ f8
    10/25: Moodymann @ PW
    11/20: The Drive by Truckers, Sturgill Simpson @ The Fillmore

I can get on board with that critique. There's a part of the marketing scheme for this album that's selling itself as outre and forward-thinking, when it's actually pretty conventional. The guerrilla art thing is a cliche at this point.

The part of the album release cycle that should be celebrated was turning the single release into a record store event, and doing the multimedia rollout at the same time. That's how you can successfully bridge the gap between your current level of mainstream success with your roots in what's left of underground, meaningful music culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    an unemployed freelance writer who literally had no property interest affected by the vandalism
    BUT HIS WIFE WORKED THERE. SHE HAD TO SEE IT! DON'T FEED ME YOUR BOURGEOIS OWNERSHIP BIAS CRAP. WE ARE THE 99%.

that was a pretty poorly written article. it wasn't til i got to the end that I was able to determine that it was actually vandalism ("my wife’s boss spent hours cleaning the posters and paste off the wall"; up until that point I hadn't ruled out the possibility that the owner had accepted payment); and Win's note makes it clear that what was intended was much less destructive than what was actually done.

But the #1 takeaway was -- Win sure writes his name weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Quote Originally Posted by nationocean View Post
    I'M JUST A COPY OF A COPY OF A COPY OF A

Disc 1:
    1. "Reflektor"
    2. "We Exist"
    3. "Flashbulb Eyes"
    4. "Here Comes the Night Time"
    5. "Normal Person"
    6. "You Already Know"
    7. "Joan of Arc"

Disc 2:
    1. "Here Comes the Night Time II"
    2. "Awful Sound (Oh Eurydice)"
    3. "It's Never Over (Oh Orpheus)"
    4. "Porno"
    5. "Afterlife"
    6. "Supersymmetry"
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.