Page 239 of 283 FirstFirst ... 234235236237238239240241242243244 ... LastLast
Results 7,141 to 7,170 of 8475

Thread: MissingPerson's Official Lovely Non-Threatening Arcade Fire Joy Parade.

Default Re: MissingPerson's Official Lovely Non-Threatening Arcade Fire Joy Parade.

I agree wholeheartedly, but then again I do despise the young with a rarely paralleled intensity.

Default Re: MissingPerson's Official Lovely Non-Threatening Arcade Fire Joy Parade.

Amen!
    "It began as a mistake" - Charles Bukowski

Wanted:
    1. Nachos
    2. Puppies

My contempt for kids - and indeed the kids - has been a source of much ideological conflict with this band, as you can imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by emtgreg View Post
    albums > babies
    Quote Originally Posted by MissingPerson View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly, but then again I do despise the young with a rarely paralleled intensity.
    I love you both.
    My name is Becca. Hi.

Facebook, yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    If it was supposed to be a joke, there'd be a cat in the picture somewhere. That's how you can tell, on the internet.

You know what I don't love?

Babies.

Wanted:
    1. Nachos
    2. Puppies

Hahaha...thanks for the new sig.
    My name is Becca. Hi.

Facebook, yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    If it was supposed to be a joke, there'd be a cat in the picture somewhere. That's how you can tell, on the internet.

*clicks like*

Wanted:
    1. Nachos
    2. Puppies

Two Montréal shows - one possibly free - to be announced tomorrow, 'pparently.

Also, here's some unflatteringly daylight photos from Moncton with U2.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93778784@N00/5999250655/

old school

Atleast out east gets the terrible winners, it makes up for our lack of Arcade Fire shows.

I really hope they play Speaking in Tongues at OL.

"Free outdoor show on 9/22 at Place de Festivals as part of Pop Montreal. Also, this is likely the last Arcade Fire show for 2011 and for a while"

Karkwa opening.

VIP tickets available for a donation to Kanpe - http://www.kanpe.org/get-2-vip-passe...-of-kanpe.html

This is neat:

http://www.aux.tv/2011/08/sappyfests...-shark-attack/

And out of interest, Scenes from the Suburbs is currently 1.99 on iTunes:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/music-vid...bs/id453638702

But to be honest, you'll probably get more straight up entertainment value out of the Making Of:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/music-vid...bs/id453638703

Celebrating of the one-year anniversary of The Suburbs in August, Merge will release The Suburbs Deluxe on Tuesday, August 2! A select group of independent record stores are helping to share the excitement with a series of special giveaways during release week. Visit these stores for the chance to get your hands on a poster, CD or LP personally autographed by Arcade Fire!

Amoeba – Los Angeles, CA
    Bull Moose – Portland, ME
    Cactus Music – Houston, TX
    Criminal Records – Atlanta, GA
    Dearborn Music – Dearborn, MI
    Disc Exchange – Knoxville, TN
    Ear X-Tacy – Louisville, KY
    Earshot – Greenville, SC
    Easy Street – Seattle, WA
    Electric Fetus – Minneapolis, MN
    Fingerprints – Long Beach, CA
    Galaxy – Hamilton, OH
    Good Records – Dallas, TX
    Graywhale – Taylorsville, UT
    Grimey’s – Nashville, TN
    Love Garden – Lawrence, KS
    Magnolia Thunderpussy Records – Columbus, OH
    Main Street Music – Manayunk, PA
    Monster – Charleston, SC
    Music Millennium – Portland, OR
    Music Saves – Cleveland, OH
    Other Music – New York, NY
    Park Ave CD – Orlando, FL
    Record Exchange – Boise, ID
    Repo Music – Philadelphia, PA
    Mad Platter – Claremont, CA
    Schoolkids Records – Raleigh, NC
    Sonic Boom – Seattle, WA
    Sound Fix – Brooklyn, NY
    Sound Garden – Baltimore, MD
    Strictly Discs – Madison, WI
    Twist & Shout – Denver, CO
    Vintage Vinyl – St. Louis, MO
    ZIA Records – Phoenix, AZ
    Last edited by MissingPerson; 08-03-2011 at 11:47 PM.

Fuck, they're not kidding around with this Montreal show:

Pop Montreal and the band had been working on the idea of doing a big free show for the past eight months; but as exciting as it is, coordinating an event of this magnitude is a logistical feat.

"It's been nerve-racking," said festival director Dan Seligman. "It's the biggest thing we've undertaken." The budget for the concert is almost $1 million, he said, adding that Arcade Fire is not taking a performance fee.

A big part of the pre-production work has involved raising the necessary money, through help from government funding agencies and various sponsors. Promoter Evenko is also on board, contributing welcome experience in areas such as staging and security.

But while there were lots of doors to be knocked on, mentioning the name "Arcade Fire" went a long way toward opening them:

"They're the darlings of the Canadian music scene," Seligman said. "It wasn't hard to convince people that it's a good initiative."

Place des Festivals is the Jeanne Mance St. plaza used by the Montreal International Jazz Festival for its big free outdoor blowouts, which traditionally draw in the range of 100,000 people.

Pop Montreal is planning for a crowd of 75,000, while making provisions for more.

"We're going to set up screens on De Maisonneuve and Ste. Catherine streets for spillover," Seligman said.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/enter...#ixzz1U0SM3XRb

So are they going to have a line up similar to Hyde Park is the next question.....

Also, here's some unflatteringly daylight photos from Moncton with U2.

ZOMG THEYRE PLAYING IN THE DAYLIGHT!!!! THEY NEED LIGHTS TO MAKE THEM LOOK COOL!!!
    Last edited by suprefan; 08-03-2011 at 08:09 PM.

Arcade Fire are looking for some more volunteers at the Outside Lands festival.

http://lokahioutreach.blogspot.com/2...s-want-to.html

AF were filming summat in Montreal a few days back. Hivemind thinks it's a music video, but I reckon it's probably a promo or something, like the animated directions to the secret shows last year.

Also, posted elsewhere, but a while back, the dude from Burlesque needed to know what the car on the cover of The Suburbs was. I tweeted back to tell him and he's gonna send me one of the resulting posters as a thank you.

I love the hell out of Burlesque.

@arcadefiretube Here's the deal again: Call 1-866-910-klru. Donate $150 to @klru and get 2 tickets to Arcade Fire's #ACL taping on Sept 17th.
    Just passing it along.

From Outside Lands -

Bwahahaha, awesome.

http://exclaim.ca/News/arcade_fires_..._court_charity

Despite those ages-old ball-hog rumours, Arcade Fire frontman Win Butler is a well-noted basketball fan. On top of that, he and his band buddies have also been heralded for their charity work. Seamlessly, the singer is about to link up the two interests via the second annual Rock the Court event next month.

Taking place September 10 at the University of Toronto, the charity event, which donates proceeds to Athletes for Africa and local children's charity St. Alban's Boys & Girls Club, has signed on not only the Arcade Fire member, but City and Colour head honcho Dallas Green, as well as NBA stars Matt Bonner (San Antonio Spurs) and Spencer Hawes (Philadelphia 76ers), to participate in a four-on-four tournament. Other draws include former NBA players Paul Shirley and Brent Barry, among others.

The event is open to the public, but spots are filling up fast. You can register a team of eight to 12 players for $500, which allows them access to the celebrity draft, "other great prizes" and an after-party.

''And with the first pick in the 2011 celebrity basketball draft, Us Kids Know select, Win Butler of The Arcade Fire''

:: cheers ::

Cute little LCD nod.

Thanks, G. I'd totally forgot about AFs homage to LCD!!
    8/07 LeMaitre @ The Rickshaw Stop (?)
    8/08-8/10 Outside Lands #5
    8/11 NONONO @ GAMH
    8/23 NIN and Soundgarden @ Shoreline
    9/27 Simian Mobile Disco @ The Mezzanine
    10/5 The War On Drugs @ The Fillmore
    10/10 Woman's Hour @ the Rickshaw Stop
    10/17 SBTRKT @ the Fox Theatre (?)
    10/21 Jessie Ware @ The Chapel
    10/24 Little Dragon @ the Fox Theatre
    10/24 Rüfüs Du Sol @ The Mezzanine
    11/29 London Grammar @ the Fox Theatre

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Just passing it along.
    bummer. here's hoping it doesn't sell out this way.
    July 29 - Boris
    August 1 - Black Label Society
    August 14 - Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/DEP
    August 27 - Röyksopp & Robyn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 12 - Austin City Limits: Day 3
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Metal Festival
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 23 - Caribou

No, they got a hundred tickets for the donation thing.

That's the studio taping rather than the festival performance, remember - tickets to that are generally assigned by a manner of lottery anyway, AFAIK.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

yeah i know, i'm skipping saturday this year and was gonna try my luck on a ticket for this instead. glad to hear it's just 100.
    July 29 - Boris
    August 1 - Black Label Society
    August 14 - Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/DEP
    August 27 - Röyksopp & Robyn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 12 - Austin City Limits: Day 3
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Metal Festival
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 23 - Caribou

Thoroughly annoying title aside, very good interview with (mainly) Win for the Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/m...tionaries.html

“A lot of people get really stuck in this idea that everything’s been done, and there’s nowhere left to go,” says Butler. “Rock ’n’ roll is almost the most conservative form of performance art: you play your guitar, these are the moves, this is what the songs are about, and this is the energy.

I always felt like there’s so many sounds to make and things to talk about in songs. There’s more to life than 'I love you baby, la, la, la’.

I approach it more like film-making: you would never say every film has been made. You just tell another story. I thought I would try and talk directly about common experiences that aren’t that cool to talk about, which is the starting place for a lot of the art we do.”

Awww.

And, just while I'm at it, from when they met on the set of Jools Holland. Mavis was bopping along to AFs performance, and it was all quite sweet.

Nice, interview with Richard pre-Electric Picnic, even if/because he's a little excessively complimentary about Irish crowds.

http://entertainment.ie/Music/featur...ire/1/1631.htm

You won the Best Album Grammy last year for The Suburbs. How do you, as a band, quantify an accolade like that? Is there a sense of satisfaction or does the whole thing just feel other-worldly and outside your control?

I think it's a little more the latter. I always use this analogy, that it kind of feels that we robbed a bank a little bit. We robbed the popular music bank.

And you're just waiting to be caught?

A little bit, yeah. What felt like a triumph, besides winning that thing, was that because comparatively we're in the small leagues record sales-wise to the people that we were up against. We're not a mainstream radio band and we were up against Eminem who has sold 20 million records and we've sold not even a twentieth of that, so the triumph of it felt like 'anything was possible'. It was a David and Goliath kind of thing, the little indie band that could.

To do anything like that against a much huger commercial force was, for us and for where we come from, a pretty big victory.
    AF's own VEVO account has started uploading some of their Jools Holland set. Wish they'd do something useful like the Grammy performances or the cracking Daily Show stuff, but there you go.

L'awesome @arcadefiretube Joel is uploading their Bonnaroo set with vastly improved audio. Not sure where he got the other audio source, but the difference is considerable.