Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 62

Thread: college football needs a playoff

  1. #31
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,861

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Semantic View Post
    I don't think Utah, Boise St., and Ball St. are teams capable of beating the top 5. They're not the the Urban Meyer and Dan Hawkins coached teams. I would be surprised to see them beat any team besides the Big East/ACC champions this year in the BCS Bowl travesty.

    That's just the point. All we have to go on is what you and others "think". Settle it on the field.



    Also, fyi, Fiesta Bowl may well wind up being Texas vs. USC.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  2. #32
    old school Hopeless Semantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    4,488

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    That's just the point. All we have to go on is what you and others "think". Settle it on the field.



    Also, fyi, Fiesta Bowl may well wind up being Texas vs. USC.
    Again, I know its my opinion and that it needs to be settled on the field. The problem is, this is all we can really do at this point. I would venture to say that the economy will be righted before College Football in the Division 1 sense--has a playoff system.

    It would be a great game if it were Texas vs. USC...I'd pay to see Florida vs. USC as well.

  3. #33
    Dick Nicewonger kreutz2112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    SL UT
    Posts
    11,468

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    Your right, this isn't the Urban Meyer utes we're talking about. That year we could have beat anyone, except maybe USC. Anyway, I really don't think Utah will be matched up against the Big East or ACC champion. The BCS would be doing a disservice to everyone if that happened. I think the Utes could compete against everyone in the league except the top three teams in the big-12 south and florida. Don't get me wrong though I would love to play any four of those teams and if the Utes kept it within two scores I would be satisfied. Especially if it was against florida. Urban Meyer said he didn't think the utes could compete against any team from the SEC. While he may be right, if we played florida in our bowl game and only lost by two TDs that margin would be better than any other team from the SEC put up against florida this year. Really though if we play the ACC or Big East champion I am going to riot.
    RAPE STOVE

    white power?!

  4. #34
    old school Hopeless Semantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    4,488

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    I would riot even because they have to allow an ACC/Big East team participate in this BCS crap. I would rather see all three undefeated teams get a chance to participate than see a 9-3 Cincinnati/Georgia Tech/Wake Forest/Florida St. team suck the wind out of a late season bowl game.

  5. #35
    The Dude CalmerThanYou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Snuggieville
    Posts
    7,360

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    Quote Originally Posted by kreutz2112 View Post
    USC fucking blows.
    this is a fail on so many levels.

    regardless if you like them or not, there is no possible way you could say USC blows.

    Quote Originally Posted by kreutz2112 View Post
    That year we could have beat anyone, except maybe USC. .
    lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by paganman7 View Post
    I had a dream that my wife cheated on me with Calmer. True story.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    Did you find pee in her butt?

  6. #36
    Dick Nicewonger kreutz2112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    SL UT
    Posts
    11,468

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    let me rephrase that.

    This year USC is undeserving of their current rank. The PAC-10 is a weak conference this year along the same lines as the Big East and ACC. USC is probably not even going to win the PAC-10 yet they sit among the top 5 teams in college football? come on.
    RAPE STOVE

    white power?!

  7. #37
    The Dude CalmerThanYou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Snuggieville
    Posts
    7,360

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    i agree with you on the pac 10 sucking this year, but i think why SC is in the Top 5 is due to their sheer depth. i mean, computers run this thing, and they know everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by paganman7 View Post
    I had a dream that my wife cheated on me with Calmer. True story.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    Did you find pee in her butt?

  8. #38
    Dick Nicewonger kreutz2112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    SL UT
    Posts
    11,468

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    the computer has USC ranked 8 behind Utah, Texas Tech and Penn State. What's keeping USC so high are the other two polls.
    RAPE STOVE

    white power?!

  9. #39
    The Dude CalmerThanYou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Snuggieville
    Posts
    7,360

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    yerapoll.



    fighton.
    Quote Originally Posted by paganman7 View Post
    I had a dream that my wife cheated on me with Calmer. True story.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    Did you find pee in her butt?

  10. #40
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,861

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    Quote Originally Posted by kreutz2112 View Post
    let me rephrase that.

    This year USC is undeserving of their current rank. The PAC-10 is a weak conference this year along the same lines as the Big East and ACC. USC is probably not even going to win the PAC-10 yet they sit among the top 5 teams in college football? come on.
    All the conferences suck this year except the SEC and the Big 12. And I'm not so sure about the SEC, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  11. #41
    Dick Nicewonger kreutz2112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    SL UT
    Posts
    11,468

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    Regardless of whether all the conferences suck this year compared to previous years it's still all relative.

    Big 12 > SEC > Big 10 > MWC > Pac-10 > Big East > ACC
    RAPE STOVE

    white power?!

  12. #42
    Member paganman7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    2,364

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Are you suggesting that without corporate sponsorship people would care about that game?

    Uh...no.

    I'm saying the games are less compelling because corporate sponsored and created bowl games are about advertising the company. No one except the two teams involved is concerned withe many of these lower tiered bowl games.

    You wanna make college football more compelling? Let 16 teams have a chance of being national champion rather than two selected teams. Let the winner of each round have hope that they can win next week and perhaps have a shot at the national championship rather than the winner of the Tampax bowl say, "well...we're the Tampax champions, now what?"
    Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    I swear to god. Harrison Ford better not be fucking dead.

  13. #43
    Member paganman7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    2,364

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    Quote Originally Posted by kreutz2112 View Post
    Regardless of whether all the conferences suck this year compared to previous years it's still all relative.

    Big 12 > SEC > Big 10 > MWC > Pac-10 > Big East > ACC

    I think that's a fair assessment.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    I swear to god. Harrison Ford better not be fucking dead.

  14. #44
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,861

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    Quote Originally Posted by kreutz2112 View Post
    Regardless of whether all the conferences suck this year compared to previous years it's still all relative.

    Big 12 > SEC > Big 10 > MWC > Pac-10 > Big East > ACC
    I would move the Big 10 down that list. Jeez, Wisconsin almost lost at home to something called Cal Poly.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  15. #45
    Coachella Junkie luckyface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    7,945

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    I never get why the Big 10 always gets so inflated every year. They have Penn State and Ohio State, which proved yet again they can't beat anyone big. Who else is even remotely good? Michigan State? Riiight!
    For your health

  16. #46

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    If TX and Florida win out and there not in the title game it would be a travesty. And yes USC sux!!!! The Pac 10 is prly the second to worst conference ahead of the Big 10.

  17. #47
    Dick Nicewonger kreutz2112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    SL UT
    Posts
    11,468

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    your saying the big 10 and pac 10 are worse than the big east and acc? no way.
    RAPE STOVE

    white power?!

  18. #48
    old school Hopeless Semantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    4,488

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    Quote Originally Posted by oasis4life2002 View Post
    If TX and Florida win out and there not in the title game it would be a travesty. And yes USC sux!!!! The Pac 10 is prly the second to worst conference ahead of the Big 10.
    You've lost all credibility in this argument with this statement. Worse than the Big East and ACC? Not even. USC does not suck--the conference they reside in is having a down year. USC smoked the second/first best team in the Big 10 and the fact that it owns one of the best defenses in college, makes it a worthy team.

    Its quite simple...if Florida wins, they'll get in because that means they've beaten Alabama and have won the SEC Championship. Texas, on the other hand, isn't more worthy than Oklahoma. They beat them head-2-head, but they also lost to a team that Oklahoma obliterated. I'd be willing to bet that if Oklahoma played Texas again--they'd beat Texas. However, it probably wouldn't matter since Florida would probably destroy either team. Again, this is all just talk since there's no real answer.

    Fu@k the system!

  19. #49

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    Texas should of beat Tech they were down 19 to nothing and came all the way back to take the lead with a minute and a half left. If it wasn't 4 the dropped interception we wouldn't even be having this discussion. The only reason Tech won was cos it was in Lubbock.

  20. #50
    Dick Nicewonger kreutz2112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    SL UT
    Posts
    11,468

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    and they have a player named Michael Crabtree.
    RAPE STOVE

    white power?!

  21. #51

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    And fuck the system too LOL

  22. #52

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    that is a bad boy but I think out of all the big 12 teams TX is the most deserving of going to the title game they never laid an egg like Tech and they beat OU

  23. #53
    Dark Lord mountmccabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Mission
    Posts
    11,986

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    Quote Originally Posted by indietron View Post
    At least in this situation UNLV was given the chance to compete for the championship. Great teams such as USC may not even get that chance. It would eliminate all of the bias of the ranking system, since it is really impossible to compare teams because of the variety of scheduling. The NFL does the 8 team playoff, and nobody complains about that.
    The NFL does a 12 team playoff, actually. And those are professionals who get paid to play football. And may get bonuses for making it to the postseason and/or advancing.

    Also I complain about it. It is long. The games each week are too spread out. Plus it's just a single elimination deal, fuck that.

    Quote Originally Posted by indietron View Post
    The only problem I see with a tournament is the fact that there is only 6 conferences, leaving 2 extra spots. The selection of those 2 wildcard teams would be extremely difficult with the variety of conferences, and may have to resort to the ranking system again...
    People complain all the time about what teams qualify for the BCS; they would still complain about what teams make an 8 team playoff as there're even fewer slots there than in BCS bowls.

    Cincinnati/West Virginia is in. Florida State/Boston College/Georgia Tech is in. For an 8 team playoff it'd be at most two of

    • Utah (undefeated)
    • Boise State (one game left to finish undefeated)
    • Florida (that is, the loser of the SEC Championship)
    • Oklahoma (that is, 2nd place Big 12 South)
    • Texas Tech (that is, 3rd place Big 12 South)
    • USC (that is, 2nd place Pac 10)


    [yes, I made projections there but it should be clear where I was going with all that]

    A more fair system could be made but as it stands people complain about how complex the BCS is. And when people don't understand shit they complain about it. You hear complaining about Wild Card slots in the NFL much more than the conference champ slots. There was less complaining (very little, in fact) in MLB when there were fewer (to no) playoffs leading up to the World Series. There was disappointment but not so much complaining; the system was clear. Whoever had the most wins goes to the World Series. Bam.

    I'll repeat myself: NCAA football does not lend itself well to playoffs. There are too many teams and not enough regular season games for there to be clear/simple/fair/reasonable ranking procedures. Adding an 8 team playoff would mean that the top two teams would be playing 15 games in a season. Adding a 16 team playoff would make that 16 games in a season, and that season would either run through finals, Christmas & New Year's or fucking February.


    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Your position that this is not the same as "best team in the regular season" is both correct and beside the point. The point is that everyone involved as agreed 'this is how we will determine the champion' and the process is considered relatively equitable by all.

    Your argument, John, basically boils down to "why do we need to have a championship at all?". And the answer is, we don't need one but many people involved would prefer to have one.
    Most people complain about the BCS when and because they think it is screwing over their team. This thread was started because oasis... is pissed that Texas might not make it to the big game.

    But you are correct, that is what my argument is. College Football used to have the most wonderful, unique postseason of them all. Now it's a tangled mess that sort of has some of the good parts from the past but folks wanna kill off the good that's left.

    We have something that was once beautiful and interesting and original and it has been fiddled with and slapped around and now y'all wanna destroy everything that was good about it before and make it conform to the established order. To make it just like everything else. Fuck that.


    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    And you could extend the logic of your implied question further: why bother to have a Big 10 and a Big 10 champion? Why bother to have a Rose Bowl? Why bother to even keep score? People like competition; they like the fact that one team wins and another loses; and (in other sports) they like that there is a well defined process for a team to be named champion. In college FB, most fans, and many coaches and players, dislike the process to be named 'champion' because it is subjective and not decided on the playing field.
    I dislike the process to be named "champion" too. Fuck the Fiesta Bowl for starting this bullshittery. We have false champions in every other sport, why does college football have to be the same? Why can't one fucking sport be interesting? Why must it all be manufactured polished pop drivel?
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

  24. #54

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    Anybody who has ever played sports knows that there has to be an outright champ. They should change the system but I know it won't happen. It just sux!! But if TX wins tomorrow and if there's a three way tie in the Big 12 Mack Brown gas the best argument. He's gonna start off with saying we beat OU. Second we beat OU. Bob Stoops was everywhere this past week campaigning 4 his team and I expect no less from Brown. This BCS creates a buzz otherwise I would of never started this thread but I think they should atleast take a look at a system that could better the sport.

  25. #55
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,861

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    the computers are gonna do UT in. sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  26. #56

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    Yeah I wouldn't doubt it! But if it is OU vs Florida I hope Florida beats the shit out of OU!!!

  27. #57
    Entry level Alt kitt kat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    los angeles
    Posts
    6,081

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    Quote Originally Posted by kreutz2112 View Post

    oh and kitt kat. USC fucking blows. The PAC-10 blows. How they are above Utah, Texas Tech, and Penn State boggles my mind. dorkfish brought up a good point. "The key is to lose early" That's exactly what happened to USC, same with Florida (although I think florida deserves to be where they are.) Utah has beat two teams which at the time were ranked in the top 15. They also beat the potential PAC-10 champion, which really isn't saying much, but hey it's BCS conference so they are automatically better than any non-BCS conference right? Wrong. The voters may think that's the case, but the Mountain West went 6-1 against PAC-10 teams this year. The Utes deserve to be ranked higher than USC. That is all.

    HAHAHA. If we even got the CHANCE to play Utah, I'd feel sorry for you all. There is no way these podunk mountain league schools would stand a chance against the Pac 10. (Well, not ALL the Pac 10. It's been off this year. But USC, OSU, Oregon, ASU, and maybe Stanford would give you a run for your money.)


    Anyway, we'll win the Pac 10, but I don't even think we'll make bowl this year. This was supposed to be our year....But Sanchez is a fucking moron.

  28. #58
    Dark Lord mountmccabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Mission
    Posts
    11,986

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    Quote Originally Posted by oasis4life2002 View Post
    Anybody who has ever played sports knows that there has to be an outright champ.
    Fuck off, troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

  29. #59

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    Fuck u mountmccabe I can tell u were in the stands in high school LOL

  30. #60

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    This is exactly why I made this thread!!! Idk how TX a team that beat OU head to head is not in the Big 12 Championship game!!! Now Mizzou has to beat OU in that title game for TX to have a chance. It's FUCKED UP!!

Similar Threads

  1. College Football 2008
    By bakersfield in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 713
    Last Post: 01-17-2009, 10:48 AM
  2. ncaa college football 07
    By arbouler in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 376
    Last Post: 01-07-2008, 08:06 PM
  3. The "Official" Suns vs. Lakers 2007 playoff thread
    By Good Days Last in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 05-03-2007, 06:09 PM
  4. Football
    By André in forum Questions
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-19-2007, 11:28 AM
  5. Football
    By André in forum Camping/Lodging
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-18-2007, 07:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •