Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 62

Thread: college football needs a playoff

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Angry college football needs a playoff

    I am so tired of this BCS bullshit!! College football is the only sport that doesn't have a pllayoff and it's crap!!! I'm from TX and I would hope the horns would make it to the title game but with all these possibilitys I think it's only fair that they get the top 8 teams to go at it!!!! I know the BCS creates interest every week but I think enough is enough. Anybody with me?

  2. #2
    vinylmartyr
    Guest

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    Yeah its total BS.

  3. #3
    The Dude CalmerThanYou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Snuggieville
    Posts
    7,360

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    i'll second this.

    so will my boy barack.
    Quote Originally Posted by paganman7 View Post
    I had a dream that my wife cheated on me with Calmer. True story.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    Did you find pee in her butt?

  4. #4
    Bambi menikmati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    North Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    14,982

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    good luck, college football aint ran to please fans...it's ran by sponsors and television, and I believe ESPN just got the rights to BCS games, so they're not going anywhere...

  5. #5
    Coachella Junkie Mr. Dylanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Nix
    Posts
    17,963

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    Unfair, yes but bowl season is great!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Will somebody trade their bow ticket for my stern ticket? I have this thing where I get seasick if I'm on the wrong side of the engine room, and it works better with my schedule to be on the front end of the changing time zone.

  6. #6

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    it pissed me off that if OU wins this Sat that they could jump a TX that beat them 45 to 35 earlier in the season. Maybe I'm just pissed cos it looks like TX may be put out in the cold. But TV does run everything UGH!!!!

  7. #7
    The Dude CalmerThanYou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Snuggieville
    Posts
    7,360

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    TV did kill the radio star
    Quote Originally Posted by paganman7 View Post
    I had a dream that my wife cheated on me with Calmer. True story.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    Did you find pee in her butt?

  8. #8

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    It kills everything!

  9. #9
    Coachella Junkie dorkfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    12,267

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    The trick is to lose earlier in the season.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

  10. #10
    Milkshake suprefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Burbank CA
    Posts
    43,940

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    Watch 1 AA and see their playoff, its seemless. Yet 1A cant adapt this cause they think its stupid...

  11. #11
    Coachella Junkie dorkfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    12,267

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    Find the ratio of money floating around the FBS vs the money floating around the FCS.

    No way it'll ever change.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

  12. #12

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    there just needs to be a better system in play. Shit if baseball has adopted instant replay in sure the BCS can do something.

  13. #13
    Coachella Junkie dorkfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    12,267

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    ncaaf adopted instant replay, as well. so the same level of change exists in both.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

  14. #14

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    I understand ur point dorkfish but u agree with the system now? I know the system will prly not change but it's just not right. But money makes college football go round!!

  15. #15
    Coachella Junkie dorkfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    12,267

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    No, I'd prefer a 16 team playoff, but the fact remains that people have been asking for this since for years and there hasn't been the slightest budge to suggest that they'd even consider adding a +1 game to decide the National Championship.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

  16. #16

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    Sports fans could only wish.. Sigh

  17. #17
    Dark Lord mountmccabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hell's Kitchen
    Posts
    11,850

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    This sports fan is mostly just upset that they've done so much to ruin what was wonderful about the bowls.

    College football does not lend itself well to playoffs.

    Tournaments only serve themselves: the winner of the World Series is just the winner of the World Series; MLB playoffs work very differently than the regular season, you need a different team balance and you use different strategies. Winning the World Series doesn't mean that you were the best team in the MLB that season, it just means you won the World Series. I always go back to Sparky Anderson's line, Any team can win a short series.

    NCAA Basketball does lend itself well to tournaments... though not the rigorous triple-elimination several month long sort of tournament that actually might shed some light on which team is the best. I love the Big Dance; the first four days are among the greatest in sports... but the winner is by no means the best team in college basketball for that year. They're just the winner of a tournament. I always go back to 1991, when Duke beat UNLV in the semi-final on the Hill's pass and Laettner's bucket. Run that game again and 8 times out of ten UNLV wins it. They were the best team that year, there's really no discussion on the matter. They just caught a really tough loss in a close game against another team that was really good.


    The last half of December used to be wonderful; school was out and college football would be on nearly every night of the week; I'd watch every game I could. And this led up to New Year's Day, which used to be the greatest day in sports. There'd be one to four games going on at any given moment for at least 12 hours. It was amazing.

    Now the non-BCS bowls have been downplayed and they've spread the BCS bowls out over a week and it's just shit.

    So I'm with y'all on the Fuck The BCS mantra but I don't want to progress to another boring bland tournament like every other fucking sport does, I want to regress back to when college football had a wonderful and interesting post-season.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

  18. #18
    old school indietron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    3,221

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    Quote Originally Posted by dorkfish View Post
    The trick is to lose earlier in the season.
    USC lost fairly early in the season but they are probably not gonna go the the National Championship game... And they definitely deserve to be there.


    Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    This sports fan is mostly just upset that they've done so much to ruin what was wonderful about the bowls.

    College football does not lend itself well to playoffs.

    Tournaments only serve themselves: the winner of the World Series is just the winner of the World Series; MLB playoffs work very differently than the regular season, you need a different team balance and you use different strategies. Winning the World Series doesn't mean that you were the best team in the MLB that season, it just means you won the World Series. I always go back to Sparky Anderson's line, Any team can win a short series.

    NCAA Basketball does lend itself well to tournaments... though not the rigorous triple-elimination several month long sort of tournament that actually might shed some light on which team is the best. I love the Big Dance; the first four days are among the greatest in sports... but the winner is by no means the best team in college basketball for that year. They're just the winner of a tournament. I always go back to 1991, when Duke beat UNLV in the semi-final on the Hill's pass and Laettner's bucket. Run that game again and 8 times out of ten UNLV wins it. They were the best team that year, there's really no discussion on the matter. They just caught a really tough loss in a close game against another team that was really good.
    At least in this situation UNLV was given the chance to compete for the championship. Great teams such as USC may not even get that chance. It would eliminate all of the bias of the ranking system, since it is really impossible to compare teams because of the variety of scheduling. The NFL does the 8 team playoff, and nobody complains about that.

    The only problem I see with a tournament is the fact that there is only 6 conferences, leaving 2 extra spots. The selection of those 2 wildcard teams would be extremely difficult with the variety of conferences, and may have to resort to the ranking system again...

  19. #19
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Gallifrey
    Posts
    40,003

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    Quote Originally Posted by oasis4life2002 View Post
    I am so tired of this BCS bullshit!! College football is the only sport that doesn't have a pllayoff and it's crap!!! I'm from TX and I would hope the horns would make it to the title game but with all these possibilitys I think it's only fair that they get the top 8 teams to go at it!!!! I know the BCS creates interest every week but I think enough is enough. Anybody with me?
    I agree with this.

    Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    This sports fan is mostly just upset that they've done so much to ruin what was wonderful about the bowls.

    College football does not lend itself well to playoffs.

    Tournaments only serve themselves: the winner of the World Series is just the winner of the World Series; MLB playoffs work very differently than the regular season, you need a different team balance and you use different strategies. Winning the World Series doesn't mean that you were the best team in the MLB that season, it just means you won the World Series. I always go back to Sparky Anderson's line, Any team can win a short series.

    NCAA Basketball does lend itself well to tournaments... though not the rigorous triple-elimination several month long sort of tournament that actually might shed some light on which team is the best. I love the Big Dance; the first four days are among the greatest in sports... but the winner is by no means the best team in college basketball for that year. They're just the winner of a tournament. I always go back to 1991, when Duke beat UNLV in the semi-final on the Hill's pass and Laettner's bucket. Run that game again and 8 times out of ten UNLV wins it. They were the best team that year, there's really no discussion on the matter. They just caught a really tough loss in a close game against another team that was really good.


    The last half of December used to be wonderful; school was out and college football would be on nearly every night of the week; I'd watch every game I could. And this led up to New Year's Day, which used to be the greatest day in sports. There'd be one to four games going on at any given moment for at least 12 hours. It was amazing.

    Now the non-BCS bowls have been downplayed and they've spread the BCS bowls out over a week and it's just shit.

    So I'm with y'all on the Fuck The BCS mantra but I don't want to progress to another boring bland tournament like every other fucking sport does, I want to regress back to when college football had a wonderful and interesting post-season.
    I disagree with this. While the winner of the World Series may have just 'won a series', there is a community consensus, agreed to well before the season ever starts, that the team that wins the world series will be considered MLB champions. Your position that this is not the same as "best team in the regular season" is both correct and beside the point. The point is that everyone involved as agreed 'this is how we will determine the champion' and the process is considered relatively equitable by all.

    Your argument, John, basically boils down to "why do we need to have a championship at all?". And the answer is, we don't need one but many people involved would prefer to have one. And you could extend the logic of your implied question further: why bother to have a Big 10 and a Big 10 champion? Why bother to have a Rose Bowl? Why bother to even keep score? People like competition; they like the fact that one team wins and another loses; and (in other sports) they like that there is a well defined process for a team to be named champion. In college FB, most fans, and many coaches and players, dislike the process to be named 'champion' because it is subjective and not decided on the playing field.


    Quote Originally Posted by indietron View Post
    At least in this situation UNLV was given the chance to compete for the championship.
    A key point. One reason people dislike the current system so (and disliked the older system even more) is that it goes against our basic sense of fair play. Utah will go undefeated this season, and even if they win a bowl game against a highly ranked opponent, they have zero chance of being named national champions. None, zero, zilch; this was written into the script from the very beginning of the season, and it pisses people off. Ask the Utah coaches, players, and fans if they would like the opportunity to compete for the national championship on the football field by participating in a playoff system, and they're all going to answer "hell yes".

    There is a sense that the current system is being perpetuated by the economically powerful at the expense of the less powerful. Hell, the only reason Utah will get to a BCS bowl at all is that the non-BCS schools filed a law suit to be allowed in to play. There is also a suspicion among the more cynical fans (myself included) that a conference like the Big 10 favors the current system because it allows them to wield economic might rather than actually proving merit on the football field.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  20. #20
    Dark Lord mountmccabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hell's Kitchen
    Posts
    11,850

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    Quote Originally Posted by indietron View Post
    At least in this situation UNLV was given the chance to compete for the championship. Great teams such as USC may not even get that chance. It would eliminate all of the bias of the ranking system, since it is really impossible to compare teams because of the variety of scheduling. The NFL does the 8 team playoff, and nobody complains about that.
    The NFL does a 12 team playoff, actually. And those are professionals who get paid to play football. And may get bonuses for making it to the postseason and/or advancing.

    Also I complain about it. It is long. The games each week are too spread out. Plus it's just a single elimination deal, fuck that.

    Quote Originally Posted by indietron View Post
    The only problem I see with a tournament is the fact that there is only 6 conferences, leaving 2 extra spots. The selection of those 2 wildcard teams would be extremely difficult with the variety of conferences, and may have to resort to the ranking system again...
    People complain all the time about what teams qualify for the BCS; they would still complain about what teams make an 8 team playoff as there're even fewer slots there than in BCS bowls.

    Cincinnati/West Virginia is in. Florida State/Boston College/Georgia Tech is in. For an 8 team playoff it'd be at most two of

    • Utah (undefeated)
    • Boise State (one game left to finish undefeated)
    • Florida (that is, the loser of the SEC Championship)
    • Oklahoma (that is, 2nd place Big 12 South)
    • Texas Tech (that is, 3rd place Big 12 South)
    • USC (that is, 2nd place Pac 10)


    [yes, I made projections there but it should be clear where I was going with all that]

    A more fair system could be made but as it stands people complain about how complex the BCS is. And when people don't understand shit they complain about it. You hear complaining about Wild Card slots in the NFL much more than the conference champ slots. There was less complaining (very little, in fact) in MLB when there were fewer (to no) playoffs leading up to the World Series. There was disappointment but not so much complaining; the system was clear. Whoever had the most wins goes to the World Series. Bam.

    I'll repeat myself: NCAA football does not lend itself well to playoffs. There are too many teams and not enough regular season games for there to be clear/simple/fair/reasonable ranking procedures. Adding an 8 team playoff would mean that the top two teams would be playing 15 games in a season. Adding a 16 team playoff would make that 16 games in a season, and that season would either run through finals, Christmas & New Year's or fucking February.


    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Your position that this is not the same as "best team in the regular season" is both correct and beside the point. The point is that everyone involved as agreed 'this is how we will determine the champion' and the process is considered relatively equitable by all.

    Your argument, John, basically boils down to "why do we need to have a championship at all?". And the answer is, we don't need one but many people involved would prefer to have one.
    Most people complain about the BCS when and because they think it is screwing over their team. This thread was started because oasis... is pissed that Texas might not make it to the big game.

    But you are correct, that is what my argument is. College Football used to have the most wonderful, unique postseason of them all. Now it's a tangled mess that sort of has some of the good parts from the past but folks wanna kill off the good that's left.

    We have something that was once beautiful and interesting and original and it has been fiddled with and slapped around and now y'all wanna destroy everything that was good about it before and make it conform to the established order. To make it just like everything else. Fuck that.


    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    And you could extend the logic of your implied question further: why bother to have a Big 10 and a Big 10 champion? Why bother to have a Rose Bowl? Why bother to even keep score? People like competition; they like the fact that one team wins and another loses; and (in other sports) they like that there is a well defined process for a team to be named champion. In college FB, most fans, and many coaches and players, dislike the process to be named 'champion' because it is subjective and not decided on the playing field.
    I dislike the process to be named "champion" too. Fuck the Fiesta Bowl for starting this bullshittery. We have false champions in every other sport, why does college football have to be the same? Why can't one fucking sport be interesting? Why must it all be manufactured polished pop drivel?
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

  21. #21
    Member arbouler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    da hood, los angeles
    Posts
    1,120

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    Quote Originally Posted by indietron View Post
    USC lost fairly early in the season but they are probably not gonna go the the National Championship game... And they definitely deserve to be there.
    no they do not (not this year at least)

  22. #22
    The Dude CalmerThanYou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Snuggieville
    Posts
    7,360

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    excellent post mount
    Quote Originally Posted by paganman7 View Post
    I had a dream that my wife cheated on me with Calmer. True story.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    Did you find pee in her butt?

  23. #23
    Entry level Alt kitt kat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    los angeles
    Posts
    6,081

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    Seriously. We may not be headed back to the Rose Bowl this year just because EVERYONE keeps winning. It doesn't matter we've only lost one game...We'll just keep falling the more people win.

    If there was a playoff, USC would kick half of these teams to the dirt.

  24. #24
    The Dude CalmerThanYou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Snuggieville
    Posts
    7,360

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    youre supposed to say all those teams to the dirt, idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by paganman7 View Post
    I had a dream that my wife cheated on me with Calmer. True story.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    Did you find pee in her butt?

  25. #25
    Coachella Junkie faxman75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The murder capital where we murder for capital
    Posts
    27,914

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    I agree 100% with Johns assessment of NCAA March Madness. The opening of that tournament is the greatest thing in sports.

    I would watch College Football if they had a playoff. I do agree with John that it was certainly better 10 years ago or so than it is now. I used to enjoy bowl week all leading up to games on new years day. Now I could give a fuck and don't watch any games at all.

  26. #26
    old school Hopeless Semantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    4,488

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    While Mount made some interesting points, I disagree with his overall view of tournaments. Yes, the first few days are brilliant during March Madness and that perhaps the tournament awards the hottest team, but to no have the opportunity to produce a Kansas-like championship game or a N.Y. Giant-like run through a 16-team playoffs in NCAA football is foolish. You would get 5-6 top notch games at the end of the year in which you'd pit the likes of 'SC vs. Texas, Florida vs. Oklahoma, Oklahoma vs. Alabama, 'SC vs. Florida, etc..etc...The real travesty is that the NCAA, a NAZI-esque ran institution, doesn't give a damn about us the fans and will only care about the money it can pocket off amateur athletes.

  27. #27
    Member paganman7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    2,364

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    The bowl system is outdated and has lost its luster in the past decade, principally because of corporate sponsorship. Who the fuck cares that the 7th team in the WAC gets to play the 4th team in the Big ten in the Playtex Bowl at Union High School field in Gnome Alaska?
    Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    I swear to god. Harrison Ford better not be fucking dead.

  28. #28
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Gallifrey
    Posts
    40,003

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    Quote Originally Posted by paganman7 View Post
    The bowl system is outdated and has lost its luster in the past decade, principally because of corporate sponsorship. Who the fuck cares that the 7th team in the WAC gets to play the 4th team in the Big ten in the Playtex Bowl at Union High School field in Gnome Alaska?
    Are you suggesting that without corporate sponsorship people would care about that game?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  29. #29
    Member paganman7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    2,364

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Are you suggesting that without corporate sponsorship people would care about that game?

    Uh...no.

    I'm saying the games are less compelling because corporate sponsored and created bowl games are about advertising the company. No one except the two teams involved is concerned withe many of these lower tiered bowl games.

    You wanna make college football more compelling? Let 16 teams have a chance of being national champion rather than two selected teams. Let the winner of each round have hope that they can win next week and perhaps have a shot at the national championship rather than the winner of the Tampax bowl say, "well...we're the Tampax champions, now what?"
    Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    I swear to god. Harrison Ford better not be fucking dead.

  30. #30
    old school Hopeless Semantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    4,488

    Default Re: college football needs a playoff

    Quote Originally Posted by paganman7 View Post
    The bowl system is outdated and has lost its luster in the past decade, principally because of corporate sponsorship. Who the fuck cares that the 7th team in the WAC gets to play the 4th team in the Big ten in the Playtex Bowl at Union High School field in Gnome Alaska?
    I'd watch that game on the hopes that a polar bear would run wild on the Minnesota Golden Gopher's cheer squad. That would probably be the only reason I'd tune into the Playtex Bowl. I'd sure as hell turn the channel before they brought out Tammy the Tampon for the Dr. Pepper 5,000 Dollar String-Pull Halftime Contest.

Similar Threads

  1. College Football 2008
    By bakersfield in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 713
    Last Post: 01-17-2009, 10:48 AM
  2. ncaa college football 07
    By arbouler in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 376
    Last Post: 01-07-2008, 08:06 PM
  3. The "Official" Suns vs. Lakers 2007 playoff thread
    By Good Days Last in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 05-03-2007, 06:09 PM
  4. Football
    By André in forum Questions
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-19-2007, 11:28 AM
  5. Football
    By André in forum Camping/Lodging
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-18-2007, 07:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •