Thread: You have to be kidding me - More GNR crap

Default You have to be kidding me - More GNR crap

Guns 'N Roses "Chinese Democracy" - Axl Rose Sings Mao's Little Red Book When Played Backwards

-by Chris Devonshire Ellis

The much hyped new CD from LA band Guns 'N Roses is now out - and available on download only at present. The only reason we're featuring this news is because the soon-to-be-released CD cover is cool, and some of our staff profess to dig their mega-hair air-guitar tune of the past, the long winded angst ballad "November Rain". Other than that, if crashing guitar chords, incessantly banging drums and the lead singers nascient whine are your thing, then cool, but however the as yet unrevealed secret behind the title is that we've found, upon playing it backwards, the entire record does appear to be Axl Rose singing verses from Chairman Mao's "Little Red Book". This is the transcript, handily translated into English, although Axl Rose sings it in (not particuarly good) Mandarin, together with literal translations of the original English song titles into pinyin. Track by track:

Track One: Chinese transliteration of title: "Cast Away Illusions"

Translation into English of Axl Rose's singing (in Mandarin) when the track is played backwards:

"Classes struggle, some classes triumph, others are eliminated. Such is history, such is the history of civilization for thousands of years. To interpret history from this viewpoint is historical materialism; standing in opposition to this viewpoint is historical idealism."

Track Two: "On Practice"

Transliteration: "In class society everyone lives as a member of a particular class, and every kind of thinking, without exception, is stamped with the brand of a class."

Track Three: "Contradiction"

Transliteration: "Changes in society are due chiefly to the development of the internal contradictions in society, that is, the contradiction between the productive forces and the relations of production, the contradiction between classes and the contradiction between the old and the new; it is the development of these contradictions that pushes society forward and gives the impetus for the supersession of the old society by the new".

Track Four: "Chinese Revolution"

Transliteration: "The ruthless economic exploitation and political oppression of the peasants by the landlord class forced them into numerous uprisings against its rule.... It was the class struggles of the peasants, the peasant uprisings and peasant wars that constituted the real motive force of historical development in Chinese feudal society".

Track Five: "Their Just Struggle"

Transliteration: "In the final analysis, national struggle is a matter of class struggle. Among the whites in the United States it is only the reactionary ruling circles who oppress the black people. They can in no way represent the workers, farmers, revolutionary intellectuals and other enlightened persons who comprise the overwhelming majority of the white people."

Track Six: "The Situation and Our Policy"

Transliteration: "It is up to us to organize the people. As for the reactionaries, it is up to us to organize the people to overthrow them. Everything reactionary is the same; if you don't hit it, it won't fall. This is also like sweeping the floor; as a rule, where the broom does not reach, the dust will not vanish of itself."

Track Seven: "Carry the Revolution Through to the End"

Transliteration: "A revolution is not a dinner party, or writing an essay, or painting a picture, or doing embroidery; it cannot be so refined, so leisurely and gentle, so temperate, kind, courteous, restrained and magnanimous. A revolution is an insurrection, an act of violence by which one class overthrows another."

If you want to download the tracks, play them backwards and listen to Axl Rose singing Chairman Mao's Little Red Book in Mandarin to guitar solos and manic drumming, you can go here.

http://www.chinaexpat.com/blog/cde/2...-when-played-b
    Check out Sleeping is Giving in for great mixes and other cool stuff

Default Re: You have to be kidding me - More GNR crap

So, Chinese Democracy took so long to complete, because first, Axl had to learn Mandarin? awesome
    '99-'11...

Quote Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
    So, Chinese Democracy took so long to complete, because first, Axl had to learn Mandarin? awesome
    Not only that... he had to learn Mandarin backwards. STILL though, not only that. He had the find the english words that sound similar to the mandarin words said backwords.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

14 years was worth the wait to listen to subliminal messages in backwards Mandarin

I'm not going to lie, that's totally bitchin.

That kind of makes me want to check out the album. It really makes all the difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

I listened to the entire album, but not backwards as I apparently should have
    '99-'11...

i still havent made it past the 2nd song
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

"Sorry" is directed towards Slash. I'm actually liking this album more than I thought I would. Maybe it's the pot.

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

From what I've heard from their myspace page, it's meh.

It's not as "meh" as I thought it was going to be. Sometimes you just gotta be in the mindset to listen to certain types of music. I kinda had to look at it as "How is it as a hard rock album"? and the answer is... pretty good. I might not listen to that type of music much anymore but I once did and I once loved it. There aren't really any songs that I think I'll fall in love with the way I did with "Locomotive", "Coma", or "The Garden" but it's still a pretty good listen.

shotglass - your avatar might give someone epileptic seizures!

only if they are lucky.