Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guns N Roses - 'Chinese Democracy" Streaming Now

Default Guns N Roses - 'Chinese Democracy" Streaming Now

Well the album is streaming now on their MySpace. I was thinking about buying it on Sunday just because (was a HUGE fan back in the day and really want to read the liner notes) but now that I am listening to it I am not sure. The guitar work is impressive but that's about it so far. One things for certain, it's not GNR.

http://www.myspace.com/gunsnroses
    Check out Sleeping In Is Giving In for great mixes and other cool stuff

Default Re: Guns N Roses - 'Chinese Democracy" Streaming Now

That was actually my main complaint. The guitar work is by and large so generic late90s that it was hard for me to hear any character. BBALLARL and I were discussing it, and we agreed that it lacks the looseness and boogie of early GNR
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Fuck it...if it's good enough for Klostermann, I'll give it a chance. I mean, it's AXL. If Slash were so great, Slash's Snakepit would have been huge. And while I am at it, give me a new Skid Row album too. I'll peg my pants and grow the mullet back.

http://www.avclub.com/content/featur...terman_reviews

Quote Originally Posted by shotglass75 View Post
    Well the album is streaming now on their MySpace. I was thinking about buying it on Sunday just because (was a HUGE fan back in the day and really want to read the liner notes) but now that I am listening to it I am not sure. The guitar work is impressive but that's about it so far. One things for certain, it's not GNR.

http://www.myspace.com/gunsnroses
    Dude, IT LEAKED....

not everyone cares or wants to go scour what.cd or waffles to grab it

yeah, but I never looked for it because there have been so may shitty leaks throughout the years

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    not everyone cares or wants to go scour what.cd or waffles to grab it
    And not everyone is even on there to bother with it.

shotglass, its a good quality version.

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    And not everyone is even on there to bother with it.
    I know, that's not the point. Just because there are mp3's of it floating around out there, doesn't mean a thread with a streaming leak is pointless. I'd rather take a streaming version of it, than waste time downloading, storing, and double clicking the mp3 files to be able to hear it.

FREE RIDES: LINE FORMS HERE!
    MUST BE COMPLETELY RETARDED NOT TO RIDE!

Quote Originally Posted by paganman7 View Post
    I had a dream that my wife cheated on me with Calmer. True story.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    Did you find pee in her butt?

my favorite piece of memorabilia from working for mr. rose...

Quote Originally Posted by CalmerThanYou View Post
    FREE RIDES: LINE FORMS HERE!
    MUST BE COMPLETELY RETARDED NOT TO RIDE!

I'm first in line

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    my favorite piece of memorabilia from working for mr. rose...

ha ha ha Awesome!

I like the album.

I hope people steal from Axel Rose, he is rich enough anyway. Steal his album, do not pay for it.

i will always be a fan of axl just because of the position i was able to be in. they were my favorite band when i was a kid, slash is the reason i picked up a guitar. then years later i am working for axl, it was so cool. we had one of his mic stands in the office and i would bust out the pose when no one was around, haha. to be a part of that crazy machine was a special time in my life(even though nothing major was going on...well, this album was being worked on, haha!). to hear the phone ring and pick it up to hear "hey, it's axl..." was surreal. def. one of the highlights of my time in the business.
    Last edited by JustSteve; 11-21-2008 at 07:31 PM.

* NME.COM
    * Saturday, 22 November 2008

Guns N Roses' new album 'Chinese Democracy' has broken all records after being streamed on MySpace.

The album received around 25 listens a second up until today (November 21) after being streamed in full on the site yesterday (November 20).

Up until 4pm (GMT) today the title track had been played over 826,000 times, with the total amount of plays all the album tracks have received adding up to over 3 million.

The figures mean an average of 25 people per second were listening to one of the songs on the album at MySpace.com/gunsnroses.

The data means that the streaming of the album, dubbed a "listening party", has attracted the largest amount of listeners for an artist album stream launch on the site to date.

i don't expect the album to get great feedback here at all, but i am really digging it.

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    ha ha ha Awesome!
    you should see my dickies jacket with the embroidered gnr logo on the back! oh, the looks i get when i go out with it on, haha...

Drinks company Dr. Pepper has confirmed that everyone in America will get a free soda, after the much-anticipated release of ‘Chinese Democracy’ was announced.

Guns N Roses have been working on the album since 1994, and it’s finally been scheduled to be released this Sunday

In March, the drinks company announced it would give a free Dr. Pepper soft drink to everyone in the United States if the band released the album in 2008.

"We never thought this day would come," said Tony Jacobs, Dr Pepper's vice president of marketing, reports the Associated Press. "But now that it's here, all we can say is: The Dr Pepper's on us."

A voucher for the free drink will be made available on drpepper.com for 24 hours this Sunday at 12.01am. Those who print the coupon will have until February 28, 2009 to redeem it.

I would rather watch paint dry than listen to Guns and Roses.

"hey kettle, you're black" said the pot.

Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I would rather watch paint dry than listen to Guns and Roses.
    burn

even though it's not really GnR, it sounds like they're ripping themselves (and every band they ever influenced) off...badly.

Guns and Roses > Sam Hagar era Van Halen. Are you G&R fans happy now? It was pulling teeth to think of a worse band than the current incarnation of Guns and Roses. Maybe Candlebox is slightly worse.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

I look at this as a solo Axl Rose record. Guns N' Roses the name is just a vehicle for Rose as NIN is a vehicle for Trent.

Catcher in the Rye is a pretty great song. This album is easily better than anything Velvet Revolver or Audioslave did. It's not as good as the illusions, Lies or Appetite but it's still much better than most if not all other mainstream rock/pop, these days.

Shacklers Revenge is by far the worst piece of crap on the album. The more I listen the more I like this album.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    i don't expect the album to get great feedback here at all, but i am really digging it.
    I really dig the record, there are afew songs on there that i dont think are great...but for the most part it is a really solid record.

I'm liking it. I'm not blown away and I probably won't be listening to it in a few weeks but I am enjoying it now for what it is. I think 'Sorry" is a pretty cool song. It's either directed right to Slash or I found this other view point. Not bad.

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=5297

I confess.

I caved in and downloaded the new tracks. While This I Love is a masterpiece and Scraped is a generally forgettable piece of filler, I think Sorry might have the most interesting lyrics of the lot. A lot of people have said the song described Ax's moribund relationship to Slash, but I'd like to take the opportunity to present with a different viewpoint. It's that ingenuity that separates men from the boys; some songs can truly be all things to all people, while every other viewpoint can be successfully backed without overruling the other.

I'd like to take the time to discuss Sorry as Ax's take on mood swings, the rushes of depression and elation. I'll refer to the 'soft voice' as the conscious mind, the narrator as he perceives himself and the outside world in moments of solace. On the other hand, the 'hard voice' represents the Demon in this breakdown; the evil-doer who reaches out from the rim of the unconsciousness, leading towards erratic behavior and feelings of worthlessness and isolation.

So, without further ado:

Narrator: You like to hurt me
    You know that you do

Revealing the balance of terror, the Narrator begins by stating that the Demon acts out of sheer malice.

Demon: You like to think in some way
    that it's me and not you

The Demon responds by saying the Narrator denies his true nature by extricating the Demon into a personality, a separate part of his psyche.

(You know it isn't not true)

An unrecognizable voice, coming from somewhere deep down, whispers to the Narrator, noting that the Demon is not in fact someone, who could take the blame for what has happened to the Narrator. Call it a soul, or the gut, if you may.

Narrator: You like to have me jump and be good
    But I don't want to do it

The Narrator refuses to give in the overpowering Demon, refusing what he considers a loss of autonomy for someone else.

Demon: You don't know why I won't act the way you think I should

The Demon responds by saying that the Narrator fails to understand the Demon's ulterior motives, implying that the Narrators taunts are therefore based on false conclusions.

Narrator: You thought they would make me behave and submit
    What were you thinking
    cause I don't forget

The Narrator reveals some background of his internal struggle. 'Behave and submit' would refer to an imagined loss of integrity by giving up one's own principles to accommodate the wishes of others. This had led to the Demons attack against the Narrator (resulting as depression and anxiety), with consequences that pain the Narrator to this day.

He also implies that the Demon was wrong all the way by acting the way he did, as the Narrator believes he wouldn't had compromised himself by acting in league with such parties.

Demon: You don't know why I won't give in
    to hell with the pressure, I'm not caving in

The Demon assures that he won't allow a peace of mind to the Narrator until his point gets across.

Narrator: You know that I got under your skin

To a degree, the Narrator understands why the Demon's upset; his past actions were indeed something that could've raised some doubt in his own mind as to whether he's doing what he wants or rather, what is expected from him.

Demon: You sold your soul but I won't let you win

The Demon speaks plainly towards his feelings regarding those actions; he believes the Narrator sold out, gave up on everything that made him genuine - which was a sound reason for the Demon to step up as a sort of all-powerful conscience. The Demon also hints that they are too far apart at the moment for the Narrator to be able to understand the Demons point.

Narrator: You talk too much, you say I do

The Narrator has grown tired to the voice inside his head, which blames him for selling out. Among other things, the Demon interestingly blames the Narrator for talking too much. But we'll get to that later.

Demon: Difference is nobody cares about you

The Demon lays down a trump card, raising the sensation of self-guilt. The Narrator must feel as if no-one out there truly cares for him anymore, as he tainted his image, and is now left with only the Demon to accompany him. The Demon has someone who cares for him, and that is the unfortunate Narrator.

Demon: You've got all the answers
    You know everything
    but nobody asked you
    It's a mystery to me

The Demon now goes on to pick the Narrator further. He implies that as the Narrator made the decision to take the path that led to an 'integrity crisis', he was cock-sure about himself, while, in fact, wasn't ultimately the one in charge. The fact that the Narrator allowed all this to happen is what both puzzles and upsets the Demon.

Narrator/Demon: I'm sorry for you
    Not sorry for me
    You don't know who in the hell to or not to believe
    I'm sorry for you
    Not sorry for me
    You don't know who you can trust now well you should be me(believe?)
    You don't know who you can trust now well you should be me(believe?)

The first time, when the Narrator and the Demon actually merge into one entity, proving themselves to be the opposite sides of the same coin. Both pity the other for completely different reasons, while they remain stuck in the same situation. Both encourage the other to trust them, as both think they know what's best in the light of the recent events.

Narrator/Demon: You close your eyes
    All well and good
    Demon: I'll kick your ass
    like I said that I would

In a rather powerful moment, the Demon demonstrates his force. As the Narrator is getting ready to lie down, his consciousness morphs into the Demon; the one, who thrives in dreams, in nightmares, in the desolate moments before falling asleep, when the mind can finally wander freely. The moment which every man faces every single night; that of utter and complete loneliness.

The Demon then launches a very vicious attack, which causes the Narrator to sleep uneasy, plagued by guilt-ridden thoughts and a sense of depression, all of which is carried beyond the veil of sleep.

Narrator: You tell them stories
    they'd rather believe
    use and confuse them, they're numb and naive
    truth is the truth hurts, don't you agree
    it's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me

The Narrator refers to the Demons earlier accusation that he (the Narrator) talks too much. The Narrator responds by saying that the blame on what is said out loud falls on the Demon, who makes the Narrator say things he himself wouldn't otherwise say, and. therefore, has taken control over the Narrator.

The truth about the Demon is what the Demon himself cannot comprehend: Why did the Narrator choose the path he did, why did he give the Demon the impression that he was giving up on everything that made him what he was in the first place?

Demon: Nobody owes you
    Not one goddamn thing
    No where to put your
    Just shut up and sing......

The Demon finally seems to reach some mutual ground with the Narrator, as he now approaches with a provocative peace offering: There's no reason to be sorry for yourself, as you can only blame yourself for what'd happened. 'Shut up and sing' points quite plainly towards Ax himself, as the Narrator is urged to finally stop talking, both in his own words and those of the Demon.

Instead, the Demon reveals that deep down, he wants the Narrator to be a singer again, to be what he was in the past, before the supposed selling-out. Reclaiming that old spark is what'll make them both happy again, instead of wallowing in bitterness.

Narrator/Demon: I'm sorry for you
    Not sorry for me
    You don't know who in the hell to or not to believe
    I'm sorry for you
    Not sorry for me
    You chose to hurt those that love you and won't set them free
    Won't set them free....

The Narrator and the Demon now sing in unison, pointing their words towards those who are perceived as the other end of the misguided relationship. Not being set free is what has led to the conflict between the Narrator and the Demon in the first place. The venting and straight-talk on the Narrators feelings appears to form a bond between himself and the Demon, as they both now take on what could described as a 'mutual enemy'.

Narrator/Demon: IYou don't Need
    Anyone to be sorry for you
    You've got no heart
    You can't see
    All that you have done for me
    I know the reasons
    You tear me apart

The Narrator and the Demon acknowledge that the conflict has caused them to separate from each other. Their mutual hatred now binds them; the Narrator is now slowly coming together as a personality, as he claims that he 'knows the reasons' and that the other person, quite literally, 'tears him apart'.

Well, I guess you could say that it's still about Slash. 14

STREAMING NOW
    looking to purchase:big brother skateboarding magazine back issues. travis bean tb1000s electric guitars.

Hilarious. Gross, but funny.

This might make it better
    http://www.goear.com/files/sst3/ca54...17a87e41a1.mp3

I have to say it is not the train wreck people believe it is going to be and actually BENEFITS from not having Slash on the record.

Someone already said it best that the band name is just a vehicle for Axl. And you kinda have a new spin on his music instead of trying to compare it to his previous works.

Good work Mr. Rose, now can we have a fuckin tour without the drama!! >_<

Quote Originally Posted by shotglass75 View Post
    I was thinking about buying it on Sunday just because (was a HUGE fan back in the day and really want to read the liner notes) but now that I am listening to it I am not sure.
    Looks like reading the liner notes is the biggest reason to buy this album. I have not heard it myself yet, just reading the MANY reviews.

By the way, LMAO at this review:

Why Chinese Democracy's Fine Print Is Way More Fun Than the Record Itself

We can all agree that Sunday's eons-delayed, punchline-defying, free-Dr.-Pepper-triggering release of Guns N' Roses' Chinese Democracy marks the death of something—some combination of the music industry, "the album" as a unit of cultural import, old-guard rock stardom, irony, sincerity, free-market capitalism, hip-hop, the spread offense, and neo-conservatism. Regardless, I feel comfortable stating that it's the last record I will ever buy just to read the liner notes. Holy shit. Do pop into Best Buy sometime this week and have a gander.

(Deep breath.)

Fourteen studios in four cities. Twenty-two assistant engineers. Eight folks under the heading "Additional Pro Tools." Six more under "Logic." The phrase "initial production" re-occurring. Eleven musicians get their own personal thank-you lists; deranged mastermind Axl Rose's requires nearly three columns of tiny-ass type. (Notable names: Mickey Rourke, Donatella Versace, Izzy Stradlin.) And these are just full-album credits; all 14 songs get their own personal bibliography: "There Was a Time" has six guitarists (five is more common) and five orchestral arrangers (Axl is cited as both); "Madagascar" boasts not just French horns but synth French horns, plus clips from two Martin Luther King speeches and dialogue from Mississippi Burning, Cool Hand Luke, Braveheart, Casualties of War, and Seven. Full lyric sheet, too: Within the first minute of histrionic piano ballad "This I Love," Axl rhymes why, goodbye, I, eyes, wise, try, inside, deny, die, mine, inside, why, goodbye, inside, light, bright, night, and deny.

I look forward to re-reading these liners in Best Music Writing 2009; you will greatly prefer them, at least initially, to Chinese Democracy itself.