TL;DR WARNING! Every act I saw this year, ranked from least enjoyed to most:
I thought I'd start things out on a positive note. It was a way, way better year for live music than recorded.
49. John Jackson @ Coachella
48. AWOL One @ El Rey
Sebastien Grainger was supposed to open but instead we got what I thought was Limp Bizkit.
47. Uffie @ Coachella
Everything wrong with music has a performance where everything that can go wrong does. +5 to Uffie for disappearing for 20 minutes and leaving a bunch of Soulja Boys to fill in for her.
46. Crayonsmith @ El Rey
45. Liars @ fucking everywhere
Hey Thom, what happened to epic openers like Pulp, Sigur Ros, Spiritualized, Beck, etc? Everywhere else got Modeselektor, Bat for Lashes, Grizzly Bear...
44. The Breeders @ Coachella
I caught a song, then decided my time was better spent in the shade socializing. I didn't even bother to come back out when I heard "Cannonball."
43. Stars @ Coachella
Fell asleep. The weakest link in the BSS-affiliates collective.
42. Fatboy Slim @ Coachella
Fake sets from washed-up DJ's FTW.
41. Gemma Hayes @ Santa Monica Civic
I don't remember much, since her set was only 15 minutes.
40. Dan Deacon @ Coachella
39. Death Cab for Cutie @ Coachella
Boring and my phone was stolen during this.
38. Parachutes @ Copley Symphony Hall
Sigur Ros lite.
37. Ssion @ Mayan
Interesting stage setup of cardboard flames.
36. The Morning Benders @ Avalon
I completely forgot I saw them so I can't really say.
35. Pacifika @ Hollywood Bowl
34. Lavender Diamond @ Wiltern
33. Spectrum @ Santa Monica Civic
32. Mum @ Coachella
31. Smoosh @ Wiltern
30. Holy Fuck @ Coachella
29. Fuck Buttons @ Wiltern
28. Supergrass @ Avalon
27. Gogol Bordello @ Coachella
26. Aphex Twin @ Coachella
25. Islands @ El Rey
Way better in 2006. They didn't seem very happy to be playing and the crowd didn't care about the new songs at all.
24. Tilly & the Wall @ Mayan
Lots of fun.
23. Vermillion Lies @ Troubadour
I just tried to listen to the songs on their myspace and never really did it, but they were a lot of fun live. Some would say gimmicky, and maybe so, but it was so much fun. WHAT'S IN THE BOX?!?
22. Love Grenades @ Echo
The singer stroked my face and held my hand. Seriously.
21. Goldfrapp @ Coachella
Sound problems made what could have been amazing great.
20. The Bird & the Bee @ Coachella
Wonderful way to start the day.
19. CSS @ Mayan
Still lots of silly, mindless fun.
18. Mogwai @ Wiltern
Good way to prepare the ears for My Bloody Valentine. No "Mogwai Fear Satan?"
17. Amanda Palmer @ Troubadour
2 hour sets in support of an upcoming solo album from which only half the songs were actually played and a ukulele cover of "Creep" FTW.
16. St. Vincent @ Coachella
Holy shit, she can really shred.
15. Battles @ Coachella
Hella short, but any longer and everyone would have had heart attacks.
14. Dresden Dolls @ Wiltern
"Two Headed Boy" FTW.
13. Metric @ Coachella
Always a good time.
12. Kraftwerk @ Coachella
So it seems most of the originals are dead or otherwise gone now, and they don't really do anything up there but press play, but still cool.
11. Feist @ Hollywood Bowl
10. Sharon Jones @ Hollywood Bowl
Attention, Amy Winehouse. This is what real soul sounds like.
9. The Verve @ Coachella
How the hell did Jack Johnson headline over the Verve? Only in American't.
8. Asobi Seksu @ Echo
After nearly four years of waiting, I finally get to see them. They were so good that I'm seriously considering catching both the LA and San Diego shows in March, assuming they play LA. Great way to spend Halloween.
7. The Cure @ the Troubadour
I will never say anything bad about myspace again. That is all.
6. My Bloody Valentine @ Santa Monica Civic
My ears are still ringing from the apocalypse. I'm told I must really be in love if I gave up a front row spot to go hang out with a girl at the back of the venue, but meeting them backstage made up for not puking or being puked on up front.
5. Roger Waters @ Coachella
The clearest sound I've ever heard at a show, especially at a festival. And it was surround sound. And don't forget the fireworks, flamethrowers, flying pigs, and laser recreation of the DSOTM album cover. Trippiest fucking trip ever, and that was before I bummed some weed.
4. Sigur Ros @ Copley Hall
Mind-blowing set coupled with an incredible setlist = perfection. Gobbledigook is the ultimate in super happy fun times. I still have some of that confetti.
3. Prince @ Coachella
Really took everyone to school. The most fun party one can have in the desert. A set that ended at 1:01am with the most intense "Let's Go Crazy", plus Morris Day & Jerome for "Jungle Love", and a cover of "Creep?" Legendary.
2. Portishead @ Coachella
I still can't believe I actually saw them.
1e. Radiohead @ Hollywood Bowl 1
I was a bit bummed that the show did not contain songs from the soundcheck like "new song", In Limbo, and the Idioteque with Hey Ya lyrics thrown in.
1d. Radiohead @ Ford Amphitheater
1c. Radiohead @ Cruzan Amphitheater
FIRST SHOW OF THE TOUR! First look at those crazy lights. And Bulletproof!
1b. Radiohead @ Santa Barbara Bowl
"Just cuz you're down in front, mate." *plays two notes* "It's a nice idea, though, I'll admit."
Thom pwned me.
1a. Radiohead @ Hollywood Bowl 2
First time hearing Talk Show Host (and my tenth show), Go Slowly, Cymbal Rush, still the only performance of Tell Me Why, and True Love Waits? Holy monk.
I am not able to integrate festival sets into this. Maybe later?
All shows in Phoenix unless noted
- Deerhunter, Times New Viking - November 29 at Modified
- The Mountain Goats and Kaki King - October 29 at Club Congress, Tucson
- Boredoms - March 15 at Cane's, San Diego
- Nina Nastasia - May 6 at Modified
- Yeasayer - November 26 at Rhythm Room
- Polvo - August 30 at Subterranean, Chicago
- Six Organs of Admittance - January 11 at Modified
- Calexico - November 7 at Antone's, Austin
- The Kills - May 22 at Brickhouse
- This Will Destroy You - February 11 at Modified
- Portishead at Coachella
- The National at Coachella
- Frightened Rabbit at Fun Fun Fun Fest
- Deerhoof at Fun Fun Fun Fest
- Les Savy Fav at Coachella
- Parts & Labor at Fun Fun Fun Fest
Wow boourns nice list. Here is mine:
1. Portishead - Coachella
2. The National - Coachella
3. Radiohead - Hollywood Bowl
4. Explosions In The Sky - Wiltern
5. Hot Chip - Wiltern
6. Sigur Ros - Greek Theater
7. Beck - Hollywood Bowl
8. Coldplay - Honda Center
9. Of Montreal - Hollywood Palladium
10. I'm From Barcelona - Coachella
also thought that feist was awful at the bowl, one of the worst i went to this year. she needs to play some songs off of monarch and stop with the faux singing of words between songs... she was slot better a few years ago at amoeba and when i saw her at a bar in san diego with like 30 people...
boourns do you ever go to the spaceland residency shows on mondays, lots of pretty good bands come through something you might want to check out... was able to see jenny lewis, noah and the whale, love and rockets, the pity party, marching band, the teenagers, the virgins, johnathan rice and the morning benders to name a few for free...
Last edited by pocket; 12-15-2008 at 09:16 PM.
on a sidenote sometimes spaceland gets big bands there for way cheap as in less than$20.most shows are 8-12.
(ac) gate k
5 <3 (seriously there is a heart on the setlist after the number 5)
musha (which is mushaboom)
s. lion (way before the reminder was released)
I + O
The Cure - Troubadour
Portishead - Coachella
Prince - Coachella
Soulwax - Hard
Bloody Beetroots - Detour
Boys Noize - Coachella
The Presets - Glasshouse
Bloc Party - Glasshouse
The Cure - Shrine
I don't even remember all the shows I've been to this year. I guess I'll have to look them up.
I've never seen so many concerts that other people and myself have mutually attended than this year.
I read about bands or DJs on this board and make my decision to go. I've never been one to say (as an example), "Well if Boourns is going to this one then I need to go".
It's not till the end of the year when lists start getting posted that I realize that Iím frequently crossing paths throughout the year with the very same people that will be walking around the polo fields in April.
Regardless of all the bitching and backbiting, there really is a commonality amongst us all. We all really do love music, some more than others (Boourns, 43 concerts may be an addiction).
2 oz blended whiskey
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 tsp powdered sugar
1/2 slice lemon
Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.
I should probably be looking back at my 2008 ticket stubs, because there's probably some big oversights- but these were some pretty memorable ones for me.
My top 10...
1) The Hives-First Avenue Club in Minneapolis Feb '08. These guys just straight up know how to perform. Pure showmanship!!!
2) Prince @ Coachella. I've never been the biggest fan of his, but now I understand why people love this guy so much. Incredible performance!
3) Editors, Hot Hot Heat, & Louis XIV- Fine Line Music Cafe Minneapolis Jan '08. I went there to see Louis XIV and Hot Hot Heat. Those 2 lived up to it. I didn't know much about Editors going into the show (I didn't go to Coachella '07, just '06 and '08), and those dudes were fuckin amazing! A really good all around show.
4) Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings- Minnesota State Fair Aug '08. This was the best of the 3 performances I had seen them this year. They were very good at Coachella, even better at Lollapalooza, but they were the best at the State Fair.
5) Booka Shade @ Lollapalooza. I missed this duo at Coachella, so I was sure to see them at Lolla. If they were as good at Coachella as they were at Lolla, I missed out. They were one of the only electronic acts to play at Lolla, and had the side street leading up to the Citi stage rockin!!!
6) Cut Copy and the Presets- Fine Line Music Cafe Minneapolis Oct '08. A really solid all-around good show. Cut Copy was every bit as good as they were at Coachella, and the Presets were damn good!
7) Rage Against the Machine @ Lollapalooza- This performance I've waited more than 10 years for. It was worth the wait. They played with a lot of energy. I unfortunately couldn't attend Coachella '07, so it took me this long to see these guys finally.
8) Boyz Noize @ Coachella- The best DJ act among many really good ones at Coachella '08 IMO. This dude blew the roof off the Sahara!
9) Sia @ Coachella- She was very solid throughout her performace, but the last 4-5 songs she turned it up a notch, and just let that talented voice loose! She's really blew me away and ended her performance strong!
10) Mark Ronson@Lollapalooza. It helps when you have a much kinder set time at Lolla than you do at Coachella. He had to go against the first part of Portishead at Coach. He went right before Kanye (and opposite Girl Talk) at Lolla. I think the crowd energy set this performance apart from Coach. Very Solid.
A very honorable mention goes to-
Rock the Garden: June 2008 at Minnesota Sculpture Garden/Walker Art Center- Bon Iver, Cloud Cult, the New Pornographers, and Andrew Bird. Everyone that performed there was really good, and it was a really good outdoor venue to see a show.
Radiohead@Lolla- First time ever seeing them and they were very good. But It was a long hot day, and I was too fried to appreciate their performance more.
VHSorBeta- 7th Street Entry (First Avenue Club) Minneapolis July '08. Every bit as good as Coachella, but in a more intimate club setting.
If y'all fresh to death, then I'm deceased... -Kanye West
Jamiroquai 2014 please.
Bjork doing Biophilia, 6/2 Hollywood Palladium, Los Angeles, CA
Outside Lands, 8/9-11 Golden Gate Park, San Francisco, CA
--almost, almost, almost the real thing
1. Radiohead - Hollywood Bowl Night 2
2. Flea + John Frusciante Secret Show - Troubadour
3. Yeasayer - Troubadour
4. Bloc Party - Mayan Theater
5. Mars Volta - UC Irvine
6. Hot Chip - Wiltern
7. Soulwax - Hard
8. Ratatat - Echoplex
9. Friendly Fires - Mayan Theater
10. Eastern Conference Champions - Crash Mansion
off the top of my head, unordered:
- Animal Collective : Coachella
- Radiohead : All Points West
- the National : Sasquatch
- Flaming Lips : Sasquatch
- Sigur Ros : Benaroya
- Dan Deacon : Bumbershoot
- Girl Talk : All Points West
- Wolf Parade + Foals : Neumo's
- Grand Archives : Triple Door
- Hot Chip : Showbox
I must be forgetting a lot.
'Twas April 26th.
This is the list of acts I saw this year from Jan - Dec.
- From The Jam / Hugh Cornwall
- Nada Surf / Port O'Brien
- Ghostland Observatory
- The Raconteurs
- Coachella : Portishead, Kraftwerk, Prince, MMJ, RW, MGMT, Malkmus & The Jicks, DCFC, The Verve, The Breeders, Battles, Rogue Wave, Holy Fuck, The Raconteurs
- Nick Cave
- Primavera : MGMT, Tindersticks, Malkmus & The Jicks, Public Enemy, Swell Season, Port O'Brien, Bob Mould, Portishead, Dinosaur Jr., Lightspeed Champion, The Notwist
- Radiohead / Bat for Lashes
- The Police / Elvis Costello
- MFNW : Mogwai, Vampire Weekend, Nada Surf, Port O'Brien, Fuck Buttons, John Vanderslice, Helio Sequence
- Nick Cave
- The Raconteurs
- Ghostland Observatory
- The Wedding Present
- Franz Ferdinand
- Vampire Weekend
Boourns what was that "incredible setlist" for Sigur Ros? And, care to elaborate on the story from Radiohead at the SB Bowl?
But my pet peeves, and of course it all goes to your own personal taste, is when there is whole hour or two block of time when no one performing interests me, but then there's 3 acts I wanna see that are all playing at the same time lol. We all have countless examples of this lol.
The other case, is when you just didn't know enough about the performer at the time (and yes, I try to do quite a bit of sampling from various artists performing leading up to the festival). And then afterward you realize how awesome he/she/they are, and that you should've seen them when you had the chance lol.
If y'all fresh to death, then I'm deceased... -Kanye West
Jamiroquai 2014 please.
How fucking awesome was "Burning Down the House" with him in the tutu??
Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
1. Prince @ Coachella
2. Portishead @ Coachella
3. Tom Petty/Steve Winwood @ Irvine
4. George Michael @ MGM Grand in LV
5. Kraftwerk @ Coachella
6. Elton John @ Honda Center
7. Yazoo @ Orpheum
8. Goldfrapp @ Orpheum
9. Mary J. Blige @ Hollywood Bowl
10. Donna Summer @ Hollywood Bowl
11. Diana Ross @ Fantasy Springs Casino
12. Eric Burdon @ Spotlight 29 Casino
13. STP @ Casino Morongo
14. Tom Morello in Chicago
15. Barry Manilow @ Kimmel
16. James @ Anaheim HOB
17. Jack Bruce @ Fantasy Springs Casino
18. James Blunt @ The Palms in LV
19. The Donnas in Yucca Valley
20. Rufus Wainwright @ McCallum Theatre in Palm Desert
I don't know I can't remember all of them right now.
Coachella - Portishead/The Racontuers/Slightly Stoopid
Outsidelands - Radiohead/Black Moutain
Street Scene - Beck/Micheal Franti
NIN - Planet Hollywood, LV
Slightly Stoopid - Orange County Fair
Slightly Stoopid - The Independent, SF
Atmosphere - HOB, LV
Stephen Marley - The Joint, LV
Barrington Levy - Reggae In The Desert, LV
Slightly Stoopid - The Joint, LV
Pepper - Hard Rock Pool, LV
1. Portishead (Coachella, 4/26)
Everything else in alphabetical order:
CSS (Treasure Island, 9/20)
The Faint (Phoenix, AZ, 11/1)
Goldfrapp (Coachella, 4/25)
Nine Inch Nails (Las Vegas, NV, 12/13)
Okkervil River (Phoenix, AZ, 9/25)
Radiohead (San Diego, CA, 8/27)
Radiohead (Santa Barbara, CA, 8/28)
Sigur Ros (Phoenix, AZ, 9/30)
Simian Mobile Disco (Coachella, 4/27)
Hmmmmmmm, alot of EDM down here
1.Kayne West, Glow in the Dark Tour at Nokia Center (Night 2)
2.ATB at HSII
3.MSTRKRFT at Henry Fonda (the show in September)
4.Deadmau5 at HARD
5.Soulwax at HARD
6.Moby at EDC
7.SebastiAn at HARD (I had so much fun during his set)
8.2ManyDJs at HARD (ok so I actually heard them from outside while i was waiting in line, but damn they sounded great)
9.Audio Bullys at O2 Wireless Festival in London
10.Daft Punk at HARD
I still have TAO on NYE, and Im sure the list will be different after but Ill probably forget about this to update
1. Gogol Bordello - 8/1 The Metro
2. Metallica - 12/15 San Diego
3. Band Of Horses - 8/28 Orpheum
4. Justice - Coachella 2008
5. Radiohead - 8/19 Vancouver
6. Bad Religion - HOB Anaheim 3/1 night B setlist
7. Portishead - Coachella 2008
8. Jay Z - Pemberton Festival
9. Mstrkrft/Felix Cartal - Fist of God tour @ Celebrities
10. Matt Nathanson - 10/29 HOB Sunset
updated list.... I forgot Band of Horses in my original post....excellent excellent show of theirs... and added a Metallica show...
Pitchfork Festival: 7/19 @ Union Park
Mountain Oasis Festival: 10/25-27
1. John '00' Fleming - Vanguard, Hollywood
2. Sasha and Digweed - TAO, Los Angeles
3. Aphex Twin - Coachella
4. John Digweed - Vanguard, Hollywood
5. Dave Seaman - Avalon, Hollywood
6. Deadmau5 - Coachella
7. Above and Beyond - Love Fest, San Francisco
8. Sasha and Digweed - Coachella
9. Lee Coombs - TAO, Los Angeles
10. Gogol Bordello - Coachella
Yes, I like Sasha and Digweed.