Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Outsidelands Festival Coming Back?

Default Re: Outsidelands Festival Coming Back?

The easy solution is for Tom Tom and Superfan to forgot about San Francisco altogether and stay out of it. Everybody wins!
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    You were right. I was wrong.

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

Outside Lands needs to figure out the transportation station for next year. That many people getting released into the streets at the same time was no deals.

Quote Originally Posted by real talk View Post
    The easy solution is for Tom Tom and Superfan to forgot about San Francisco altogether and stay out of it. Everybody wins!

That was some Real Talk.

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

And a dance tent always makes everything better

Uh, no...

Banned

the more i thought about it, the best bet is for all these groups to ditch downtown san francisco and gv to ditch APW and try to find a spot outside the area like coachella does and bonnaroo. it just seems like they want too much dough and its easier and probably more cost effective to find something outside the main market....

main reason i say this is im in sacramento so bring that shit out here and set up a bonnaroo type thing! lol its a pipedream!!

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pancakespancakes View Post
    Okay this is seriously said at EVERY SINGLE FREAKING FESTIVAL, someday we need to all get over it! There will never be a festival where it doesn't happen to at least half of those in attendance, its just the way of the business, but the point is we're all supposed to make decisions and have great times anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    Kingsblend, you would be surprised at how difficult it is to schedule bands. It's not like the promoter gets to straight up tell everyone where they play.
    uh. yeah it's difficult to schedule, and there are always conflicts, but seriously outside lands astounded me on this one. it's second only to vegoose in terms of stupid conflicts. they'll never please everyone, but they could have made the whole thing a whole lot fucking better for everyone if they'd put beck on the main stage before radiohead. then there would have been fewer complaints about conflicts, and fewer complaints about the congestion moving from stage to stage.

I'm happy to give OSL a second chance. though generally I'm in favor of festivals that are far from anywhere, where people need to make an effort to get there.

You are right about Beck. I know the promoters recognize(d) that even before it happened. There was probably something artist-related involved with that one.

Hippie

Jon, you're blazed again.

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    uh. yeah it's difficult to schedule, and there are always conflicts, but seriously outside lands astounded me on this one. it's second only to vegoose in terms of stupid conflicts. they'll never please everyone, but they could have made the whole thing a whole lot fucking better for everyone if they'd put beck on the main stage before radiohead. then there would have been fewer complaints about conflicts, and fewer complaints about the congestion moving from stage to stage.

Alright well now I'm just really confused. Because Beck did NOT conflict with Radiohead. He clearly ended 10 minutes before they started. And as a result I saw all of both, which was perfect, (for me anyway).

Are you just talking about the bottleneck between the two stages? What does that have to do with scheduling? I understand the whole bit about everyone and their mother wanting to go from Beck to Radiohead and thus making things very crowded in between, but that has to do with the layout, which I agree was pretty flawed in that area...... (lucky for me I hopped the fence and went through the trees, never had to deal with it).

Or is there some other example of horrible scheduling at OSL that you or someone else would like to point out to me? Because my recollection has come up short.

For the record, yeah, Vegoose was pretty lame with Public Enemy and Cypress Hill. Kinda silly really.

But actually, Vegoose 07 (for which I unfortuantely only went to Saturday) holds my personal record for largest percentage of bands seen in one day, which is all but one (Atmosphere, who I did not really like at the time, but now regret). So in other words, scheduling for that day was otherwise great.

The problem with this years Outside Lands and the reason I did not go is it conflicted with the SUnset Street Junction in East Hollywood. I am sure others would have went to OSL, but went to Sunset Junction again. Sunset Junction has been a tradition since it started in 1980, when it used to be free or "donation requested."

Forget about San Francisco? I could never do such a thing... I never cried foul over the city, I love San Francisco, I just thought that the festival itself was a complete disaster. Everything from the conflicts, the locations of the stages, the lack of electronic music (even though it was advtertised), and the fact that it was in GG park which I don't think was a proper location for a festival of that magnitude. The one thing the fest had going for it was the food which was amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    And I have a dick for you to eat if youre hungry still.

Sunset Street Junction has such a diverse and colorful scene, even if many of the bands are not that good. It would be L.A.s best music festival, but I think the Detour Festival now has the top spot. I missed the free Make Music show in Pasadena, and I heard great things about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    Forget about San Francisco? I could never do such a thing... I never cried foul over the city, I love San Francisco, I just thought that the festival itself was a complete disaster. Everything from the conflicts, the locations of the stages, the lack of electronic music (even though it was advtertised), and the fact that it was in GG park which I don't think was a proper location for a festival of that magnitude. The one thing the fest had going for it was the food which was amazing.
    Electronic music was never advertised. I don't think anyone intended for that proposal to end up on the internet.

Hippie

Or is there some other example of horrible scheduling at OSL that you or someone else would like to point out to me? Because my recollection has come up short.
    The only really bad ones were Primus vs. Cake, and Rodrigo y Gabriela vs. Widespread Panic. Those bands have many of the same fans. Overall, the thought the conflicts were very minimal though, you're right.

Coachella and Bonnaroo always do the best with scheduling which is one of the many reasons why those are the two best festivals in the country. Lolla has the worst conflicts.

I would like to go to Sunset Junction someday and I hope the two don't conflict again next year. Of course, my favorite band on the planet, Broken Social Scene, played this year, so that would have been amazing in itself... but they were also at OSL so the decision was easy to make.

I saw 2007's lineup and it was surprisingly great too. Seems like an overall good time. I really like fests in the streets....... hell, almost as much them polo fields.

Hippie

You didn't miss anything. BSS completely blew at sunset junction, mostly due to serious sound issues.

I would like to go to Sunset Junction someday and I hope the two don't conflict again next year. Of course, my favorite band on the planet, Broken Social Scene, played this year, so that would have been amazing in itself... but they were also at OSL so the decision was easy to make.

I saw 2007's lineup and it was surprisingly great too. Seems like an overall good time. I really like fests in the streets....... hell, almost as much them polo fields.
    I like pancakespancakes.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by Backwater View Post
    Lolla has the worst conflicts.
    Yeah I really don't know what to say about Lolla, they're just flat out bad. Nothing more too it. Maybe Perry does the scheduling all himself?

But the only positive is they tell you months in advance. I was literally planning on going this year, but I had heard the rumors, so I decided to wait on my tickets/reservations till I saw the schedule for myself... sure enough, of the 6 major bands I wanted to see, 4 conflicted perfectly end-to-end (Battles vs. BSS, Rage vs. Wilco). So I said eff that. Hopefully next year!

Sunset Junction is a great festival. The lineup this year was really good, it's a shame it conflicted with Radiohead @ The Hollywood Bowl or I would have gone. Also the passing of Mr. Isaac Hayes (the headliner) right before the fest was deeply saddening.

Quote Originally Posted by Backwater View Post
    You didn't miss anything. BSS completely blew at sunset junction, mostly due to serious sound issues.
    Same thing happened to their set at Bonnaroo... How was their set at OSL?

They were great.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    Same thing happened to their set at Bonnaroo... How was their set at OSL?
    Well to each his own I guess, they were my 2nd favorite act of Bonnaroo... of course when they're your favorite band its kinda a given?

They're really not so special live though. I have always considered them an albums band. Or a "headphones band" if you will. It doesn't always translate the best live.

I started crying during OSL though hahaha... which I hadn't done since I was like 12... I think its an unhealthy addicition to them.

They're really not so special live though. I have always considered them an albums band. Or a "headphones band" if you will. It doesn't always translate the best live.
    That's a shame you feel that way, I think their a fantastic live band. Two out of the three times I have seen them they have had some pretty terrible sound issues though. I almost died when they were not billed on the one day that I went to OSL (Friday).

I still think they're pretty good live, its just that I have waaaaaay too high of expectations, all my 2nd and 3rd and 4th favorite bands are really really amazing live, (and that is why I love them), so its strange that the one I love more than anything else is just kinda... normal.

They're very enthusiastic though, and that's probably the most important trait of all in a live band. They go out of their way to make each show special.

Did anyone else see Bon Iver at OL? I thought he killed it. I didn't get to watch much, but man was he good.

Wilco, too, was on a whole different level. Top 5 performance of the year for me.

Hippie

all my 2nd and 3rd and 4th favorite bands are really really amazing live
    ... and who are they?

The Mars Volta (I know I know flame all ya want), My Morning Jacket, The White Stripes, Arcade Fire, and Animal Collective. And the last one's not especially incredible live, but still great.