Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Outsidelands Festival Coming Back?

Default Re: Outsidelands Festival Coming Back?

As usual, most of you have no idea what you are talking about. Carry on.

Livenation sucks. I hope Goldenvoice will rescue it and give it a better lineup. From what I remember, Fridays lineup was good but Saturdays and SUndays lineups were too mainstream for me.
    Last edited by kroqken; 11-19-2008 at 08:37 PM.

Thumbs down Re: Outsidelands Festival Coming Back?

Toss the people who did the sound. I think it was Berkeley based Meyer Sound. I could be wrong, but there is no excuse to fuck up during Radiohead.

Also, hire a shit load more muni cars to come. No excuse to have some people have to sleep out in the park because they missed the last BART trains out due to a lack of muni cars.

Get a better line up and add all the things I just mentioned and you may have a successful show, but overall this years OSL was a sorry sorry excuse for a festival.
    >>>>East Bay<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nipples View Post
    scoop the eucalyptus infused shit out of a koala's ass and chow down you crocodile dundee special edition blu-ray owning, fosters keg hoarding, didgeridoo fellating, outback steakhouse gift card carrying dingo-dicked puddle of kangaroo piss.

go listen to wolfmother...

ah, the memories. walking from GG Park to SFSU. worth the chafing.

Barring sound problems for Radiohead, I had a great time at OSL. Friday was a bit hectic, but for the next two days I camped near the main stage, occasionally making the trek between the two main stages. I would love to see goldenvoice pick this up and turn it into something great.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I'm still waiting for Jack White to finally admit that he invented the guitar.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who had an amazing time at OSL, I thought it was getting a surprising amount of crappy reviews from this board after it happened... Live Nation taking it over though would make me cry. GV taking it would be interesting, but really really doubtful they would run two separate fests in California (not including Stagecoach, which would make three). So I'm hoping Superfly & APE take her back. It was a great festival, awesome location, best weather ever, and I thought was a fantastic lineup. Seems more like a Superfly festival to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    The festival circuit can go on just fine without this sad excuse for a music festival.
    Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    You got some low standards there to think it was amazing
    Well, I will happily disagree with the two of you.

Just for the record, I have also attended Coachella, Bonnaroo, & Vegoose, so its not like I'd never been to a festival before. And yes, I had just as good of a time here than the other three, barring Coachella to some extent.

Quote Originally Posted by tubescape View Post
    For a first time event, I think they hit a home run.
    AGREED!

It was the first time I attended a first time fest (does that make sense?), so I suppose I didn't really know what to expect... but alas, it beat my expectations anyway!

A lot of the complaints came from people who went one day for Radiohead. It is doubtful those people would have come back anyway, even without the first time festival problems, considering what they were there for.

These were the same people who decided to show up an hour and a half before Radiohead went on and expected to stroll up to will call, get their tickets and go into the venue.

Etc.

I would travel back for this fest.

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    A lot of the complaints came from people who went one day for Radiohead.
    It does seem like most of the folks on this board, (being the rabid Radiohead fanatics that they are,) only came Friday.

Hoenstly, I didn't exactly have a very good time Friday either. Radiohead were great, Beck was enjoyable, but even RH I had some trouble settling down and getting into. The MUNI situation just really threw off my mood, and I was really really sad about missing Black Mountain (thanks to the buses) so overall I was just a little to wound up, not good for a music festival... and then of course, the first day of the fest was obviously going to be the rockiest, and it certainly showed the way they were running.

Bballarl did you go yourself? Did you have a good time?

I was there all 3 days, but was working and only caught a handful of bands. I am defensive for a reason. We were well aware of the mistakes and the things could be done better. What is frustrating to me is when people criticize the intelligence and competence of the promoters, who have been doing large shows at the Park for a long time and are extremely aware of the issues from the weekend.

It is unfortunate that the first day (and hence the day with the most bugs) had to be the day with the most people and the most unreasonable fans/expectations.

The MUNI debacle was easy to beat. I went to Powell Station and it was ridiculously packed. So I took the next train to Embarcadero and then took the next N train to the park. It was empty at Embarcadero. It was packed by Powell. Same method on the way out of the festival. Instead of waiting at the normal exits, just walk deeper into the Sunset until there were fewer people waiting. Got on an empty train and had a nice seat. Extra 20 minutes each way instead of sleeping in the park or waiting in Powell with a thousand other people.

Saturday was probably the most relaxing festival experience that I've ever had. The Radiohead fans nearly ruined the festival the day. All your complaints lie with them.

Also, the food was the best I've ever come across at festivals. Having local restaurants serving food was perfect.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

On Sunday I left right after Wilco and didn't feel like waiting for a train. So I walked back to the Civic Center BART station. That was actually kind of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by dorkfish View Post
    The MUNI debacle was easy to beat. I went to Powell Station and it was ridiculously packed. So I took the next train to Embarcadero and then took the next N train to the park. It was empty at Embarcadero. It was packed by Powell. Same method on the way out of the festival. Instead of waiting at the normal exits, just walk deeper into the Sunset until there were fewer people waiting. Got on an empty train and had a nice seat. Extra 20 minutes each way instead of sleeping in the park or waiting in Powell with a thousand other people.

Saturday was probably the most relaxing festival experience that I've ever had. The Radiohead fans nearly ruined the festival the day. All your complaints lie with them.

Also, the food was the best I've ever come across at festivals. Having local restaurants serving food was perfect.
    lol thats what we did for lovefest, beat everyone out and a nice seat. it was sick.
    Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    Make up rumors of who's playing > keep track of who's confirmed > whine about where the lineup is > lineup announced! > bitch about how the lineup sucks > whine about what bands will be added > bands finally added! > whine about where set times are > set times finally announced! > bitch about how set times suck > goto show > come back and say Coachella was best ever! > start rumors for next year

I had a good time at the festival.

The first day was crazy but what do you want it was the first day ever.

I really appreciated how on the second day the city had more public trains running, attendants at the stops, etc.

Also, after the craziness of trying to get to beck on that tiny side stage it was great how they widened the path almost immediately and knocked one fence down so you could go another way.

It's the little things like that I really noticed.

Plus, I really thought Wine Haven was a great idea.

Whoever mentioned food is dead-on; the food at OSL was so good, much better than Coachella. I'm not veggie, but I got hooked on this organic vegetable curry and rice that was being sold at one of the booths. Over the weekend, I literally ate five of them. So good. And then on Sunday I had my face was melted by the quality of the BBQ ribs.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I'm still waiting for Jack White to finally admit that he invented the guitar.

Hippie

Quote Originally Posted by greghead View Post
    my face was melted by the quality of the BBQ ribs.
    Was it epic though?

Every bit of food product was local a friend of ours coordinated the food vendors and local criteria.
    The company I work for does tons of work for the city with just about every agency from dpw, sfpuc, muni to sf rec n park...I'm glad the festival generated revenue for rec n park and hope this can become an annual fund raiser for the city...

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

in the paper this morning I caught that whoever bids is required to have at least ten years experience promoting concerts in a major city. how long have APE been at it?

Ape is still pretty young at least 10 years but mostly small stuff I think treasure island is probably their biggest event.

I love San Francisco.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    I love San Francisco.
    When are you coming back? I'll be down south for 9 days for christmas...

Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    I love San Francisco.
    I will second this. A good amount of what made OSL awesome. I need to get back there soon, I'm sad the Mars Volta isn't coming back for NYE because it gave me a good excuse to make it up there... perhaps I should just make it to the Phil Lesh/Bob Weir new years show at the Bill Graham..

Quote Originally Posted by dorkfish View Post
    And I will third this.

Have you been to Bonnaroo?

It was certainly as good as the Roo food, maybe a little better... Superfly/APE seem to put a little more effort into their food than GV, excluding Vegoose.

Lots of naysayers and as mentioned above, most of those who are criticizing probably only went for Friday, which was not even a full day of music. I went all 3 days and my review is based on the experience as a whole. Friday definitely had problems, but ones that can be fixed. And for the record, the sound cutting out was a POWER problem, not associated with Meyers that was providing the sound system. There simply needed to be more generators or better ones. The sound itself at the main stage was pretty darn good. When you can stand 10-20' from the large speakers and get a clear sound that doesn't destroy your ears, something is being done right. If this festival happens again, which I hope it does, I think things will run a lot smoother. The bottlenecks between stages is something that needs to be addressed for certain. But this isn't a flat grassy polo field here folks, so given the topography and vegetation, APE & Superfly did pretty well with the set up.

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    in the paper this morning I caught that whoever bids is required to have at least ten years experience promoting concerts in a major city. how long have APE been at it?
    APE is 5 years old, but a lot of the main people were with Bill Graham Presents loooooong before that. So experience is not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by tubescape View Post
    If this festival happens again, which I hope it does, I think things will run a lot smoother. The bottlenecks between stages is something that needs to be addressed for certain. But this isn't a flat grassy polo field here folks, so given the topography and vegetation, APE & Superfly did pretty well with the set up.
    Correct.

APE is 5 years old, but a lot of the main people were with Bill Graham Presents loooooong before that. So experience is not an issue.
    I thought it's been longer than that...I love ape and wish them infinite success!!!

A lot of the complaints came from people who went one day for Radiohead. It is doubtful those people would have come back anyway, even without the first time festival problems, considering what they were there for.

These were the same people who decided to show up an hour and a half before Radiohead went on and expected to stroll up to will call, get their tickets and go into the venue.

Etc.
    I had a ticket already. I was like 3 hours early for Radiohead.

My complaints (barring the obvious sound issue) was the fact that the design to the festival fucking sucked. I just dont think Golden Gate Park is setup for something like this. It sucks, I know we all want a festival in SF, but its just the way it is. Its too easy for people to sneak in. Its too hard to get around once you are in. And its too hard to get to and from the festival. Its just the way it is.
    And although I only went one day. I have to say something that was consistent was how good they were at creating the best conflicts possible. It was like someone sat down and said OK yeah those two bands have alot of the same fans. Lets make sure they play at the same time.
    Last edited by Wheres the beef?; 11-19-2008 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kingsblend420 View Post
    I have to say something that was consistent was how good they were at creating the best conflicts possible. It was like someone sat down and said OK yeah those two bands have alot of the same fans. Lets make sure they play at the same time.
    Okay this is seriously said at EVERY SINGLE FREAKING FESTIVAL, someday we need to all get over it! There will never be a festival where it doesn't happen to at least half of those in attendance, its just the way of the business, but the point is we're all supposed to make decisions and have great times anyway.

Tip for kingsblend: next festival lineup you see, whether it be Coachella or where ever else, subtract 1/4-1/3 of the bands you want to see from the lineup, then decide if it is still worth going to.

For the record, as amazing as the lineup was, I did not have one single ounce of conflict I can complain about the whole weekend; it was the best of the six major festivals I have yet been in attendance (unless of course you count the Black Mountain/MUNI Bus conflict...) So apparently we have different taste?

I went all 3 days. I love that city, music + SF. You can't go wrong. But the sound cutting out was a real bummer. And even though I don't live there. I think it should end earlier on Sunday. That's part of what makes that city great. They find a way to work together. So, that said, I would go again, if someone, GV or anyone, makes it happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by pancakespancakes View Post
    Tip for kingsblend: next festival lineup you see, whether it be Coachella or where ever else, subtract 1/4-1/3 of the bands you want to see from the lineup, then decide if it is still worth going to.
    Kingsblend, you would be surprised at how difficult it is to schedule bands. It's not like the promoter gets to straight up tell everyone where they play.