Page 1 of 19 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official DJing/production and associated hardware/software thread

Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar

Default The Official DJing/production and associated hardware/software thread

Frozen Pilgrim, curator

share discoveries, ask questions, babble about cool new gadgets, etc. I know a fair number of us are involved in this stuff in degrees varying from dabbleage to full-fledged deck-god-dom, so now we have a thread!
    DJs, unite!

Resident DnB Encyclopedia Donaldj's Avatar

Default Re: The Official DJing/production and associated hardware/software thread

Hi I'm Donald, I spin Drum & Bass. I started back in 1996 spinning old techno, 80s, alternative dance stuff blah blah. I had a few residencies in Dallas when I was in college back in 99-2001. I quit a year or two after moving to LA and picked it back up about a year and a half ago, this time diving hardcore into Drum & Bass.

I pretty use my 2 tech 1200s and 2 10 year old Pioneer 500s (pre-1000s). I'm thinking about buying a copy of Serato for my birthday in January.
    I sorta screw around with Traktor a little bit too.

Good thread btw.
    Last edited by Donaldj; 11-14-2008 at 07:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Semantic View Post
    If there was a Frank Lucas of DnB links, Donald would be him...

Donald is not only the Frank Lucas of the board, but also the resident Buddha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Luster View Post
    All in favor of an Underworld / High Contrast US co-tour say "AYE!"
    "Real Drum & Bass is not something that sounds like a 17 year old rock band who have just listened to Slipmatt on their first E & decided to make Drum & Bass" - Marcus Intalex

http://soundcloud.com/donaldj-1/jind...pect-8-16-2012

Default Re: The Official DJing/production and associated hardware/software thread

hola!
    I suppose I should make a similar introductory post

I'm Luca. AKA pilgrim, AKA MEMrx
    I spin whatever I can smash together and make sound good. I like to fly all over the map, and a typical set can run from 85-230 bpm and through every key on the chromatic scale. if I could pick out a few primary genres, they'd be house, detroit techno, electro house, psytrance, ragga jungle, hip-hop, and dubstep. I also produce the odd track here and there using a combination of reason 3 and live sampling. I've only been into DJing and EDM production for about a year, but I've been a musician and music-obsessed my whole life, so spinning has just been a natural extension and a remarkably easy transition. I came to coachella 07, got sahara fever, and haven't looked back.

Production-related: PRO TOOLS 8 IS COMING YAY!

that is all.

nice! I wonder if it will have multi-touch support? I'd love to be able to really use a touchscreen with protools. I mean, the dedicated hardware is so damn expensive anyways...

Quote Originally Posted by frozen pilgrim View Post
    nice! I wonder if it will have multi-touch support? I'd love to be able to really use a touchscreen with protools. I mean, the dedicated hardware is so damn expensive anyways...
    No clue. But I DO know it'll run on Vista, which is good news for me, because when HP replaced my computer a few weeks ago (my old one got lost in the mail, and then somehow came back to me) it ended up I could only get Vista on it. (Which I hate...)

But since it's a new laptop and is pretty pricey, has amazing speakers, and a big processor...I wanted to install ProTools on it. Looks like I'll be able to. Yay.

Coachella Junkie

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kitt kat View Post
    No clue. But I DO know it'll run on Vista, which is good news for me, because when HP replaced my computer a few weeks ago (my old one got lost in the mail, and then somehow came back to me) it ended up I could only get Vista on it. (Which I hate...)

But since it's a new laptop and is pretty pricey, has amazing speakers, and a big processor...I wanted to install ProTools on it. Looks like I'll be able to. Yay.
    Good luck with this. Vista is a huge resource hog, and throwing Pro Tools on top of that isn't going to help, especially when trying to run multiple plug-ins and such. The operating system alone is 100 gigs or something ridiculous like that.

Also I have 2 1200s and spin house and electro and 80s stuff. Mainly just at friend's parties. Fun times.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

I uh... Use a laptop. Youtube. Ableton.

I have two vinyl turntables waiting for me (I think they're Technics) and I'm going to get Scratch Live at some point.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Got all this (used) back in mid July of this year. Two Technic 1200's turntables. Numark DXM06 mixer. Sony MDR-V700DJ Headphones (bought these new).

I still can't beat match properly, but I'm trying...

Been mostly working with house. Would like to learn breaks and hip hop/scratching.
    Last edited by Bosco; 11-15-2008 at 01:05 AM.
    ass on the grill

It's tough Bosco. I taught myself and it took me at least 6 months before I hit my first one correctly. The thing that finally clicked for me was realizing the pitch sliders were just math. As long as you knew the bpm of the tracks you're playing you can do simple math and figure out approximately what values on the sliders will make the tracks match time signature. Then it's just very subtle tweaking to keep them matched. Anything 4/4 is definitely the best way to learn so stick with house for the time being. Once you get the basics down with 4/4 it's easy to switch to breaks/hip-hop/broken beats/drum & bass etc.
    Last edited by Donaldj; 11-15-2008 at 07:46 AM.

"Real Drum & Bass is not something that sounds like a 17 year old rock band who have just listened to Slipmatt on their first E & decided to make Drum & Bass" - Marcus Intalex

PROGRAMS
    -Ableton Live 7
    -Fruity Loops
    -Sonar 7
    -Cake Walk
    -Serato
    -Trakto Scratch Live
    -Torq
    -Drumbs, Rifts, Bass, Guitar etc etc apps.
    -Windows Xp/Vista
    -Mac OSX

HARDWARE
    XENYX 12in MIXER
    2 Yamaha Door Speakers,2 amps, 1 interface
    Skull Candys, Pionoeer, Technics, and Bose Headphones
    3 Audio 8 Dj Sound Drivers
    1 Rane Audio Sound Driver
    RC ins/outs
    1 M Audio Sound Driver
    2 Djm 400's
    1 Djm 600
    1 Numark(in picture above)
    6 1200MK2's
    2 MK5's
    12 M447 Needles
    2 Macbooks
    3 HP Laptops
    6 Windows Towers
    9 128, 256, 500, 1tb External Hard Drives
    22 Flash Drives
    Roland 9SX Electric Drumb Set/ROLAND TD6 percussion sound module
    YAMAHA weighted electric keyboard with midi and usb drive cable60+keys
    YAMAHA keyboard 30+keys
    YAMAHA keyboard >20keys
    Multi Trak Recording Studio MRS-1266
    MPD24
    AKAI MPC400

This is me and 3 others. We all work together and are doing well. Mixing/creating. We don't do much, besides work and school, and this. Takes up all of our time. My goal, not really any others, is to play at 9:45@ Saharah Tent, Saturday night at Coachella. Sounds ridiculous, but I know what I want. (it might sound outragious, cocky and dumb but.. hey, go fuck yourselves).

I know friends who master songs. Friends with vocals we sample, friends with guitars we sample, bass, saxophone, violin and harmonica.

We've played at clubs and parties, for family and friends.

PM me with questions or if you want emailed what we've done.

Night
    Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    Don't ever use Paul's name again in a posting. YOU GOT THAT YOU STUPID MOTHERFUCKER? Paul was making his bones in the business back when you were just cum in your mother's ear.

bosco-
    you should buy/borrow a dual bpm counter. you still have to physically beatmatch yourself, but it eliminates the guesswork

I suppose I could post a gear list

1x windows tower
    2x macbooks
    1x power mac
    2x 8 channel usb audio boxes
    1x usb to 4 pin midi
    1x trigger finger
    1x keystation 61
    1x 1200 dpi mouse
    1x casio 61 key sawtooth keyboard
    1x nord lead
    1x 8-source 4 channel 24/96 digital mixer w triple bpm counters, dual samplers, custom EQs, curves, and filters, etc.
    2x technics 1200 MK2
    1x numark 4 channel all-analog DJ mixer
    2x crybaby wah
    1x moogerfooger low pass filter
    uh... that's all I can remember right now

software later
    Last edited by frozen pilgrim; 11-15-2008 at 07:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    Good luck with this. Vista is a huge resource hog, and throwing Pro Tools on top of that isn't going to help, especially when trying to run multiple plug-ins and such. The operating system alone is 100 gigs or something ridiculous like that.

Also I have 2 1200s and spin house and electro and 80s stuff. Mainly just at friend's parties. Fun times.
    I know Vista sucks the big one. If all else fails, this is why I have two laptops. (The only problem is that the XP laptop already has Adobe Creative Suite, FinalDraft, and some other big programs on it...I could always do some shuffling. Any way I'd be able to transfer my Adobe to my other computer?)

To maybe somewhat bring this back on topic, I can operate the radio stations' turntable system and I DJ vinyl out on the quad whenever we're tabling. That's about the extent of my "DJ Skillz"

But I have a bunch of analog synths. I'm looking to buy a Korg Electribe EMX mainly because the arppegiating touch pad is too much fucking fun.

Coachella Junkie

Coachella Junkie

oh oops. wrong thread.

my bad.

what's funny is I bet that lindsay lohan's better at working a turntable than tiesto

wow i am so impressed by you dudes ... first time i saw protools was at the KFOG studio in SF .... i dont think i have any pics, but just to go up to a station with the creed of KFOG was pretty cool .... i have to say my station in CO, KBCO is pretty cutting edge also ... cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Fortunate to have the access to this every week:

For the most part, Artist like Boys Noize, Crookers, Bloody Beetroots, and for example The Presets have increasingly been using software programs to pre-arrange what will be heard. Instead of Djing from uncut, non re edited tracks, it now has become a mix between re editing, effecting, and warping the tracks so when played it is a seamless flawless mix. I'm not arguing or saying its bad or good, it's just what the industry is shifting toward.

I honestly think that the industry will eventually hit the point to where the artist is up on stage with two electronic turntables, whether cdj's or conventional or whatever, some kind of stand alone operating system with the software to enable mixing, and an electronic vinyl crate(hard drive)

I would love to have an HP touch screen laying flat in front of my mixer with two cdjs two mk5s, another person on 2 dvdjs creating flawless visuals that have warmth instead of a) another unknown tech b) computer generated, another person on the drums, and the last on guitar/bass. Thats kind of what me and my buddies are striving for..Just wish we were rich and could all of a sudden come up in the world and have it at our fingertips, but that takes all the excitement in learning, practicing, and slowly building up our production.

and another just like it with MK5's.. Don't ask me why we have two of the same, but it was a long time ago and it was a good deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    Don't ever use Paul's name again in a posting. YOU GOT THAT YOU STUPID MOTHERFUCKER? Paul was making his bones in the business back when you were just cum in your mother's ear.

So I wanted to start being a dj and I didn't have much money so I just bought a numark mix1 to see what was up. It is a lot of fun but now I want tostart getting a bit more serious so what do you suggest I go for? I have a black MacBook for any software.

depends if you want to go digital or analog. I'll get lynched for saying this, but I'd go digital

I am open to either. Whatever is cheaper and or easier

Both have their merits. Learning how to beat match and mix are more concepts than anything else. Once you understand what you're doing you should be able to handle either format with just a bit of tweaking.

yeah, so it really comes down to how much money and space you have.

I use Nuendo for post with various Ozone plugs. For live stuff I use Supercollider.

yeah, so it really comes down to how much money and space you have.
    I could probably work up $500-600 just from christmas, plus another couple hundred for my birthday. I just have no idea what i should be shooting for.

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

depends if you want to go digital or analog. I'll get lynched for saying this, but I'd go digital
    I can't completely disagree here. I went with vinyl because I wanted a more tactile medium to learn on as well as not being distracted by a lot of the features that the cdjs and software have to offer. Now I am at a point though where I am always borrowing a cdj whenever I play because I dont have, cant find or just dont want to spend the money on the music I want to play on vinyl. One of each may not be so bad. I don't know.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

Hi I'm Christopher. I started getting into the Dj thing in 2001. I used to spin Trance with actual records on my 1200's and pioneer 500 mixer. Since then I've moved onto fidget/electro/party type music, using Traktor with an Allen and Heath Xone 4D(best piece of equipment I've ever spent money on!). I usually preform at house/loft/university parties and such, but I'm lucky enough to play clubs once in a blue moon. I wish I had more time to really make a go for it , but finishing school is #1 priority at the moment.

I see some have listed their machines, here are mine

2 x macbooks
    4 x Technics SL-1200MK2
    2 x Pioneer CDJ 1000 MK3
    Pioneer DJM-500
    Numark dxm mixer
    Korg Kaos pad
    Allen and Heath Xone:4D
    Serato Scratch Live
    Traktor 3
    AKAI MPC 2500
    AKAI MPK 49 midi controller
    Korg MS-20
    Behringer bdc 3000
    * various audio cables/amps/flash drives/monitors(most are damaged)

I am sure I'll be back making tracks and Djing twice a week one day, until then I'm just dancing around like everyone else.

Good luck to all of you who wish to be the coolest kid in your neighborhood : )
    Last edited by seachanges; 11-17-2008 at 01:11 AM.

any of you kats use Fruity Loops?