Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MOVIES by director, actor or actress

Default Re: MOVIES by director, actor or actress

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    Can people NOT post a filmography unless you are going to write a proper impression of the films. Otherwise this thread is going to be bloated and useless.
    Agreed. And can we also avoid just writing 1-2 sentence summaries? Because if that's all this thread is, I'll just post a bunch of links to IMDB.

Quote Originally Posted by stuporfly View Post
    I will happily chime in with a Woody Allen list, though I don't think I can fight my way through every film he's ever made. There are two or three I've never seen, and for every one I loved there's at least one more I couldn't get into at all. But perhaps something of a top ten, with maybe a bottom three as well...
    I'm game for teaming up on this, if you want. I'm pretty familiar with all his movies, and a collaboration might make his filmography more manageable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Quote Originally Posted by iv3rdawG View Post
    No, The Whole Bloody Affair hasn't been released. The movies were released uncut years ago for Region 2. They're probably my favorite DVDs I own.
    Ah, thanks for the info. I have it on my hard drive and have the two movies on DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    Ah, thanks for the info. I have it on my hard drive and have the two movies on DVD.
    No problem. The Whole Bloody Affair has been rumored for release since the movie came out. Who knows when Quentin will get around to finalizing it. Maybe when he finishes Inglorious Bastards.
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    jesus christ, i leave the board for an hour to find the disneyland thread and there's all these fry threads. wtf?!

based on the first post of this thread, one needs to post a list of films from an artist's filmography that we think define the artist.
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    the only cocks I suck belong to black women.
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyboyUNM View Post
    We use the term "Off-roading" when we wanna go down on a guy with a freakish bush. "Randy, should I throw some Nair to my patch?" "Nah, brah, I wanna go off-roading"

Quote Originally Posted by iv3rdawG View Post
    No problem. The Whole Bloody Affair has been rumored for release since the movie came out. Who knows when Quentin will get around to finalizing it. Maybe when he finishes Inglorious Bastards.
    Special edition with loads of extras would be nice at some point or a Kill Bill proper box set.

Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'm game for teaming up on this, if you want. I'm pretty familiar with all his movies, and a collaboration might make his filmography more manageable.
    I like this idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by garspaceman View Post
    well hello my fancy pants.

Quote Originally Posted by allyjoy View Post
    based on the first post of this thread, one needs to post a list of films from an artist's filmography that we think define the artist.
    IMDB suffices for that. Please try and genuinely contribute.

I give Tarrantino credit for his works as they pay homage and certainly borrow themes and filming techniques from other eras that were otherwise either forgotten or dismissed as cheap in the past. I wouldn't call him a rip off artist so much.
    Have you seen Lady Snowbird? It would be hard for you to call him a rip-off artist if you hadn't seen the films he was ripping off right? Don't get me wrong, I love his films, but it's important to acknowledge (and he does, but his fans often don't) that he is 100% re-appropriating what he's doing.

Do you mean Lady Snowblood? If so, no I haven't seen it. I just think his movies revitalize interest in these genres. I will look for this movie.

I would love to do Scorsese in this thread, but I haven't seen all of his movies yet. Maybe someone can help me.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I love when people huff an 8 ball and then come on here to show off what they think they know about Stanley Kubrick.

Quote Originally Posted by allyjoy View Post
    Spike Lee:
    School Daze (1988)

Do the Right Thing (1989)

Mo' Better Blues (1990)

Malcom X (1992)

Crooklyn (1994)

4 Little Girls (1997)

Summer of Sam (1999)

Bamboozled (2000)

A Huey P. Newton Story (2001)

25th Hour (2002)

No Clockers???? tisk tisk tisk

I'm sorry, everyone, just to busy to do a full Tim Burton, although I'd love to contribute to sbessisos.

I'd love to help on Scorsese as well.

Are we still doing actors? Because when I find the time I'll definitely contribute there as well.

I'd say you need to watch more Japanese film.

And Kill Bill is fantastic in many ways, but I think it should be acknowledged that everything about the films are masterful rip-offs.
    hilariously masterful rip-offs.
    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

Do you mean Lady Snowblood? If so, no I haven't seen it. I just think his movies revitalize interest in these genres. I will look for this movie.
    Yeah sorry, got the title wrong. I downloaded this movie last year on the suggestion of a friend. Tarrantino pretty much borrowed the whole movie.

He's a strange filmmaker, but at the same time incredibly straight forward. He's honest about what he does.

I'm currently downloading. I read a few comments about how he picked the best parts to rip off and basically had better dialog. So is Snowblood 2 part of it? Or does the first one suffice?

I haven't seen the second, I heard it wasn't as good. That description sounds pretty sufficient.

Yeah sorry, got the title wrong. I downloaded this movie last year on the suggestion of a friend. Tarrantino pretty much borrowed the whole movie.

He's a strange filmmaker, but at the same time incredibly straight forward. He's honest about what he does.
    Doesn't Tarantino have one quote where he says, to some extent, "I steal from every movie ever made?"

I find that Penelope Cruz is far superior in foreign films than she is in US films.
    just an observation.
    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sbessiso View Post
    and off the top of my head, worst Burton film has gotta be Planet of the Apes with Big Fish close behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Big Fish was ok; Planet of the Apes was a total shitfest and really didn't need to be re-done, kinda like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory didn't need to be re-done. (or Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory -- I can't remember what he called that one)
    did nobody see mars attacks?

although I must say planet of the apes and charlie and the chocolate factory were awful. the chocolate factory had a lot of potential, I can't imagine a directory more suited for that film... but he blew it.

Quote Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
    I know he's doing Alice in Wonderland, which has potential to be cool, but the recent track record doesn;t inspire confidence
    wow. I didn't know that before. that makes three movies in production... tim burton's moview, marilyn manson's movie, and that one that's based on the video game alice. talk about overkill.

I am going to do Krystoff Kieslowski tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    did nobody see mars attacks?

although I must say planet of the apes and charlie and the chocolate factory were awful. the chocolate factory had a lot of potential, I can't imagine a directory more suited for that film... but he blew it.

wow. I didn't know that before. that makes three movies in production... tim burton's moview, marilyn manson's movie, and that one that's based on the video game alice. talk about overkill.
    Mars Attacks! is the obvious answer, but in my book, his most underrated. Along with Sleepy Hollow, that movie was a big hit but it just doesnt get the respect it deserves.

and those alice movies youve described have been in development FOREVER. Burton has been filming his for a month or so now. I dont have incredibly high hopes for it but id be lying if I said I wasnt a litle excited for it
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Kill Bill is a style over substance homage to Asian martial arts, kung-fu and Japanese classic films.

Quote Originally Posted by stuporfly View Post
    I will happily chime in with a Woody Allen list, though I don't think I can fight my way through every film he's ever made. There are two or three I've never seen, and for every one I loved there's at least one more I couldn't get into at all. But perhaps something of a top ten, with maybe a bottom three as well...
    Please do this. "Play It Again, Sam" is one of my favorite movies.

Also, i will consider doing Charlie Kaufman, it may take me a while though. Plus, i still have one more movie of his to see...

I don't like that child rapists films for some reason. I watched Scenes From a Mall or something and wanted to shove a sock in their mouths. I did however love Match Point. Probably because he stayed off camera.

I am going to do Krystoff Kieslowski tomorrow.
    Looking forward to this.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I love when people huff an 8 ball and then come on here to show off what they think they know about Stanley Kubrick.

I agree that just listing films/plot summaries is boring/pointless. Contribute some personal reflections.

As far as Burton goes, I think Ed Wood is his most accomplished movie, but Beetlejuice will always be my personal favorite. I grew up with that movie, it's ingrained into the development of my brain, I love it more than some members of my family. Mars Attacks! is the last one of his that I've seen that I've genuinely enjoyed. I'm not sure why it gets so much hate; it's a lot of fun, which is pretty much all it sets out to be. Charlie & The Chocolate Factory was fucking abysmal and painful to watch. I didn't mind Sweeney Todd, but I didn't love it either.

Maybe I'll do John Waters or David Cronenberg some time.

Quote Originally Posted by unitedwestand View Post
    not to even mention Forrest Gump or Sleepless in Seattle...
    Please don't.

Tom Hanks is pleasant enough, but he's been involved in some of the schmaltziest milquetoast nonsense ever committed to film. I'll watch Gump if it's on TV, but Best Picture? Maybe the biggest Oscar joke since Ordinary People beat Raging Bull.

I've never seen Cast Away even though it looked kind of interesting, because I just assumed it would be a typical Tom Hanks drama.

I wish he would do more comedy. I really liked him in Charlie Wilson's War.

Cast Away is great.

I was surprised by him in Castaway. He had to carry that movie with a volleyball as his friend and he pulled it off.

Punchline is a great Hanks movie that gives you a good look at the inside struggles of being a comic. He should get honorable mention as the alcholic uncle on Family Ties as well.

Charlie Wilsons war was a role he seemed to settle into rather easily. Not a typical character for him and I really enjoyed that movie.

Burton gets a tremendous amount of respect (including from me) considering how spotty he's been. I will always put him on a list of my favorite directors, yet I never liked the Batman movies, and Corpse Bride and Planet Of The Apes were abysmal. Charlie & The Chocolate Factory was interesting, but disappointing and unnecessary. (And who would have guessed Johnny Depp could actually ruin a decent movie instead of fixing a potentially bad one as he usually does.)

Big Fish falls right in the middle...I'm a sucker for it, but I'm well aware it's sentimental junk.

That means I can only think of 6 Burton movies that I love, and the most recent was Sleepy Hollow. He's really only batting 50%...I guess that's better than Spielberg, but still...

(Sweeney Todd is on my DVR right now...it didn't even play in my town, and I don't have Netflix any more, so I haven't even seen it yet. Maybe this weekend.)