Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Spotify

Default Re: Spotify

If I sign up for the Spotify Unlimited or Spotify Premium, will it stop freezing up on me?

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Quote Originally Posted by kreutz2112 View Post
    I use both of those and have found a different use for spotify neither of those are capable of.
    Well help us out. We're all music lovers here and if this does something different we aren't getting elsewhere, those of us scratching our heads might consider it. Or is it just that you don't have to dowload the album to your hardrive to hear it? Because honestly, that's not a hassle.

It's that you don't have to dl the album to your hard drive, which I agree isn't necessarily a hassle, but when you haven't heard the artist you're downloading and are unsure as to whether you are going to keep the album then it becomes tedious to find the album, wait ~1 min to dl it, import it into itunes, and correctly tag it (including artwork which is an extra google search). I know that can all happen in less than 5 minutes and is pretty painless, but with spotify you can be listening to the album you want to hear instantly and if you like it enough you can download it.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

.................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

kreutz, that's true of items in their catalogue (which admittedly is fairly large). For items added by other users, you can see the playlists (or tracks/albums) they've added but can't play them unless you also have the actual files (not just on your own computer but also added to Spotify's list of local files).

I keep seeing things I want to try that are not in their catalogue... haven't found much in their catalogue that I wanted to listen to. Need to keep trying.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    I keep seeing things I want to try that are not in their catalogue... haven't found much in their catalogue that I wanted to listen to. Need to keep trying.
    the catalog is pretty extensive. what are you not finding?

what shaker said.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

It's that you don't have to dl the album to your hard drive, which I agree isn't necessarily a hassle, but when you haven't heard the artist you're downloading and are unsure as to whether you are going to keep the album then it becomes tedious to find the album, wait ~1 min to dl it, import it into itunes, and correctly tag it (including artwork which is an extra google search). I know that can all happen in less than 5 minutes and is pretty painless, but with spotify you can be listening to the album you want to hear instantly and if you like it enough you can download it.
    Sorry, not sold. It doesn't seem necessary to me.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

I can see what some like in it. Especially if you like convenience and organization as kreutz stated. My roommate loves it because he tweets with a bunch of Europeans on a day to to day basis sharing links on spotify. I've just been picking through this thread to see if there is anything useful I can get from it. . It's just not for me personally.
    Last edited by faxman75; 07-19-2011 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    Sorry, not sold. It doesn't seem necessary to me.
    My time is obviously more valuable than yours.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Hey - to the people I gave an invite to, are you limited to 10 hours of listening/month or is your subscription different with those invites? Please let me know.

the flaming lips just gave away 5 vip invites on their facebook.
    To Supre:
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Isn't there some awful hardcore band you should be listening to?

My time is obviously more valuable than yours.
    Yeah because the two minutes it takes to do all that you listed is essential.

The only thing I am using to download music now is ? and I simply put it on my mp3 player or burn it to a CD if I desire to do that. I couldn't give a fuck less about album art in most cases. It takes no time at all. Not sold.

Yeah because the two minutes it takes to do all that you listed is essential.

The only thing I am using to download music now is ? and I simply put it on my mp3 player or burn it to a CD if I desire to do that. I couldn't give a fuck less about album art in most cases. It takes no time at all. Not sold.
    I've downloaded 279 albums that have been released in 2011. Of those 279 I've listened to maybe 200 and ~50-60 of the 200 have warranted multiple listens. That means I took 4.5 hours* out of the year so far to download 140 albums I probably won't ever listen to again. That's 4.5 hours I won't waste again because now I can immediately listen to whatever I want with spotify and decide if the album is worth my 5 minutes (see foot note) of work.

*this number assumes it takes 2 min to dl/import/tag/upload an album to music player, which is an unrealistic estimate. I'd say it takes more like 5 minutes (maybe more depending on where you're getting the album from), which puts my total time at 11.25 hours.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

I've downloaded 279 albums that have been released in 2011. Of those 279 I've listened to maybe 200 and ~50-60 of the 200 have warranted multiple listens. That means I took 4.5 hours* out of the year so far to download 140 albums I probably won't ever listen to again. That's 4.5 hours I won't waste again because now I can immediately listen to whatever I want with spotify and decide if the album is worth my 5 minutes (see foot note) of work.

*this number assumes it takes 2 min to dl/import/tag/upload an album to music player, which is an unrealistic estimate. I'd say it takes more like 5 minutes (maybe more depending on where you're getting the album from), which puts my total time at 11.25 hours.
    Fair enough. When I download/upload/import, most of that time is spent away from the computer while the files are uploading/downloading or being imported, so I don't see it as time I am wasting as much.

But I can see your side and perhaps after you throwing those figures around, I'll give it a closer look.

I've listened to less than 20 albums released in 2011. 200 is an impressive number. That's averaging more than 1 new album a day. Damn. I should do that but instead I listen to a lot of other stuff besides music. I'm easily distracted.
    Last edited by faxman75; 07-19-2011 at 12:22 PM.

kreutz, your argument is ridiculous. Have you found 200 albums from 2011 that are worth listening to on spotify? If so, share with me your playlist, please. If not, STFU about this being a replacement for ? and other sources of new material.

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    I've listened to less than 20 albums released in 2011. 200 is an impressive number. That's averaging more than 1 new album a day. Damn. I should do that but instead I listen to a lot of other stuff besides music. I'm easily distracted.
    I'm with you for the most part. I have my days where I download stuff non-stop, but for the most part, I do not have the patience for it considering I work two jobs and have a family. Not sure if I even have the time to listen to that many albums in 7 1/2 months.

Being able to subscribe to playlists though, such as.... Pitchforks Top Albums of 2000s, a playlist that I now have access to 100+ albums all in a single playlist... downloading that shit from what.cd would take forever and so much hard drive space... but here, im listening to it all instantly and seeing names Ive never seen before, I wouldn't want to waste my ratio on what.cd downloading 100+ albums that I may never listen to again.
    Upcoming Shows:
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

kreutz, your argument is ridiculous. Have you found 200 albums from 2011 that are worth listening to on spotify? If so, share with me your playlist, please. If not, STFU about this being a replacement for ? and other sources of new material.
    I just got Spotify on Sunday...so no I have not even come close to listening to 200 albums. I never called Spotify a replacement for ?, nor did I say it replaced other sources of new material (my other sources being mp3 blogs). I said it offers something ? and mp3 blogs can't offer: it gives you the chance to preview artists albums, sometimes entire discographies, before you download them from ? and/or mp3 blogs.

Here is what I have used Spotify for since I got it on Sunday. I have listened to the first 7 artists I had not heard of on the Decibel lineup (214, Alexi Delano, Aarabmuzik, Atlantic Connection, Beat Connection, Blondes and Chateau Flight). I listened to every album/ep/single Spotify had to offer from these artists, which was a lot. I did this without having to download each album individually (and take the necessary steps after the dl is complete) or search for each track on youtube. If I didn't have Spotify I probably wouldn't have even bothered checking out a lot of the artists I had never heard because honestly, I am too lazy to download and organize them or search for a tracklisting and listen to each song on youtube. Spotify already had them organized and I just listened.

Alexi Delano and Blondes are the shit btw and I subsequently tracked down their albums, downloaded them and now they are a permanent part of my library.

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    Being able to subscribe to playlists though, such as.... Pitchforks Top Albums of 2000s, a playlist that I now have access to 100+ albums all in a single playlist... downloading that shit from what.cd would take forever and so much hard drive space... but here, im listening to it all instantly and seeing names Ive never seen before, I wouldn't want to waste my ratio on what.cd downloading 100+ albums that I may never listen to again.
    Yeah....not to mention the hard drive space.
    Last edited by kreutz2112; 07-19-2011 at 01:00 PM.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Yea, I am pretty much in love with Alex Delano too right now! (I thought you were going to ATP though... checking out the dB lineup might be dangerous).

I'm not saying Spotify is useless, not by any means, I just wasn't finding much of what I was looking for when I was looking for it. I'm sure if I put more effort into searching, I'll find something to listen to. It's not like I've uninstalled the client and given up on it...

I guess I don't feel like it takes me a ton of effort to download music, and I have such a backlog right now that I don't just 'browse' for new artists terribly often. Believe me I wish I had more time to listen, I've made it through *maybe* 50 albums this year, and that's taken a really focused effort. Sometimes it sucks having a job that keeps me on the phone all day long.

I'm interested to hear you've had such luck with the dB artists though, and specifically I'll give it a try for those. Mostly I was finding pretty mainstream stuff that... sure, I'd listen to sometime, but couldn't imagine myself going out of my way to listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post

That's fair, but I don't see ratio as being a problem ever on what.cd. I have only had it for a little over a week and my ratio continues to rise to the point where I doubt it will even be a remote concern for me in a couple of months.

I am willing to give it a deeper look, though. What's the difference between spotify and Grooveshark?
    Last edited by GuyInTucson; 07-19-2011 at 01:08 PM.

That's fair, but I don't see ratio as being a problem ever on what.cd. I have only had it for a little over a week and my ratio continues to rise to the point where I doubt it will even be a remote concern for me in a couple of months.
    I've also never had a problem with ratio. All I do is leave my utorrent running.
    Last edited by Gribbz; 07-19-2011 at 01:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Guy Gerber - 10/29 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Fun Fun Fun Fest -11/7 - 11/9 - Auditorium Shores
    Thee Oh Sees - 11/11 - Hotel Vegas
    Caribou - 11/23 - The Mohawk

As someone who has listened to a little south of 200 new LPs this year, I am in the same boat as Kreutz as far as Spotify goes. It's a quick/dirty "filter" that is very well organized, has an intuitive GUI that is low on resource demand (being a hog will always cause me to pass) and a deep library.

? will always be the wife I love with all my heart, but Spotify is the hot latin babe I have on the side who gives me that extra something I need right when I need it.

EDIT: difference between Spotify & Grooveshark is a small, intuitive client with a deep, *very cleanly* organized library vs. a java-based web client that has most all that you need, but you have search for, then clean up to hear. It's like playing a CD in your house on demand vs spending the day crate digging at Aomeba just to find that one out-of-print Chemical Brothers "Chemical Battle Weapon" single that you've heard a million times but have never been able to find.
    Last edited by GeezrRckr; 07-19-2011 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezrRckr View Post
    ? will always be the wife I love with all my heart, but Spotify is the hot latin babe I have on the side who gives me that extra something I need right when I need it.
    hahahaha well put.
    10/22 - TV on the Radio - Fonda
    10/24 - Warhol - Royce Hall
    10/28 - Ben Frost/Tim Hecker - Los Globos
    11/05 - Pissed Jeans - Los Globos (?)
    11/08 - Seu Jorge - Luckman (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Yea, I am pretty much in love with Alex Delano too right now! (I thought you were going to ATP though... checking out the dB lineup might be dangerous).

I'm not saying Spotify is useless, not by any means, I just wasn't finding much of what I was looking for when I was looking for it. I'm sure if I put more effort into searching, I'll find something to listen to. It's not like I've uninstalled the client and given up on it...

I guess I don't feel like it takes me a ton of effort to download music, and I have such a backlog right now that I don't just 'browse' for new artists terribly often. Believe me I wish I had more time to listen, I've made it through *maybe* 50 albums this year, and that's taken a really focused effort. Sometimes it sucks having a job that keeps me on the phone all day long.

I'm interested to hear you've had such luck with the dB artists though, and specifically I'll give it a try for those. Mostly I was finding pretty mainstream stuff that... sure, I'd listen to sometime, but couldn't imagine myself going out of my way to listen to.
    I don't browse. I'm not using it as an artist discovery tool. I am using it to listen to the music by artists I discover elsewhere (such as the dB lineup page). What haven't you been able to find on Spotify? So far EVERY query I have submitted has at least brought back something from the artist I am interested in.

So far I am still going to ATP, unless I can sell my ticket for face. The reason I am attempting to sell my ticket is because I want to go to dB. I am way more into the dB lineup than I am ATPs lineup. I went to ATP in 2009 and it was fucking magical, but the lineup was the ultimate reason I went, not the experience. I jumped the gun on buying my ATP pass this year and I ultimately am regretting it. I guess I just thought Madvillain was shoe-in.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

I don't see the comparison. I don't use ? to stream. I do love all the playlists that people make on Spotify - especially artist and label ones. Merge do some great stuff, considering they took so long to add their back cat to the site. Looking forward to building some collaborative Coachella 2012 playlists with you guys once the lineup drops.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Someone hook me up with an invite so I can see for myself.

EDIT* Thank you, sir.
    Last edited by Gribbz; 07-19-2011 at 01:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Guy Gerber - 10/29 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Fun Fun Fun Fest -11/7 - 11/9 - Auditorium Shores
    Thee Oh Sees - 11/11 - Hotel Vegas
    Caribou - 11/23 - The Mohawk

Quote Originally Posted by GeezrRckr View Post
    As someone who has listened to a little south of 200 new LPs this year, I am in the same boat as Kreutz as far as Spotify goes. It's a quick/dirty "filter" that is very well organized, has an intuitive GUI that is low on resource demand (being a hog will always cause me to pass) and a deep library.

EDIT: difference between Spotify & Grooveshark is a small, intuitive client with a deep, *very cleanly* organized library vs. a java-based web client that has most all that you need, but you have search for, then clean up to hear. It's like playing a CD in your house on demand vs spending the day crate digging at Aomeba just to find that one out-of-print Chemical Brothers "Chemical Battle Weapon" single that you've heard a million times but have never been able to find.

Since, I trust your opinion on this subject for obvious reason, I am more willing to give it a shot now.

cSRfg756VfaUdseg
    ca3MmymApMRyKzUt
    c8DaDVmNX5RqAnGZ
    bzLTS4k5nXkCCaWF
    d5mUFgsCZwVb5JpE
    dt8FuNX3frGkSDFG

Take one, quote me and take the one you took off the list. And so on till they're gone.