Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Spotify

Default Re: Spotify

I wonder if they counted bootlegs of the festival show itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Or if they considered sales of music at the merch booth, which they most certainly did not.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Legal sales and Spotify's own streaming counts were not affected by the performances.
    I find this extremely hard to believe. If not after, certainly leading up to a festival or performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Well, legal sales are tracked primarily through Billboard, which only accepts certain reporting. So a merch-booth sale would likely not be reported there, and at a festival that's a serious source of possible sales. Because the music industry just doesn't understand how it runs itself.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

don't you miss it
    don't you miss it
    some of you people just about missed it

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/201...tify-the-facts

As Radiohead’s Thom Yorke pulls his work from Spotify, the debate about fairness and digital revenues continues to rage, Miranda Sawyer explains.

Yorke pulls albums from Spotify
    Radiohead lead singer Thom Yorke pulls his albums from the music streaming service Spotify in protest at how much it pays artists.

So, are you Team Thom or Team Spotify? Or are you, like most people, completely unaware of this particular musical hoo-ha? The fact that Radiohead’s Thom Yorke decided to pull his solo albums, plus the tracks of his latest band, Atoms for Peace (a collaboration with Radiohead producer Nigel Godrich), from streaming service Spotify because new artists aren’t paid enough, has not, in truth, disturbed many news bulletins. But within the music business, it has generated a lot of noise.

Everyone’s getting agitated. Musicians are busy totting up the micro-pennies, the maybe-dollars, and are upset when these don’t appear to add up to much. On Twitter, others are pointing out that Radiohead actually contributed to the now-prevalent idea that music can cost nothing, by offering their In Rainbows LP as a ‘pay what you want’ download in 2007. Meanwhile, most young music fans are simply trotting off to YouTube or Grooveshark and paying nothing at all to anybody to hear the tracks that they want.

How Spotify works can be hard to get to grips with if you’re of the ‘hear record, like record, buy record’ era. Still, let’s try. When I was 11 years old, I really wanted to buy Blondie’s Parallel Lines. But I didn’t have the money, so I taped it (illegally) off a friend’s copy. (I also photocopied the cover, so I could stare at it). I gave Blondie no money at all for the pleasure of listening to their brilliant LP. My friend who owned the album was bought it by her parents; they paid £5 for it. That money went to the record company, Chrysalis, who paid Blondie a proportion of it – the amount decreed by Blondie’s record deal.

Let’s think about my friend for a minute. She loved Blondie, and she, like me, played Parallel Lines to death. As soon as she got home from school, she went to her room and put it on her record player. And again, and again. Neither she, nor her parents, paid any more for the privilege, because that album was hers.

In parallel

What Spotify does is let someone like my penniless younger self play that album on repeat – legally. And every time I do, for every single track I play, a teeny tiny amount of money goes from Spotify to Chrysalis; and, from there, to Blondie. Occasionally, I have to listen to an advert (in my head, I’m imagining my brother sticking his head into my room and shouting over the track about how great his new sneakers are), but, that’s it. When I get some money, I might pay Spotify a monthly subscription of £10 ($9.99 in the US) for the pleasure of not having my brother yell at me in my personal territory. I will definitely buy Parallel Lines. I did, in real life, when I was old enough to get a Saturday job.

Even if I don’t do either, if I just keep rinsing that album despite my brother’s yelling (and I have played it, on and off, throughout my life), then every time I do, Blondie gets some money. Eventually, that amount will be much more than the £5 my friend paid in the first place. This is what supporters of Spotify hope will happen.

Scraping a living

But let’s go back to something: that record deal. If you’re a musician who is not as popular as Blondie at the time of Parallel Lines, or Thom Yorke now, then you are unlikely to have a fantastic record deal. These days, most major labels will offer a band between 15 and 20% of revenue made on Spotify. (Independents are more likely to offer 50-50 deals). Given that most tracks earn about US 0.5c per stream, you can see why musicians might get upset: the teeny-tiny payments shrink into amounts that can’t be seen by the naked eye. Amounts no-one can live off, let alone pay back the money spent on making an album in the first place. And, anyway, how many albums does anyone play for the whole of their lives?

As downloads (like records, tapes, mini-discs and CDs) become used less and less and streaming takes over, Spotify may well prove the way forward for musicians, alongside other streaming sites, like Rdio and Napster. Spotify’s biggest problem at the moment is that not enough people use it: only four million people subscribe, and 15 million use its free service. There is an argument that what Thom Yorke should do is encourage his fans to sign up to Spotify, and post a few playlists to introduce them to new bands that he likes.

And there is another argument that what powerful artists like Yorke should do is ensure that their record deal is not so skewed towards the labels, thereby setting a precedent that others can follow after him. (Yorke once described old school major label deals as akin to paying off your mortgage and the bank still owning your house).

But I don’t think that this fracas is really about money. Or if it is, then it’s as a by-product. Yorke’s stance is about control. Musicians are creative people, completely wrapped up in and concerned about the art they make, and rightly so. They get upset when their work is badly represented or taken out of context, when a track is appropriated for an advert or a gig is filmed badly by a fan and put up on YouTube. And because control of his art is important to Thom Yorke, so is ownership of that art.

As Radiohead has grown in status and, so, gained in power, many of Yorke’s actions have been about wresting back control: from record companies, advertisers, branding companies, even from fans. Atoms for Peace have just announced that they will be working with Soundhalo, a service that lets fans download and play high quality audio and visuals of gigs as they are played (you pay £9.99 ($15) for a whole set); thereby bypassing the shaky mobile phone coverage issue. Back in 2007, Radiohead chose not to sign a new deal with Parlophone and, instead, brought out In Rainbows as an experimental pay-what-you-want download (money going straight to the band). After that, the band joined XL to release In Rainbows, on a much simpler deal.

What Thom Yorke wants is for his art to have a direct relationship with its fans. The In Rainbows experiment was about a more straightforward arrangement with the band’s audience – and that’s what his Soundhalo venture is about too. The digital age seems to promise this relationship; instead, with Spotify, there are two and three other parties involved. (Oh, did I mention that all the major labels and the big indies have shares in Spotify?) That’s bound to make Thom mad.

Underneath it all, this is what Yorke’s argument with Spotify is about. He wants his work used as he wishes it to be used. He refuses to let it be used to promote something he can’t control, to allow people who have had no hand in making it earn more money than he does from it. And, whether or not Spotify is a good service (and I happen to think that it is), that is his privilege. He made the music, he should decide what is done with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

After only I think Hi Scores having been on Spotify previously, lots more Boards of Canada just got added. One of the last acts I expected to sign on with them.
    9/05 - The Rentals - Fonda (?)
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy
    9/13 - Owen Pallett - El Rey (?)
    9/17 - Buzzcocks - Fonda (?)
    9/20 - Crosby, Stills & Nash - Santa Barbara Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

what happened to the Whats New area of Spotify that showed the new releases that got added to Spotify?
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

It got overloaded with Robin Thicke and Imagine Dragons and can now be found under a tab labeled "Irrelevant."
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    what happened to the Whats New area of Spotify that showed the new releases that got added to Spotify?
    I follow this playlist which posts many of the new releases they add each week. They don't post all new releases however so if there is a new release you are looking for that is not on this playlist, I would still do an individual search (i.e. Special Request's Soul Music for this week).

http://open.spotify.com/user/spotify...5jC6zn6tLoy9yy

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    After only I think Hi Scores having been on Spotify previously, lots more Boards of Canada just got added. One of the last acts I expected to sign on with them.
    Right after they released the repressed vinyl. Coincidence? I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    It turned into Discover which is incredibly unhelpful. I have heard about (for the first time) one show I went to. The music recommendations are a joke. They are even worse for me because I mostly listen to classical/opera and their algorithms just can't handle the fact that there are many important factors for these pieces (performers, composers, styles) and the haphazard way this music is tagged.

Also I find the Pitchfork app reasonably good at covering a lot of new releases. Our 2013 collaborative playlists (see my sig) can also be useful; I also find roberto's similar solo playlist helpful. I also subscribe to a few favorite bands/artists I know have material coming out soon. And outside of Spotify check the Tell Me About 2013 (etc) releases threads.

They finally added all of Boards of Canada's albums. Today is a good day.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

The Spotify PR team working hard to neutralize the negative publicity by promoting the success of Lorde. Whether we will see an increase of "overnight" successes in future years as they predict is to be determined but it isn't unreasonable to think that enough people have now adopted streaming services to help facilitate users to find more Lorde's out there (quality is subjective).

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevenbe...pop-superstar/

What I don't see happening is Spotify using the increased revenue from adverts, subscribers, and favorable label negotiations to pay higher pay-by-play rates to independent artists. It would make the most sense that Spotify will keep most, if not all the increased revenue, to satisfy investors. Emerging artists will have to, as they say in the article, catch lightning in a bottle to get substantially paid from streaming music while other very good to excellent yet non viral artists will have to make it through other revenue streams - the latter I feel most for. I do think the culture how people value music is changing gradually so the exposure and discovery from streaming music which may lead to album purchase, merch, tix, etc. is better then the alternative of trying to gain exposure without.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

This is pretty cool.

http://spoti.fi/1jcLSgn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

It is! I just saw it on the Facebook from a few other users. I have streamed Spotify an average of more than 3.5 hours per day.

Also 90,000 playlists I don't even. I felt like I had a lot and I am only at about 150 of my own and 25 more that I'm following.

I can't log in. All I get is the 100 most played tracks in the US which is the worst.

edit: nevermind I was using Safari. Chrome is much better.

I've seen about six different headlines this morning to the effect of "Led Zeppelin now on Spotify."

I guess this is the new version of "when will the Beatles be on iTunes?"
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

It's only the first two albums so far.
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

the rest are being added this week.

spotify is also improving their free mobile version. i guess you'll be able to shuffle artist discogs instead of it being similar to pandora.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Quote Originally Posted by lt.roast.a.botch View Post
    The Spotify PR team working hard to neutralize the negative publicity by promoting the success of Lorde. Whether we will see an increase of "overnight" successes in future years as they predict is to be determined but it isn't unreasonable to think that enough people have now adopted streaming services to help facilitate users to find more Lorde's out there (quality is subjective).

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevenbe...pop-superstar/
    From the article:

Before New Zealand pop-star Lorde was on every radio station in the U.S. and topping the Billboard Hot 100 list, she was featured on Sean Parker’s Spotify playlist–Hipster International.

The Napster co-founder, former Facebook president, billionaire and early Spotify backer also runs one of the most influential playlists on the Spotify platform with 814,000 subscribers

“I feel like in many ways she’s the antidote to disposable pop music,” Parker tells me. “I feel like it was accessible to the same people who listen to Katy Perry, for instance, but there’s obviously something more authentic and personal to Lorde’s music. I got the sense she represents the return to a singer-songwriter approach to songwriting, and yet she has a knack for writing incredibly infectious melodies.”
    That's horrendous.

If anyone wants a 60-day trial subscription to Spotify Premium, PM me before it expires @ midnight est tonight

9/2 Alt-J @ LPR
    9/3 Sun Araw/Man Forever @ BA
    9/4 DJ Shadow @ Irving Plaza
    9/5 Stacey Pullen/Octave One @ Verboten
    9/6 Evian Christ/Forest Swords @ PS1
    9/6 Seth Troxler @ Output

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Now that it's arrived, what do you guys think about Beats Music?

What does it mean for Spotify?

As a Spotify user, I'm afraid of a situation where both services have A, B, and C; but only Spotify has D, E, and F; and only Beats Music has G, H, and I. I'd hate the idea of having to put $10 here and another $10 there to approach a complete streaming collection (not to mention the songs existing in separate applications). Is Spotify at risk of losing big parts of its content?
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    Now that it's arrived, what do you guys think about Beats Music?

What does it mean for Spotify?

As a Spotify user, I'm afraid of a situation where both services have A, B, and C; but only Spotify has D, E, and F; and only Beats Music has G, H, and I. I'd hate the idea of having to put $10 here and another $10 there to approach a complete streaming collection (not to mention the songs existing in separate applications). Is Spotify at risk of losing big parts of its content?
    Does Beats Music have a desktop application? I didn't see one on their website. That's where I think Spotify has a big advantage. It's free to listen to just about anything if you're on a desktop. That's the deciding factor for me since I use Spotify all the time on my work computer.

Also, Ozzy's Black Sabbath albums are now all on Spotify for those interested.
    Last edited by nathanfairchild; 01-21-2014 at 12:43 PM.
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

I'm actually digging Beats Music quite a bit right now but I'm not sure if I'd want to make a switch right now from Spotify. I've found a few albums from artists like Four Tet, The Avalanches, Thundercat, Rodriguez, Placebo and Editors that you can't find on Spotify and stuff like that alone might convince me to jump. Have any of you come across anything that Spotify has but Beats Music doesn't besides shit like Spotify sessions?

EDIT: After perusing the app a bit, I just realized you can save albums and it stores it in your personal library which can be alphabetized by artist much like... a REAL library on your computer instead of strictly playlists on Spotify. That's huge for me. I might be sold.
    Last edited by TickleMeElmo; 01-21-2014 at 06:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    It's a bit unfair though, when I change an MP3 halfway through a song at a party I get yelled at, whereas Skrillex probably got a blow job.

Lurker

I like that Beats has the potential to benefit artists more than other streaming services, according to this from NBC:

The streaming service is trying to sell itself as the music service built by artists for artists, paying the same rate per stream regardless whether the song is from a major or indie label. (Spotify's rates vary by how many total streams a label's artists have accumulated). That, along with the number of musicians "involved" in the company, could create a more artist-friendly reputation for the service.

Is there a way to browse their catalog without signing up? I mean at some point when I have more time I may sign up for the free 7-day trial to see how it works but their sales pitch is not convincing me. I don't care about their moods or expert curation or sentences.

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    Is there a way to browse their catalog without signing up? I mean at some point when I have more time I may sign up for the free 7-day trial to see how it works but their sales pitch is not convincing me. I don't care about their moods or expert curation or sentences.
    From what I can tell, the expert curation is the sole advantage, otherwise much of what Beats offers is just overlap with Spotify. I only started using it an hour ago though, so maybe I'm speaking out of turn here.

Can now DJ using Spotify tracks with Pacemaker as a free download. Can purchase effects for $10 or $1.99 individually.

http://www.djtechtools.com/2014/02/0...ad-app-review/

Going to use this forum to shamelessly promote the new thing I'm doing on my blog, if nobody minds...

Starting this week, I'm putting together a weekly Spotify playlist called The Weekly Dose, which features about an hour's worth of music. Every Sunday or Monday it will change to a new batch of songs, and the previous week will be archived into a master playlist. The first week's music is up now at http://cuterthanpie.wordpress.com/20...dose-02-17-14/ ... It has mostly indie rock, Coachella bands, with a few flashback songs thrown in each week. I'd appreciate comments and suggestions if you check it out.

You can subscribe to the playlist with Spotify directly at http://open.spotify.com/user/bohnjag...rlJe59rfrZnmu3 and you'll be notified when the songs change. Thanks in advance! Hope you like the music!