Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: “It’s very possible I’ll go back to Blur, it really is very possible”

Default Re: “It’s very possible I’ll go back to Blur, it really is very possible”

I think it's just that woman singing along.. XD

Default Re: “It’s very possible I’ll go back to Blur, it really is very possible”

Sweetness

From the Creators of Gorillaz
    Monkey: Journey to the West
    Previews: July 6–7
    Opening: July 9
    July 6–28

Concept, text, and direction Chen Shi-Zheng
    Composer Damon Albarn
    Visual concept, animation, and costumes Jamie Hewlett
    Conductor Brad Lubman

Be transported into the enchanting, fantastical world of Monkey: Journey to the West in a vibrant musical retelling of the Chinese classic by Damon Albarn and Jamie Hewlett, creators of the wildly popular musical collective Gorillaz. Equal parts epic music theater and stunning animation, this hugely successful production includes a remarkable cast of Chinese acrobats, singers, mind-bending contortionists, martial artists, and transfixing animated displays, all under the inspired direction of Chen Shi-Zheng. This spectacular event, which has performed before sold-out audiences around the world, tells the story of a monk, Tripitaka, who journeys from China to India to find the Buddha and receive the scriptures’ enduring impossible challenges. The irrepressible Monkey King leads the monk and his animal companion protectors, creating havoc along the way. Don’t miss this stunning international retelling of this ancient tale.

Performed in Mandarin with English subtitles.

http://www.lincolncenterfestival.com...-06%2020:00:00

7/22 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Prospect Park
    7/23 Witch @ MHOW
    7/24 Teenage Fanclub @ Pier 84
    7/24 Lauren Ritter @ TBA
    7/25 Nick Cave @ Prospect Park
    7/26 Cell Injection/Black Asteroid @ Output

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

What the fuck is this? It's in New York? Argh.
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

yeah, thanks for posting the location spooks. really helpful.

Yeah I had no idea where the Lincoln Center was.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    What the fuck is this? It's in New York? Argh.
    “Monkey: Journey to the West,” a music and theater mash-up that also includes cartoon segments, martial arts and acrobatics, will open the Lincoln Center Festival this summer and play more performances than any show in its history.

“Monkey,” which had its premiere at the Manchester International Festival in 2007, is conceived and directed by opera and film director Chen Shi-Zheng and features music by Damon Albarn of the band Blur and design and animation by Jamie Hewlett, who collaborates with Mr. Albarn on the “cartoon band” Gorillaz.

Based on a 16th-century Chinese folk tale, the show is about a monk’s fantastical journey, led by the Monkey King, in search of sacred Buddhist scriptures. The 27 performances at the David H. Koch Theater will mark its New York debut; it played the Spoleto USA Festival in 2008.

While the show has played internationally since, Nigel Redden, the Lincoln Center Festival’s director, said he still expected it to be a big draw in New York. “It sold more tickets than any other single event in the 36-year history of Spoleto,” he said on Wednesday. “But it’s never been in New York and to some extent, many artists feel their work has not premiered in the U.S. until it has premiered in New York.”

7/23 Witch @ MHOW
    7/24 Lauren Ritter @ TBA

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

July 6–28

My birthday falls right in the middle of those dates......argh!

So many good trips to take this year!
    Boubakiki>Tom Odell>Flatbush Zombies>GOAT>Austra>MS MR>Jagwar Ma>HAIM>Shlohmo>Bonobo>Woodkid>Bryan Ferry>The Knife>Outkast>
    Syd Arthur>Sander Kleinenberg>Temples>Guy Gerber>Julian Casablancas>Warpaint>Future Islands>Lorde>Pixies>Pharrell>Muse>
    Trombone Shorty>Fishbone>Poolside>Scuba>Rudimental>Blood Orange>ill-Esha>Aluna George>Little Dragon>The Toy Dolls>Lana Del Rey> Beck>Motorhead>Netsky>Arcade Fire

Damon Albarn supposedly confirmed on stage in Hong Kong last night that Blur are recording another album, and that they're spending an off week in the city working on it. I haven't actually heard a clip yet, but I sure would love to believe it.
    Quote Originally Posted by garspaceman View Post
    well hello my fancy pants.

That would be tremendous, if only because I would think that new album = full tour, which means I could check them out in a smaller venue with a full-length show. Coachella was outstanding, but felt like a tease.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Last edited by heart cooks brain; 05-06-2013 at 07:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

www.blurballs.com is the greatest fansite name I've ever heard of.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Good news! Hopefully more dates!

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

I don't think an album means they would tour. they won't need to do such heavy promotion. I think a tour is still completely up to whether they feel like it or not.

More so whether Damon feels it or not
    Last edited by buddy; 05-06-2013 at 05:53 PM.

Best news!

Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
    Sweetness

From the Creators of Gorillaz
    July 6–28

Concept, text, and direction Chen Shi-Zheng
    Composer Damon Albarn
    Visual concept, animation, and costumes Jamie Hewlett
    Conductor Brad Lubman

http://www.lincolncenterfestival.com...-06%2020:00:00
    Are you going to go, Spooks? We just got tickets for July 13.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    We just got tickets for July 13.
    So looking forward to this. After Son Lux' incredible live score for Like Lazarus Did last week I'm always up for a bit of indie-style culture.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    Are you going to go, Spooks? We just got tickets for July 13.
    Yes definitely! But I can't make it on that day since there are two great free shows happening:
    1) So Percussion with Joshua Light Show @ Pace University
    2) Philip Glass Ensemble @ Prospect Park

7/23 Witch @ MHOW
    7/24 Lauren Ritter @ TBA

More dates to be announced!

11/7/13 Pista Atletica - Santiago, Chile

7/23 Witch @ MHOW
    7/24 Lauren Ritter @ TBA

this just popped up on fbook.... re-release?

Last edited by Coachella Bound; 05-21-2013 at 07:49 AM.
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

We need a proper US tour!!!!
    July 29 - Boris
    August 1 - Black Label Society
    August 14 - Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/DEP
    August 27 - Röyksopp & Robyn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 12 - Austin City Limits: Day 3
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Metal Festival
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 23 - Caribou

Holy fuck I want to see them so bad in a smaller venue. I keep dreaming about Damon Albarn.

Someone's finally posted a clip of Damon talking about recording. A "record" could simply be a single, but I'll take whatever I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    We need a proper US tour!!!!
    This. A million times. Coachella was great, but I want to see them in a smaller venue, with 2+ hours of show time.
    Quote Originally Posted by baily View Post
    Eat a dick on that or did I make too much sense for your mind to take

Rolling Stone interview before Blur's Weekend One Coachella set...

Damon Albarn on the Future of Blur, His First Ever Solo Album and Why He Doesn't Hate Oasis Anymore

Damon Albarn is hours away from the first U.S. Blur show in years, but as he kicks back on a hotel patio overlooking a golf course near Coachella, his mind drifts to other things. Like the record he made with Bobby Womack, before the soul legend almost died last year. "He's OK," Albarn says, taking a sip of green tea. "We've actually just confirmed to play Glastonbury – he's got incredible spirit, you know?" Or his spectacular Peking-opera-inspired Monkey: Journey to the West, which is coming to New York's Lincoln Center in July after an acclaimed run in London. "The exciting thing about productions is they change every time," he says. "I'll have the perspective this time to actually see if it's any good." And he's definitely psyched about his first solo record, which he recently wrapped with XL Records boss Richard Russell. "Richard does the rhythmic side, and I do everything else," Albarn says. "It's sort of folk soul."

Albarn plans to hit the road behind the LP, playing songs drawn from his entire career, including Blur and Gorillaz, for the first time. And a new Blur LP, which the band would record between festival gigs in Europe this summer, is a definite possibility. "We've got a couple of occasions when we're stuck in the middle of nowhere," he says. "So we might make the record in a week. If we can, it would be nice."

What drives you to take on all these different projects? There's Blur; Gorillaz; the Good, the Bad and the Queen; two operas; and way more.
    I get bored extremely easily. Blur was definitely my Nineties, Gorillaz was my 2000s, and then I've done a lot of different stuff this decade.

How connected do you feel to songs you wrote, at this point, decades ago?
    I enjoy playing them. A lot of the songs were quite dystopian in their worldview. And a lot of that stuff is much more pressing now than it was then. It seemed like the future then, and now it just seems like every day. So I can kind of get into it.

Is there a song that you think was especially prescient?
    A song like [1995's] "The Universal," which sings about, "This is the next century, where the universal's free . . . satellites in every home . . . "

Blur is one of the biggest bands of all time in England, but the tune the band is best known for in America is "Song 2," which is pretty uncharacteristic. What's it like to have that in your pocket? The reaction to that song must be so intense.
    The "woo-hoo" one, yes. Well, thank god! It really is guaranteed to make the whole place explode. Unfortunately, it's only two minutes.

In some ways Gorillaz are a bigger band in America than Blur.
    Oh much bigger, yeah. It would be nice to play "Clint Eastwood" and "Feel Good Inc." with Blur, but I can't. They won't play them with me! [Laughs] But I've just finished a solo record – when I go tour that, I'll play play stuff from all my different bands.

What's the record like?
    I've been making it with [XL Records chief] Richard Russell. We worked together on the Bobby Womack record, and really enjoy working together. He's done spectacularly well as a music mogul, but I think he wants to focus his energy on producing records. Making a solo record is can be such a disaster, so I thought if we're going to make a record with my name on it, I should get someone to really produce it – take that responsibility away from myself. Richard does the kind of rhythmic side of it and I do everything else.

How is Bobby doing?
    He's not the healthiest of guys, but he's able to do gigs and he's got incredible spirit. He doesn't let anything keep him down too long, you know? As soon as he opens his mouth and that voice comes out, he's just transported. It's such a magnificent voice.

What did you learn from that last huge, spectacular tour you did with Gorillaz in 2010?
    That was the most expensive tour of all time. I had 70 musicians. I toured around the world, played massive venues all around the world. I made about 20 pounds by the end of it [laughs], so I won't be going on another of those. It was incredible fun, I loved doing it, but economically it was an absolute fucking disaster.

Tell me about the opera – the footage I saw online looked incredible.
    It's very eccentric. It's colorful and youthful and fantastic for kids. I mean it's just a brilliant thing for kids. My daughter was inspired enough by it to start learning Mandarin after she watched it. And it's got this wonderful sort of anti-hero monkey who's just so irreverent and almost . . . amoral [laughs]. Kids love a character like that.

What kind of research went into it?
    I had four very interesting journeys across China. Like two weeks at a time. We were taken to some very rural, untouched places far away from the crazy commercial growth aspect of China. Back to places that felt positively medieval. I listened to a lot of traditional music, too. One day I had lunch with a music professor in Beijing and I quite earnestly sat down with him and said, "So what advice can you give me as to how to approach this?" And he took me into this library and there were like 1000 books of Chinese folk music notated and said, "Well, you either do it that way or just . . . do it instinctively." So I went for the latter.

The Stone Roses are also playing tonight. Are they friends?
    We're not friends, but I know them. We Brits always stick together. And all of the animosity of the Nineties is gone. I mean, I was playing "Tender" with Noel [Gallagher] at the Albert Hall two weeks ago, with Paul Weller on the drums. It's all in the past now.

Yay Damon Albarn tour and album!

Damon set at Coachella next year plz

anybody checking out his musical in July @ the Lincoln Center in NYC?

http://lc.lincolncenter.org/shows/20...-06%2020:00:00

Quote Originally Posted by bettycarolyn View Post
    anybody checking out his musical in July @ the Lincoln Center in NYC?

http://lc.lincolncenter.org/shows/20...-06%2020:00:00
    Yes, I'm seeing it with mountmccabe and our two lovely ladies. Very much looking forward to it.

I am jealous, Crispin.