Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Elvis Costello Appreciation Thread

Default The Elvis Costello Appreciation Thread

So about a month ago I put on My Aim Is True for the first time in a while and listened to it all the way through, then again, and probably 4 or 5 times over several days. What a great, overlooked album. His best.

Then I moved on to This Year's Model and then Armed Forces. It had been so long since I'd listened to these closely and it was like discovering them anew. And each time I was into it I was certain that the album I was listening to at the time was his best.

But when I got to Get Happy!! I was totally blown away. I mean I bought this album the day it came out nearly 30 years ago but listening to it again lately I totally got into it. I was thinking, jesus, this album is so brilliant, why have I forgotten that? I must have listened to it ten times. Clearly his best.

Or so I thought til I moved on to Trust. I didn't really 'get' this album when it first came out and have pretty much ignored it since. I mean I liked the songs ("Clubland", "Watch Your Step", "From a Whisper to a Scream") but I don't think I ever appreciated the amazing bit that is "New Lace Sleeves" and so now I think Trust was in fact his best album.

After a few more listens I'm moving on to Imperial Bedroom and not sure if I'll follow him off the cliff with Punch the Clock or into the abyss with Goodbye Cruel World. The fall came steep and hard for Elvis. Or maybe I'll hear them differently this time?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Default Re: The Elvis Costello Appreciation Thread

This Year's Model is one of the best albums of the punk era, hands down. Maybe even the best.

All of you people suck.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Wheels Of Cheese

My Aim is True is overlooked?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

i inherited every single elvis costello album through Mighty Like A Rose on vinyl from my dad when I first bought a record player. they get some heavy usage, particularly Armed Forces and Get Happy.

My dad and I have seen him 4 times together... and I still can't get enough.

Tom, you're not getting your records back.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Also while I am really familiar with the first three and love them crazy amounts I haven't listened that much to the later ones and need to work on that.

At this point I'd say my favorite is This Year's Model. It is top to bottom fantastic.

Missed this thread yesterday. The thing that sets Elvis apart for me is that run he made right out of the gate. The number of artists who have made six classic albums in six years can probably be counted on one hand (which is a figure of speech and not actually a challenge to come up with that list of artists). My Aim Is True through Imperial Bedroom are all just unbelievably great.

It's true that post-Imperial Bedroom his albums have paled in comparison, but I love that every now and then he'll unleash a Blood & Chocolate or a Brutal Youth or a Momufuku that effectively recaptures the energy of his early stuff. I have to say, though, that I can only tolerate his recent genre excursions. But I'm willing to tolerate them because his first albums mean so much to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

Since his newest album is country I vote for EC to be the perfect candidate as the Coachella to Stagecoach crossover artist.

NP: Angry Young Sod (live, 12/05/77) - An 18 song set with lots of fire, featuring songs from My Aim Is True and This Year's Model (which would be released a few months later.)

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

not elvis.

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

Totally agree with Tom on EC,have seen him 7 or 8 times,starting w/ the Punch the Clock tour in '83,always great live.I love some of the slow stuff he's put out over the years also,the stuff w/ Bacharach and the Brodsky Quartet,the song from The Sopranos,the Dead cover song,etc. He's the best white soul singer since,well,Elvis I guess...
    I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. . . . corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    Also while I am really familiar with the first three and love them crazy amounts I haven't listened that much to the later ones and need to work on that.

At this point I'd say my favorite is This Year's Model. It is top to bottom fantastic.
    you should really give the second batch of 3 a new listen. so fucking good.

This has got to rule.

1. "Mystery Dance" – 2:19
    2. "Waiting for the End of the World" – 3:52
    3. "Welcome to the Working Week" – 1:19
    4. "Less Than Zero" – 4:08
    5. "The Beat" – 3:33
    6. "Lip Service" – 2:26
    7. "(I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea" – 3:56
    8. "Little Triggers" – 2:47
    9. "Radio Radio" – 2:33
    10. "Lipstick Vogue" – 4:46
    11. "Watching the Detectives" – 5:48
    12. "Miracle Man/Band Introduction" – 4:07
    13. "You Belong to Me" – 2:32
    14. "Pump It Up" – 4:42

EDIT
    This is a rerelease, I see. Still sounds great.
    Last edited by AlecEiffel; 10-13-2009 at 12:44 PM.

It was 1 of the better bootlegs until it finally got an official release with a boxset.The stuff I like is from that tour he did w/ just Steve Nieve.
    I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. . . . corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.

So I downloaded Live at Hollywood High this weekend and listened to it several times. So damned good. I think I like it better than the El Mocambo set.. it's got more songs, including several from Armed Forces, and it doesn't have that obnoxious audience guy WHOOOOOING throughout. Recommended.

the acoustic b-side of blame it on cain is one of the mother fucking best songs ever made.

i havent gotten around to perusing his entire massive collection yet. i get overwhelmed by such vast discographies. of the newer half what is the most recommended?
    Meow.Meow..Meow...

The older half. lolz.

any of you LA people see him last night?

I've never listened to him. I'm going to get This Year's Model and listen to it this weekend.
    "ain't no thang but a chicken wang"

Atop Zardoz, wagging my pickle everywhere

Honestly, I think Goodbye Cruel World, while really uneven and half-baked in places is still a pretty good record. There's some great songs on there.

Furthermore, King of America is one of the best records made by anyone at any time for any reason.
    "All of you coachella 'regulars' have nasty boy pussies and itchy dick4's on your asses.
    Why don't you all make like a tree and get chopped down and die. You all have been dreadfully mean to me.
    I Hate you. All of you. None of you will ever get to see a womans chest meat or finger blast hott cougies like me.
    Fuck you all. Consider this my resignation.
    Fair the well, you elitest scumbags."

Faxman75, who has clearly had enough

APPROVED......!!!
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Fuzz View Post
    I've never listened to him. I'm going to get This Year's Model and listen to it this weekend.
    1. This Year's Model - a perfect record, equal parts sharp wit and snarl.

2. Get Happy!! - also a perfect record, claustrophobic Stax/Volt soul. Scratch the surface and you will find Elvis' best songwriting.

3. Imperial Bedroom - yet another perfect record. Chamber pop.

4. Armed Forces - a near-perfect rock record that is clever as hell

5. My Aim is True - a country-rock debut (pre-Attractions) in which the songwriting is so damned strong that it overpowers the limitations of the band. Plus it has "Watching the Detectives".

6. Trust - The bridge record between the angry phase and the pop craftsman phase, this record has a lot of very very good songs, though it might feel a little disjointed.

7. King of America - folk-rock. much of it acoustic. "Indoor Fireworks" is genius.

8. Blood and Chocolate - yeah this is pretty good

9. Painted From Memory - his collaboration with Burt Bacharach

10. Punch the Clock - His 7th (real) album and the first one that was not a masterpiece, it still has some very good moments - "Let Them Talk", "Everyday I Write the Book", "Shipbuilding".

11. Almost Blue - an album of classic country covers recorded in Nashville with a classic Nashville hack producer, strings, syrupy background vocals, etc. It's not a serious record but I love it anyway. the cover of "Good Year for the Roses" is amazing.

12. everything else, most of which is not bad but not good. Avoid Mighty Like a Rose and Kojak Variety.

Atop Zardoz, wagging my pickle everywhere

Maybe only for completists, but I genuinely and unironically love The Juliet Letters.
    "All of you coachella 'regulars' have nasty boy pussies and itchy dick4's on your asses.
    Why don't you all make like a tree and get chopped down and die. You all have been dreadfully mean to me.
    I Hate you. All of you. None of you will ever get to see a womans chest meat or finger blast hott cougies like me.
    Fuck you all. Consider this my resignation.
    Fair the well, you elitest scumbags."

Faxman75, who has clearly had enough

Also lately I have been listening to Elvis concert recordings from the 78-83 era and there's this one show, from 81, where he's touring in support of Trust but the set is dominated by Get Happy!! songs that is just fabulous. This one song he starts playing a cover of "I've Been Born Again" (Johnnie Taylor), really rocking it hard, then about a minute in you hear the intro to "King Horse" and it's just fucking amazing. It's a bootleg, the sound quality kinda sucks, and yet you can hear this amazing rock and roll moment just shine through. I've sort of been obsessing on it this week.

Coachella Junkie

Just saw him last weekend. The man's voice is miraculously unaltered by fluctuations in time and space. I may have been the only person under 40 in the entire orchestra pit.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    any of you LA people see him last night?
    I was - it was a fantastic night. Some higlights:

Brought out the Bangles for "Tear off your own head (It's a Doll Revolution)
    Encore #3 medley of Alison/Tracks of My Tears/Tears of a Clown
    Encore #4 (The Angles Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes/Purple Rain/(What's so funny 'bout) Peace, Love & Understanding