Thread: That SelectQuote Life Insurance commercial...

Default That SelectQuote Life Insurance commercial...

I lolz everytime I see this commercial. I'm sure most of you have seen it at least once.

Anyway, this dude from this site best summed up how I feel about it

I had a plan to take a look at Ned McDonald today, but I swear the internet is trying to screw with me because I can’t find any information on Google or even the commercial on Youtube that I know was there a few weeks ago.

You probably don’t know who Ned McDonald is offhand but I can almost guarantee you’ve seen him at some point in the past couple years. He’s the fat old guy working in a diner in a commercial for Select Quote term life insurance. It’s the commercial that starts off something like “Life for Ned McDonald, 49, is his wife Tess, his dog Spike, and his diner” or something along those lines. The whole commercial is a slide show of still shots of Ned in various emotional states as well as people around him. The gist of the storyline is Ned doesn’t bother thinking about life insurance until some relative dies, I think his brother in law, which causes Ned to rethink his stance and apply for some insurance after a chance encounter with a creepy looking diner patron.

I actually have a game I play when friends are around where we’ll insert our own dialog during each still shot, similar to that old game they’d play on the British version of Who’s Line Is It Anyway where they’d do their own lines for old movie scenes. You’ve got the happy-go-lucky shots of Ned in the beginning before his relative dies, then the Thoughtful Ned picture, then the Are You Shitting Me Ned picture, then the Damn I Just Made a Hot Deal Ned picture. Somewhere in the middle you’ve got an insert of this old diner patron that looks like he’s only giving Ned advice because he wants to get close enough to kill him with an ax at some point and sacrifice him to Lucifer in some unholy ritual.

Then there’s Ned’s wife. Now, I’m fairly certain the commercial says Ned is 49 which sounds about right from looking at him. Somewhere between 49-53 maybe. Tess however looks more like Ned’s daughter than Ned’s wife. She can’t be any older than 25. She looks exactly like a girl I used to date who I believe was 21 at the time. Either Ned is quite the pimp among the young ladies or Tess is looking to cash in on his lucrative diner business after he passes on. Maybe Tess is the one trying to talk Ned into life insurance in an attempt to profit from his death. Maybe Tess killed her brother to get Ned interested in the idea.

Tess is probably sleeping with the diner patron actually.
    And some user comments:
    I started googling those SelectQuote commercials, too. I wanted to see if “Ned” was real. He’s actually supposed to be 41! There are many baby-faced people in their 40’s these days. They say 40 is the new 30. This guy’s gotta be closer to 50-he may be older. My 62 year-old dad actually looks younger than Ned. And the wifey? You always see a hot wife w/a fug husband these days, so I’m not going to contest the validity of that part. She looks to be much younger than Ned, though-maybe no older than 37 or 38. “Their young son, Steve”-that kid is not named “Steve”, okay? Logan or Caden or Jaden, maybe. Not “Steve”, which seems more like some 70’s or 80’s kid’s name. Then at the end of the commercial, it shows that ridiculous prom picture. They totally have 70’s hairstyles and clothes. So, that would make them more like my mom’s age. She graduated in 1971. EXPLAIN, SelectQuote!
    I tried to look up “Lindy Lu’s Cafe ” to see if Ned is “real ” . My first thought is - What the hell happened to his face ? He got fugly from his teenage years to 41 . His nose looks like it’s been seriously damaged , he does bare some resemblance to the kid in the photo . The wife does NOT look like the girl in the prom photo . Why is this so intriguing ? I’m no fan of plastic surgery but I’m seriously thinking of taking up a collection so Ned can get his nose fixed . Look at his ” sons ” nose - no way is he the dad . But that’s a whole nother’ story !
    The guy in the photo who is supposed to be his brother in law living in Aspen Colorado in the late 80’s and 90’s. He was a entertainer. I don’t know if this is a stock photo or for real.
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt
    I know it's hard, but try not to turn into GPS. It is just unfortunate for us all.

Default Re: That SelectQuote Life Insurance commercial...

you should make a thread about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

damn straight.
    well, I thought it was funny
    I know it's hard, but try not to turn into GPS. It is just unfortunate for us all.

Young blood

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

i might join secret santa and ask for a Wet Pets t-shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    this makes me laugh EVERY FUCKING TIME.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by bug on your lip View Post
    i might join secret santa and ask for a Wet Pets t-shirt
    Like that's gonna happen, mr paranoid.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

that's true

last people i want knowing my name & addy is you and Tom

maybe i will open a PO Box

I don't get it. I see nothing interesting or odd about this commercial at all, other than it's length. I've never seen it before, maybe I would get bugged on the 50th viewing.

One thing though...I DO hear SelectQuote ads on XM all the time. I don't believe it's a coincidence that the voice over sounds pretty much exactly like the guy on the Allstate commercials. Way to piggyback on a competitor with a bigger budget. The idea is, someone sees the Allstate commercials 99 times. Then they see or hear a SelectQuote commercial, it reminds them of the other 99 times...they say "Yeah, I've been meaning to call"...but they call SelectQuote instead.

Quote Originally Posted by bug on your lip View Post
    They have a store called Wet Pets here, but I don't think they are related. We certainly don't get this great commercial here.

Oddly, I once bought a Chinchilla at OUR Wet Pets. Those are the driest pets in the world. They bathe in dust.

EDIT- I love the way the ad just dead ends.

How is a chinchilla as a pet? I've read that they're the softest animal on Earth. Will they snuggle with you, or do you have to keep it in a cage all the time?
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

You pretty much keep it in a cage, but you could let it roam as long as your house was secure. Ours was scared of the cat, and they cry when they're scared. If you have a girl, they can spray too.

But you can let it run around for a little while, and they will let you cuddle them. It's somewhere between a gerbil and a cat. And they are super crazy soft.

This is still the most unfortunate ad of all time...