Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: I Just Don't Fucking Get It

Default Re: I Just Don't Fucking Get It

Quote Originally Posted by sbessiso View Post
    whoa. Ive never heard animal collective before. But whoa. Intense description
    You should listen to Strawberry Jam and the new EP Water Curses first. I think it would probably be the best for you to start with. Then work your way backwards if it gels with you.

well actually scratch that, souldischarge made a mix for me with some AC on it. I totally forgot. I dont have an opinion on it just quite yet...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sushov23 View Post
    can you please PM this to Luckyface.
    This doesn't pertain to me. I am not shocked at all you don't understand a great band.
    For your health

"For Reverend Green" sums up everything that's great about Animal Collective. The perfectly placed psychedelic influences, the unusual but impeccable pop sense, the sense of overflowing exuberance undercut by melancholy and doubt. It's the perfect Animal Collective song and at least 50% of why I love them. And I do believe I put that song on one of yr mixes Salah. Give it some time and see if it can hook you.

Sbessiso, I have to say I disagree with you on:

Tool
    Muse
    TVOTR

however, I agree Primus just aren't good, and I think I can prove it with math. And other than that one song, Kings of Leon don't do it for me. Same with Decemberists.

Another thing about AC that gets me is their dedication to moving forward. It's really frustrating in some ways, because chances of you hearing your favorite song live are next to none (and even if you do, it won't sound anything like you might expect it to). They are constantly reevaluating what they've done and pushing it forward. It's crazy to hear the bootlegs for "Who Could Win A Rabbit" from this most recent tour... That song isn't even close to the same anymore, but it still manages to capture the same spirit. No other band that I've seen has accomplished this kind of forward momentum so well.

I love the pitchfork.tv interview where they ask Panda Bear if they would ever do a "Don't Look Back" concert and he basically tells them incredulously that it would be impossible. It's not even an option to them, and I really respect that.

Quote Originally Posted by aeroplanee View Post
    also band of horses, who i just find no depth in.
    Another statement I can't follow. I'm biased as I love BoH, but no depth? Huh?

whoa. Ive never heard animal collective before. But whoa. Intense description
    I'm willing to bet you wouldn't like Animal Collective. Maybe I haven't heard the right stuff, but while I appreciate some of the odd ways they manipulate sounds, it's kinda just noise/screeching to me.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyface View Post
    This doesn't pertain to me. I am not shocked at all you don't understand a great band.
    when did I ever say I don't understand them? I just said I'm not into them as much as most people on this board are.

I really wish I liked Animal Collective as much as you do, Jared. For whatever reason, I have never been amazed by anything they have done. I should dl all their stuff and listen to it in order to try and get an idea of the progression you are talking about.

I'm listening to FOR REVEREND GREEN right now.

Quote Originally Posted by JebusLives View Post
    Sbessiso, I have to say I disagree with you on:

Tool
    Muse
    TVOTR

however, I agree Primus just aren't good, and I think I can prove it with math. And other than that one song, Kings of Leon don't do it for me. Same with Decemberists.
    This is so funny

I just hate tool. I hate them. Its not my music. I think its awful shit.
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

Kings of Leon
    MGMT
    Coldpay
    Paul McCartney solo
    Ben Harper
    Jane's Addiction
    Stone Temple Pilots

Man, Primus does not get a lot of love on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    Another thing about AC that gets me is their dedication to moving forward. It's really frustrating in some ways, because chances of you hearing your favorite song live are next to none (and even if you do, it won't sound anything like you might expect it to). They are constantly reevaluating what they've done and pushing it forward. It's crazy to hear the bootlegs for "Who Could Win A Rabbit" from this most recent tour... That song isn't even close to the same anymore, but it still manages to capture the same spirit. No other band that I've seen has accomplished this kind of forward momentum so well.

I love the pitchfork.tv interview where they ask Panda Bear if they would ever do a "Don't Look Back" concert and he basically tells them incredulously that it would be impossible. It's not even an option to them, and I really respect that.
    Your descriptions really make me want to give them a deeper look. I will certainly try to re-evaluate them.
    For your health

Old Ben Harper is really good. Not the bro-rock he is now (hes still not that bad)
    I secretly like coldplay

and primus is really bad

I get why people don't like Primus. But I think they're a lot of fun and bring a lot of creativity, originality, talent and humor to their music. But I do get why people can't get into them.

I've got no problem with Primus. I enjoy Pork Soda and Les is one hell of a bassist.

I thought the AC song was kinda good. I mean im listening to it again, so thats a good sign right?

Les can pay all his bass all he wants, his "singing" is unbearable

Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    MGMT
    Coldplay
    Jane's Addiction
    Stone Temple Pilots
    Wow, I really like each of these bands. Maybe Jane's and STP are nostalgic to me, but MGMT & Coldplay have 2 of the better albums of the year, imo.

They just don't do anything for me. The latter two are rather irritating.

Also, I think every serious music fan should find an almost universally lauded "difficult" album and listen to it until they come to terms with it. Just as an exercise. A really good example would be Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica. You have to train yrself to listen to music with different ears. Most people miss out on some great music just because of how they approach it. A good portion of the best stuff out there takes time and patience and active engagement from the listener to comprehend. If you care about music, stretch yrself now and then. You'll still find stuff you don't like, but you'll always gain something from the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Also, I think every serious music fan should find an almost universally lauded "difficult" album and listen to it until they come to terms with it. Just as an exercise. A really good example would be Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica. You have to train yrself to listen to music with different ears. Most people miss out on some great music just because of how they approach it. A good portion of the best stuff out there takes time and patience and active engagement from the listener to comprehend. If you care about music, stretch yrself now and then. You'll still find stuff you don't like, but you'll always gain something from the experience.
    Well said.

Of all these, Joanna is the only one that I would vehemently argue for. I love many of these bands, but she's something special to me. And, i can also see why people don't like the voice. She reminds me more of a mouse at points than a cat, in that she sounds small and squeaky, and precious.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Nirvana, Guns And Rose and TV on The Radio come to mind right now
    Then I will hold you down and spit her percolations all over you until you're as greasy as the day she regrets pushing your big fat ass out her big fat cunt.

You're right about that, Patrick. When a band or album is significantly praised on here, I try to take the time to try to get into them appropriately. I think I lost a lot of patience with Interpol and TVOTR for these reasons, almost everyone loves them and I've really spent some time with their music, and seen them both live, and still don't get it.

But I'm sure there are many bands about whom I harbor misconceptions that I ought to revisit. Probably starting with Animal Collective, it sounds like.

You know, it took me a really long time to appreciate TVOTR also. I still only like about half of their stuff. But I think they've put out some really fantastic songs. But there are some bands that have taken me over a year or more to really love, so for that reason I never give up on a band I feel might have something to offer me.

Quote Originally Posted by whynotsmile99 View Post
    Guns And Rose
    you're going to feel silly about saying this once chinese democracy comes drops.

Interpol is one of my favorite bands. Remember that

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    it doesn't work like that. you can't just force yourself to listen to stuff. a true music lover will eventually, naturally open his/her ears to new stuff. i know that i am listening stuff today that i would have overlooked in high school.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    Here is all I'll say about borders ... the Los Angeles Angels.

Jared, thanks for the Animal Collective love. I haven't listened to them in a Long time, and it's exactly the sound I've been needing
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Interpol is one of my favorite bands. Remember that
    You and Randy both. Cliff, too. Major reasons why I've tried so hard to "get" them. But I cannot differentiate between almost any of their songs. And their live set was underwhelming at best at Coach '07.