Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: I Just Don't Fucking Get It

Default Re: I Just Don't Fucking Get It

I wasn't being a cheap ass, I just couldn't go. I had a FREE ticket, but I was really sick, and didn't feel like driving from indio to LA that night. You aren't the first person to tell me I need to see them live before I make a judgement on them. I like their music, I just don't get the amazingnessnessness you guys talk about. I will report when I catch them live.

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    I will never understand why people think KoL is worth 15 seconds...
    because you like Jae Reatard or however you spell his fucking name.

Quote Originally Posted by sbessiso View Post
    No, sorry. Absolutely not. My friend loves her, loooves her. OK, cool, never heard of her, run some by me. Totally in the dark, no idea who she is, and wow, are you really gunna tell me she doesnt sound like a screeching cat? C'mon man, you gotta meet me somewhere in or near or in the general area of the middle

what she does on harp is great, thats a given. but then she has to open that fucking trap of hers
    She does shriek sometimes, I'll give you that. But it's a fantastic shriek. Her songwriting is so fucking good too. You should sit down with her lyrics and listen to "Emily" and "Sawdust and Diamonds" one time through... If you don't like it then, then fine.

waaah waah, Im sick, too poor of an excuse...

for the record, Andrew Bird rules, and Joanna Newsom is great. She was solid when she opened for Bjork last year..

I think Mogwai might be one of those bands that you really do have to see to get, Sushov. Unless you're someone who easily enjoys instrumental post-rock music. It took me a while to really love EITS and Mogwai, but I'm glad I came around.

Quote Originally Posted by Sushov23 View Post
    I feel the same fucking way about MOGWAI. Although people tell me I need to see them live before I call them overrated.
    You are such a loser.

I will certainly agree with Kings of Leon. I also would add Beck, Animal Collective, Morrissey/The Smiths, and Neutral Milk Hotel as some of the artists I just don't get (I don't hate them, but I don't understand the commotion) that gets tons of love on the board.
    For your health

Rocke, go with me and Sasha to see animal Collective at the Fonda in January, come on!!

Quote Originally Posted by luckyface View Post
    You are such a loser.

I will certainly agree with Kings of Leon. I also would add Beck, Animal Collective, Morrissey/The Smiths, and Neutral Milk Hotel as some of the artists I just don't get (I don't hate them, but I don't understand the commotion) that gets tons of love on the board.
    Yeah sure man, if it helps makes you feel like less of a loser. you call me a loser for the Mogwai comment, and right after you list AC, Beck, AND NMH? don't comment on me EVER again please after that.

The Smiths is another one. Certainly a good band, but not the anointed gods they are on this message board. Animal Collective, 100% agree. I'm okay with NMH, but I'd be lying if I said his voice didn't bother me.

But seriously... Beck?

My eyes burned a little reading that. Fuckin Beck man
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    Rocke, go with me and Sasha to see animal Collective at the Fonda in January, come on!!
    Do this Rocke. I'll say this again, but Animal Collective is the most important band of this decade.

Yeah sure man, if it helps makes you feel like less of a loser. you call me a loser for the Mogwai comment, and right after you list AC, Beck, AND NMH? don't comment on me EVER again please after that.
    Loser.
    For your health

Quote Originally Posted by JSam67 View Post
    I think Mogwai might be one of those bands that you really do have to see to get, Sushov. Unless you're someone who easily enjoys instrumental post-rock music. It took me a while to really love EITS and Mogwai, but I'm glad I came around.
    I fell in love with EITS the moment I heard the first song, it wasn't the same with Mogwai. I do enjoy Mogwai, but I just don't love the music as much as I do with EITS.

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    I'll have to think about it. I watched about 15 minutes of their Coachella set, and wasn't blown away. Like I said, don't hate them, but just don't get the hype.

The Smiths is another one. Certainly a good band, but not the anointed gods they are on this message board. Animal Collective, 100% agree. I'm okay with NMH, but I'd be lying if I said his voice didn't bother me.

But seriously... Beck?
    I have tried so hard to get into Beck as far back as his Odelay days. I just can't do it for whatever reason. I know he is talented, but I never have desire to listen to him.
    For your health

Do this Rocke. I'll say this again, but Animal Collective is the most important band of this decade.
    don't over do it man, I love AC, but i don't know about most important band. I guess first explain, Why do you say they are the most important band of our decade?

this topic repeats itself every other month. but i'll play along.
    bands i've noticed this board fawning over that i don't get:
    Cold War Kids
    MGMT
    Polyphonic Spree
    Justice

Quote Originally Posted by bleep View Post
    MGMT
    Yeah. Fuck yeah.

I have tried so hard to get into Beck as far back as his Odelay days. I just can't do it for whatever reason. I know he is talented, but I never have desire to listen to him.
    This is reasonable. Its not like you said EFF BECK

Its taken me 6 months, but I really like the MGMT cd. Although I totally understand. I was on the EFF MGMT bandwagon until maybe last week
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

I just don't see it... but I will try to give them a few more chances, just for you.
    For your health

I fell in love with EITS the moment I heard the first song, it wasn't the same with Mogwai. I do enjoy Mogwai, but I just don't love the music as much as I do with EITS.
    Hm, I think the Mogwai track that led me to finally "get it" was off on their EPs, the track's called "Small Children in the Background." If you're interested.
    EITS was quicker for me, primarily from their Coach '07 performance.

Could everyone please stop acting like it's shocking when people don't like the band that you LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVEOMGZZZ as much as you but then get all outraged when someone LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVEZZZOMGZZZ a band you don't like? Just for like, a month? I understand this is the internet and that for the most part people are being facetious, and I some times do it myself, but I'm willing to put in the effort if you are. It's fucking boring. OK all?

I'll say this again, but Animal Collective is the most important band of this decade.
    This statement is mind-boggling to me.

i try and i try and i try

but grizzly bear and final fantasy still can't do too much for me.

and a big fuck yeah to mgmt.

also band of horses, who i just find no depth in.

Hm, I think the Mogwai track that led me to finally "get it" was off on their EPs, the track's called "Small Children in the Background." If you're interested.
    EITS was quicker for me, primarily from their Coach '07 performance.
    Funny, but that album is what got me into Mogwai, as well. Stanley Kubrick and Burn Girl Prom Queen, specifically. I liked EITS more than any post-rock group before getting into Mogwai, but now EITS isn't even in my top 10 post-rock acts.
    For your health

i'm listening to it right now.

Quote Originally Posted by aeroplanee View Post
    also band of horses, who i just find no depth in.
    i agree, even though i'll concede that "the great salt lake" is a spectacular song.

I just don't see it... but I will try to give them a few more chances, just for you.
    In my mind, no band has a better understanding of what makes pop music great and what makes experimental music great at the same time. Their songs (from Here Comes the Indian On) seem to perfectly capture this stuff. And everything before that stands out as incredibly interesting as the foundation.

They reinvent themselves every fucking album, and it's frustrating watching it happen because no human beings should be able to mine that much terrain so quickly and so well. I have a hard time comparing them to any past bands. In my mind they are kind of like the inverse of the Beatles, they began with a really great background in experimental music but seem to be working towards the perfect pop song (their latest EP is the perfect example).

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Could everyone please stop acting like it's shocking when people don't like the band that you LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVEOMGZZZ as much as you but then get all outraged when someone LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVEZZZOMGZZZ a band you don't like? Just for like, a month? I understand this is the internet and that for the most part people are being facetious, and I some times do it myself, but I'm willing to put in the effort if you are. It's fucking boring. OK all?
    can you please PM this to Luckyface.

whoa. Ive never heard animal collective before. But whoa. Intense description

Stanley Kubrick
    This was the one for me.