Thread: The Replacements for 09

Default The Replacements for 09

Has anyone mentioned The Replacements as the big "reunion" band for 2009. Out of any band, this one seems the most logical unless GNR goes on Tour. Oh shit, GNR and Replacements at Coachella. Here is an article from April

With the first phase of a long-awaited reissue campaign beginning this week, the Replacements are back in the spotlight 17 years removed from their breakup. Even more notable: principal members Paul Westerberg and Tommy Stinson aren't ruling out the possibility of a reunion.

Stinson tells Billboard the group has received lucrative offers to perform at Coachella and other major festivals, and that he and Westerberg were close to accepting this year. The group would have been rounded out by session drummer Josh Freese (replacing original drummer Chris Mars, who has retired from music to focus on painting), and an unnamed lead guitarist (replacing Stinson's late half-brother Bob, who died in 1995).

"We actually talked about it again this year, and I think there was a consensus that, you know, maybe it wasn't the right time (to reunite), or maybe it is the right time," Stinson says. "Paul and I were kind of in cahoots talking to them [and] talking to (his manager) Darren (Hill). There were some things thrown out, and there were other festivals that wanted it too, if we were going to do it.

"At the last minute, it just didn't seem like the right thing to do, so we didn't do it. But I think Paul and I have something to offer each other still. I think that's pretty obvious when we get together."

"I'm very hesitant about dragging the name out there and what damage we could do to the legend," Westerberg offers. "Whatever we did, someone would want something else. If I went up there straight, they'd want us wasted. If we were f--ked up, they'd want us to be this or that.

"But, I don't know," he continues. "The records hold the key to the whole thing. So if I was ever going to play, I'd like to play once the whole shooting match is out, because I don't think I could physically get up there and bellow these 18 songs (from) that first record. That's just sheer youth there. I can't find that in a bottle or a pill. I'm just too creaky for that.

The group's first four albums arrive in remastered, expanded form tomorrow (April 22) via Rhino. Reissues of the band's four major-label successors for Sire will follow later this year.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/..._id=1003791810
    Check out Sleeping is Giving in for great mixes and other cool stuff

Default Re: The Replacements for 09

That would be an awesome Reunion. Even if Paul Westerberg did a solo set id be happy.

I'd be all for it, but I'm still not convinced that his hand has healed yet.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

They almost did last year, and I think they'll likely play this year.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/..._id=1003870797

An update on the story from last month, still could very well happen

Banned

the replacements are pretty much a solid lock. but its up to paul t at thsi point..

the only festival that gnr would or could play would be bonnaroo. coachella and lollapalooza cannot afford to take the risk since axl is a nutcase. bonnaroo can go 24/7 so he can be 4 hrs late and still play. its a fit but doubtful and it should not be called gnr. it should called "axl and his fake ass band"

i've been clamoring for them for awhile now and I'm pretty damn sure this is the year.
    The White Stripes 9/18

I'm calling it right now. The Replacements are a lock for Coachella 2009

If this is the major reunion for '09, it's certainly not going to boost any ticket sales.

By which I mean, I'm guessing that people who badly want to see a Replacements reunion are probably already attending Coachella.

Quote Originally Posted by JSam67 View Post
    If this is the major reunion for '09, it's certainly not going to boost any ticket sales.

By which I mean, I'm guessing that people who badly want to see a Replacements reunion are probably already attending Coachella.
    I mean, it's no Smiths or Talking Heads reunion, but it'd be a pretty major one, and there are lots of 'Mats fans who would come out of the woodwork to support these guys if it happened. They'd play as a subheadliner one evening and I'm sure it'd be spectacular. Can you name 5 Coachella-worthy reunions that would be bigger than this? Beyond the two I've already mentioned, Roxy Music is the only other one I can think of, Pavement is right along the same lines.

Quote Originally Posted by starrdogg View Post
    I mean, it's no Smiths or Talking Heads reunion, but it'd be a pretty major one, and there are lots of 'Mats fans who would come out of the woodwork to support these guys if it happened. They'd play as a subheadliner one evening and I'm sure it'd be spectacular. Can you name 5 Coachella-worthy reunions that would be bigger than this? Beyond the two I've already mentioned, Roxy Music is the only other one I can think of, Pavement is right along the same lines.
    they'd get the JAMC slot in 2007.
    The White Stripes 9/18

Agreed, and I think a pretty strong case could be made that this would be bigger than JAMC.

It's on the same level as JAMC. I don't know, not terribly exciting to me.

Bigger/better reunions:
    Obviously Smiths and Talking Heads
    Pavement
    original Smashing Pumpkins
    Soundgarden
    Jane's Addiction (basically already reunited, but still)
    probably Faith No More
    The Stone Roses
    Pulp

My own personal opinion would rank those:

1) The Smiths
    2) Talking Heads
    3) Stone Roses
    4) Pulp
    5) The Replacements
    6) Faith No More
    7) Pavement
    8) Original Smashing Pumpkins (saw the quasi-Pumpkins last year, was unimpressed, not sure how much Iha and D'Arcy would really add)
    9) Jane's Addiction (saw them reunited already in 2003)
    10) Soundgarden (just don't really care)

*I'd also pencil Neutral Milk Hotel in there at #6
    Last edited by starrdogg; 11-05-2008 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JSam67 View Post
    It's on the same level as JAMC. I don't know, not terribly exciting to me.

Bigger/better reunions:
    Talking Heads
    original Smashing Pumpkins
    I have an erection.

To bad it's an erection pack full of desperate wishes and hopes.

Biggest reunion ever would be The original GNR or The Smiths. Both which will never happen at all whatsoever except maybe for a Rock N ROll Hall of Fame celebration.

I originally posted this in the "Your Favorite Band/Dream Setlist" Thread. I think it would be a nice fit for Coachella.

the Replacements

1. Talent Show
    2. Shiftless When Idle
    3. Kiss Me On the Bus
    4. Alex Chilton
    5. Can't Hardly Wait
    6. Skyway
    7. Achin' to Be
    8. I Will Dare
    9. Here Comes a Regular
    10. Sixteen Blue
    11. Androgynous
    12. We're Comin' Out
    13. I'll Be You
    14. Takin' a Ride
    15. Fuck School
    16. Bastards of Young
    17. IOU

prepare to unlock your "locks for 09" regarding a 'Mats reunion.

When head (ex-)Replacement Paul Westerberg found out that country star Glen Campbell covered the Minnesota band's "Sadly Beautiful" on August's Meet Glen Campbell, he called his manager. "'Tell Glen I'll be his next Jimmy Webb,'" Westerberg said, according to The Guardian. Webb, who penned hits like "Up, Up, and Away" and "By the Time I Get to Phoenix" for Campbell, now performs his own songs and recently released live record Live and at Large.

And while Westerberg, whose most recent release was this year's 49:00, is prepared to songwrite for Campbell's upcoming album, he and former bandmate Tommy Stinson still aren't ready for a Replacements reunion tour. Said Westerberg, "Certainly Tommy and I could go around as the Replacements and draw 10 times more and make some money... But I'm not there yet, I gotta say."

Paul Westerberg had a problem with his hand and couldnt play for a year which is why they didnt do Coachella. they are going to play this year, I can smll it. One of the Greatest Rock Bands of all time.

Would be awesome but really as far as reunions go, it's never going to be the Replacements without Mars and Bob. I'd settle for Slim but he seems to be completely out of the picture.

And if you're going to get the Mats together, you've really got to bring Husker Du back to. Should have done it last year and had Prince open for them and made it a Minneapolis trifecta.

Quote Originally Posted by hannibul View Post
    I can smll it.
    Oops I crapped my pants