Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Kinks Reunion 09/Coachella?

Banned

Default The Kinks Reunion 09/Coachella?

Kinks Talk Touring
    Wednesday, Nov 5, 2008 3:21PM
    The Kinks haven't toured or performed together since 1996 but, according to at least one of the battling Davies brothers, the legendary band is collaborating on new songs in preparation of a possible summer reunion trek.
    "We've started a little bit of this and that," Ray Davies told BBC News. "It depends if there's good music. We want good new music. I'd like to do it as a more collaborative thing than we used to do."
    Ray Davies said in September that a reunion would depend on the health of bandmate and brother Dave, who suffered a stroke in 2004. He said his brother is doing well.
    If the reunion pans out, and to some observers it would be akin to hell freezing over, it will have to be scheduled around Ray Davies' solo U.S. tour, which has dates on the books through December.
    He is also hard at work on his upcoming album and hopes to get the chance to duet with artists like Razorlight frontman Johnny Borrell and Snow Patrol. "I don't just want to do usual suspects," he said, according to BBC News. "I'd love to do something with Johnny, but I'd like to find new bands. Unsigned even. I usually like the underdogs."
    He also has a soft spot for Chuck Berry.
    "I've never met the man but he was one of my heroes as a lyricist," Davies said. We'll see how it works out - a mixture of Snow Patrol and Chuck Berry. It should be an interesting record."
    This sounds pretty interesting-Coachella Maybe?

Default Re: The Kinks Reunion 09/Coachella?

Wasn't this reunion rumored to happen this summer, just like Jackson 5? I'm down with this, but I'm not holding my breath.
    7/26 Au Revoir Simone @ The Roxy, 8/1 Arcade Fire, the Unicorns, Dan Deacon at the Forum, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go, @ Observatory, 8/9 Warpaint @ Observatory, 8/10 Warpaint @ The Ace, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/11 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Chvrches @ Palladium, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Why would The Kinks reunion hit Coachella?
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    Why would The Kinks reunion hit Coachella?
    because THE KINKS fucking rule! they influenced many of the artist that play Coachella.

I'm all for a kinks appearance at 09. Their songs were some of the best on the darjeeling limited soundtrack. It just made me listen to them more.
    "Strange things are afoot at the Circle K"

2013 = 12 Coachellas

do it do it do it do it do it do it do it now! say it say it say it say it say it say it say it now!

Quote Originally Posted by wstsidela View Post
    I should smack you in the head but I draw the line at gay bashing.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    use some common sense you asshats

I'd be SO down.

The Kinks are GODLY.

Too bad the Kinks probably suck ass in concert at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    I doubt that but either way I would take a chance.

I like The Kinks, but they're just too old. Jesus, the rumors in these threads lately are comprised of the likes of the following:

The Kinks
    Paul Simon
    Bruce Springsteen

Wow, I hope Waters hasn't set the table for DinosaurChella.

Bruce S. is worthy of a panty toss
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

I'd love it, that'd be fucking incredible

Quote Originally Posted by JSam67 View Post
    I like The Kinks, but they're just too old. Jesus, the rumors in these threads lately are comprised of the likes of the following:

The Kinks
    Paul Simon
    Bruce Springsteen

Wow, I hope Waters hasn't set the table for DinosaurChella.
    The Kinks are way more in tune with Coachella and shouldn't be compared with Paul Simon or Bruce Springsteen. The Kinks are fucking top. Original Brit Pop/Punk!

They were amazing. But I just can't imagine their performance living up to my expectations. I would still give them a shot, of course.

Springsteen is 59. Paul Simon is 67. Ray Davies is 64.

I love The Kinks. I really do. But seriously, too old. It will just be heartbreaking.

Bruce is 59?? He's a good looking 59, I must say
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Springsteen is 59. Paul Simon is 67. Ray Davies is 64.

I love The Kinks. I really do. But seriously, too old. It will just be heartbreaking.
    well the fucking Talking Heads are all pushing 60 does that mean you don't want them?

Byrne is 56 and from the clips I've seen from this year's tour, can definitely still bring it. And I'm a little sketchy on how well Bowie can bring it too, for the record...

Waters changed my whole perspective on the issue of age pertaining to headliners. Do you really think The Kinks, in 2009, would sound anything like the glorious Kinks that we remember from like 40 years ago?

Byrne is 56 and from the clips I've seen from this year's tour, can definitely still bring it. And I'm a little sketchy on how well Bowie can bring it too, for the record...

Waters changed my whole perspective on the issue of age pertaining to headliners. Do you really think The Kinks, in 2009, would sound anything like the glorious Kinks that we remember from like 40 years ago?
    Did Waters disappoint you?

Honestly no but I do think the Kinks are capable of playing a great set. The thing about the Kinks is their music still holds up brilliant. I mean their records from the 80s were getting played on punk/new wave stations back then. Not bad for a band from the 60's.

Bowie needs to get on with it if he still wants to do it. I also agree Talking Heads could still bring it on but it wouldn't be like it was 30 yrs ago.

The Kinks would be a good add. One of those bands that justifies the old saying "ahead of their time."
    05-12.2

Their records and their live performance are totally different things. But they do have an amazing catalog. So we would probably get nothing but amazing songs.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzz View Post
    Did Waters disappoint you?

Honestly no but I do think the Kinks are capable of playing a great set. The thing about the Kinks is their music still holds up brilliant. I mean their records from the 80s were getting played on punk/new wave stations back then. Not bad for a band from the 60's.

Bowie needs to get on with it if he still wants to do it. I also agree Talking Heads could still bring it on but it wouldn't be like it was 30 yrs ago.
    The Kinks would definitely have a great set, that's for sure. But I doubt the delivery would do much for me other than go, "Damn, it would've been great to see them 30, even just 10-20 years ago."

Waters thoroughly disappointed me. Sure, there was a ton of cool stuff going on visually. But from where I was (closer than the sound stage), I wasn't getting flooded with the surround sound. I could hear Waters and his ragtag clown band. And Waters sounded like someone in his mid-60s, couldn't hit a single note.

So, now I have great fear about old, classic artists. But my faith in Bowie will only last this year and maybe next before I give up on him, too. Byrne has some time still, but if there's ever gonna be a THeads reunion, the sooner the better.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

I would just want to hear Waterloo Sunset and leave...I doubt the these oldies can rtock anymore considering how long they have been off the radar..anything that depends on the health of someone because of their age can't be a good thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Saw Ray Davies, summer 2006 in Detroit. Absolutely fucking awesome show. I have zero doubt that he'd bring the house down if the Kinks accepted an invitation to Coachella.

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    couldn't be worse than the happy mondays...or could it??
    "Strange things are afoot at the Circle K"

2013 = 12 Coachellas

do it do it do it do it do it do it do it now! say it say it say it say it say it say it say it now!

Quote Originally Posted by wstsidela View Post
    I should smack you in the head but I draw the line at gay bashing.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    use some common sense you asshats

i remember i brought this up last year when rumors hit the net about a reunion, but this would definitely be remarkable if it happened at Coachella. The Kinks fuckin' rule!
    je suis un extraterrestre

I cannot believe Bruce is only 59...Uncle Neil is 62 and looks about 20 years older than him...

Age discrimination is a cunty thing.

Bring on the Kinks!
    7/26 Au Revoir Simone @ The Roxy, 8/1 Arcade Fire, the Unicorns, Dan Deacon at the Forum, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go, @ Observatory, 8/9 Warpaint @ Observatory, 8/10 Warpaint @ The Ace, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/11 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Chvrches @ Palladium, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

i'd love me some kinks <3
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

I saw The Kinks back in the '80's and was kinda disappointed that they mostly played the new stuff (at the time it was State Of Confusion).I think at this point Ray Davies solo at the Outdoor Stage at sunset playing "Waterloo Sunset" and stuff off "Village Green" and "Arthur" would be more to my liking...
    Quote Originally Posted by God
    Do you want to continue talking about Lizards?

Quote Originally Posted by breakjaw View Post
    I saw The Kinks back in the '80's and was kinda disappointed that they mostly played the new stuff (at the time it was State Of Confusion).I think at this point Ray Davies solo at the Outdoor Stage at sunset playing "Waterloo Sunset" and stuff off "Village Green" and "Arthur" would be more to my liking...
    "GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT"