Deerhunter has been riding the crest of a massive wave of hype for some time now and itlooks like it won't be slowing down anytime soon now that their new album got the Pitchfork seal of approval. A general trend that I've seen for some time is as far as the "rising indie band" contingent of Coachella goes if you find one with a high amount of praise on Pitchfork's site then they have a better than average chance of showing. I realize that this is not always the case by any means however a lot of people I've seen get touted on that site show up seemingly by default. On this shaky theory I believe Deerhunter, No Age, and TV on the Radio are shoe-ins simply on the fact that they have become hot-shit for 2008 albums not only in Pitchfork's case but across many review boards (and in TV on the Radio's case pretty much every fucking music publication). It may be presumptuous however if I see a band get the little Best New Music tag on Pitchfork I begin to see the band as having a pretty high possibility. Granted this can't be said for past headliners in most cases however I just take a gander at the music "I should be listening to" this year and assume they'll at least be a somewhat reliable guess. Full disclosure too: I think the new Deerhunter album is really good so their appearance would also make me happy. More full disclosure: My friend took me to Nine Inch Nails in Oakland for lack of someone to go with and I had the nice surprise of seeing Deerhunter open for them. Someone threw a beer at the lead singer and it was funny. sad but funny...?