Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Death Cab for Cutie Thread

Default The Death Cab for Cutie Thread

Seeing them do their acoustic set at the Bridge School Benefit show reinvigorated my interest in the band. An interest that had waned since the release of Narrow Stairs (which, while not as bad as I initially thought, is still a fairly mediocre record) and even more so upon hearing stories of Ben and co.'s douche-tude in terms of dealing with their fans.

So... Who's going to see them on their current tour with Neil Young?
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Default Re: The Death Cab for Cutie Thread

Last two albums were mediocre and wasn't impressed with their Coachella performance this year, so probably not. I would like to see Neil Young someday, though, just not at the Forum.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Plans is amazing. Narrow Stairs... Not so much. How bad is the Forum as a venue?

Also, I'm going to link to Brandon's young'uns review despite the fact I disagree with it (mainly because it's a good launch point) : http://www.coachella.com/forum/showp...&postcount=672
    Upcoming Shows:

Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

this thread is gonna be hated on sooooo bad but saw them at Bridge two years ago, OAT this year (which had THE WORST crowd i've ever seen in my life) and as we talked about in the other thread seeing them with Uncle Neil this wednesday...can't wait

Please. I virtually expect anything I say on here to bring on the haters.

My favorite DCfC show, of the 4 times I've seen them, has to be the Embarcadero Marina show from... 2005? I think. Either 05 or 06. With Spoon and Mates of State opening and being, like, 4 rows back of Ben and company. Fucking awesome show.

Your favorite DCfC show?
    Upcoming Shows:

Seeing them at Coachella 2008 disinterested me from them.

meh. there's no need for me to post here, but you asked for it:

FUCK death cab for cutie.
    i'll admit, I Will Posses Your Heart is catchy, but everything else is awful. i mean, shitty.
    it makes me sick to know the Decemberists have opened for them in the past.

have i ever mentioned that, at one point, i thought Hey There Delilah was a decent dcfc song?
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    Here is all I'll say about borders ... the Los Angeles Angels.

Yeah. That was their worst live performance and totally turned me off their music until tonight.
    Upcoming Shows:

Quote Originally Posted by PassiveTheory View Post

My favorite DCfC show, of the 4 times I've seen them, has to be the Embarcadero Marina show from... 2005? I think. Either 05 or 06. With Spoon and Mates of State opening and being, like, 4 rows back of Ben and company. Fucking awesome show.

Your favorite DCfC show?
    aw man yeah that show was '06 the summer after i graduated i went to a padres game and we left early and were about to go see Death Cab but i wasn't that big of a fan yet and was broke...dumbass decision of me...

anyways the OAT show was the only full set i've seen from them but Day 2 of Bridge School was fucking awesome...

I have tried really hard to get into this band. But they do nothing for me. They are pleasant, but the only song that has ever stuck with me is "I Will Possess Your Heart." I even tried seeing them live.

Dude. Wow. That's hilarious. Here's why:

We all know by now that DCfC is known for pretty much half-retarded on-stage banter (they're at their best when they STFU between songs). Well, during that 06' show, towards the end, Chris Walla spoke and said we ought to cheer for the Padres.

Yes, he basically made us cheer for the Padres during the end of their show. It was awkward and all kinds of hilarious as everyone either shrugged or cheered half-heartedly.

Only then did they finish their set.
    Upcoming Shows:

Hippie

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    I have tried really hard to get into this band. But they do nothing for me. I even tried seeing them live.
    Same with me. I gave them an honest chance but they're just not for me.

I saw them at Lolla '05, and they were actually very very good. mostly because the set was all Trans or earlier, and they ended the entire festival for me with Transatlanticism > Tiny Vessels. Under other circumstances, they have pretty much blown.

Your favorite DCfC show?
    where you at the second show or the first one 11th or 12th of august. i only remember the date cause i have a poster on the wall. If you were at the second one I was probably standing pretty close to you. and I looked for you today at bridge but I couldnt find you. I enjoyed dcfc performance today and will be catching them at nssn for my fourth time seeing them.
    Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    Make up rumors of who's playing > keep track of who's confirmed > whine about where the lineup is > lineup announced! > bitch about how the lineup sucks > whine about what bands will be added > bands finally added! > whine about where set times are > set times finally announced! > bitch about how set times suck > goto show > come back and say Coachella was best ever! > start rumors for next year

Were you wearing an orange beanie? Because you walked right by me but when I got up to look for you, you were already gone. I was lying down with 3 other people on the fat left side of the lawn section.
    Upcoming Shows:

Were you wearing an orange beanie? Because you walked right by me but when I got up to look for you, you were already gone. I was lying down with 3 other people on the fat left side of the lawn section.
    lol ya I was. damn i kept looking for you too. you should have hollered something at me.
    Make up rumors of who's playing > keep track of who's confirmed > whine about where the lineup is > lineup announced! > bitch about how the lineup sucks > whine about what bands will be added > bands finally added! > whine about where set times are > set times finally announced! > bitch about how set times suck > goto show > come back and say Coachella was best ever! > start rumors for next year

Embarrassingly enough, I couldn't remember your name... Ugh. @__@
    Upcoming Shows:

LoL im sure if you just yelled brokendoll or coachella or something i would have turned around. but my name is mark if that situation ever happens again

I can't escape these fuckers. They were at EVERY FUCKING MUSIC FESTIVAL I WENT TO THIS SUMMER. Thats right. They were at Coachella, Sasquatch, Pemberton and Bumbershoot. I caught the full set at Sasquatch before the Cure... and blah. They had maybe one or two songs I thought were catchy. Other than that, they were whiney and boring and blah. They really should shut up between songs too. Ben Gibbard was saying the most retarded shit. Yeah. Not my thing. The fact they were EVERYWHERE I went this summer didn't help either.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Hippie

Michael Franti always follows me around like that. I can't avoid him. It's really annoying.

I would take Michael Franti over Death Cab ANY day.
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Hippie

I don't like being forced to see either. The other thing that makes it so annoying is that Franti is for some reason the only non-headliner that seems to always play unopposed, to a silent festival. At least with DCFC you have the option to go see someone else at that time.

The only reason I saw Death Cab at Sasquatch was cuz I wanted a good spot for The Cure.

Also, as a random coincidence, Micheal Franti actually played right before Death Cab at Sasquatch.

Hippie

That's not random, those two bands (as well as Jack Johnson) are EVERYWHERE.

Seeing them at Coachella 2008 disinterested me from them.
    QFT!

I very nearly died during their set this year. Narrow Stairs has grown on me, only because we play the album at work every damn day. There are a handful of golden tracks on there but a fair share of godawful too.

I used to love them back in 06, I shouldve seen them then. I've kinda grown out of it
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Backwater View Post
    That's not random, those two bands (as well as Jack Johnson) are EVERYWHERE.
    now that you bring up jack johnson. I avoided him at both coachella and outsidelands. today i decided to stay and check him out. and honestly I enjoyed his set alot. alot more then the smashing pumpkins, thats for sure.

death cab for sucky

thank you. 100% original
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Hippie

Quote Originally Posted by mvanwinkle View Post
    alot more then the smashing pumpkins, thats for sure.
    Well that's not saying anything really. JJ's music is fine for what it is, laid back bro chill music.

I wish I didn't leave my spot up front during St. Vincent for them.

Quote Originally Posted by mvanwinkle View Post
    now that you bring up jack johnson. I avoided him at both coachella and outsidelands. today i decided to stay and check him out. and honestly I enjoyed his set alot. alot more then the smashing pumpkins, thats for sure.
    Jack Johnson is chill, I felt the same way. I really enjoyed Jack Johnson, I was with my girl(at the time), I was coming off my high, and the music was just really good. This coming from a one time shit talker like every one else on this board. Let me ask these questions to everyone who reads this post, have you ever listened to JJ? have you ever seen him live? then why all the shit talking?