Page 129 of 140 FirstFirst ... 124125126127128129130131132133134 ... LastLast
Results 3,841 to 3,870 of 4196

Thread: The San Francisco Thread

Default Re: The San Francisco Thread

Geezus Christ, does Danielle Steel really think anyone cares what she thinks? "Dressing up" does not in itself imply any sense of style at all. I love that SF is so open. Admittedly, I used to be a much nicer dresser before I moved here, but that's just because I've let myself get lazy since there are rarely dress codes here.

Are people still planning on camping in Big Sur over the course of 4th of July Weekend? Our schedule has opened up and camping in Big Sur sounds like fun.
    9/22 Tove Lo @ the Fillmore
    9/27 Simian Mobile Disco @ The Mezzanine
    10/5 The War On Drugs @ The Fillmore
    10/21 Jessie Ware @ The Chapel
    10/24 Little Dragon @ the Fox Theatre
    10/24 Rfs Du Sol @ The Mezzanine
    10/29 PHISH @ Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    10/31 AlunaGeorge @ 1015 (?)
    11/29 London Grammar @ the Fox Theatre

I'm not camping, but will be in Big Sur for part of the weekend (and then at the Blonde Redhead show on Sunday night). Though that Metro Area show on the 2nd has me second guessing myself!

When it comes to looking for a place in SF, how far in advance do places start posting? I'm looking for an August movie-in, but so far have yielded very few results for that time frame. Is it simply going to be this difficult, or am I looking too soon for August? I don't care where in the city, and I figure I will have the best chance in the Sunset/Richmond area.

I already posted about this, but I'm looking for a 2br (hopefully in the 1700 or under range but I can probably make up to 2000 work).

You're looking too early. Places listed are generally on the market for the next month, or sometimes even immediate move-in. The only time I've found an apartment that a landlord was willing to hold for more than a month was when the place was being remodeled in the interim.

Quote Originally Posted by skyismad View Post
    When it comes to looking for a place in SF, how far in advance do places start posting? I'm looking for an August movie-in, but so far have yielded very few results for that time frame. Is it simply going to be this difficult, or am I looking too soon for August? I don't care where in the city, and I figure I will have the best chance in the Sunset/Richmond area.

I already posted about this, but I'm looking for a 2br (hopefully in the 1700 or under range but I can probably make up to 2000 work).
    You're looking way to early. I was looking in late Feb for an April move in and that was too early. You can start looking a couple of weeks before you can move, but a lot of places are immediate move-in. If you can move in immediately, you have a better shot of getting in your place.

Also, when I was looking I added a craigslist finder app on my phone so I could contact the listings immediately. It worked out good and I got a great place in my price range.

Your price range is probably going to be Sunset or Richmond areas, but if you look around you might be able to find a deal in other neighborhoods. If you go up to $2,000 you will have a lot more flexibility with your location.

Good luck.

A small group of us are going to be at Zeitgeist after 8 or 8:30 tonight. If anyone feels like saying hi and having a few drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezrRckr View Post
    These two fucking geezers....sheesh.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    Geezus Christ, does Danielle Steel really think anyone cares what she thinks? "Dressing up" does not in itself imply any sense of style at all. I love that SF is so open. Admittedly, I used to be a much nicer dresser before I moved here, but that's just because I've let myself get lazy since there are rarely dress codes here.
    Shes right. Not that her opinion matters much though. I don't think she understands that people in SF are trying very hard to appear as if they don't care how they look.

I don't know, man. Most people I know put next to no effort into their appearance, outside of the very occasional "dress up" event.

I guarantee that the people Kelly are pointing to and the ones her highness are talking about are not one in the same. Like those two hang out in the same circles...ha.

Of course not. But I also wonder who the heck Kelly is hanging out with if he thinks people in Sf in general put that much effort into looking sloppy. We're just sloppy, Kelly. :P

Gosh darn it Chia. It's a generalization. That means it's true for 100% of the people 100% of the time.

I know it was a generalization. I just don't see enough people who look that way for it to be even generally true. So I wonder where you hang out when you're in SF.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

next time Kelly is in town I'm going to try EXTRA hard to look like I don't care how I look.

Quote Originally Posted by fikus222 View Post
    Are people still planning on camping in Big Sur over the course of 4th of July Weekend? Our schedule has opened up and camping in Big Sur sounds like fun.
    I'm camping the weekend before and didn't want to do it two weekends in a row so I have a motel room. let me know if you are still considering!

I don't know, man. Most people I know put next to no effort into their appearance, outside of the very occasional "dress up" event.
    i only dress up for elite events
    1L☮e.

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    next time Kelly is in town I'm going to try EXTRA hard to look like I don't care how I look.
    This was kind of the point. It isn't necessary to try to look like you don't care how you look. Fucking irony how does it work? Perhaps I'm just not very good at it.

I'm pretty sure I don't get invited to "elite events." I have been trying lately to not wear t-shirts every day, but I have a feeling that comes off more as 'awkward' than 'polished.'

One big hurdle down, one to go (empahasis by me...this is very encouraging!).

Quote Originally Posted by SFGate
    Shark fin ban passes Assembly

(05-23) 16:19 PDT Sacramento -- The California Assembly overwhelmingly approved a ban on the sale and distribution of shark fins in California, moving the state one step closer to outlawing an ancient Chinese delicacy and keeping alive a debate that has split the ethnic community.

The lower house approved the bill, AB376, on a 62-8 vote Monday afternoon after a long floor debate. If the measure is approved by the state Senate, shark fin soup - a popular tradition at Chinese celebrations including weddings - would be illegal in the Golden State beginning Jan. 1, 2013.

The law takes aim at a practice known as finning, in which a shark's fins and tails are cut off before the animal is thrown back into the ocean to die. Supporters say that businesses in California have skirted a U.S. law banning the practice by buying fins collected in international waters and noted the catastrophic collapse in the worldwide shark population in recent years.

"I knew when I accepted the responsibility (of authoring this bill) - I weighed the cultural implications versus the environmental concerns, and the environmental issues outweighed the cultural," said Assemblyman Paul Fong, D-Cupertino, who cited the sharks' position as a top predator.

"This is like a house of cards. Once we lose the top predator, we will watch the rest of the ocean collapse."

Opponents - including San Francisco Assemblywoman Fiona Ma - argue that the measure unfairly targets the Chinese community and say that existing laws are adequately protecting sharks. Assemblyman Mike Eng, D-Monterey Park (Los Angeles County), noted that California issues permits that allow fishermen to legally kill thousands of sharks each year.

"If sharks are an endangered species and are being imported illegally from abroad, why not start in California and ban the taking of sharks in California?" he said. "This unfairly targets one community, a community I represent ... and that brings into question the issue of fairness."

The measure is being pushed by environmental, animal rights and conservation groups, organizations that, combined, have contributed more than $186,000 to Assembly lawmakers the past two years, according to information compiled by the nonprofit Maplight.org.

Opponents - including several Asian food and restaurant associations - have given about $101,000 to Assembly members in recent years, the nonprofit found.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz1NI9xO8pI

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Jesus fucking christ every time I hear the "unfairly targets the chinese community" I want to fucking punch everyone who even knows someone who thinks that makes sense.

There are NOT already laws protecting sharks, as it's already been demonstrated that the shark fins for sale here come in from other places where our laws DON"T FUCKING APPLY. Our only control is over demand.

If jewish people had a taste for california condor feathers, would a law against the sale of condor feathers be unfairly targeting jewish people?

Fucking morons.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    If jewish people had a taste for california condor feathers, would a law against the sale of condor feathers be unfairly targeting jewish people?
    Uh.....yeah. Duh. They are Jewish. Everything unfairly targets Jewish people.

Just found out that my co-worker went missing on Friday. This sucks, she's such a great person.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...a155116D05.DTL

Its a long shot but just in case anyone's seen or heard anything.

August 19-21, I will be there to visit. MARK YOUR CALENDARS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    PLURcenta

No.

I would not like to see you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    PLURcenta

Don't worry, he doesn't socialize with board people anyway.

Don't worry, he doesn't socialize with board people anyway.
    I hope you feel this, weekly. FEEL IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Ron View Post
    Just found out that my co-worker went missing on Friday. This sucks, she's such a great person.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...a155116D05.DTL

Its a long shot but just in case anyone's seen or heard anything.
    Damn, I hope they find her unharmed.
    9/22 Tove Lo @ the Fillmore
    9/27 Simian Mobile Disco @ The Mezzanine
    10/5 The War On Drugs @ The Fillmore
    10/21 Jessie Ware @ The Chapel
    10/24 Little Dragon @ the Fox Theatre
    10/24 Rfs Du Sol @ The Mezzanine
    10/29 PHISH @ Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    10/31 AlunaGeorge @ 1015 (?)
    11/29 London Grammar @ the Fox Theatre

I haven't had the opportunity to socialize with anyone so I don't really care if you guys think I'm ditching or anything of the sort. I'm free after this week and would love to hang out.

We're gonna bro out BIG TIME when I'm there in two weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater
    Tycho - 9/20 - Emo's
    Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

Bro-bros

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore