Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Fuji Rock 2009 Coachella Board Meet Up

Default Re: The Official Fuji Rock 2009 Coachella Board Meet Up

Quote Originally Posted by JClemy View Post
    Oasis should be pretty enjoyable.
    If anything, singing along like an idiot to "Live Forever" should be fun. There's nothing we can do about it, so we might as well try to be positive about the whole thing.

Though I think there's a more than a good chance that I'll be somewhere else (Tortoise at White Stage or Field of Heaven maybe?) when they play.

I always try to be positive about it. I figure even if the band sucks at least we can check it out. Maybe they will surprise.

Apparently, my friend is looking really forward to Juana Molina. I have no idea who she is though. And it looks like Seun Kuti's dad is Fela Kuti? Not that that necessarily confers greatness, but I'll have to check him out.

For whatever it's worth, they've added some really good Japanese bands to the lineup. Obviously, they'll take a back seat to the international acts (who I won't have as much opportunities to see in Japan), but I'm pretty stoked about Clammbon, since I'll have to miss their tour this year. Their set list for Fuji Rock 2007 was pretty terrible though, so here's hoping they get things right this time. I'll try to see Zazen Boys too, if they don't conflict with anything. Sakerock are also fun (if a bit of an acquired taste), but I'm seeing them at another festival in May...

And there's no denying that Public Enemy and Tortoise are strong additions - it's just that the presence of Oasis and the Killers puts a damper on the whole thing.

Summer Sonic is announcing tomorrow which bands will play which date. It won't matter much for folks who are going all three days, but for me, who's planning on going to just one, this will have HUGE implications. It'll be either Saturday or Sunday for me, so I'll be pretty pissed if all the bands I want to see are on Friday.

They're also releasing the third batch of bands, although I imagine they've pretty much laid out most of their strong cards already. They might have something up their sleeves though.

Summer Sonic is releasing more bands? I wish Fuji would get on with it. I'm sort of hoping the Friday will be weak and Saturday and Sunday are the good ones. I think I'll hit three days but I'm not totally sure yet.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

maybe Fuji Rock is working on something epic and its taking them longer to announce?
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014.

Summer Sonic is always a step ahead of Fuji in announcing their lineup (despite it being held two weeks later...), so Fuji isn't being particularly slow relative to previous years. However, it used to be that Fuji would release theirs twice a month, but they haven't been following that pattern so far. They obviously timed Oasis's announcement so that it would go out right after they finished their Japanese tour, but I wonder what other factors are at play. And will they keep doing it once a month from here on?

I still think it's stupid to have Oasis play Fuji four months after they toured the country, but maybe it made sense from a negotiating standpoint...

JClemy - Are you going to Tokyo or Osaka for Summer Sonic? If you haven't decided yet, and there's a possibility that you're only doing Saturday and Sunday, I guess you could make your decision based on how the bands are allocated over the three days.

I think we're going to Tokyo. It's more likely that we will go to all three days but that is a good way to do it. I want to see Osaka(even though I've heard there isn't a lot to see) but I think it would be better to just take a trip to Osaka rather than a festival trip.

They really did announce Oasis just after all the shows were over. That's sneaky but pretty clever.

I think I'm leaning towards Sunday (for Tokyo, that is)...

It looks like we'll be going to all three days. I really want to see Nine Inch Nails and The Flaming lips. I think Friday and Sunday are looking to be the best days. War is an interesting add. Beyonce's little sister being added is not all that surprising. I guess they are coming on a family trip to Japan. I wish Beyonce would have brought her husband instead.

*puke* MCR over NIN is seriously a joke.....like, how can the promoters do that?
    Upcoming Shows:
    The Knife: 4/9 @ Fox Theater
    Coachella: 4/11-13 @ Empire Polo Fields

Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    *puke* MCR over NIN is seriously a joke.....like, how can the promoters do that?
    I know, man. WTF? I will never nitpick about a questionable billing order at Coachella again.
    4/27 Ghost B.C. @ Fonda, 4/30 Mono @ Troubadour, 5/3 I Break Horses @ Bootleg Theater, 5/19 Lykke Li @ The Theatre at Ace, 5/28-6/1 Primavera Sound, 6/18-22 Sled Island, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Stapler View Post
    Holy F ing hell!

NIN, Kasabian, Soulwax, 2 Many Dj's, Aphex Twin, and Phoenix in the same day!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    出演アーティスト第2弾発表!THE KILLERS, OASIS, PUBLIC ENEMY 他

THE KILLERS, 9mm Parabellum Bullet, OASIS, PEACHES, PUBLIC ENEMY 他
    苗場にオアシスが帰ってきます! 11日間に渡る来日ツアーも大成功、日本各地でたくさんのオーディエンスを喜ばせてくれた彼ら、2001年 のフジ初登場以来8年ぶりの出演が決定!! また、2004年にRED MARQUEE に初登場したキラーズは今年各地で引っ張りだこ、世界中のフェスを制覇しフジに凱旋してくれま す。

今年は初登場のアーティストが多い年になりそうです。
    ジャパニーズ・ロック・シーンを牽引するキューミリ・パラベラム・バレットが満を持しての参戦、ジャム・バ ンド・シーンからは2001年の朝霧JAMでオーディエンスを湧かせたディスコ・ビスケッツ、国内エレクト ロシーンの要注目株エイティキッズ、話題の白人ソウル・シンガーが率いるファンキーソウルバン ド イーライペイパーボーイリード&ザ・トゥルー・ラブズ 、フランス発スーパー・ファンキー・ロック・デュオ インスペクター・クルーゾ、アルゼンチン音響派の歌姫ファナ・モリーナ、80年代の第1期インディ・バンド ・ブームの代表格 筋肉少女帯、史上最強エレクトロ・パンク・クィーン ピーチズ、名門ジャズレーベルのブルーノートから登場したシンガーソングライター プリシラ・アーン、ヒップホップ/ラップシーンに強大な影響を与えその名が語る通り社会派アーティストとし て絶大な存在感を示すパブリック・エネミー、アフロビートの創始者フェラ・クティの息子であるシェウン・ク ティがその遺伝子を引き継ぐべく父のバンドを率いるシェウン・クティ&エジプト80、ハッピーで爽快なバブ ルガム・ブレイクビーツが炸裂するサニーJ、ポストロックのパイオニア、シカゴ音響派の巨匠トータスが遂に フジロックに登場!とタテにもヨコにも幅広い13組の初参戦が決定しました。

加えて国内からはクラムボン、ハナレグミ、サケロック、スカフレームス、東京スカパラダイスオーケストラ、 ザゼンボーイズ の6組も決定しています。

第2弾にしてこの豪華さ、この面白さ、今年のフジロックは見逃せません。

詳しくは [ コチラ:アーティスト ]
    I'm not crazy about the second round of additions...

clammbon / DISCO BISCUITS / 80kidz / Eli "Paperboy" Reed & The True Loves / hanaregumi / THE INSPECTOR CLUZO / JUANA MOLINA / THE KILLERS / Kinniku Shoujotai / 9mm Parabellum Bullet / OASIS / PEACHES / PRISCILLA AHN / PUBLIC ENEMY / SAKEROCK / SEUN KUTI & EGYPT 80 / TheSkaFlames / SONNY J / TOKYO SKA PARADISE ORCHESTRA / TORTOISE / ZAZEN BOYS

21 artists added...and more artists to be announced

Minus the headliners, there are a lot of great bands on that Summer Sonic lineup that would be worth seeing.

If I was in Japan, I'd go the first day for NIN/Aphex Twin/Mogwai/Soulwax/Girl Talk/2 Many DJ's. That would definitely be a great day, so long as one could see all of them (or at least most).
    4/27 Ghost B.C. @ Fonda, 4/30 Mono @ Troubadour, 5/3 I Break Horses @ Bootleg Theater, 5/19 Lykke Li @ The Theatre at Ace, 5/28-6/1 Primavera Sound, 6/18-22 Sled Island, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    If I was in Japan, I'd go the first day for NIN/Aphex Twin/Mogwai/Soulwax/Girl Talk/2 Many DJ's. That would definitely be a great day, so long as one could see all of them (or at least most).
    I would too, if I were a tourist in Japan. But as a salaryman drone in Japan, Friday is unfortunately out for me. Well, I suppose I could take the bullet train down to Osaka and see that lineup on Saturday, but that seems a bit extreme (I'm going to conveniently ignore the fact that JClemy is flying down all the way from Hokkaido).

I have no comment on MCR being billed above NIN, other than that Summer Sonic is weird like that. I realize that Fuji probably seems weird to most folks here too, but SS takes the cake.

I was actually sort of curious to see Beyonce just for the absurdity factor, but I expect she will conflict with the Flaming Lips or something.

That said, I'm only about 80% sold on going. I THINK I'll go, just not absolutely sure yet.

Wait, I just noticed that Mastodon is billed above Sonic Youth. Nothing against Mastodon, but WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    Wait, I just noticed that Mastodon is billed above Sonic Youth. Nothing against Mastodon, but WTF?
    I think that's just alphabetical order.

at least you spelled it right.
    Upcoming Shows:

I think that's just alphabetical order.
    Oh wait, no it isn't (at least for the other dates). Yeah, that's weird.

Beyonce?

Seriously? Beyonce?

Seriously? The Flaming Lips->Beyonce?

Mastodon->The Flaming Lips->Beyonce?

BEYONCE!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.

what...you didnt enjoy her concert tonight at GM Place, Josh? did you and your sister have good seats?
    Upcoming Shows:

Just out of curiosity, if you HAD to see one of the three headliners (My Chemical Romance, Linking Park, Beyonce), who would everyone choose?

Ummm... BEYONCE!
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.

Haha, I think we're on the same page then. But yeah, like I said, she's bound to go against a more attractive headliner playing in one of the other stages, so unfortunately, no Beyonce for this guy.

I'm dying to find out who they put in front of her. I'm sure she'll draw a lot of people who don't usually go to these sort of festivals, and I'm equally sure that at least some of them will try to stake out a spot up front way ahead of time. So if someone like, say, Mastodon plays before her, it'd be interesting to see how they handle being stuck in the middle of the mosh pit...

Though I doubt Mastodon will be a main stage sub-headliner. For that matter, I actually don't see ANY potential main stage sub-headliner for Saturday or Sunday, so I guess there's still a few (relatively) big names who have yet to be confirmed.

Just out of curiosity, if you HAD to see one of the three headliners (My Chemical Romance, Linking Park, Beyonce), who would everyone choose?
    Having seen 2 of the 3 before, I would see MCR. I actually like the black parade.

There was an interview with Naoki Shimizu, the head honcho of Creativeman, in the issue of Rockin' On magazine that came out yesterday. Some random tidbits:

-He named some bands that hadn't been announced yet at the time of the interview (the interviewer totally flipped out when he mentioned Beyonce as the headliner). Included among them was Evanescence. Yes, yuck, I know, but this shouldn't really surprise anyone at this point. The real question is, why weren't they included in yesterday's update?

-They considered having Green Day and Radiohead, but didn't think this was the right year for them, and never initiated talks. They did however negotiate with Bruce Springsteen (which is probably why those dates were open in his schedule - leading to speculations), but it just didn't pan out this year. But he said it might happen in the future. They also entered negotiations with Slipknot, but couldn't agree on the fee.

-My Chemical Romance and Linkin Park were highly enthusiastic about Summer Sonic, and the offer to play came from them, not the other way around. MCR promised that they would have a new album ready by then, and were even willing to include that as a clause in the contract. I'd like to commend both bands for having the good sense to take that offer to SS and not Fuji, thank God.

-Trent Reznor has absolutely no problem playing in front of MCR, and is looking forward to kicking their ass.

-Aphex Twin will headline the Sonic Stage on Friday (Tokyo). So I guess people who are going that day and want to see both NIN and Aphex should be grateful that NIN isn't headlining, because that would've made it impossible.

-Flaming Lips, Sonic Youth, Teenage Fanclub, and the Vaselines are all playing the Sonic Stage on Sunday (Tokyo), meaning none of those will conflict. I'm only familiar with the Vaselines through the Nirvana covers but I'm sort of curious, and I definitely want to see the other three bands, so this is good news for me. Assuming I actually go, that is (I'm starting to have second thoughts, to be honest). And Gogol will probably conflict with one of those bands anyway...
    Last edited by Blue Stapler; 04-01-2009 at 04:52 PM.

I'm stoked to see Trent Reznor play against/before MCR. When he played hurt it might destroy MCR. I'm really excited to see Gogol Bordello again.