Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Fuji Rock 2009 Coachella Board Meet Up

Default Re: The Official Fuji Rock 2009 Coachella Board Meet Up

My sister is taking the teaching position, this means I'm game for the festival next year!
    Quote Originally Posted by shaggyduck View Post
    More laser beams is ALWAYS prefered to less laser beams. ALWAYS.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Stapler View Post
    Echigo Yuzawa, possibly. Niigata City, absolutely not. The last train from Echigo Yuzawa to Niigata leaves around 11pm, meaning you'd probably want to leave the festival site at about ten to be on the safe side. And that assumes there's no great wait for the shuttle bus. Also, one-way tickets from Echigo Yuzawa to Niigata costs over 5000 JPY. It's a terrible idea. Don't do it.
    Thank you! That would have been an awful idea! So you think Echigo Yuzawa would possibly work. We're hoping to spend extra time with her parents by having the hotel with them but if it's not going to work then it's not going to work. Thanks for the help!

Yeah, a lot of people elect to stay at a hotel in Echigo Yuzawa and commute to the festival using the free shuttle bus service, so that's certainly a reasonable plan. HOWEVER...

1. I'm not really sure how much time you'll have to spend with them. Unless you leave early, you probably won't arrive back at Echigo Yuzawa until well after midnight (I've heard the queue after the headliner ends can be insanely long), and that's even if you decide you don't want to see some of the late night shows.

2. The entire city will be overrun by Fujirockers during that weekend. Echigo Yuzawa is supposedly famous for its spas, but will your future parents-in-law relish the idea of sharing the experience with a bunch of filthy festival-goers? Though I guess there will be a lot less of them during the daytime and evening.

3. You will want to book a place to stay as early as possible.

Why not just invite them to the festival itself? There are plenty of acts that I'm sure older people can enjoy (Neville Brothers, Booker T, Meters, Patti Smith, Steve Nieve, Wilko Johnson etc.) and they should be fine as long as they prepare properly for the weather.

Edit: Seriously, just send them this link and tell them to take a look at some of the photos there. They'd have to be incredibly jaded to see these pics and not go "okay, I want to be a part of that."
    Last edited by Blue Stapler; 05-24-2009 at 10:20 PM.

Summer Sonic has added Ne-Yo to the lineup. I don't even know what kind of festival they're trying to be anymore.

Tickets could sell out pretty quickly though, with this year's lineup.

There's not much to discuss until the stage splits get announced. Hopefully that'll get announced in the next couple of weeks?

I'm dying to know what bands I'll get to see for sure and hoping the conflicts on friday are not too brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookieman908 View Post
    There's not much to discuss until the stage splits get announced. Hopefully that'll get announced in the next couple of weeks?
    June 1 (meaning May 31, North American time), according to some sources.

Since I'm bored, here are my predictions for the headliners and sub-headliners for each of the major stages (except Gypsy Avalon, since I don't think anyone playing there has been announced yet). All snide comments about me needing to get a life will be roundly ignored:

Green Stage: Oasis / Franz Ferdinand / Weezer (duh)

Green Stage sub: Killers / unannounced / Basement Jaxx

White Stage: Neville Brothers / Public Enemy / Fall Out Boy

White Stage sub: unannounced / Bad Brains / Animal Collective

Red Marquee: unannounced / Zazen Boys / Royksopp

Red Marquee sub: Doves / unannounced / Maximo Park

Field of Heaven: Clammbon / Meters / Disco Biscuits

Field of Heaven sub: Tortoise / UA / Soul Flower Union

Orange Court: Gong / Booker T / Seun Kuti

Orange Court sub: Rafven / unannounced / Steve Nieve

I'm sure I fucked up all sorts of things with this prediction - we'll see to what extent I'm wrong in a few days!

Most of these make sense. I do hope you're wrong about the following:

Killers v.s. Doves
    Animal Colective v.s. Basement Jaxx

I agree that the Green Stage sub is likely unnanounced yet. I wonder who that could be . Kings of Leon perhaps? It would fit their current tour schedule quite nicely.

In North America Ben Harper would definitely be a main stage sub but I guess that doesn't necessarily apply in Japan. I noticed you didn't put Ben on here. You think he'll play earlier in the day rather than headlining or subheadlining a stage?

Well if the Basement Jaxx/Animal Collective conflict is unpalatable, we could always give BJ the White Stage headlining slot. But they would then conflict with Royksopp. Not that Royksopp headlining the Red Marquee or AC sub-headlinig the White Stage is a certainty, of course.

The Doves might be headed for an earlier slot at the Green Stage. I have to admit, looking at Friday's lineup, it's sort of hard to see any of them headlining or sub-headlining the Red Marquee. I thought about M83, but that may be pushing it. Guitar Wolf maybe? Some have speculated Patti Smith might headline, but I'm hoping that's not true since I'd much rather see her in an outdoors setting.

I plain forgot about Ben Harper. He'd be a natural fit at the Field of Heaven (where he'd have to be a sub-headliner at least), but it's possible he might be headed for the Green or White Stage.

There's been some discussion at the fujirockers.org message board regarding who will kick off the festival i.e. be first up at the Green Stage on Friday. Assuming it's not an unannounced band, I'm going to boldly predict (as some others have done) that it'll be one of the two orchestras - Shibusashirazu or Tokyo Ska Paradise.

Edit: Whoops, I just remembered that Shibusa is playing Sunday. So I guess my prediction is TSPO as the opening band.
    Last edited by Blue Stapler; 05-29-2009 at 08:29 AM.

I didn't even think about suggesting they come along. The area seems amazing. Camping really seems like the way to go for this fest.

How fast do you think Summer Sonic will sell out?

Quote Originally Posted by JClemy View Post
    Camping really seems like the way to go for this fest.
    You're making me feel like a wuss for choosing to take a hotel

Anyway, with regards to Summer Sonic tickets, I can't really say, to be honest. The lineup this year is extremely weird even by past SS standards, and people have been complaining left and right. So I'm sure some folks have been turned off, but at the same time, it will also likely draw a lot of people who otherwise wouldn't go, so it's hard to predict

Then there's also that sub-headlining slot for Saturday, the "Special Guest from Japan." I have no idea who this is, but the way they're hyping this up, I'm thinking this could be someone who is really, really big (and really, really crappy) over here, so who knows how this will affect sales once it's announced.

And so much for the notion that the Fuji Rock stage allocations would be announced today. The information came from a blog by a well-known music journalist, but I guess we were idiots for believing her (though the day isn't over yet). Bleh.

The only info that's been updated is the lineup for the Rookie a Go-Go stage. Naturally, most of these bands I've never heard of (though I'm familiar with Harp On Mouth Sextet - these guys are hardly "rookies" btw - and might even catch them if schedule allows, and I've seen Mahiruno before). Kind of a letdown, but I guess we can wait a few more days...

The stage splits finally went up a couple hours ago. Check it out:

http://www.fujirockfestival.com/artist/

One thing's for sure, I'll be camping my ass out on main stage on Friday. Don't really see the need to stage jump on this day. The other 2 days I'll probably move around a bit.

Blue Stapler, as an experienced FujiRocker, what do you think will happen with Basement Jaxx? Would they play as low on the main stage totem pole as they are currently showing on that page or does the "very special guest" next to their name imply that they might play after Weezer on the main stage and close out the whole festival?

I'm horrified about a Basement Jaxx V.S. Royksopp conflict, but otherwise there won't be a lot of conflicts for me. I'm a happy camper right now.

I'm hardly a seasoned Fuji Rock veteran, but thanks for thinking that I am! Anyway, Basement Jaxx will take the closing slot i.e. play after Weezer. I'm pretty sure they won't conflict directly with Royksopp, though the slight distance between the White and Green stages might mean you'll have to leave Royksopp a little early to catch BJ's set in its entirety. And be warned that the path to the Green Stage is going to be insanely congested after Royksopp finishes.

I'm personally more concerned about the shows before Royksopp. Ideally, I would see Shibusashirazu, ROVO, and then Royksopp, but I might have to give up on ROVO. I really don't want to arrive late for Royksopp, as I'm worried that the White Stage could reach maximum capacity and prevent me from getting in.

Friday is going to be tricky for me. The way it's set up now, it would be Patti Smith, Tortoise, Neville Brothers, and Clammbon, but I don't know if that's even possible (will have to wait until they release set times), and even if it is, it would entail a good deal of walking, even more so if I want to see Gang Gang Dance after that (which I do). So I might have to give a miss to Clammbon, and maybe even Tortoise depending on set times (and my preparedness to take long walks...). Either way, I probably won't get to see Jeff Lang. Sad.

I'm surprised that Simian Mobile Disco is headlining the Red Marquee. I thought for sure they'd be a late night act. And Sunny Day Service at the Field of Heaven is stupid. I mean, FOH is my absolute favorite spot at the festival, but there is going to be so many people who won't be able to get in.

And lastly, I hate Jet.
    Last edited by Blue Stapler; 06-01-2009 at 05:02 PM.

Hi, there!

I love to go to Fuji but I don`t think I can go because of the work.

Did you get a hotel right at Naeba?

How reasonable would it be to try to get back to Tokyo for the night of the 26th?

Did you get a hotel right at Naeba?

How reasonable would it be to try to get back to Tokyo for the night of the 26th?

Looks like I'll be spending more time at the White Stage this year, which I'm not sure I'm thrilled about because I thought the acoustics were subpar. And I'll be spending a lot less time at Red Marquee, probably only for M83, Peaches and maybe one other.

And are we sure Weezer won't close the Green Stage on Sunday? Either way, I am a bit concerned about a Royksopp conflict....

JClemy - Yeah, the hotel is in Naeba, within walking distance from the festival site. Commuting from Echigo Yuzawa seems like a pain in the ass, so I probably would've camped if the hotel reservation didn't work out, but it did. I assume you're camping, right?

As for going to Tokyo on Friday night, there's absolutely nothing reasonable about it of course, but as long as you're willing to put up with the hassle and the shinkansen cost, and don't mind missing any of the headliners that day, it's certainly possible.

gweilo - Basement Jaxx will definitely close off the Green Stage. If you look at the Fuji Rock history page, you'll see all the past closing acts are listed as "Very Special Guest." Weirdly, I didn't see a single act at the Red Marquee last year, so I'm hoping I can catch a few. I might possibly see M83 and the Trashcan Sinatras (they can't be the headliner, can they?), but they may conflict with someone else I want to see.

And according to Rafven's myspace page, they'll be playing Fuji Rock on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Thursday means they're one of the pre-fest acts of course, and methinks they'll also be playing the Crystal Palace, and possibly Naeba Shokudo or Gypsy Avalon.

And in other news, B'z are playing Summer Sonic. They, in addition to being unspeakably bad, are absolutely one of the biggest bands in Japan, so Saturday tickets may sell out, though I don't know how this will affect sales of the three-day pass.
    Last edited by Blue Stapler; 06-03-2009 at 06:44 PM.

Lily Allen is playing Fuji Rock.

http://www.myspace.com/lilymusic

Holy smokes, great find. I'm now convinced Friday Green Stage might be the most impressive stage lineup in the history of the festival. It's certainly top 3.

Oasis
    Killers
    Patti Smith
    Lilly Allen
    Doves
    White Lies
    Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra

The only one I feel can come close is Friday Green Stage in 2007:

The Cure
    Muse
    Kings of Leon
    Jarvis Cocker
    Kemuri
    Yellowcard
    Sambomaster

Blue Stapler: Ahh, yes, now they've inserted "VSG" in front of Basement Jaxx and I was going to ask what it meant.

I would have rathered Kate Nash but Lilly Allen is an awesome addition! She's a lot of fun live. I'm getting more excited about this fest.

Also thanks for all the advice blue. It was Tokyo on the Sunday night after the fest but I kinda thought going back would be almost impossible that late at night without missing performers. We are camping. I'm excited to camp but not excited to transport all the camping stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by JClemy View Post
    It was Tokyo on the Sunday night after the fest
    Okay, I have no idea why I assumed it was Friday, and am feeling rather stupid. For some inexplicable reason, I thought you were heading for Tokyo on Friday night and then come back Saturday morning! There's nothing unreasonable about leaving Sunday night - a lot of people do it in fact - but of course, you'll definitely end up missing Basement Jaxx, and probably Weezer / Royksopp as well.

Apparently, Ben Harper is playing a Canadian festival on Sunday that weekend. Given the time zone difference between Japan and NA, I suppose it's technically possible purely from a logistical standpoint, but the guy (and his booking agent) is out of his mind.

That would be insane to do two festivals but Weezer and Fall out Boy are playing shows in North America right around there too. Brave Brave people. I wouldn't want to miss Basement Jaxx

I was wrong about Weezer but I think I was right about Fall Out Boy unfortunately I don't care enough to check.

Lily Allen has been confirmed for the 24th. I wish it was Kate Nash though.

Weezer and Fall Out Boy are both playing a Korean festival, presumably on Friday.

You know, I'm not particularly a fan of Lily Allen and don't know if I'll be seeing her, but I have to admit, it's pretty cool hearing her say nice things like this:

"I'm playing the Fuji Rock Festival on Friday 24th July. If you were only to go to one festival in the world, here are my thoughts on Fuji:

'...Hands down the best festival in the world. It's just really beautiful, set-up in the mountains. But it takes fucking hours to get there - like seven hours by car. But it's beautiful how they do it up with twinkling lights everywhere.' "

Though I can't find the message now, but I swear to God it was on her myspace page last week. And no, Rivers Cuomo saying the same thing will not convince me that Weezer are worth seeing. Anyway, Kate Nash played Fuji last year (I did catch a glimpse of her, but it was fucking raining and I wasn't really in the mood) so I doubt she'll be booked two years in a row.

TV Asahi is doing a special on Fuji Rock on Saturday (though I'm not sure if it's going to be shown nationwide or in the Tokyo area only). I'd like to watch it, but it starts at like 2:25 AM.

And lastly, this has shit all to do with Fuji Rock, but all I've been hearing from friends who went to the Taico Club festival last weekend is how awesome Squarepusher were. It's starting to depress me.

I would think Squarepusher would be fun live. I've seen him on the Coachella DVD.

I've seen both Kate Nash and Lily Allen at Coachella and they were both a lot of fun. I think I like Kate's music better but Lily was a more fun performance. That is really cool of her to say that too.

I should see if we are getting that special. I don't know that I would actually watch though because as you said 2:45 is kind of ridiculous.(nevermind. Kanto area only)

Have you gotten your presale tickets in the mail yet? I just started thinking about it the other day and realized I hadn't received them yet.

Looking at the lineup it looks like they should be releasing another headliner on Saturday since there is only Franz Ferdinand in bold. I'm not sure though. I'm actually pretty excited to see Cobra Starship. I went and saw them at a warped tour and they were loads of fun!

I'm supposed to get my pre-sale ticket from a friend, but I don't know if she's received it yet. I suppose I better ask, though my guess is, it's still a couple of weeks away.

Yeah, the Green Stage sub-headliner spot is still open for Saturday. It would be awesome if it were someone who is, well, awesome, but it's no big deal for me if it's not (and I'm suspecting that to be the case). There are plenty of other acts I want to see during that time slot. I'm also suspecting that the White Stage sub-headliner for Friday and the Red Marquee headliner for Saturday are still unannounced.

Has anyone noticed the lack of jazz in the lineup? Maybe there are other jazz acts in there that I've never heard of, but Soil & "Pimp" Sessions are the only one I recognize. And with the Orange Court and Field of Heaven apparently already full, I guess it's not going to have much of a presence this year (unless you consider the Meters to be jazz, which I don't). Or, I don't know, maybe they'll get some club-friendly jazz bands to play the Red Marquee or Crystal Palace.

Edit: Okay, the ticket is supposed to arrive in early July.

Awesome. Thank you. I'm sure that it's going to be tough to see all the acts that we'll want to see.

The Red Marquee and Green Stage look like they are going to be difficult for me.

Where do they have Tribal Circus, Planet Groove and Sunday Session?

I guess It will just have to work. Who knows.

I'm watching the special right now. Dinosaur Jr. are headlining the Red Marquee on saturday.

I wish I could be watching it. I can't sleep!