Page 411 of 454 FirstFirst ... 406407408409410411412413414415416 ... LastLast
Results 12,301 to 12,330 of 13591

Thread: Get to know your fellow board members....

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Default Re: Get to know your fellow board members....

Also, who is your favorite board poster?
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Mitch, are you clear on the meaning of "omnibus" now that I've straightened your young ass out?

Also, at what point did you look at Originalbob and say, "Sigh... well, looks like I'm waking up to that every morning."
    Yes, I will concede that I used the term improperly in the sense that multiple headliner speculation and argument threads had not yet been created at the time that I fashioned the omnibus thread.

Originalbob and I escalated slowly, like Vietnam. I started with informal advisers, maybe a covert op here or there. Gradually the operation expanded. I don't know that we had a Gulf of Tonkin Incident that formalized escalation, but at this point, I feel like we're at 200,000 troops and settling in for the Tet Offensive and it's not really clear how we got here but we're going to be goddamned if this ends before we see it through.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Also, who is your favorite board poster?
    Ironically enough, probably PotVsKtl.

What's the most shocking thing you ever realized about yourself?
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

What's the most shocking thing you ever realized about yourself?
    That me, and everyone I loved, would someday die, and that there is almost certainly no heaven as I was raised to believe. That whatever moral good is in me has to be self-directed, and that I alone am responsible for finding some sort of meaning in the time that I have to live.

In what order will they die, do you think? Estimate on your best available information.

How do you feel about Mother's Day?

Coachella Junkie

What can you tell us about Rick?

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    In what order will they die, do you think? Estimate on your best available information.
    Chances are according to actuarial tables, right? I think my dad may pull out ahead of my mom, however. She's a year older, and is a bundle of assorted health problems and emotional resentments. Which is a natural segue to

How do you feel about Mother's Day?
    I hate it. It preempted my birthday as a child several times, which sucks when you're nine and don't understand better. My Mother has always seen the day as an occasion to feel badly about her own relationship with my grandmother, her shortcomings (real and imagined) as a mother, and her sense of resentment that my dad, us kids, and the rest of western society don't recognize her enough. Mother's Day was always the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    What can you tell us about Rick?
    Boogie Nights, Daft Punk both played a role in his courtship of the Cap'n.

So you're raising some other dude's kid?

What's your favorite place in or on a woman (specific women and various choices between them are encouraged) to ejaculate?

What inspired law school?

Are you glad you work in the legal profession? What is the best thing about your work? The worst?

If you had to eradicate one animal species, what would it be and why?
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Mitch, what (if anything) do you see as the most common inaccuracies when the American legal system is portrayed on television or in film?

Mitch, what band or musician has inspired the most fanaticism in you over the course of your life thus far, and what is the most extreme thing you have done as a result of that fanaticism?

Mitch, how many board members attempted to hit on your sister at Coachella?

Mitch, how is it possible that I didn't fuck your sister at Coachella?

Actually, first I should probably ask: DID I fuck your sister at Coachella?

Miroir Noir. What food/meal would you most want to have sex with?
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Mitch,

Do you think Elena Kagan is still a virgin?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

So you're raising some other dude's kid?
    Yes. Not ever what I would have anticipated doing (I never expected that I would have children), but meaningful beyond all belief. I hope I am doing right by the kid.

What's your favorite place in or on a woman (specific women and various choices between them are encouraged) to ejaculate?
    I am a bewb man. Obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What inspired law school?

Are you glad you work in the legal profession? What is the best thing about your work? The worst?

If you had to eradicate one animal species, what would it be and why?
    With the exception of the initial childhood "I want to be a Ghostbuster when I grow up!" phase of life, I always knew I wanted to be a lawyer. I liked all of the history and social studies classes as an elementary student, and from a very early age liked asking questions and arguing with adults about everything. I was always told by teachers and family that I would make a good lawyer, and it was sort of a self-reinforcing thing after a while. I really started looking up to my uncle who was (and still is) an assistant AG in Connecticut. I would see him at Christmas or summer vacation and he would talk about suing the tobacco industry to recover Medicare costs, and I thought it was the coolest fucking thing I had ever heard of. As I grew older and into high school, I had ambitions of going into electoral politics someday, a Senator or something, and hey, all those guys are lawyers, too. Day 1 of undergrad was political science (I picked up philosophy as a second major along the way), and the only possible career plan was to enter law school four years later. As an undergrad, I became pretty disillusioned with the idea of electoral politics for a variety of reasons, not the least of which included a heavy dose of reality that so much of it -- the Aaron Sorkin world of The West Wing -- is total bullshit. I became more interested in constitutional law; Lawrence v. Texas was decided the summer I took the LSAT, and that had a huge influence on me: some of purest, best change can come through the courts and good lawyering.

Today I am very glad I work in the profession. In my heart of hearts, I would love to write or blog for a living, but I have a natural mind for legal argument, and I feel I am contributing the best work I possibly can as an attorney. There's a satisfaction in being good at your job that makes up for a lot of the disappointments that will invariably come along. I never had any real interest in private practice. The jockeying for grades, the OCIs, the cushy summer jobs, it all seemed so unseemly to me as a student. I've worked exclusively in government during and after law school, in all three branches and at the state, municipal, and now county levels. It's been a good breadth of experience and opportunities, and my current job (I am counsel for a number of county public health entities) gives me the chance to do things that actually help real world people, which assuages my white liberal guilt, and also bolsters my core conviction that public service is important and that the government can work to make people's lives better. The worst part of my current job are the times when it becomes overly routine; I like the challenge of being exposed to new problems or learning new things, and it can get very boring at times. I also probably deserve to be compensated better than I am, but state and local governments are still taking it on the chin financially, and lower pay is the price I pay to have evening and weekends and slightly less anxiety.

I would probably get rid of the mosquito. Truly an irritating species, and probably not crucial for the food chain, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Mitch, what (if anything) do you see as the most common inaccuracies when the American legal system is portrayed on television or in film?

Mitch, what band or musician has inspired the most fanaticism in you over the course of your life thus far, and what is the most extreme thing you have done as a result of that fanaticism?

Mitch, how many board members attempted to hit on your sister at Coachella?
    The biggest inaccuracy from my perspective is "the CSI effect": the idea that every criminal case is built on all of this awesome forensic evidence and cutting edge technology. A more abstract inaccuracy is the idea that lawyers always build up to big "ah ha" moments that lead to the resolution of whatever dispute they're involved in. In my experience, resolution comes after both sides have soberly examined the strengths and weaknesses of their position and settle at a point of rational agreement.

I was a huge U2 fan in high school, and still have a tremendous amount of residual affection for them, even as they became a U2 cover band during the 2000s. I actually joined Amnesty International when I was 16 because U2 encouraged people to join the organization in the liner notes to all of their albums. I went down to the bank and had a money order cut and everything. As a more traditional answer, I got in line at 7:00 am on a snowy and very cold December day to make the pit for one of their shows in Salt Lake City. Waited out the last hour in a t-shirt so I wouldn't have to haul all of my winter clothes in the venue.

I don't believe anyone hit on my sister. She was pretty aloof about the whole boardie thing, and I imagine was kind of standoffish. She (rightly) senses that we are all nerds.

Mitch, how is it possible that I didn't fuck your sister at Coachella?

Actually, first I should probably ask: DID I fuck your sister at Coachella?
    No, she was with me or Originalbob the whole time. At least I think she was. And definitely not on Friday: she went home early because of the weather.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    Miroir Noir. What food/meal would you most want to have sex with?
    When you start asking yourself, "what kind of foodstuff would provide the necessary balance of lubrication and friction," you've already thought about this question too long.

Mitch,

Do you think Elena Kagan is still a virgin?
    Setting aside high school or college, in her adult life she's spent enough time around liberal academia and politics that she has to have had plenty of sex, right? I'm guessing no one from her past is talking because she is likely a lesbian. I love Justice Kagan, by the way. I hope she can be an intellectual counterweight to John Roberts for decades to come. The Court badly needs a smart liberal who can actually write cleverly.

Mitch, I often visit Park City. I generally fly into SLC and then rent a car and leave immediately. What am I missing? Please propose a 24-hour Salt Lake City itinerary that would demonstrate the best of what the city has to offer.

Also, I had a disagreement with a friend recently where I recounted how when I was last in Salt Lake City, I had to "become a member" of some bar to drink there because it was technically a private club and that was how they got around the liquor laws. She said she drank all the time when she was at Sundance and that I must be making up the whole thing. Can you please explain to me the nuances of serving alcohol in the state of Utah?

Have you ever attended the Sundance Film Festival? If yes, tell us about your experience.

Which director would you want to work with on a film, and in what capacity would you want to work on the production? You can't choose "production lawyer."

Which board member would you most want to beat within an inch of his/her life and what would be the circumstances necessary to compel you to that action?
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    It's like finding out an old high school buddy is on meth, and you're not sure if any of the rumors of him giving handies behind Burger King are true but they very likely could be.

In-N-Out or Crown?

The Yankees. Why?

Mitch, why don't you want to have your own biological children, despite pleads from our boy for a little sister (which is heart renching and fucking adorable!)? Mind you, he was requesting this ever before watching Babies for the first time and just recently.

What was your most recent dream you recall and why do you think you had it?

Would you ever sit in a kiddie pool full of instant potatoes for the hell of it? What if you were paid? If you were the only individual to sit in it, would you take a delicious finger scoop?

Please explain specifically what kind of lawyer you are and what level of the machine you work on so that I can blast your asshole with ethical dilemmas. Thank you.

Mitch, may I call you that?

Have you ever found yourself repeating your name in different character voices? If not, would you try it in a public place for your first time doing it?

Mitch, what two lawyer/law type movie actor/characters have you seen that have done the best job and worst job of depicting what your profession is really like?
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

Mitch,

You are the casting director for a musical comedy about the Supreme Court's Summer of '12. Please tell us what Hollywood stars you cast as each of the 9 justices.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

^^This has potential!

If you could have a choice of any 4 board members as family, who would they be and their designated relationship?
    I bet TomAZ is in here...

MITCH, I NEED YOU TO THINK ABOUT THIS VERY CAREFULLY

HOW MUCH MONEY MAKE YOU SLUT FOR MONEY?

Okay, let's do this:

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Mitch, I often visit Park City. I generally fly into SLC and then rent a car and leave immediately. What am I missing? Please propose a 24-hour Salt Lake City itinerary that would demonstrate the best of what the city has to offer.

Also, I had a disagreement with a friend recently where I recounted how when I was last in Salt Lake City, I had to "become a member" of some bar to drink there because it was technically a private club and that was how they got around the liquor laws. She said she drank all the time when she was at Sundance and that I must be making up the whole thing. Can you please explain to me the nuances of serving alcohol in the state of Utah?
    Breakfast: the city has any number of great breakfast and brunch establishments, including a compliment of excellent brew pubs. Since you're starting out in the AM, and you can't buy a drink before noon, you may want to skip them in favor of something more traditional. I suggest Eggs in the City -- perfect comfort food/instant hangover remedy, served out of a converted garage.

Morning: head downtown. Check out Temple Square, home of the Mormon Church. Even for the non-religious (perhaps especially for the non-religious), this is an incredible historical and architectural site. Avoid the Church's missionaries and stick to a self-guided tour of the grounds unless you want to end up there all day or have a 21-year-old BYU co-ed turned Temple Square missionary become your interlocutor on all things religious (sample conversation: missionary: "what do you believe?" visitor: "I believe in x religious belief" missionary: "that's great, we believe in similar y belief!"). The Church's history and art museum is across the street from Temple Square, and depending on what exhibits they are running, it may be worth checking into, especially given your personal background. They have some cool pioneer artifacts, but also a lot of middlebrow and religious art. Also nearby are the Beehive House and the Lion House, the preserved residences of Brigham Young and some of his numerous wives.

Tons of high end retail in this area, much of it recently opened as a business venture by the LDS Church.

Late morning: drive up to the State Capitol. You get an excellent view of the entire valley and get to see our incredibly beautiful Capitol Building. Possibly worth a trip inside to see some of the pioneer era artifacts and art inside. Also nearby is the Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum.

Lunch: Pick up a heaping slice of pie at Utah's best pizza joint, the Pie, adjacent to the University of Utah. You are a few steps away from the flagship location of Graywhale, our local indie record store, and from the U's President's Circle, home to some of the University's historic buildings and performing arts centers.

Afternoon: Many people would direct you to our excellent zoo, but I'd send you 20 miles up the Interstate to visit Lagoon, Utah's Disneyland before Disneyland existed. The freaking Beach Boys named dropped it once. They've got a water park, and this really one-of-a-kind replica Pioneer town (with shops that sell hand-made candy and fudge! And a log flume ride!), but the real selling point are the eight excellent roller coasters, including a rickety old wooden roller coaster that dates to 1921, and is probably my favorite amusement ride anywhere on earth.

Evening: assuming you can convince yourself to leave Lagoon, head back downtown and dine at the Copper Onion, a newish American Bistro that punches well ahead of its price class. From there you are close to our downtown performing arts centers for a play or the symphony, are are right next door to our arthouse movie theater. If there's a good indie band in town that night, pray they are playing at Urban Lounge.

Nightcap: my favorite place to be classy in Salt Lake City, the Red Door. There are better bars for singles and for dancing, but for my money (and if you go here, be prepared to pay a bit more than city average), this is the best lounge in the City. If you're a beer person, hit up one of those brewpubs I mentioned at the top.

Liquor laws. A patchwork of regulations designed to thwart overconsumption, generally written by people who have never had a drink in their lives, and crafted over the decades to the point of nonsense. The "private club" membership system was done away with in 2009. You can now freely enter bars without having to go through a dance about "sponsorships" and "memberships" and the rest. Some places now have traditional cover charges. The most important of the weird drinking rules are these: bars open at 11:00 am, last call is at 1:00 am. Restaurants can serve liquor, wine, and heavy beer (over 3.2%) from noon to midnight, but generally only if you order food with your drinks, and if you order in the restaurant's bar area, you can't bring your drink into the dining area. Heavy beer cannot be served on tap, but it can be sold by bars and restaurants in bottles. You can bring your own wine to dinner, subject to any corkage fees. When you are ordering mixed drinks, you are not allowed more than 1.5 ounces of primary liquor in a mixed drink. Secondary alcoholic flavorings may then be added to a mixed drink as the recipe requires, not to exceed a total of 2.5 ounces of spirituous liquor total (so no doubles). You can order more than one drink at a time, but only if the drinks have a different primary spirit (so no dumping extra shots into your drink).

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    Have you ever attended the Sundance Film Festival? If yes, tell us about your experience.

Which director would you want to work with on a film, and in what capacity would you want to work on the production? You can't choose "production lawyer."

Which board member would you most want to beat within an inch of his/her life and what would be the circumstances necessary to compel you to that action?
    I've attended Sundance regularly since 2004. I've only done a full on pass once, but I buy tickets to several shows each year, and always make sure to purchase screenings to the after festival grand prize winners in US Dramatic and Documentary. I've seen some amazing stuff premiere at Sundance, even now, in the Paris Hilton-ified, corporate indiewood festivals of the 2000s. Saw The Squid and the Whale in 2005 and got to ask Noah Baumbach a question. Saw Winter's Bone in 2010, and Beasts of the Southern Wild this year. I've seen exquisite documentaries over the years -- real "labor of love" film making. Caught a special screening of the LCD Soundsystem doc this year, too (you guys are all in for a treat in two weeks). I've also seen plenty of indulgent crap, and plenty of overly preachy documentaries that didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. The worst people from California -- the worst -- come out to the festival, the kind of people that make me want to vote Republican out of spite. I avoid Park City all together until the fest ends, and try to stick to SLC screenings, which have been a real cultural advantage to living here over the years.

If I could work with any film maker, I would probably pick Terrence Malick, just so I could talk to him about life, nature, and philosophy. In all likelihood, there's probably not much that I could contribute to his work, because if I were to work in film, I would probably be a screenwriter. Malick's films all tend to junk their scripts at some point between shooting and editing, and it's all in his head anyway. So I guess a back up answer would be Martin Scorsese. He usually works from the scripts of others, is a cultural icon, and a personal favorite. Even though I am a trained lawyer, I could probably help a seasoned narrative screenwriter put together a good script. One of Kieslowski's great collaborators was Krzysztof Piesiewicz, a lawyer Kieslowski meet during the Solidarity trials in Poland during the '80s. Piesiewicz couldn't naturally write dialogue or screenplays, but he could think and argue, and he and Kieslowski would bounce ideas and arguments off of each other until they came up with some of the most thought-provoking films on ethics and metaphysics created during the '80s and '90s. That gives me hope that I could maybe have a creative function using the talents that I do have.

I'm not naturally violent, but probably Goatchella. The required circumstances would be him following me around at the festival, acting exactly in the same way that he posts on the boards.

Quote Originally Posted by santasutt View Post
    In-N-Out or Crown?

The Yankees. Why?
    In-N-Out. Crown, for those who don't know, is the local's favorite for burger and fries in SLC (hat tip to santasutt for being in the know). Their signature burger includes a heaping handful of pastrami as the primary condiment for the burger. They have good French fries (though they are not my favorite, many locals swear by them), and along with Arctic Circle (a local burgers and ice cream fast food chain) they are reputed as one of the primary developers of "fry sauce" -- a mixture of ketchup, mayo, and assorted spices that is as dear to the area's culture as Mormonism. I like Crown, I think their char-broiled taste is quite good, but In-N-Out wins on the basis of fresh, high-quality ingredients, California nostalgia, and milkshakes that you can actually drink with a straw.

The Yankees are a family tradition. You can blame my Irish Catholic, East Coast-looking grandfather for that. He grew up with Joltin' Joe, my dear uncle grew up with the Mick, my old man grew up with Reggie and the Bronx Zoo, and it was all projected on to me (pinstriped pajamas in the cradle), where I spent my formative years watching Don Mattingly struggle through back injuries, the commissioner ban Steinbrenner for hiring a gambler to spy on his own players, and the team breaking my heart in '95 in Seattle (still worse than the Arizona or the Red Sox meltdowns for me, because it was my first taste of playoffs). Jeter came up when I was fourteen, they won the Series that year, and its been my primary sports obsession ever since.

My family also cheers for Notre Dame football. So there's obviously something of a theme going on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Originalbob View Post
    Mitch, why don't you want to have your own biological children, despite pleads from our boy for a little sister (which is heart renching and fucking adorable!)? Mind you, he was requesting this ever before watching Babies for the first time and just recently.

What was your most recent dream you recall and why do you think you had it?

Would you ever sit in a kiddie pool full of instant potatoes for the hell of it? What if you were paid? If you were the only individual to sit in it, would you take a delicious finger scoop?
    I am terrified of the moral responsibility of bringing another life into existence. It is hard for me to explain, but the existential consequences of biological parenthood have always been incredibly frightening to me. There are also the selfish reasons of not wanting to extend parenthood for an even longer period of time. There is the fear I would screw up the kid, which is ironic, obviously, because I have now become a parent without intending to (or actually procreating), and I seem to be doing okay. By the way, I told him before bad last night that I would consider getting him a cat instead of a little sister.

Not to belabor the legal aspect of my life, but my most recent dream was about the Supreme Court the night before the Affordable Care Act decisions came down. I had a dream that the Act was overturned, work up, fell asleep, and had another that it was upheld. It was obviously on my mind before bed because I knew the Court would be releasing it first thing the next morning. I am a nerd.

I had a chance to sit in mashed potatoes during "Spud Day," an annual festival in the town I grew up in. I always declined. I love mashed potatoes, but I hate messes. I could probably be paid to do it, or cajoled through the right amount of peer pressure. I would only eat them if they were sanitary, made with milk and butter (and not just water), and I had salt and pepper.

Please explain specifically what kind of lawyer you are and what level of the machine you work on so that I can blast your asshole with ethical dilemmas. Thank you.
    Randy, I am a deputy county attorney. My clients include the County's health department (which does everything from small-scale public health clinics, to health code inspections, to regulatory licensing, to environmental regulation), and its department of behavioral health services, which provides mental health and substance abuse services. In the chain of command, there is the elected District Attorney for the county, his chief civil law deputy, a unit chief that oversees the health department as a whole, and then me. My clients include elected officials as well as assorted bureaucrats, regulators, and program administrators.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    Mitch, may I call you that?

Have you ever found yourself repeating your name in different character voices? If not, would you try it in a public place for your first time doing it?
    Yep, you can call me Mitch. Nope, I haven't tried that, and I probably wouldn't in public. Though I have done silly voices in public before. Larry David. The guy from Storage Wars who says "Yuuuuuuup." Referring to myself by name in a different voice is a bit too far down the mental health continuum for my taste.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Mitch, what two lawyer/law type movie actor/characters have you seen that have done the best job and worst job of depicting what your profession is really like?
    Best job: George Clooney in Michael Clayton. He gets the depressing aspects of the job, the moral ambiguity, and the desperation that many of us face. Tilda Swinton is also dead-on in that movie as the perfectionist type who is cracking underneath the surface. Again, the law is not as bad as portrayed in the movie (or at least it is not for me), but it provides some needed corrective to the image of lawyers most commonly portrayed in fiction as either a) genius/hero types or b) pure slimeballs. The worst job are all of those Grisham movies that focus on the hero/slimeball duality of the profession.
    Last edited by Miroir Noir; 07-03-2012 at 11:00 AM.