Page 408 of 454 FirstFirst ... 403404405406407408409410411412413 ... LastLast
Results 12,211 to 12,240 of 13591

Thread: Get to know your fellow board members....

Default Re: Get to know your fellow board members....

Elementary school art tool of choice: Markers, crayons or colored pencils?

When does that White chocolate beer get released again?
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Perfume Genius @ The Independent 10/21/14
    Moodymann @ PW 10/25/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14
    The Drive by Truckers, Sturgill Simpson @ The Fillmore 11/20/14
    Caribou @The Fillmore 03/01/14

Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    If you glazed over this once, read it again if you are interested in film. This is not only present in his local area , but everywhere unless you're financed (and production is pretty much owned) by a studio. It can be hell. Especially all the free/deferred work people have to "offer"...

I feel like we could have some interesting conversations regarding the various jobs involved in film making...
    Yeah, that'd be cool. In what capacity do you generally work on films? Do you do that exclusively for a living or do you have a day job to pay the bills?

Have you experienced any backstabbing/theft from a close colleague and if so what happened?
    I'm embarrassed to say that a guy I met in college bilked me out of $1,000 when I was 22. He came into the film program at my school having already made a movie that had supposedly been to Cannes. He'd even been covered in an article in the local newspaper touting him as a Cannes veteran at the ripe age of 23. (Turned out to be bullshit -- he was in Cannes at the time that the festival was going on, but he wasn't in competition. In fact, I don't think Cannes even does short films, which is all that he had to peddle at the time.) So he attracted a crowd of acolytes based on this lie, along with the fact that his dad was apparently a millionaire entrepeneur from Shanghai, meaning that he was flush with money and had a wide array of lenses to make his XL-1-shot films look better than what everyone else was able to pull off. I got a producer credit on his 2nd film but really served as more of a production manager/assistant director. There was some drama on that production (got into a shouting match with the DP, who worked on Hollywood films and comported himself accordingly, then went fucking mental and slaughtered the wall in my room for half an hour, making me think I broke my hand; when I went to the hospital, the doctor who was supposed to see me pissed me off so I left, then went back on set that afternoon without having slept in something stupid like 60 hours, and the cocksucker prop master was talking shit so I ended up leaving because I wanted to kill him and had the cops called on me when I went to this mental health facility but managed to talk them out of committing me) but we remained on decent terms, particularly because I bought his promises of loyalty to the people who were with him from the beginning and he talked a good game about being able to get meetings with Dean Devlin. (Ooh, Dean fucking Devlin. Easy to scoff now but it was impressive when I was idealistic and ambitious a decade younger.) I had this script that was horrible but that I had blinders on about at the time and thought I would have a legitimate chance to get funding for. He'd supposedly gotten funding for a project via a prospectus he had some associates put together for him. He said he could get me a friend price from them to put together a prospectus for me -- $1,000. I borrowed the money from my grandparents and a wealthy-ish tio. (Never paid either back, which I feel horrible about.) I didn't scour it as thoroughly as I should have immediately after I got it back -- I was holding off on trying to pitch it to anyone because I wanted to take another pass at the script (and ended up realizing how awful it was & decided to abandon it). When I finally did look at it a year later, I realized that 20 pages in, it wasn't a prospectus for my film but rather for one of his films. There were characters cited who weren't in my film and the plot was wildly different. By that time, he had left to Hollywood and I didn't have the wherewithal to try to sue him, especially since the onus was on me for not having paid better attention when it was first given to me.

With everyone you work with, have you found permanent members of your film crew dream team? Do you spend time with these people outside of work?
    The DP on Somewhat Damaged was awesome and I'd love to work with him again. He opened his own production company in Tucson after we shot my film and seemed to be doing pretty well. He just moved to LA and he's talented, driven, and affable enough to be successful. I would like to work with my producer from that film again as well but she seems to be out of the game -- she recently went into a partnership on a sushi restaurant in Tucson, is pregnant with her 2nd kid, and is apparently getting married. We hung out pretty often when I was down in Tucson and she made it out to the screenings we had for the film in Phoenix and New York. Lastly would be the editor on Method. I get along well with him and we've gone out for beers & seen movies together. I gave him the drive that Somewhat Damaged is on so he could do the opening credits again -- hopefully we'll be able to hang out this weekend to work on that.

What part of the process (other than presenting the work) tears your brain out?
    Trying to pitch a project to people I don't know to get them excited about working on it, due to the social awkwardness I described previously and the lack of confidence I sometimes have in my ideas.

How is your relationship with your blood family regarding your career choice when you first started? How do they feel about it now?
    Union(s)?
    I was identified as being smarter than everyone else in my family from a pretty early age so my parents always gave me a lot of latitude with what I wanted to do. They're very supportive even if I make films that I know make them uncomfortable or that they won't understand. (The mockumentary nature of Method confused my dad. He's not really familiar with films like that.)

No unions. Not really worth it in Arizona as far as I'm concerned. We don't get enough Hollywood productions here.

Quote Originally Posted by lt.roast.a.botch View Post
    Is there an album that you would like to adapt into a screenplay?
    Portishead's Third, although I had a better idea of what that would've entailed 4 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Boogie Nights is on my "if I see this on I will stop whatever I am doing and watch it all the way to the end, again" list with Goodfellas and Apocalypse Now. And probably Groundhog Day. Boogie Nights is just unbelievably great scene after unbelievably great scene. It's so ambitious and ridiculous that it should fall apart, but it never does.

Here's one: worst Coachella set time conflict of all time? Also: best Coachella experience not directly involving music?
    After hearing the bootleg of Leftfield's set from 2011, I'm tempted to say them vs. PJ Harvey. My #1 and 2 acts for the day and they fucking conflict. Then Sasha & Digweed vs. Portishead/Prince was brutal, as was Sasha vs. Robyn. Goldenvoice always undercuts the favor they're doing for me by booking Sasha by then scheduling him against the one fucking act (or 2, in 2008's case) that I want to see more. I managed to make it over to the Sahara for maybe 10-15 minutes of both of those sets but all that really did was serve to make me regret the conflicts even more since I knew I wasn't doing them/him any justice by catching such a small portion. However, the one conflict that gutted me to the point that I was depressed at the fest was Chemical Brothers/Coldplay in 2005. That was the year I went with the girl I was in love with & whose ticket I bought, along with a couple of other friends. They all wanted to see Coldplay, and while I liked Coldplay at the time (shut up), I was more intent on seeing the Chemical Brothers. But I was really pussy whipped and didn't want to be by myself very much, especially as it would mean time spent away from her, so I committed to catching just the first half of the Chems and then meeting back up with them for the second half of Coldplay. By the time I got to the Sahara, the crowd was pouring out of the sides and I couldn't even get inside, and if I recall correctly, this was before they opened up the sides of the tent so I couldn't even really see the stage/light show very well. Ended up being depressed for the entire 15 minutes that I was there, left to meet up with Sarah and our friends, but I had gotten so despondent that being around them wasn't any comfort either. Shitty end to the night.

Best Coachella experience not directly involving music was all the sex I had in 2008. (You didn't say it had to be on the festival grounds.)

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    What did you want to be as a child?
    Apparently a doctor, if my family's to be believed. I don't really remember. I was a ham from pretty early on, though, acting in plays at school and church. I always seemed to migrate towards arts-related stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by kitt kat View Post
    Crayons. Was really proud of a bird I drew with a blue crayon on my grandparents' wall when I was 5. They were less proud.
    Last edited by Somewhat Damaged; 06-27-2012 at 09:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    In his defense I do remember there being an upsurge of black coworker on white coworker exlaxings in LA after Rodney King.

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    When does that White chocolate beer get released again?
    It's not seasonal, so you can get it any time of year. They even have it at the Fresh & Easy by our house. You should have Tall Chris pick a couple up for you next time his job brings him out this way. (It's Sonoran Brewing Company White Chocolate Ale, and since they're based in Arizona, it's not available outside of the state. Here's a link to where it can be picked up: http://www.sonoranbrewing.com/locations.php.)
    In his defense I do remember there being an upsurge of black coworker on white coworker exlaxings in LA after Rodney King.

Rick,
    I really need you to think about this and respond in a timely manner. Please describe your most perfect day. From start to finish. Morning to evening.

Actually, you may take your time. I am very patient.
    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixiessp View Post
    Rick,
    I really need you to think about this and respond in a timely manner. Please describe your most perfect day. From start to finish. Morning to evening.
    Beginning at midnight, I prepare the coffee for the following morning and go to bed. My neck doesn't hurt, Jennifer isn't snoring, and I'm able to fall asleep in 5 minutes.

I wake up at 7 and am immediately alert. Jen's going to sleep till 8:30 so I go downstairs with the compulsion to write. I have a FiberPlus Caramel Coconut Fudge bar to tide me over till breakfast and get a good 90 minutes of writing in. The cats remain upstairs and don't bother me with their meowing to be let outside.

I hear Jen stirring so I turn the coffee on. (I don't drink any myself.) We drive to Matt's Big Breakfast and not only is there no traffic on the road, there isn't anybody in line at the restaurant so we're seated immediately. I have an orange juice and the special of the day, an omelette with spinach and mushrooms and red baby potatoes on the side. The waitress informs us that we're the 1,000,000th customer so our meal is on the house and she declines the $10 bill I go to hand her for a tip.

We go to Zia Record Exchange and they're playing Massive Attack's Mezzanine over the speakers. Jen finds an original vinyl of Depeche Mode's Violator in pristine condition and for really cheap. Meanwhile, I locate the final copy of a DVD boxed set that Goldenvoice recently, finally released compiling the best performances in Coachella history, all in their entirety: Portishead, Daft Punk, Fever Ray, et al. With the purchase, I also get 13 shirts (which are exactly my size and will never shrink or fade) with the line-ups of all the Coachellas listed on the back. My Zia Rewards points are so substantial that the damage is less than $50.

We return home and promptly watch the Portishead performance, which is so powerful that I have a flashback to the mushroom trip I had at that set. That inspires me to want to get some Ecstasy, which I'm able to procure in a single phone call.

Andy, Becca, & Tommy all arrive on the same flight and we pick them up from the airport. Hungry for lunch, Jen checks her phone to determine where we should eat and discovers that Fronimo's -- a Greek restaurant in Tucson that makes the most insanely delicious rice I've ever had and that I rhapsodize about without much provocation -- has not only opened a 2nd location, but that the 2nd location is less than 5 minutes away from our house. Gyro plus rice, please.

Back at the house, we shoot the shit and have beers (Sonoran Brewery White Chocolate Ale) while Jen's Violator vinyl plays in the background. I haven't mentioned it yet but it's a lovely fall day out, high of 70, so no need for the air conditioner. Around 4pm, we start to get ready for what the evening has in store.

We're out the door by 4:30 (in a perfect world, everybody gets ready as quickly as I do) and arrive at the Crescent Ballroom to find that there's a parking spot right in front of the door. No putting quarters in a meter or having to use the pay lot across the street for us. We go inside and are not only seated immediately, but our waitress has an innate sense of what we want to drink and already has a round ready for us. It's surprisingly dead -- we're the only patrons present until other people from the board start showing up: TomAZ, Ivy, Randy, amyzzz, IFA, downingthief, M Sparks, faxman, sin213, mountmccabe, suprefan, ThomThom, TallGuyCM, hawkingvsreeve, Pixiessp, guedita, shakermaker, greghead, algunz, unknown, SoulDischarge, Alchemy, westcoastpirate, et al. Yes, my Crescent Ballroom music festival is a reality and the invite list is comprised entirely of people from this board, many of whom have managed to make the trek out to Phoenix to enjoy what promises to be an unforgettable night of music. They have also all signed pledges to not talk obnoxiously during the sets or do anything else that would generally be considered annoying.

The Crescent Ballroom lounge all to ourselves, people flit around from table to table for a couple of hours. Randy & Tommy engage in a game of comedic one-upsmanship, each trying to be funnier than the other, much to the delight of those within earshot. At 7pm, we shuffle into the back portion of the venue for the first act, Twin Shadow. He performs for an hour and is incredible. There's a crackerjack stage crew on hand so we've only got to wait 20 minutes for the next performer, and during the lull, the wait staff fills everybody's drink order briskly. At 8:20, like clockwork, Fiona Apple takes the stage and tears into a 90-minute set of her best material. People are moved to tears by her heartbreaking renditions of "Love Ridden" and "I Know" and "Never Is a Promise." When she finally takes her final bow at 9:50, everybody is floored and questioning whether they even want to stay for the final performance of the evening, wondering how any act could possibly follow what Fiona just did. And of course, with the company present and alcohol flowing freely, everybody does in fact choose to stay and at 10:15, their patience is rewarded with the first US show by the Knife in, what? A decade? However long it's been, they're in top form and do a two-hour set with a brief intermission in the middle. During the first half of the set, they play tunes like "Heartbeats" and "Like a Pen" the same way the songs appear on their respective albums, upbeat and dance-y. In the second half, they do some Fever Ray covers ("Keep the Streets Empty for Me," "Now's the Only Time I Know") and repeat some of the songs from the first half of the set (i.e. "Heartbeats") but in the same style employed during the Silent Shout tour.

12:15 comes, the concert is over, and everybody lingers for a while, collectively basking in the afterglow. Despite the considerable consumption of alcohol, everybody's fine to drive home safely. A few people follow us to our house for a little after-party, where our White Chocolate Ale keg keeps everybody drinking through the wee hours of the morning. The sun's peeking over the horizon, it's 22 hours since I woke up, and I decide to call it a night.
    Last edited by Somewhat Damaged; 06-28-2012 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    Yeah, that'd be cool. In what capacity do you generally work on films? Do you do that exclusively for a living or do you have a day job to pay the bills?
    Originally approached LA with acting/performing. Started doing more behind the camera jobs and have done some post also. Focusing on producing/writing right now in addition to acting. I find a lot of positions have their perks, I'm currently trying to help a few productions fly off the ground and I hope just constant work from there. I'm sure you know the feeling of when a long shoot is almost over and you don't know whats next. So yeah, I pretty much do film stuff for a living, I couldn't work a "real" day job.

That is one excellent day you have there Rick.
    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

If you had to be one character from Reservoir Dogs who would it be????
    Translation

Moodymann @ PW 10/25/14

Last.fm

Hey Rick. First, what's the worst physical pain you ever experienced and what's the story?

And what are 5 movies that most would label terrible that you love? A little on why you love them please.

I told Rick that if he wants more participation in here, he needs to show his tits in tinychat.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

ACT LIKE YOU KNOW
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    I told Rick that if he wants more participation in here, he needs to show his tits in tinychat.
    This explains so much.

In all seriousness, Greg, Courtney, and Rick have all brought it the last few weeks. This thread has actually been readable.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

What's the largest woman (or man) you've ever porked? (answer carefully...)
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    If you had to be one character from Reservoir Dogs who would it be????
    Mr. Blonde. I've always wanted to be a sadistic fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by ivankay View Post
    Hey Rick. First, what's the worst physical pain you ever experienced and what's the story?
    I've never broken any bones but I did suffer a concussion my freshman year in high school. I was on the football team and during practice, I got chop blocked and had my head stepped on. Missed the rest of the season. (It was already halfway through, we were winless & would remain that way, and I barely got any playing time anyway. No big loss, really.)

Quote Originally Posted by ivankay View Post
    And what are 5 movies that most would label terrible that you love? A little on why you love them please.
    I'll answer this tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    What's the largest woman (or man) you've ever porked? (answer carefully...)
    This bitch when I was 22. Met her online through, like, Yahoo Personals or something. Looked decent enough in her profile picture (no double chin to suggest she was overweight; don't recall what she described her body type as) so we scheduled a date to meet at the mall & watch Drumline. When I first caught a glimpse of her from afar, I considered leaving. She was really short, like maybe 5', and easily weighed 250, if not more. She looked like Danny DeVito's Penguin from Batman Returns. But I wasn't exactly swimming in pussy at the time and I figured that since I was the more attractive one, I'd probably get laid, so I stuck around. She was very sweet and nice, but she was also dreadfully boring and kind of dim, so I didn't care to hang out with her much after the movie. Got horny that night & called her up instead of jerking off. After getting blown, I told her I didn't go down on girls. (I'd had a horrible experience with the first girl I was with a few years earlier -- nearly gagged from the odor -- and didn't anticipate that her snatch was going to smell any better.) She was cool with that, like it was expected. Bought a box of condoms and went through that with her over the next couple of weeks, but I felt like such a piece of shit because I didn't have any feelings for her and would have been embarrassed if any of my friends had seen me out with her. There was a bunch of other shit going on at the time as well -- my uncle died of AIDS, I was in a car accident, I got strep throat and had a canker sore on my tongue at the same time -- and the stress drove me to the hospital. Spent a couple weeks in there, including New Year's, and I just stopped calling after I got out because I figured that whole situation wasn't doing me any favors.

Quote Originally Posted by kitt kat View Post
    Colored pencils hands down. Fuckin' crayons always break and then they don't color evenly. I hated those things. Then the makers they gave you were always trashed. There was always that kid who smashed the tip and colored with the yellow over the black just to piss everyone else off. Colored pencils stayed true to you. They were always your friend as long as you had a pencil sharpener and low and behold! They put one next to every door in the school because they knew you loved to color. Plus, they could shade. Markers can't do that.

Amma-sol, The questions are for Somewhat Damaged, who is the board member of the week.
    Because fucking millenials that's what

SD: What is the most scared you have ever been in your life?
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post

I told her I didn't go down on girls. (I'd had a horrible experience with the first girl I was with a few years earlier -- nearly gagged from the odor -- and didn't anticipate that her snatch was going to smell any better.)
    I just feel the need to clarify here that MY snatch hasn't caused him any problems.

Jesus, TMI.

How is pointing out my non smelly snatch TMI but you stating that you fantasize about beastiality not?

One is purported to be actually happening at some point, while the other never will happen.

What a shitty thing to say, Amy. If she says her snatch is not smelly, let's take her word for it, not say that it will never happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing!

At times, I find Rick's candidness refreshing but not so much today.

Relax Amy. Have a glass of wine and head down to the Humane Society.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Amma-sol, The questions are for Somewhat Damaged, who is the board member of the week.
    No he is the chosen board member we are getting know this week. This is clearly different from BMoW.

What is the best personal example of an movie you thought was really crappy in the first half and ended up being one your more favorable movies because of the second half?
    Translation

Moodymann @ PW 10/25/14

Last.fm

Rick. Can you tell us about a movie that you thought was average for the first 20%, got a little bit worse for the next 35%, was amazing during the next 30%, and absolutely sucked for the last 15%?