Page 404 of 454 FirstFirst ... 399400401402403404405406407408409 ... LastLast
Results 12,091 to 12,120 of 13591

Thread: Get to know your fellow board members....

Default Re: Get to know your fellow board members....

I hope I make the list!
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by downingthief View Post
    How about a minstrel? Every group needs one of those.

Also, Hi Courtney. Long time admirer, first time questioner.

Who would you point to as the most influential person in your life, as of now? Can you pinpoint a certain moment that really stands out?
    Awwww.

I think I would say the most influential person in my life thus far would be my mother. I sort of wish that I had something more interesting to say here (JFK! Lady Gaga!) but you can't deny the amount of time any child spends with a parent during formative years and the way that experience molds you. Sean, you of all people, as a dad, are probably the last person I need to explain that to. My mother has been an influence in watching her kind spirit, passion for knowledge, and selfless attitude. I'm also pretty sure that all the galleries she took me to and art supplies she gave me must have served some sort of formative role in my love of fine arts. However, I think watching her has also been influential in demonstrating what I DON'T want to with my life: I don't want to be a pushover, for example. I also think she and I share some of the same negative traits. We are both independent to the point whete we may neglect to ask for help even when we should. We are both also bad at verbalizing problems or dissatisfactions, and are more likely to internalize issues and let them brew inside us. I can't really point to one specific moment in time that was particularly influential or notable, but I do think her influence is pervasive in pretty much every aspect of me.

Quote Originally Posted by kitt kat View Post
    If you could curate a museum exhibit encompassing any artistic movement, theme, idea or otherwise, what would it be and which artists would you include? Share images of three works that would be the "centerpieces" of the exhibit. (I'm leaving this as open-ended as you'd like. It could be as broad as "Abstraction in America" or "New York in the 80s" or as narrow as that lovely Women and Surrealist art exhibit that just closed at LACMA. Not an artist retrospective, though.)
    I have curated a couple exhibits before, but never without a carte blanche on the budget so this will be fun. I'm thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    I feel like you guys just get to know the same five board members over and over in a repeat cycle.
    Let the record show that I have never before been featured in this thread. I participated in "Board Member of the Week" which was a different thread with completely different people. Also, that was like 5 years ago and shit changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    What is the best thing about living in Hawaii? The worst?
    Best: The fact that I can go out and enjoy an abolutely stunning natural environment 365 days per year. While wearing flip flops.

Worst: This is a tie between the cost of living (fuck $8 gallons of milk) and the experience of being genuinely racially discriminated against. Although I suppose in some weird way I would also count the discrimination factor as a good thing, because what better way to make white people less of jerks than to make them feel what it's like to be automatically disliked just because of what you look like.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Worst: This is a tie between the cost of living (fuck $8 gallons of milk) and the experience of being genuinely racially discriminated against. Although I suppose in some weird way I would also count the discrimination factor as a good thing, because what better way to make white people less of jerks than to make them feel what it's like to be automatically disliked just because of what you look like.
    Well that answers my question I just came in here to ask about how much crap for being a haole girl you get.

So I'll ask this instead. What is the strangest food you have ever eaten?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

What is your favorite sitcom from each decade, beginning with the 80's up to now? It doesn't have to be a live audience one (ie The Office or Scrubs) if you don't want.

What have you been/are you addicted to?

What is the weirdest movie you've ever seen?

What is your favorite stand up comedian and why?
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    It's really boring when people use this thread to post about their successes.
    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    ...... hey im not posting anything in here about half raptor half alligator people

If you could curate a museum exhibit encompassing any artistic movement, theme, idea or otherwise, what would it be and which artists would you include? Share images of three works that would be the "centerpieces" of the exhibit. (I'm leaving this as open-ended as you'd like. It could be as broad as "Abstraction in America" or "New York in the 80s" or as narrow as that lovely Women and Surrealist art exhibit that just closed at LACMA. Not an artist retrospective, though.)
    This is tough. My area of specialization is Early Modern Europe, so that's the area I have the most experience curating in. However, for this complete fantasy exhibit I am going to imagine that size and budget are of no concern, nor are geographical location nor chronology.

My exhibit would be titled "Step Into The Void: The Architecture of Emptiness" and it would include a variety of post-modern and contemporary artists who have explored themes involving space, structure, removal and negation. The title is a play on the famous Yves Klein photograph titled Jump into The Void. I would include artists such as Michael Heizer, Richard Serra, Bruce Nauman and Fred Sandback. The three anchor works would be:

1. James Turrell, Roden Crater, 1979 - ongoing

2. Gordon Matta-Clark, Splitting, 1974

3. Rachel Whiteread, House, 1993

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    If you could curate your own festival, how many days would it be, where would you hold it, what would your attendance cap be, what would you name it, and who would be your 5 top-billed acts for each day?
    My festival would be on President's Day weekend, Saturday, February 16 and Sunday, February 17, 2013 at the Kona Village Resort in Kona on the Big Island of Hawaii. The Kona Village Resort was actually closed down in 2011 following the Tsunami, but due to the financial backing of my festival, the hotel would be brought back to all its retro Polynesian village glory with thatched huts for all the guests, pools, beach-side terraces, and an outdoor amphitheater and tiered indoor ballroom to serve as the two primary stages.

The festival would be relatively small, capped at 1200 audience members, and all attendees and bands would stay on-site. The lineup would be as follows:

SATURDAY
    Tijuana Panthers
    Yuck
    Sleater-Kinney
    Tiger Trap
    Bikini Kill

SUNDAY
    Wavves
    Surfer Blood
    Beach House
    The Vivian Girls
    The Beach Boys

Courtney, do you have any guilty-pleasure authors you like to read? (for example, I love Stephen King)

Rothko's central appeal seems to be the effect of the painting upon the viewer -- an experience art viewers often describe as spiritual or transcendental. Rothko was trained during a time when surrealism was at its height, and it was his belief that painting had lost its vitality. He read quite a lot of Freud and Jung, and so the ideal of the collective unconscious was rooted firmly in his early work. Later, he read Nietzsche, and experimented with ideas of emptiness in his mid-career paintings. However, what he is perhaps best know for is his late career color field paintings: large-scale canvases filled with blocks of contrasting color on a painting ground. He creates these with thinly pigmented, rapid strokes built up on canvas to create intensely dense colors. Viewers often talk about the way the colors "vibrate" against each other, and how the scale of the painting works to envelop the viewer him/herself. For me personally, I find the paintings beautiful, but I also find them interesting within their sociopolitical context. Rothko (nee Rothkowitz) was a first-generation Russian immigrant, and also Jewish, so his choice towards abstract expressionism is especially interesting within the context of McCarthy era politics.
    Reading this made me flashback to the passages that would show up on the MCAT verbal section. Wish I had your brain during that section, it always bit me in the ass.

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Offspring/Pennywise/Bad Religion 8/31, Swans 9/8, Modest Mouse 9/26, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    FYF Fest 8/23-24, Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

any fears/phobias? have you ever faced any of them?

if you could change your hair to any color (excluding your natural color), what would it be?
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

Courtney, I would attend both your art exhibition and your festival. I love Kona.

I would attend the art exhibition, but Courtney and I seem to differ on music tastes, so no fest for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Courtney, list your 5 least favorite currently active board members, and describe why they made your list.
    This is a difficult question for me, because it makes me very uncomfortable to actually tell someone I DON'T LIKE YOU. I'm also pretty sensitive, and try to go by the golden rule of only dishing out what you can take, and I sometimes can't take much. Moreover, I don't really pay much attention to the folks who I think don't contribute anything interesting/meaningful to the board, so I probably couldn't even put names to the board members who would technically be my least favorites. So instead I'm going to name a few whose names I do know by virtue of the fact that they do occasionally post something useful/smart/funny/whatever, but those bits are outweighed by other stuff.

1 & 2. Mugwog/Goatchella: I'm sorry, but I honestly don't know the difference between these two. Their humor is a little bit too Beavis and Butthead for me, and I just think we are in very different parts of our lives in terms of interests and priorities.

3. SlowMotionApocalypse: I think this must just be a really effective alias for some regular having a good laugh.

4. bluemamba: I don't really know this guy at all, but I have to make it to #5 and I can't think of any sort of interactions I've had with bluemamba that have been positive.

5. NachoCat: I think that it's probably just that he's still young, but I can think of at least a couple times when NachoCat has been really ridiculously black and white and critical about personal stuff that's sort of touchy, and I find that kind of polar, My-Way-Is-The-Right-Way thinking to be really obnoxious.

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post

THE LIST

GTKYFBM

Week 1- sbessiso Post #1
    Week 2 - Mr. Dylanja Post #234
    Week 3 - allyjoy Post #422
    Week 4 - MissingPerson Post #791
    Week 5 - miscorrections Post #1007
    Week 6 - downingthief Post #1254
    Week 7 - Gonshman Post #1503
    Week 8 - Feather Post #1660
    Week 9 - Mr Nipples Post #2189
    Week 9.5 - Geno_guerrero Post #2355
    Week 10 - SoulDischarge Post #2458
    Week 11 - chairmenmeow47 Post #2606
    Week 12 - MeowMixer Post #2733
    Week 13 - BrettShipes Post #3131
    Week 14 - marooko Post #3186
    Week 15 - shakermaker113 Post #3266
    Week 16 - herro kitty Post #3478
    Week 17 - sonofhal Post #3606
    Week 18 - Rage Patton Post #3730
    Week 19 - TeamCoachellaHellYeah Post #3892
    Week 20 - TommyboyUNM Post #4067
    Week 21 - PC-2 Violence Post #4276
    Week 22 - HEADSTRUCK Post #4468
    Week 23 - boarderwoozel3 Post #4616
    Week 24 - fikus222 Post #4703
    Week 25 - forzapalermo04 Post #4762
    Week 26 - Sleepingrock Post #4850
    Week 27 - algunz Post #4902
    Week 28 - Pixiessp Post #5093
    Week 29 - stuporfly Post #5251
    Week 30 - JewFace Post #5356
    Week 31 - bmack86 Post #5538
    Week 32 - cubrocker Post #5593
    Week 33 - JClemy Post #5682
    Week 34 - captncrazy Post #5745
    Week 35 - cdubby Post #5813
    Week 36 - Coachella Bound Post #5842
    Week 37 - Devin the Dude Post #5952
    Week 38 - BrokenDoll Post #6048
    Week 39 - nbvcide Post #6182
    Week 40 - djandrews25 Post #6280
    Week 41 - Kingsblend420 Post #6370
    Week 42 - Blinken Post #6463
    Week 43 - Monklish Post #6512
    Week 44 - malcolmjamalawesome/DruggyFestivalGuyPost #6713
    Week 45 - Laura owns you Post #7010
    Week 46 - eskamo951 Post #7244
    Week 47 - Kitt Kat Post #7391
    Week 48 - Theijuiel Post #7505
    Week 49 - Vinylchella/Jayleigh Post #7573
    Week 50 - guedita Post #8319
    Week 51 - Weeklymix Post #8723
    Week 52 - hawkingvsreeve Post #8878
    Week 53 - Drinkey McDrinkerstein Post #9156
    Week 54 - lizng Post #9373
    Week 55 - locachica73 Post #9458
    Week 56 - M Sparks Post #9587
    Week 57 - daxton Post #9728
    Week 58 - full on idle Post #9800
    Week 59 - BlackSwan Post #10065
    Week 60 - buddy Post #10162
    Week 61 - Still-ill Post #10191
    Week 62 - I.F.A. Post #10233
    Week 63 - thecapsulettes Post #10311
    Week 64 - getbetter #10615
    Week 65 - GrossMagic #10754
    Week 66 - DANCEMAGIC Post #10815
    Week 67 - frazzles Post #10905
    Week 68 - koryp Post #10946
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    I feel like you guys just get to know the same five board members over and over in a repeat cycle.
    It probably seems like I'm singling you out lately, but you've been saying a lot of stupid shit lately.

Courtney, if you had five lifetimes as basically the same person and all the resources necessary to pursue them, what five occupations would you most like to try out? Conversely, what are the top five occupations that would make your life a total fucking nightmare? Try to be specific as opposed to like "retail" or "blue collar/white collar."
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Unrelated, but I hope I get to redo this at one point because...a lot has changed since I did this in 2009.

I need to think of another good question, but all I can think of is asking you about food things in Hawaii and if you like/dislike them.

Puka Dog?
    Kauai Kookies? (Specifically, guava macadamia nut. Those are my favs.)

This is a difficult question for me
    that was the point. tee hee. you're a trouper for answering -- even if you did load it up with enough caveats and disclaimers to make it sound like a used car ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I was just reading Coutney's answer and was really confused and then i reread the question and saw that it said "LEAST FAVORITE" and "MOST FAVORITE" and then I was like, "oh."
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Courtney, I actually have an etiquette question, but instead of re-bumping that thread to bug you, I'll just ask you here. A co-worker's adult brother passes away. You are on pleasant but entirely work-related terms with the co-worker, didn't know that he had a brother, and don't know the circumstances of the death. A third co-worker asks you to contribute $15 to purchase a "planter" for the grieving co-worker. Does proper etiquette require me to say yes to this (and other similar) requests?

I may be upset in part because $15 is a truly annoying amount of money: it is more than a nominal amount, but less than an amount which you can comfortably object to without appearing to looking cheap. It is also annoying because it will almost certainly require you to find change, or to have the other person make change for you.

Also, FWIW, I would unhesitatingly contribute a reasonable amount of money to recognize a co-worker grieving for a spouse, significant other, or child, even if I didn't know the co-worker or the circumstances.
    Last edited by Miroir Noir; 06-21-2012 at 03:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

I think NachoCat and Courtney are the same age, actually. Heh. Heh. Heh.

8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/11: Tomas Barfod @ The Rickshaw Stop
    9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Quote Originally Posted by unit300021 View Post
    Well that answers my question I just came in here to ask about how much crap for being a haole girl you get.

So I'll ask this instead. What is the strangest food you have ever eaten?
    I'll give you a top ten:

10. blood sausage
    9. beef tendon
    8. fugu
    7. tripe
    6. fish heads
    5. fruit bat
    4. natto
    3. goat brain
    2. maggots
    1. tuna eyeball

I actually quite enjoy all of the above with the exception of natto and maggots -- neither of which are my thing.

What does blood sausage taste like!?

Argh, stop saying "tendons".

Quote Originally Posted by RedHotSgtPeppers View Post
    What is your favorite sitcom from each decade, beginning with the 80's up to now? It doesn't have to be a live audience one (ie The Office or Scrubs) if you don't want.
    I don't like sitcoms. Unless Portlandia counts.

What have you been/are you addicted to?
    -buying books
    -using lip balm
    -this message board
    -checking my e-mail
    -Battlestar Gallactica
    -coffee
    -Aranciata
    -planning vacations
    -pressing the snooze button

What is the weirdest movie you've ever seen?
    I've seen most of John Waters' and David Lynch's films, most of which are pretty weird. However, I think the award goes to Terry Gilliam's Brazil, because seriously wtf.

What is your favorite stand up comedian and why?
    I'm a fan of Margaret Cho because I think the issues she addresses are relevant and her timing and delivery are spot-on. Also, I think most stand-up comedians are assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Courtney, do you have any guilty-pleasure authors you like to read? (for example, I love Stephen King)
    I have read the entire Twilight book series, and also the entire Sookie Stackhouse book series. Apparently I like bad vampire fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by xanman86 View Post
    Reading this made me flashback to the passages that would show up on the MCAT verbal section. Wish I had your brain during that section, it always bit me in the ass.
    Ha! Thank you. The verbal parts of standardized tests always came more naturally to me than the math sections. Quant tends to kick my butt.

I have read the entire Twilight book series, and also the entire Sookie Stackhouse book series. Apparently I like bad vampire fiction.
    Courtney, are you planning on seeing Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, and what do think is his bigger accomplishment the emancipation proclamation, or killing vampires at night while being a president of a divided country during the day?

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    any fears/phobias? have you ever faced any of them?
    I think I tend to have normal sorts of fears, but I'm not sure they count as phobias in the sense that they are no more pronounced than in most other normal folks. I feel a bit uncomfortable when I'm near snakes or extreme heights, and I don't particularly like large, hairy spiders either. Mice and rats don't bother me, nor do small enclosed spaces.

I guess the things that are perhaps less normal are that I absolutely HATE needles. I prefer having blood drawn to injections. I REALLY, REALLY HATE vaccinations. I can grin and bear it and get through it without breaking out in a cold sweat or running out of the room or something, but I definitely do tense up my muscles involuntarily and I can't look while it's happening. When I was around 10 years old, my family moved to Saudi Arabia and for some unknown reason thought it would be a good idea to take me in for all the required vaccinations at once -- all 16 of them -- so I had needles in both arms, both buttocks and both thighs. I'm pretty sure that's where my fear stems from.

I also can't stand packing, probably also due to moving around a lot against my wishes when I was growing up. Packing, either suitcases or boxes, makes me irrationally panicky. Even if I'm going on a trip for pleasure that I'm really looking forward to, I often delay packing until 45 minutes before I have to leave for the airport just because I can't bring myself to do it earlier because I hate it so much. Moving apartments is a pretty massive psychological exertion for me, and something I tend to self-medicate a lot to get through with alcohol and valium and stuff. It's not ideal, but you've got to do what you've got to do. I just moved out of my apartment at the end of May, in preparation for moving to Seattle next month, and I feel so much relief that all my stuff is in boxes and ready to go so hopefully I won't have to worry about that again for at least a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    if you could change your hair to any color (excluding your natural color), what would it be?
    If I could have the complexion to match, I would love to have perfectly white hair. I would want it to be beautifully healthy, not dry like older people's hair often gets. I think there's something so uniquely stunning about 100% white hair. Plus, we always want what we don't have, so at least with white hair it would be so incredibly easy to die pretty much any shade I desired.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I would attend the art exhibition, but Courtney and I seem to differ on music tastes, so no fest for me.
    Courtney, I would attend both your art exhibition and your festival. I love Kona.
    YES!

that was the point. tee hee. you're a trouper for answering -- even if you did load it up with enough caveats and disclaimers to make it sound like a used car ad.
    You are so cruel to me.