Page 403 of 454 FirstFirst ... 398399400401402403404405406407408 ... LastLast
Results 12,061 to 12,090 of 13591

Thread: Get to know your fellow board members....

Default Re: Get to know your fellow board members....

Quote Originally Posted by stuporfly View Post
    How did Vassar live up to your expectations, and what - if anything - did you see or experience there that shocked you?
    Vassar did live up to my expectations, yes. I chose the school because I wanted an academically rigorous experience with lots of personal attention from professors in a liberal academic environment on a beautiful campus with plentiful resources. I got all those things. By the time I started college, I had already attended boarding school for four years in high school, so nothing really shocked me anymore. Both my boarding school and my college were filled with rich, smart New York kids with a taste for debauchery. The only real difference was that the ones in high school were republican, and the ones in college were democrats. I had a sort of typical freshman year in college in that I partied a lot, and caused various mischief including some minor drug use, sexual exploration, etc etc. But nothing really all that surprising.

I guess if anything, what shocked me most was just how ridiculously stubborn and ignorant super liberal people can be. I am a registered democrat and have voted that way ever since I turned 18, but the politics at Vassar were very extreme. Seeing people trying to argue about things they had only a passing knowledge of was frustrating. And seeing these super smart people act so stupid was shocking for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Court, do you want to be buried or cremated when you die?
    I would like to be cremated. I feel no need to take up space in a funeral plot. I would like to have my loved ones use my ashes as an excuse to go somewhere nice to scatter them.

Quote Originally Posted by ivankay View Post
    Hi Courtney!

You are one of my favorite photographers that shares pictures here and elsewhere. What are 5 of your all time favorite concert shots you took? 5 all time non concert shots? And what are 3 of you favorite pictures taken by other photographers (living or dead)? Please share you thoughts about them.
    I'm not going to give you five of each, but I'll give you a handful. These are personal favorites and not necessarily the most technically proficient, but the ones that I personally enjoy the most.

This is from ATP NY 2010 at Kutsher's Resort in Monticello, NY. During the beginning of the lengthy set, I had already stood at the front and gotten some decent shots between all the smoke, so I decided to move towards the back for the rest of the set. I ran into some people, and somehow I ended up upstairs backstage for a bit before finding this little balcony booth which was probably intended for a projector attendant. I watched the rest of the set with the wife and young daughter of one of the musicians, and ended up snapping this shot at the end as they were receiving massive applause from the crowd. It was a fantastic set.

I took this while driving through the California desert. I don't even know why I like it. I guess something about the juxtaposition of the crisp sign and the cracked pavement, as well as the expansive emptiness. I also really like the way the reds play against each other in the composition.

This is my cousin Jamie. I like the photograph because it captures her spirit so well. She is one of the most naturally joyful, free-spirited, mischievous children I have met. I took this at a country club out in the Hamptons the day before her grandmother's funeral. The grass was so green, and the sun was just about to set so the sky was this perfect sort of milky pink. She is named after her grandmother, and it makes me happy to look at this photograph because I think her grandmother lives on through Jamie.

I took this shot outside of my favorite bar in the Chinatown district of Honolulu. I stepped right over the sidewalk before doubling back to read more closely. I like the contrast of textures in this shot, and the discovery of unexpected beauty in a sort of gritty urban landscape. When most people think of Hawaii, they think of beaches and palm trees, but this is my Hawaii.

When you play Monopoly, which game piece do you go for and why?

You are one of my favorite photographers that shares pictures here and elsewhere. What are 5 of your all time favorite concert shots you took? 5 all time non concert shots? And what are 3 of you favorite pictures taken by other photographers (living or dead)? Please share you thoughts about them.
    For photographs by other photographers, I thought about choosing classics by folks like Henri Cartier-Bresson, Walker Evans, Robert Frank, Weegee or Gary Winogrand. However, I decided that I'm going to go for my personal favorites as above and not worry so much about historical importance or technical merit, and instead just worry about what I personally like. For my personal tastes, I tend to skew towards modern and contemporary, especially stuff by Nan Goldin, Cindy Sherman, Berndt and Hilla Becher, Vik Muniz, and Sophie Calle. However, I'd say that on today specifically, I'll chose this photograph by Andreas Gursky as exemplary of my favorites:

Gursky is a contemporary German photographer who is well know for doing large-scale color photography of urban landscapes. In the early 2000s, he completed a series at 99 cent stores. The entire series is shot from an above perspective, and he often further enhances the expansiveness of the stores through digital photo manipulation. People often interpret the photographs as a commentary on consumerism in contemporary society, but I also find them physically beautiful in addition to being mentally stimulating.

Great choices. Feel free to add more if the urge comes up. i know you have lots of great shots.

The world is going to end and you have been chosen to pick 3 pieces of art that were the most important the human race ever had to offer. It does not matter how large or fragile they are. They will successfully be preserved for future alien cultures to try to get a grasp on us. On top of that, 5 selections of music.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    In a single paragraph, please describe the appeal of Mark Rothko's work, along with your personal opinion.
    Rothko's central appeal seems to be the effect of the painting upon the viewer -- an experience art viewers often describe as spiritual or transcendental. Rothko was trained during a time when surrealism was at its height, and it was his belief that painting had lost its vitality. He read quite a lot of Freud and Jung, and so the ideal of the collective unconscious was rooted firmly in his early work. Later, he read Nietzsche, and experimented with ideas of emptiness in his mid-career paintings. However, what he is perhaps best know for is his late career color field paintings: large-scale canvases filled with blocks of contrasting color on a painting ground. He creates these with thinly pigmented, rapid strokes built up on canvas to create intensely dense colors. Viewers often talk about the way the colors "vibrate" against each other, and how the scale of the painting works to envelop the viewer him/herself. For me personally, I find the paintings beautiful, but I also find them interesting within their sociopolitical context. Rothko (nee Rothkowitz) was a first-generation Russian immigrant, and also Jewish, so his choice towards abstract expressionism is especially interesting within the context of McCarthy era politics.
    Last edited by Courtney; 06-19-2012 at 07:53 PM.

^ Loved this. Rothko is one of my all time favorites.

Who are your top 5 favorite artists, and what is your favorite piece from each respectively?
    Um, this is an impossible question and the answer probably changes daily. But for today:

5. Velazquez, Rokeby Venus, c. 1650

4. Walter de Maria, Lightning Field, 1977

3. Kiki Smith, Kourai, 2005

2. Chardin, The Ray, 1728

1. Manet, Gare St. Lazare, 1872

Two all time favorite photographs? One taken by you, and one taken by someone else.
    I think I already covered this with Mike's question, but let me know if you want me to elaborate.

What is your favorite piece of architecture?
    This is a tough one, but I'm quite partial to the Beinecke Library at Yale. I favor it both for sentimental reasons, because I have spent many hours researching old manuscripts in their archives, and also because it's absolutely a stunning building and one of the few buildings I know intimately that is as lovely to occupy as it is to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Why business school?
    My admission application answer: As champion of the arts who has worked in museums and other nonprofit arts organizations for the past years, I have had a front seat into the damage caused by the recent economic climate and the fine line that nonprofit arts organizations walk between financial success and failure. In my two most recent jobs, gross inefficiencies stemming from mismanagement and poor allocation of resources has led to crippled organizations that are failing to do much good in the communities they aim to serve. I want to attend business school so that I can equip my professional "toolbox" with the essentials of accounting, finance, marketing and organizational behavior. Taking lessons from the business world, I would like to apply those standards to arts nonprofits to create a more viable model for success that would be able to streamline the organization and reduce inefficiencies to maximize the good contributed to its community.

My real answer: I am disillusioned and sick of being broke. I love the arts, but I refuse to contribute to a culture where the only employees who can live comfortably are trophy wives and trust fund kids. It's ridiculous that there are art museums out there who are hiring curators with PhDs and paying them less than the average Starbucks barista. In my recent jobs, I have seen mismanagement and gross incompetence. I have seen money basically washed down the drain because of lack of prioritization of projects and resources. I have seen organizations fail to address their mission statements and flounder in irrelevant side work and local politics. I'm sick of it. I'm going to business school to get my MBA because I want a way to make a career transition into the corporate sector. I want to work in an organization where employees are rewarded for good work and fired for incompetence. I want to work for an organization where they actually give raises, and there is opportunity for employee growth and advancement. I want a job that will actually pay me enough so that I don't have to worry about whether I can pay for my stupid health insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Where do you hope to be in five years?
    I would like to see myself working, probably either in consulting or marketing. I can see myself in a brand management position at a consumer goods company. In any case, I hope to be somewhere I feel challenged and appreciated, and where I can continue to grow and learn. I hope to be making enough money that I can live comfortably, and travel abroad occasionally. I would love to be living in a city I enjoy, such as Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, LA, Austin, New Orleans, Baltimore or New York. If it was feasible, I would like to be working towards buying some sort of property and settling down. I would hope to have a fabulous significant other who I adored, and a close circle of friends who I could rely on for support. And a dog too!

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    You used "significant other" instead of "husband" twice. Is this due to not believing in the institution of marriage, not being concerned with whether a boyfriend becomes a husband, or because there's a potential for the significant other to be a woman?
    I guess the latter two. I mean, I would like to be married, but it's not a huge priority. Having a companion that I can share things with is much more important than an arbitrary piece of paper and ring. I DO like to throw big parties, but I suppose that's a bad reason to go into a marriage.

And yes, I had a quite serious relationship with a woman a few years ago, so there is a possibility of that as well. I tend to date men more often, but I think that's perhaps more just due to convenience.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

This is something I have oft-wondered: Is it difficult being bi-sexual and dating someone who defines themselves as a homosexual? I know for a lot of gay people there's a lot more to deal with beyond simply behaving the way you feel naturally, there's an identity, a culture, etc, mostly because of the way the rest of mainstream society views homosexuality. i wonder if this kind of thing comes into play with a lesbian and a bi-sexual woman - like, are there issues that arise because you're not "committed" to the lifestyle? is that something that people talk or think about?
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    I didn't..

hi Courtney how are you? Please tell us a story about when you were the most embarassed ever by anything. Bonus points if the story involves sex.
    Hi Tom, I am good.

The puking in my professor's house story detailed above ranks pretty high on the embarrassment scale. I had an experience just last week involving unexpected menstrual timing and my gym's sauna and white towels that was also pretty bad. But I think the award goes to the experience of getting an anal fissure and having to explain to my doctor (while being examined back there) exactly why the consistency of my stool was not a contributing factor to the tear.

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Do dey have da corn bred in Hawaii???? A woo woo A woo woo....If you cud steal a smooch from any board memba??? Do u smellz?!?
    Uh... cloud9?

Quote Originally Posted by lt.roast.a.botch View Post
    Courtney, if you could create a new word and it's meaning, what would you choose? For example, epindary (adj) - epic and legendary. That concert was epindary, bro.
    I feel like the English language already has words for pretty much anything, including a lot of words that have no reason to exist. I would hate to add another to the pile. But I'm going to think about this one.

Quote Originally Posted by kitt kat View Post
    When you play Monopoly, which game piece do you go for and why?
    Wow, I haven't picked up a Monopoly board in years. When I was younger and used to play, I would always choose the top hat because (1) who doesn't want a badass accessory, and (2) top hats remind me of old timey bankers which remind me of money which remind me of winning and I like winning.

Great choices. Feel free to add more if the urge comes up. i know you have lots of great shots.

The world is going to end and you have been chosen to pick 3 pieces of art that were the most important the human race ever had to offer. It does not matter how large or fragile they are. They will successfully be preserved for future alien cultures to try to get a grasp on us. On top of that, 5 selections of music.
    Jesus. Ok.

Art:
    1. Picasso, Guernica
    2. The Parthenon (including the Elgin Marbles, now located in London)
    3. The Sistine Chapel

And for the music, am I choosing songs or albums or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    This is something I have oft-wondered: Is it difficult being bi-sexual and dating someone who defines themselves as a homosexual? I know for a lot of gay people there's a lot more to deal with beyond simply behaving the way you feel naturally, there's an identity, a culture, etc, mostly because of the way the rest of mainstream society views homosexuality. i wonder if this kind of thing comes into play with a lesbian and a bi-sexual woman - like, are there issues that arise because you're not "committed" to the lifestyle? is that something that people talk or think about?
    Um, in a word, yes. I hate to say anything general about this, because I think so much depends on the individual people in question. For me however, I have encountered a certain amount of mixed feelings from the gay community. And really, who can blame them? In a culture where straight sorority girls kiss other girls at bars just to get a guy to notice them or to get a few free drinks, I can hardly blame people for wondering if a woman who generally dates men is making a foray into dating other women just as some sort of exploratory diversion. And, I think on some level, in some cases, there many even be some sort of resentment. Not resentment that gay people want to be straight of course, but just resentment that in some ways I have a choice and it's a choice that can make my life very easy if I just choose to ignore that I am interested in women and go on dating men. I can assimilate to heterosexual culture completely if I wish and no one ever needs to know that there is another side to things. And yes, I think on some level, that makes certain people a little weary sometimes. I think that's only natural.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    l

And for the music, am I choosing songs or albums or what?
    Either or. Your choice.

i like the thought of the future alien archeologists discovering the Sistine Chapel.

Courtney, you brought so much beauty to this thread. I love the photos and paintings.

Either or. Your choice.

i like the thought of the future alien archeologists discovering the Sistine Chapel.
    Ok. 5 selections of music to be saved in the advent of an apocalypse:

1. Bach - Brandenburg Concertos
    2. Mozart - Symphony No. 40
    3. Schubert - Der Erlkoning
    4. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
    5. The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Courtney, you brought so much beauty to this thread. I love the photos and paintings.
    Aw, thank you!

court.. thanks for ban hammer. . love it!
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post

Board Member: TomAz
    Specialty: Tom would be a our strategic mastermind.
    I can't think of a higher compliment. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Perhaps I should consider adding a proofreader to the team as well.

How about a minstrel? Every group needs one of those.

Also, Hi Courtney. Long time admirer, first time questioner.

Who would you point to as the most influential person in your life, as of now? Can you pinpoint a certain moment that really stands out?

If you could curate a museum exhibit encompassing any artistic movement, theme, idea or otherwise, what would it be and which artists would you include? Share images of three works that would be the "centerpieces" of the exhibit. (I'm leaving this as open-ended as you'd like. It could be as broad as "Abstraction in America" or "New York in the 80s" or as narrow as that lovely Women and Surrealist art exhibit that just closed at LACMA. Not an artist retrospective, though.)

I feel like you guys just get to know the same five board members over and over in a repeat cycle.
    You wanna fook on me?!

What is the best thing about living in Hawaii? The worst?

If you could curate your own festival, how many days would it be, where would you hold it, what would your attendance cap be, what would you name it, and who would be your 5 top-billed acts for each day?
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    "Soon they'll hear my words," he thought, "and they will know that roboto's side-splitting reign of ha-has has begun."

Courtney, list your 5 least favorite currently active board members, and describe why they made your list.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.