Page 400 of 454 FirstFirst ... 395396397398399400401402403404405 ... LastLast
Results 11,971 to 12,000 of 13591

Thread: Get to know your fellow board members....

Default Re: Get to know your fellow board members....

What is your biggest regret?

Gummy Bears
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Rick actually asked about that earlier, gunz. I regret not applying myself more when I was younger. Success came very easily and I built sloppy habits that I've since had a hard time breaking out of.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Sorry, I haven't been in here much this week. My usual computer time has been spent streaming the soccer matches.

Do you like soccer?

I never much cared for soccer/football until I went backpacking in Europe after college and spent many late nights watching sports highlights in hostel bars. Fucking soccer is the only fucking sport they seem to play over there, so I gained a fine appreciation for the game via the Top 10 Goals of the Day. I don't actively watch or rearrange my day to accomodate the sport, though.

What is your favorite holiday and are there any special memories involved with it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

For the last 8 years Coachella has been my favorite holiday, with too many good memories to recount.

Halloween, however, is my favorite calendar-holiday. Everyone gets to dress up and pretend to be crazy or scary and everyone loves it. So weird but so cool. Plus, free candy. Free fucking candy. Sold. My favorite memory is when I was 5 or so and my mom made my brother and I Ewok costumes. People thought we were large brown teddy bears. Fuck you, assholes, we're fucking Ewoks.
    Last edited by greghead; 06-16-2012 at 02:01 PM.

who is your favorite author?

Kurt Vonnegut

Tell us about your near death experience.

Greg, what one book should be mandatory reading for all Americans prior to their 21st birthday?

Greg, you can choose to be reborn in any place during any time. Where do you choose?

Greg, if you were in charge of Goldenvoice what changes would you make to Coachella (if any)?

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Tell us about your near death experience.
    Thankfully I've never had a near death experience. I shudder when I think back to how many times I should have been killed or maimed but managed to ride dumb luck to safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Greg, what one book should be mandatory reading for all Americans prior to their 21st birthday?

Greg, you can choose to be reborn in any place during any time. Where do you choose?

Greg, if you were in charge of Goldenvoice what changes would you make to Coachella (if any)?
    * 1984. I read it in junior year of high school and it changed my worldview completely.

*Oooh, tough question. Every time & place has its own peculiar benefits and mysteries to be solved. So long as I was wealthy as fuck, I'd pick ancient China, around 12th or 13th century. No particular reason, it just seems nice as hell compared to what was happening elsewhere at that time.

* I would institute IQ tests for festival attendees.

Aaaand I killed the thread with my interestingness. Cool.

Still interested in having another go-round, Courtney?

Desert-island top 3 records you couldn't live without?

London Calling, The Last Waltz (not my favorite, but it's long and features a wide range of artists), and Highway 61 Revisited.

Quote Originally Posted by greghead View Post

*Oooh, tough question. Every time & place has its own peculiar benefits and mysteries to be solved. So long as I was wealthy as fuck, I'd pick ancient China, around 12th or 13th century. No particular reason, it just seems nice as hell compared to what was happening elsewhere at that time.
    But what about the dinosaurs? Didn't say human history. I'd def. look for some t-Rex action.

London Calling, The Last Waltz (not my favorite, but it's long and features a wide range of artists), and Highway 61 Revisited.
    I knew I liked you for a reason.

Greg, it's a Hallmark holiday, please tell us about your dad. What life lessons did you learn from him that you carry with you today?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

My dad is a very driven, focused individual; passionate and stubborn. Hardcore Republican. Worked in sales for years and years, really good people skills but he now has the tendency to start talking about inappropriate stuff. Again, hardcore Republican. But he loves music, so I got that out of the deal.

What I learned from dad is that will fucking suck, bad shit will happen, but honesty and hard work will get you through. I'm the youngest of four and my parents were struggling when I was born in 1983, literally bankrupt. Long stories all around, but he worked his ass off and is now comfortably retired at 66 with my mom in Austin, seeing live music almost nightly. It's cheesy, I know, but quitting was never an option for him, so it can't be for me either.
    Last edited by greghead; 06-17-2012 at 05:26 PM.

Greg, please tell or show me something that would completely represent your sense of humor. Something that you would giggle at even in your darkest mood or make you shriek with laughter when you are in a good one. It can be a joke, story, memory, or youtube clip.

interested in having another go-round, Courtney?
    Aw you did not kill it. You have been a good week. I would be delighted to be the next person, but only if it's your choice!

Quote Originally Posted by Starraven View Post
    Greg, please tell or show me something that would completely represent your sense of humor. Something that you would giggle at even in your darkest mood or make you shriek with laughter when you are in a good one. It can be a joke, story, memory, or youtube clip.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Aw you did not kill it. You have been a good week. I would be delighted to be the next person, but only if it's your choice!
    You're too kind.

Courtney, if you could be the friend/sidekick/assistant to any historical figure, who do you pick and why?

Courtney - What was it like being a super nerd and attending CRH? (I, honestly, wanted to go to that school)

Courtney, if you could be the friend/sidekick/assistant to any historical figure, who do you pick and why?
    Thanks for the good week Greg. And thanks for picking me!

If I could be the friend/sidekick/assistant to any historical figure, I think I would choose Catherine the Great around the 1770s in Russia. Lady was a badass. I mean, her husband gets murdered and she succeeds to the throne, and then as Empress leads to Russia expanding its territory nearly twofold (including conquering territory of her former lover), heralds in the golden age of Russian enlightenment (she was a frequent correspondent with Voltaire), starts the first legit public school for women in all of the western world, and collects a fantastic quantity of amazing art for her private collection which later becomes the Hermitage Museum. I would like to think that as BFFs, Catherine and I would go on outrageous spending sprees to Paris, fantastic royal voyages to the recently-annexed Russian territories near modern day Alaska, and have massive parties that would put Marie Antoinette to shame. Minus the national hatred slash guillotine thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    Courtney - What was it like being a super nerd and attending CRH? (I, honestly, wanted to go to that school)
    Honestly, my boarding school experience was the first (and perhaps only) time in my life that I sat in a room and felt like I was the stupidest person there, so I'm not sure if I qualify for "super nerd" status in this case. The academics were fantastic, and it set me up to get admitted to pretty much any college I chose, but it was also tremendously difficult from the perspective of a 13 year old girl living away from home for the first time. My parents lived in Saudi Arabia at the time, so it wasn't like I could just go home on the weekend when things got tough. It was a pressure cooker of an experience, and probably the hardest I have ever worked in my life, between taking AP classes, participating in varsity sports, being the president of a student club, and regular volunteer work. It made me grow up very quickly. But I did definitely make a few of my best friends from the experience, and our bonds are all the stronger for having survived such a difficult, stressful, mental breakdown-instigating time together.
    Last edited by Courtney; 06-18-2012 at 11:20 AM.

Courtney:

What is the most ridiculous/embarrassing thing you've done while intoxicated?

If you had to completely eradicate one animal species, what would it be and why?

You have to become the leader of any one nation in the world, assuming all of its benefits as well as its problems. You have to lead it for four years. Where would you choose, and what would you do?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

1) C-Money: Can I call you that?

2) You have 7 starving children and the welfare office only has 3 cans of spagetti-o's with franks or 6 spicy fish flavored top ramen: which do you choose to feed your starving babies, these are your only options. Explain the choice.

3) You've just ended up in the human slave trade in europe, you:

A) Hope someone comes to your rescue like Liam Neeson in Taken
    B) Take too much heroin and OD
    C) Comply with your captors demands and be apart of the dreary universe
    D) Find the perfect opportunity to slip away, even if it may take months/years
    F) Seduce a patron to take you home, which when he does, you shank him and run for your life out of Europe. (This may take multiple visits from the single patron)

4) You owe your favorite boardie a huge favor(maybe they saved your life or something), now you must have an Eifel tower with 2 of the following male members: SupreFan, IceyHotShot, RotationSlimWang, VigoTheCarpathian, Bumblee, Baily, PotvsKtl, TomAz or Goatchella. All men have scratchy beards/goatee status. Who would help complete the Eifel tower?

5) Puppies or Kittens or Bunnies?

C-money nerd - Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Courtney:

What is the most ridiculous/embarrassing thing you've done while intoxicated?
    While I was in my PhD program, one of the young professors invited me over for a party at her house. She was Argentinian and very smart and charming and stylish and basically the epitome of everything I wanted to be, and I was a babbling 22 year old straight out of undergrad, so I was super nervous about hanging out with a bunch of her oh-so-sophisticated friends including many of the professors from my program. I decided that a couple glasses of wine would help me to be more social so I pre-gamed a bit at my apartment. Then I drove to the party and chatted and drank and drank more and more still. After several hours, I realized I was going to be sick, so I tried to run to the bathroom but it was locked and I ended up puking in the hallway. It was a big party and she did not observe the puking incident, and in my inebriated state I thought as long as I could clean it up then she would never know, so I ran to the kitchen and grabbed some paper towels and got down on my knees in the middle of the party tried to clean it up, but it was red wine and that stuff doesn't clean up easily. After doing as good a job as I could, I ran out and found my car on the street and pulled it up about two blocks away from the party and then just crawled in the back and fell asleep. The next morning I realized what a complete idiot I had been, and called her to say that I had enjoyed myself a bit too much and ask if I could help with any of the clean-up from the party. I never explicitly admitted that I puked all over the hallway, but I'm sure she knew, and she was very kind in not ever mentioning it. I was never invited to another one of her parties.

If you had to completely eradicate one animal species, what would it be and why?
    I would eradicate coqui, a species of very small frogs that make a very very loud noise. They are quite common and beloved in Puerto Rico, but they are hated with a passion in Hawaii. Unlike in Puerto Rico, Hawaii does not have any natural predators for the coqui so they have completely taken over several islands, and are on their way towards Oahu. They are considered an invasive species are several eradication campaigns are underway incuding a coqui "hotline" that residents can call into if they hear any cocqui in their neighborhood, and special branch of the state Department of Agriculture that follows up with tips. Their noise is so loud that it prevents people from sleeping and subsequently drives down property value. So I would get rid of them.

You have to become the leader of any one nation in the world, assuming all of its benefits as well as its problems. You have to lead it for four years. Where would you choose, and what would you do?
    I thought quite a bit about this answer. At first, I thought about choosing somewhere like Nigeria or Syria where the problems of violence against citizens are most extreme, so that I could tackle the biggest problems. But then I realized that (1) as the leader of a struggling nation, you really have your hands tied behind your back when it comes to fixing problems because you have no money and few resources, and (2) it's highly unlikely that a white American woman would be able to lead any sort of positive changes in a place like Nigeria or Syria because the initial resistance would be too great. So then I thought perhaps becoming the leader of the United States would be a good answer because then I would have the money and power to be able to make positive changes in more impoverished nations, and I would even be able to flex some muscle to encourage changes to IMF and World Bank policy to make change on a worldwide scale. But then it occurred to me that I actually think Obama is doing a pretty damn good job all things considered, and I have absolutely no knowledge of how to lead a country. So, final answer: I choose the UAE. Because fuck yeah, Dubai. And it's pretty hard to mess up a country that wealthy. I would take my four years to focus on building their educational system to try to initiate renewable industries as a plan for the oil dries up, as well as working towards gender equality through policy changes.

If you could reunite any band, living or dead, for a concert, which band would you choose?

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    1) C-Money: Can I call you that?
    Sure.

2) You have 7 starving children and the welfare office only has 3 cans of spagetti-o's with franks or 6 spicy fish flavored top ramen: which do you choose to feed your starving babies, these are your only options. Explain the choice.
    Each can of Spaghettios has 170 calories. 170 calories x 3 cans = 510 calories total

Each block of Top Ramen has 370 calories. 370 calories x 6 blocks = 2220 calories total

I would choose the Top Ramen because it would provide the highest caloric value to the starving children. Small children may not be traditionally fed things in spicy fish flavor in the United States, but that's completely a cultural thing and kids do fine with all sorts of different types of food in different countries. Obviously, neither of the two options is terrific in terms of nutritional value, but Top Ramen is comparatively the better choice.

3) You've just ended up in the human slave trade in europe, you:

A) Hope someone comes to your rescue like Liam Neeson in Taken
    B) Take too much heroin and OD
    C) Comply with your captors demands and be apart of the dreary universe
    D) Find the perfect opportunity to slip away, even if it may take months/years
    F) Seduce a patron to take you home, which when he does, you shank him and run for your life out of Europe. (This may take multiple visits from the single patron)
    Where did choice E go? I would realize that my captors were sloppy with their paperwork and offer to help them with the money-keeping and business side of the slave trade. Then I would work my way up their ranks until I was a top official and had access to all the secret dealings of the organization, at which point I would save a paper trail of information busting every single person in the ring and take it all to the police.

4) You owe your favorite boardie a huge favor(maybe they saved your life or something), now you must have an Eifel tower with 2 of the following male members: SupreFan, IceyHotShot, RotationSlimWang, VigoTheCarpathian, Bumblee, Baily, PotvsKtl, TomAz or Goatchella. All men have scratchy beards/goatee status. Who would help complete the Eifel tower?
    I don't know what an Eiffel Tower is, and I don't think I really want to know, but I am going to assume it's some sort of sexual thing. I don't know IceyHotshot, VigoTheCarpathian, Bumblebee, Baily or Goatchella at all, so they are all automatically out. Suprefan tends to like calling people out for silly things, like not being the first to post some sort of news item, so I would be weary of engaging in any sort of activity with him because I would be afraid it would feel like a rush to the finish for bragging rights of who came first. RotationSlimWang can be pretty judgy-judgy about people and I would be hyper self-conscious about stuff in front of him so he's out too. So I choose PotvsKtl and TomAz. Pot is smart and cute, so I'm down with that, and Tom is old enough to know exactly what he's doing and do it right.

5) Puppies or Kittens or Bunnies?
    PUPPIES. I have been having serious dog cravings for quite a few months now. I think it is some weird version of a biological clock. I'm not in a place right now where I can take on a pet, but I have promised myself that as soon as I can, I will get myself a golden retriever.

Also, there's this: http://www.ustream.tv/sfshiba