Page 395 of 454 FirstFirst ... 390391392393394395396397398399400 ... LastLast
Results 11,821 to 11,850 of 13591

Thread: Get to know your fellow board members....

Default Re: Get to know your fellow board members....

I think I'll take a break from Misc Lounge for a while. Keep the questions coming, though.

Don't let us scare you away.

What would be your desert island records?

Who would be your desert island celebrities?

Windows or Apple?

Android or iPhone?

What was the worst job you've ever had?

In what realms do consider yourself a nerd (music nerd, tech nerd, WoW nerd, book nerd, etc)?
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    It's really boring when people use this thread to post about their successes.
    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    ...... hey im not posting anything in here about half raptor half alligator people

Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    I was in a math seminar (on number theory)
    Mathematics: discovered or invented? explain.

Most disappointing concert you've attended? Bad or just not up to your expectations, however you want to take it.

As an economist, how worthless would you say sociologists are?
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    Here is all I'll say about borders ... the Los Angeles Angels.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    IceyHotShot: Congratulations, you have been chosen to host an 8-person dinner party for the Coachella Message Board. What is the party theme, what food and drinks will you be serving, what music will you play, which 7 other board members will you invite, who will you seat next to each other, and why?
    The party theme will be "dress like your favorite artist". Food served will include grilled steak (and portobello mushrooms for the vegans, if there are any) and asparagus, with a side of mashed potatoes and corn on the cob. For drinks, some decent scotch and red wine. For dinner itself, I'd play something low key, maybe some of my modern classical library, and it probably wouldn't hurt to throw in some Erik Satie (after all, this is what he composed his music for). If people wanted to get crazy after I'd transition with Aphex Twin's SAW 85-92 and then transition from there to more dancey stuff, like New Order, new M83, Cut Copy, etc. In the case of partying after dinner I'd also have dirt cheap snacks like shitty nachos and some middle level beer like Blue Moon, with a backup of the worst shit imaginable, Cauguama and Natty Lite.

The following will be present: myself, Mugwog, Algunz, Goatchella, RotationSlimWang, Kitt Kat, cutterbutter, and nosurprises 12. Four people will sit on each side of the table, with no heads. Cutterbutter will be on one corner, next to nosurprises 12, next to myself, next to RotationSlimWang. Across from RotationSlimWang will be Goatchella, who will sit next to Algunz, who will sit next to Mugwog, who will sit next to kitt kat.

The logic is as follows: Mugwog and Goatchella will both do their best to get into Algunz's pants, while failing miserably. RotationSlimWang will split his time between boastfully advising me on how to get women, and mocking Goatchella (who is sitting across from him) for his attempts to get with Algunz. cutter and nonsurprises will be there because I've met both and enjoy their company. And I'm making kat come because I want to see just how awkward she would get in such a ridiculous situation.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Don't let us scare you away.

What would be your desert island records?

Who would be your desert island celebrities?
    Records: New Order - Substance (1987), Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense, Andrew Bird - Noble Beast (Deluxe Edition w/ Useless Creatures disc), The Tallest Man on Earth - There's No Leaving Now, and Colin Stetson - New History Warfare Vol. 3 (it's not out yet, but I will play the shit out of it when it is). Okay, I think 5 is enough to list.

Celebrities: Jean Claude Van Damme (for the lulz), Kate Upton (for the sex), Andrew Bird (even if he doesn't have his violin, he can still whistle me beautiful melodies), Stephen Hawking (so I can attempt to learn as much from him as I can, as I assume I'll be stuck on the island indefinitely), and Olivia Wilde (for actual dating, and sex)

Quote Originally Posted by RedHotSgtPeppers View Post
    Windows or Apple?

Android or iPhone?

What was the worst job you've ever had?

In what realms do consider yourself a nerd (music nerd, tech nerd, WoW nerd, book nerd, etc)?
    1. Windows.
    2. Android.
    3. Host at California Pizza Kitchen. It wasn't too bad but the coworker I always got scheduled with never did his job so I was working the roles of two people, which, when things got busy (and believe me, in westwood, they did) was stressful.
    4. Academics, books, and music.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Mathematics: discovered or invented? explain.
    A little of both. Certain principles were discovered (for instance, two apples are intrinsically different from one apple), and others were invented (some applied approaches, like actuarial math, and some theoretical ones, like number theory).

Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    Most disappointing concert you've attended? Bad or just not up to your expectations, however you want to take it.
    Iron & Wine. I hadn't listened to their 2011 album before going, and the adult contemporary style he played (even on older songs) was not my cup of tea at all.

Quote Originally Posted by zenidogx View Post
    As an economist, how worthless would you say sociologists are?
    HA! The easiest major to transfer into. Pretty useless, but if they go on to grad school after (to study something other than a PhD in sociology), there's hope for them yet.

Obligatory

Seen and enjoyed.

Edit: Best enjoyed on mute.

Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Also, I have politely declined requests to do this thread in the past because I figured that being BMOTW in the past was enough, but if asked I would probably do it in the next couple of weeks because I have a lot of time on my hands. If there is any interest in me becoming the questionee in a future week.
    I haven't gone once and you're coming back for seconds? Greedy greedy

IHS, you seem like a somewhat normal guy, but still waters run deep. How often do you freak out and scream/howl/lose your fucking mind when no one else is around?
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

that was a good party.

Quote Originally Posted by greghead View Post

IHS, you seem like a somewhat normal guy, but still waters run deep. How often do you freak out and scream/howl/lose your fucking mind when no one else is around?
    You'll get your turn on Monday. As for the question, every full moon Nah, honestly, the closest I've come was when I screamed "YES!!!!!!" and ran a victory lap around the house after hanging up the phone after getting my job offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    that was a good party.
    Who did you dress up as?

A little of both. Certain principles were discovered (for instance, two apples are intrinsically different from one apple), and others were invented (some applied approaches, like actuarial math, and some theoretical ones, like number theory).
    OK, let me get more specific. Does Euler's Identity reveal anything about the universe, or is it just a manmade thing?

Well, e and pi exist whether man knows of them or not, and so does the relationship between them. So I would say the former.

i like this guy....some of the dons on this site should follow your lead. IceyHotDawggie

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    Then I got drunk one night and had sex with a hot chick and all was right in the world. Go ahead and save the kissing for when you find the right girl, but get to banging, you're missing out.
    Ding ding ding, pretty sure I told you this in another thread Icey, lol

IceyHot,
    I am going to offer you my usual inquiry.

Please describe your most perfect day. Realistic or not. You choose. Or you can do both. And please include details.
    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixiessp View Post
    IceyHot,

Please describe your most perfect day. Realistic or not. You choose. Or you can do both. And please include details.
    What the frack? Why did you give him the option of unrealistic?

IHS: If you had the chance to redo any moment in your life, what would it be? Please describe the original scenario and what you would do differently.

Quote Originally Posted by greghead View Post

Aw man, I figured we had already gone through all the long-time poster regulars if we were spending a week on IceyHotshot. No offense IceyHotshot.

Well, e and pi exist whether man knows of them or not, and so does the relationship between them. So I would say the former.
    Are you implying that i does not exist independent of our knowledge of it?

IceyHot,

I'll choose realistic. Unrealistic is too limitless. I would wake up early, cook myself some bacon, sausage and eggs, and eat breakfast while reading the newspaper. Then I would head to the beach - the weather would be perfect - and swim, body board, and play frisbee and bocce with my brothers. We'd walk to a nearby brewhouse and eat lunch and have some beers, then return to the beach. After a few hours of relaxing there, I'd go home, shower, dress, and head out to downtown or hollywood or Santa Monica to get dinner and drinks with friends. I'm thinking a small group of maybe 6 people for dinner, at a place like Gyu-Kaku, and we would meet up with others at the bar afterward. The bar would be low key, low lighting, no loud music, maybe with small tables. After that I'd go home and sleep. Pretty simple, but thoroughly relaxing and enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post

IHS: If you had the chance to redo any moment in your life, what would it be? Please describe the original scenario and what you would do differently.
    I would have spent time with my brother the night before he died instead of going to Cub Scouts.

Aw man, I figured we had already gone through all the long-time poster regulars if we were spending a week on IceyHotshot. No offense IceyHotshot.
    None taken.

Are you implying that i does not exist independent of our knowledge of it?
    If I had to give a speculative answer, I'd say it does, but it's really beyond my expertise. If I were giving testimony under oath I'd decline to answer (sorry, I read a lot of depositions at work).

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post

In case he wanted to include a non pooping unicorn.
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

Joann have you ever been BMOTW and gotten to be the center of everyone's attention?

I would have spent time with my brother the night before he died instead of going to Cub Scouts.
    I'm so sorry to hear that.

In case he wanted to include a non pooping unicorn.
    Admit it. Having a non pooping unicorn would be pretty kick ass.

You'll get your turn on Monday. As for the question, every full moon Nah, honestly, the closest I've come was when I screamed "YES!!!!!!"
    I'm actually dreadfully boring, no need to choose me. I was just giving her a hard time. I got a chuckle out of your werewolf answer, though.

Ha, well, there's a reason I've not been chosen in four years of doing this. See: my boring posts and relative unpopularity around here.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

This just means I have to choose you.

Joann have you ever been BMOTW and gotten to be the center of everyone's attention?
    Yes I have, Tom.

Maybe I missed this story and maybe you don't want to share, but what happened to your brother?

He was killed by a drunk driver in Ensenada when he was 20. His daughter just finished her junior year of high school, actually. She was 2 when he passed.