Page 337 of 454 FirstFirst ... 332333334335336337338339340341342 ... LastLast
Results 10,081 to 10,110 of 13591

Thread: Get to know your fellow board members....

Default Re: Get to know your fellow board members....

I'm coming to SF in July. Can we make out? If not, how about a drink (then make out)?

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by weeklymix View Post
    I'm coming to SF in July. Can we make out? If not, how about a drink (then make out)?
    Can I join? I promise it won't be gay.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Hi I'm new to the board. I used to be in a band with someone on here. I just wanted to say hello to everyone.

Hello!
    "It began as a mistake" - Charles Bukowski

Wanted:
    1. Nachos
    2. Puppies

Does Bugonyourlips still post on here? We used to tear up the stage in the late 90s.

BUG!!!! Haven't heard from him in a while, but he'll post on occasion still.

Oh really? Well were can I post some videos of our band? Has he posted them on here before?

No, he hasn't. He may not want you to. You should probably ask him first.

I'll get to all the new questions as soon as I can, but I just the 5-10-15-20 thing and it got kind of Get to know-ish, so I'm going to post it here too:

Matt - 26

5:

Talking Heads - Remain in Light

I feel really lucky that I had/have such a cool mom. I remember being in the car as a kid and hearing this album. I didn't really understand how awesome it was until later, but I could tell that it was something really special. I didn't have much of a lifetime at the time, but I remember really loving "Once in a Lifetime" and it is still one of my favorite songs... ever. According to my mom, this was also around the time that I turned to her in the car one day and asked, "Mom, do people really believe that god is a bearded white guy in the sky?" You may find yourself on a beautiful Earth, and ask, how did I get here? I guess so.

Honorable mention: Bob Marley And The Wailers - Legend

10:

Green Day - Dookie

Green Day, Rancid, and Rage Against the Machine marked the beginning of my rebellious phase. I seemed to hit all the typical growing up stages a bit early, so at 10 I thought everything people told me was stupid and hormones were in full swing. There was hair spiking, ripped clothes, patches, and an eventual mohawk involved. I went to my first show around this time (Rancid with my cool mom), and I became notorious at school. This image attracted interesting girls, but the popular ones I thought were hot.

Honorable mentions: Rancid - ...And Out Come the Wolves & Rage Against The Machine - S/T

15:

Radiohead - Kid A

Somewhere in between 10 and 15, I discovered electronic music. It started with Prodigy-Orbital-Underworld-kind of stuff, but that led me to Massive Attack, Tricky, and Portishead, which led me to DJ Shadow. Endtroducing... got me majorly into trip-hop and downtempo, so when I heard Kid A, the world of rock that I was more accustomed to before my electronic phase collided with my current obsession in a major way. I went to a very arty high school, so I remember spending half of my week in this corner of the art class listening to Kid A and Amensiac on repeat. Those were good days.

20:

Thievery Corporation - The Mirror Conspiracy

Thievery Corporation became important to me at a time in my life when I had just burnt out on studying other cultures, but still idealized them. I spent a lot of time doing documentary-style street photography under the tutelage of a protégé of Henri Cartier-Bresson, and eating large quantities of hallucinogenic mushrooms as part of my anthropological/ethnobotanical studies. I would spend hours in the darkroom listening to Thievery Corporation and Gotan Project, and dream of living somewhere cooler than Binghamton.

Honorable mention: Gotan Project - La Revancha del Tango

25:

LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver & Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid

I think 25 is right around the time my bright-eyed optimism died. Halfway through my 20's, I finally felt like I was getting older. I started to get sick of the largely instrumental music I had been listening to and wanted music with more substance with lyrics that I could relate to with these new feelings. LCD and Elbow provided me with the two sides of the coin that I needed to get through this time.

Wheels Of Cheese

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
    Because I love cheese... It might as well be a world wonder. I think anyone who puts such strict dietary restrictions on themselves is silly. Also, being vegan isn't natural. Even as a vegetarian, I still eat things made with meat stocks. Meat stock makes some things taste DELICIOUS.
    Meat stock is not vegetarian, BS. Stop eating that. It comes from the same problematic place!

Also, most dairy products are produced in the same conditions as meat, poultry and pork - the unsustainable and environmentally toxic conditions(which, by the way, are less natural then being vegan). Do you take any special measures to ensure you're eating ethically farmed dairy and/or eggs?

HMMMMMMMMMMM?

Quote Originally Posted by MissingPerson View Post
    BlackSwan, some of your most whimsical inclinations?

Answer however it suits you to do so.
    As part of the getting older thing, I think I have become extremely unwhimsical... I may be largely whimsicaless. My childhood was full of forced whimsy due to my crazy/cool mom. She was a prodigy phenomenologist/daoist/anarchist chick who gave up her career to raise me, so my world was full of craziness. When that world became too unstable, I spent time living with my grandparents in the "Hamptons", or with my dad in Harlem. My mom had a major influence on who I was when I left for college, so that that whimsy hung on a bit, but I think I strive for routine now because it was something I didn't grow up with. Luckily, my wife is the exact opposite, so she adds the whimsy to our life. I am making an effort to be more whimsical though, so we'll see how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by full on idle View Post
    Meat stock is not vegetarian, BS. Stop eating that. It comes from the same problematic place!
    Meh, I am aware of that. There are only so many limitations I put on myself for the good of the environment. As long as I am not eating flesh, it's all good to me. I had a mushroom bruschetta made with veal stock once and it was one of the most amazing things I have ever eaten. Take that baby cows!

Quote Originally Posted by full on idle View Post
    Also, most dairy products are produced in the same conditions as meat, poultry and pork - the unsustainable and environmentally toxic conditions(which, by the way, are less natural then being vegan). Do you take any special measures to ensure you're eating ethically farmed dairy and/or eggs?
    I am aware of that, too, but there are only so many concessions I can make for the animals. The eggs we buy are definitely ethically farmed, as far as I know, but I don't even wonder if all of the fine French cheeses I eat are ethically farmed. I am going to eat them either way.

Most euro-cheese is made with animal rennet!!!!

For the record, I struggle with the same dairy dilemmas...there's just no substitute for cheese. We all do what we can.

I could eat cheese all day long.

Have you ever had Brillat-Savarin? It's like heaven in cheese form.

I haven't but I'm not that much of a cheese adventurer. I just love mozzarellas. Gets me every time.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
    I would definitely see him if he ever came to the US... Too bad that will never happen.
    he toured the US with happiness in magazines, i believe. i waited too long to get tickets, and it sold out.

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    I could eat cheese all day long.
    I do.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I have a BA in anthro, too. Favorite culture? Favorite cultural ritual?
    I spent a lot of time focusing on Pacific Island cultures, so one of my favorites to study were the cultures in Papua New Guinea who were part of the cargo cult phenomena. It was definitely an eye-opener to how much our worldview effects how we interpret new things.

In terms of rituals, I'd have to go back to my paper for the actual details, but as part of later enthnobotanical studes, I did research on lesser-known ethnobotanical rituals. There were peoples in the highlands of Papua New Guinea who used different mind-altering substances as part of their rite of passage rituals, and that was really interesting to me because they were societies that hadn't already been widely mentioned in the works of other ethnobotanists.

old school

are we gonna jump or jerk off?
    Lick an orange, it tastes like an orange. Lick a pineapple, it tastes like a pineapple. Go ahead, try it. Try some more. The strawberries taste like strawberries. The snozzberries taste like snozzberries! We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. Come along, come along.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    How did you know your wife was "the one?" Any defining moments? Sorry if this has been asked before(I'm never in this thread.)
    Definitely many defining moments, but it was also an evolution, since we were good friends before we started getting romantic. Obviously, love is complex, so it wasn't just one thing, but I knew pretty early in our relationship that she was the one. For starters, everything was more enjoyable when I was with her, and she was happy doing things just because they were with me... Even the boring stuff. I was also a better person when I was with her, and she is so accomplished that it pushed me to care more about things in general. As time went on, it became obvious that deep down we were similar in the important ways, but in other ways we were complimentary, so together, it felt like we could do anything... She is the mathematical/scientific one, and I am the creative one. She also graduated high school a year early so we could go to college together, and we ended traveling all over together. The most important one though, is that I want to spend every possible minute with her that I can. When you feel that strongly about someone, it becomes pretty obvious that they are the one.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmy1222 View Post
    Favorite park in SF?
    Lands End.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    If you had to describe the silliest thing people do in general, what would you say?

Besides eating meat . . .
    Have you answered this or am I not paying attention?

That question is harder... I am still deciding on my answer. I keep thinking of things that I think are stupid, not silly.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    You are in charge of picking the top 3 names each day @ next year's Coachella (not taking into account silly things like if the damn thing will sell or how expensive said acts are) who do you pick?
    David Bowie
    Blur - Massive Attack

Radiohead
    David Byrne - Portishead

Daft Punk
    Outkast - Jamiroquai

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    Out of all the places you've lived @, which did you like the best/least and if you could live anywhere else, where would it be (saying you'd stay in SF counts)?
    Hilo, Hawai'i was definitely the best. I was probably the happiest I've ever been when we lived there. San Francisco is awesome, but the water is too cold.

Binghamton was definitely the worst. I had some great times there, but it was literally a cultural wasteland. Also, there were days when it was so cold that I would go outside and my nose would start bleeding.

I'd like to live in London, and it actually may end up happening. My wife and I were talking a couple days ago, and apparently, we were both thinking about how we wanted to go live in a different country for a while.

When you lived in Hilo, did you sit in the gazebo in the little park on the waterfront and smoke crack?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    When you lived in Hilo, did you sit in the gazebo in the little park on the waterfront and smoke crack?
    Only on weekdays... It's too crowded on the weekends. And it was ice, not crack.

I'm slowly coming to the realization that your music tastes align with mine more than anyone else on the board, Matt. Does that frighten you as much as it frightens me?
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

i could eat algunz all day long
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.