Page 308 of 454 FirstFirst ... 303304305306307308309310311312313 ... LastLast
Results 9,211 to 9,240 of 13591

Thread: Get to know your fellow board members....

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Default Re: Get to know your fellow board members....

Quote Originally Posted by Pixiessp View Post
    Drinky,
    My stock question: Please describe your perfect day. From the moment you awaken to the moment you put your whiskers to bed.

We all love details so please indulge us. A picture or two would be nice.
    My perfect day....this isn't really something I'd ever thought about before. I'm not going to get too extravagant here.

I'll wake up at 10:00AM and meet friends for breakfast at Tally Rand in Burbank

It's a shitty local diner with total characters for staff, but they have good greasy food, a full bar, and an outdoor seating area where we can smoke. It's been a "go-to" for years for breakfast after a night a partying to nurse hangovers. I'll have 2 eggs sunny-side up with hash browns slathered in tobasco, bacon, and sourdough toast. I'll top it off with a bloody mary or 2.

At noon or so I'll make my way into hollywood and stop into Amoeba Records.

I LOVE browsing this place, even if I have nothing specific to purchase. The vast collection they have is amazing, from cds to vinyl to dvd to concert posters. One of the thing I love most is that it's filled with other people just as dedicated and obsessed with music as i am. Hopefully I'll run into some of the out of print stuff on my list (a lot of '90s post hardcore stuff that for some reason is constantly escaping me).

Around 1:30PM I'll head next door to Arclight Cinemas

I'll stop by the bar (which i surprisingly can't find any good photos of) and have a couple of Newcastles from the tap. Then I'll head into the Cinerama Dome for a movie at 2:30PM. My seats are already assigned for me - I like to sit right in the middle of this this theater because the screen is so wide, and i like to have room for my long legs, so I'll be in seat 22 on the aisle seat between the two middle sections.

After the movie ends at around 4:30PM, I'll walk over to Big Wangs to meet up with friends that live in the area.

We'll order a variety of chicken wings for the table so we can taste all of the goodness - hot buffalo, garlic buffalo, teriyaki, and cajun buffalo. I will have a 32oz PBR while I'm there.

At 6:30PM I will walk further down the street from Big Wangs to Blue Palms Brewhouse for some pre-concert drinking.

Blue Palms is a real beer bar, so i'll talk to the bar tender and see what great craft beers thay have in that day. I might also have some of their delicious fish tacos while I'm there. I'll have 3 or 4 pints and then head next door...

8:30PM - the Henry Fonda Theatre

(that was just a good image of the interior - Eisley/Switchfoot is not part of my perfect day)

The Fonda is one of my favorite venues in L.A. (probably tied with the Troubadour). It has a relatively small floor with great vantage points for a tall guy like me, and a great smoking patio/bar up on the roof.

I'm not going to imagine exactly what band I'm seeing there...i can't imagine much at the Fonda would beat my NIN experience there...I'll just place my bet that it's someone great.

At 11:30PM (we'll call it a somehwat early show, which is actually kind of typical here) i'll walk back towards my car near Amoeba and finish the night meeting up with people at the Cat & Fiddle for a last round of drinks

They have a great outdoor section that's perfect for the end to a good summer night.

At 1:30AM i'll leave hollywood and make my way back to the valley
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

There was an awful lot of walking in that story for LA.
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

...Except for the hour drive from and back to the valley, of course.
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by york707 View Post
    nobody walks in la
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    (that was just a good image of the interior - Eisley/Switchfoot is not part of my perfect day)
    You were horning in on MY perfect day there. And my daughters' too!
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Banned

...Except for the hour drive from and back to the valley, of course.
    At 1:30 am, that is not an hour drive. Depending on where he is in the valley, from Hollywood, it's prolly more like 15 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    At 1:30 am, that is not an hour drive. Depending on where he is in the valley, from Hollywood, it's prolly more like 15 minutes.
    Fair enough. Although I know everytime I am in LA, the traffic is shit. I have even been in a dead stop traffic jam on the 405 at 330am.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

Quote Originally Posted by Pixiessp View Post
    Do you play any musical instruments? If not, do you possess any hidden talents?
    Unfortunately, I do not play any instruments.

Even though i've mentioned it before, and a long time ago posted some, I guess my hidden talent would be my drawing/illustration.

Here are some samples:

last.fm
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL

Oh, shit. Those are awesome.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by daxton View Post
    Oh, shit. Those are awesome.
    agreed.

Very hidden.

+5 I hate people that have talent
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Heh...all of these places are within blocks of each other. Like, each walk is 2 or 3 blocks. So the last bit of walking back to the cat & fiddle from the Fonda is maybe a 15 minute walk.

Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    Fair enough. Although I know everytime I am in LA, the traffic is shit. I have even been in a dead stop traffic jam on the 405 at 330am.
    Windowliquor is correct. i don't have to take any freeways, so i can just zip north on Cahuenga and take it right out of Hollywood onto Barham. I live just north of the Burbank Airport, so it's very close.
    last.fm

I will take time after lunch with some of these other questions, but wanted to quickly point out that you were never on my ignore list and I'm not sure why you thought that.
    Probably because some pompous lame ass made a thread encouraging it to everybody on the board. I'm pleased that it obviously failed and am looking forward to meeting you somewhere at Coachella in a month. Anyway, your pro-choice to acknowledge me must have made an impact late last night because I dreamt we were at Coachella, and that's where I decided to GTKMFBM. The funny thing is, everytime I asked you a question, you'd turn and respond with one of your imfamous facial expressions as well. You were more than obliged to answer, but you always did it with a face. I know I eventually must have annoyed you because while we were in front of one of the stages, I asked a question and you not only made a face, you did it in perfect timing while sounding like an angry rooster. Obviously, my alarm interrupted the dream, but it was so amusing that I lay there listening to it as you went through a series of faces. Two questions...Why the faces in all your pictures here on the board? And, if we were to meet and I asked a bunch of questions, what show would be so important that you had to go off on me like a rooster to make me stop?
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

We'll order a variety of chicken wings for the table so we can taste all of the goodness - hot buffalo, garlic buffalo, teriyaki, and cajun buffalo. I will have a
    Made my mouth water. I have never had those flavors of Wings. I guess I need to get up on that place.
    G-funk acquired, thank you Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by Theijuiel View Post
    Don't watch Conspiracy Theory while on mushrooms.
    You know a festival is in the process of dying when you start to see sports jerseys there....

Wow Drinkey, those are really nice! Do you ever work in Adobe Illustrator? If not, it's awesome and I highly recommend it.
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    The Wizard didnt resist the police, the police resisted The Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by lizng View Post
    Wow Drinkey, those are really nice! Do you ever work in Adobe Illustrator? If not, it's awesome and I highly recommend it.
    I have not jumped into Illustrator yet, although i'm hoping to get a copy soon. I've had Photoshop CS1 for a long time and that's pretty much the only digital program I've used.

Thanks to everybody for the compliments about the artwork!
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    Tits McGee is the industry standard guys.

Drinkey, please describe to me some of your favorite metal bands and why. You seem to be one of the only other few interested in the genre at all on these boards.
    I like all sorts of metal, from every corner of the genre. Rather than do any sort of detailed write up on the subject, I'll just pick a choose a few bands. Feel free to follow up question me, anyone. I imagine I'll get a lot of shit from some of the other metal enthusiasts for some of my choices here, but I wanted to post some stuff that doesn't get talked about around here a lot. What's here in no way limits the huge spectrum of stuff I like, But i don't really see a point in listing every metal band I've ever listened to.

Blind Guardian
    One of my all time favorite bands. A few ofd their albums, especially the eipc Nightfall in Middle Earth, are the absolute epitome of power metal. Their eariler work is pretty thrashy, and their later work is extremely prograssive. They're pretty cheesy, and write a lot of song about Lord Of The Rings, but their music is epic as fuck and just a blast to listen to to.

an absolute classic and must-love for every metal fan is Judas Priest. "Ram It Down" is one of, if not my favorite tracks. it has all of the elements that make a great JP song - chugging riffs, fast steady beat, falsetto vocals, ridiculous guitar solos, and the best part is the super epic bridge.

here's one of my favorite death metal bands - NILE. As good death metal should be i't sgot plenty of cheese factor with its Egyptian mythology theme alongside brutal vocals and riffs and precision playing. I 'm mostly familiar with their older stuff, and could recommend both Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka and Black Seeds of Vengeance

I was really into metalcore for a while in the early 2000s, and some of my favorite metal albums came from that scene.

Hopesfall's No Wings To Speak Of E.P. and The Satellite Years full length are both great (the rest of their albums are pretty shitty though)

SkyCameFalling was an extremely shortlived band with a couple of eps and only one full length...but 10.21 is one of my favorite albums of all time

Darkest Hour has probably more to do with melodic death metal and a lot of inspiration from At the Gates and the Stockholm sound than metalcore, and their sound was expanded even more so when the great Devin Townsend came on to produce two albums back to back for them - Undoing Ruin and Deliver Us

Botch's We Are The Romans is a a really terrific mathcore album and it proved to be incredibly influential on a lot of bands. If you like Dillinger or Converge, this is a must have

Circle Takes The Square is a really interesting band, combining math rock, screamo, and some grindcore with a number of experimental elements. Their full length, As The Roots Undo is really good

This might be more heavy rock or stoner rock, than metal, but I think it fits. El Caco are the quintessential Scandinavian stoner rock band, and go really well with Hellacopters and Backyard Babies. 2006's Search is really good from front to back

Ministry is of course amazing, and if you don't already have them, the 1-2-3 punch of the albums The Mind is a Terrible Thing To Taste, Psalm 69, and Filth Pig

last.fm

Drinkey, who are your must sees this year? Pick 2 for each day.
    I don't think I can pick just 2. there are a LOT of "must-sees" this year for me. i'll do 4.

FRIDAY:
    Them Crooked Vultures, Fever Ray, Grizzly Bear, Yeasayer
    SATURDAY:
    Faith No More, Devo, Dirty projectors, the xx
    Sunday:
    Orbital, Gorillaz, Gary Numan, Florence & The Machine
    last.fm

I love Ministry, many good times seeing that band. Do you think that kind of music has any place at Coachella? Yes or no and why?...
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by seandlr View Post
    Drinkey, what are your top 5 prized possessions? If you were to die tomorrow, who would you give them too?
    I am going to tackle this one at a later date because I want ti try to take photos

Quote Originally Posted by seandlr View Post
    What is your favorite childhood memory?
    I am pretty sure this would be attending "He-Man & She-Ra Live at Universal Studios." It was this whole show and photo-taking opportunity with a whole bunhc of people dressed up as Masters of The Universe characters. You even got a free Masters of the Universe toy. it's probably one of my earliest memories. My mom has a bunch of photos, but since she just moved, I doubt I could get access to them to scan. There's not a lot of info online, but I did find a TV commercial!

Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Favorite child-hood cartoon?
    Quite related to the last question, I'd say my favorite cartoons as a very young child were

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Top 5 best movies that you wouldn't necessarily watch over and over (unlike your favorite movies)?
    RARG, so i really have to say what i think the best movies are after all, huh?

In regards to my previous answer, those were specifically movies that i have seen close to in some cases, and more than in others, 100 times. Inexplicably rewatchable movies for me.

For this list, thse will still be "favorite" movies for me, but ones that I consider to be impeccably made in every way.

Before I get to them, i want to touch a little bit on the discussion that followed this question.

I agree with Randy on the point that if I think something is great i will want to rewatch it, for a variety of reasons. Also, there are plenty of Unpleasent movies that are great, and that i do rewatch over and over again. I watched Requiem for a Dream 3 times during its original theatrical run. i also promptly bought it on dvd and continued to watch it, along with the commentary track. That movie is fucking fascinating, once you get past the initial jolt.

On movie that i do absolutely adore but do have a hard time rewatching however is 21 Grams. That movie just hits me really hard for some reason.

Anyhoo, top 5 movies, again in no particular order:

12 Monkeys

Taxi Driver

Bullets Over Broadway

The Wild Bunch

Heat
    last.fm

Bullets Over Broadway and Heat? Jesus Christ.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

don't speak, don't speak!
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Would you rather fuck Tee-La or Evil Lynn?
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

the 1-2-3 punch of the albums The Mind is a Terrible Thing To Taste, Psalm 69, and Filth Pig
    Wow, a Filth Pig fan. Most people (myself included) would start the 1-2-3 punch at The Land Of Rape & Honey. But I do think Filth Pig is vastly underrated.

What do you think of the comeback stuff? Animositisomina on up. I liked them all when they came out, but they haven't held up like the old stuff still does.

Did the musical tastes of your parents have any influence your music preferences? If so, explain.
    My dad had nothing to do with my musical tastes. As far as I can remember he has never listened to anything beyond the local oldies station on the radio. like, he hasn't been interested in any music that has been made since he was a child. The only music I have any knowledge of him owning are Elvis records. When we were moving one time I found a box that had like 50 Elvis records in it.

My mom on the other hand, is a HUGE music fan and has been a big inspiration to me. Growing up we always had "breakfast with the Beatles" playing, but beyond that she's into a lot of contemporary music. I remember listening to a lot of Depeche Mode, Erasure, and INXS as a child. She bought me a copy of the Who's Tommy and Led Zeppelin's IV when i was in high school.

I somehow got steered toward punk pretty early on, but I have my mom to thank, I think, for my really diverse music tastes. She was always listening to classical, rock, dance, acid jazz, country, pretty much everything.

I'm not sure how I got into extreme heavy metal and things like that, but just the option to always give everything a chance for sure was something that was pounded into my brain at a very early age.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    Wow, a Filth Pig fan. Most people (myself included) would start the 1-2-3 punch at The Land Of Rape & Honey. But I do think Filth Pig is vastly underrated.

What do you think of the comeback stuff? Animositisomina on up. I liked them all when they came out, but they haven't held up like the old stuff still does.
    I was a little late getting into Ministry and Filth Pig was my introduction. It has a very different feel from the rest of their metal stuff - it's a lot slower and denser. i love it. The cover of "Lay Lady lay" is just amazing as well as "The Fall," but I really like that album from front to back.

As for the comeback stuff...I think it's really well done. it's unfortunate that those 3 albums or so all kind of sound the same and it ends up being a bit generic. I guess there comes a time where a band like that doesn't have the ability to be groundbreaking or experimental anymore.
    last.fm

If you had the time, ingredients and desire to cook a 3-course meal right now, what would you make?
    Right now it would be:

starter - baked clams

entree - lamb steak

with sauteed asparagus with almonds

and roasted potatoes tossed with fresh garlic

desert - a brownie a la mode
    last.fm

What is the farthest you've traveled to see a band, and what band was it?
    Unintentionally skipped this one. I've never been one for traveling to see bands, as living in L.A. allows pretty much everyone to come to me, and have no yet made enough money to really be able to justify spending possibly hundreds of dollars just to see band.

However, a few years ago when i was in the long distance relationship, i went up north to spend NYE with my girlfriend and we saw The Flaming Lips do their New Years show (on January 30th though) at the Bill Graham (I think). Gnarls Barkley and Cat Power opened. It was an amazing show.
    last.fm

What are your 5 favorite boring fucking questions? How about your 5 favorite boring fucking answers to those boring fucking questions?

Brandon, fuck you for doing this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.