Page 295 of 454 FirstFirst ... 290291292293294295296297298299300 ... LastLast
Results 8,821 to 8,850 of 13591

Thread: Get to know your fellow board members....

Default Re: Get to know your fellow board members....

Quote Originally Posted by weeklymix View Post

Dallas without question. I find Houston to be one of the only cities that one could appropriately describe as sticky.
    Good news, this is the correct answer
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

I end the day listening to loud music in my car.

What is it about your car that makes it the place you would end your day listneing to music, as opposed to, say, your couch or bed or porch?
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

Well... PHP, C, C#, C++, Java, Perl, Javascript, ActionScript (Flash's scripting language) and then all the basic HTML / CSS goodies. I prefer PHP for web programming and I primarily use C and C++ when screwing around with the Linux kernel. My major focus was operating systems and I'm doing my master's thesis on operating systems and their role in the software patent debate. As far as a career goes it really depends on what happens after grad school in May 2011. I will be gunning for a job at Apple and if I get that I will probably just work very hard at keeping that job. If I don't get the offers I am hoping for from a few other tech companies... I have been considering law school with the idea of going into intellectual property law and specializing in software.
    Jesus that's impressive. Even actionscript... wow. I remember fiddling with that waaaay back in the days of Flash 5.

How were the math classes you had to take? Better yet, how often do you actually utilized the math you had to learn? I hear stories from people have never actually used any math (besides some pretty basic algorithms/functions) and are still successful developers.

Quote Originally Posted by york707 View Post
    What is it about your car that makes it the place you would end your day listneing to music, as opposed to, say, your couch or bed or porch?
    Honestly it's a small confined space (Volkswagen GTI) with a great sound system (no, not like that) and it's just a nice place to be by myself and get away.

Quote Originally Posted by l337moomoo View Post
    Jesus that's impressive. Even actionscript... wow. I remember fiddling with that waaaay back in the days of Flash 5.

How were the math classes you had to take? Better yet, how often do you actually utilized the math you had to learn? I hear stories from people have never actually used any math (besides some pretty basic algorithms/functions) and are still successful developers.
    If you have taken care of calculus in high school the only thing you really have to watch out for is discrete math. At both universities I've attended these professors really like to get off on a "pure math without any numbers." If you understand basic looping structure and have worked with any programming language at all you shouldn't worry about the required math. And yeah I'd say I definitely haven't ever referred back to a math lecture to help me with programming.

Quote Originally Posted by york707 View Post
    Good news, this is the correct answer
    That was definitely not the correct answer.

Can you explain Kernel32?
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

The Windows library file? Tough crowd. 32 must mean it was stopped being used before XP and I think it handled memory... maybe I/O?. I don't know all of its other functions honestly.

Which GTI do you have?

It seems like we have a lot in common.

2005 1.8T charcoal gray paint, light gray "leather" interior.

Oh hey, no questions but you're prolly winning Salah's contest this year.

thx
    LOL! <33
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafocaine View Post
    Great advertising strategy for her vagina though! As if having a vagina weren't all a vagina needed. Now introducing the Lustful Scorned Lover scent, by RSW.

Right on. I think this is the end of my week. Thanks for all the questions guys and I hope you feel like you know me better. I had a lot of fun. I'll think of who to put on the spot for this week and get back to this thread this afternoon.

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

I've noticed a lot of Dave hatred stems from the fanbase and is often just kneejerk reaction. I've been a fan for a long time and I've never talked about or even heard of "the philosophy of Dave." Not all the fans are the same.

Edit:

Rage Against the Machine has an appalling fanbase as well but nobody here jumps to hating the band because of it. Seems a bit inconsistent to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

I primarily hate Rage Against The Machine because they make terrible music, but now that you mention it the fanbase does suck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

I stopped listening to Radiohead for a good number of years based solely on the fanbase. Wasn't the best decision I ever made.

Well I don't like DMB's music as well. I think it's listenable but it's definitely not going on any playlists anytime soon.

Oh shit. This thing's still going? And for once it was someone interesting. Good job, WM!
    Quote Originally Posted by sbessiso View Post
    jewface is definitely the gayest one here, right?

I've talked to hawkingvsreeve and nominate him for this week since he has not done it on this board.

Thanks for the good week, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    I've noticed a lot of Dave hatred stems from the fanbase and is often just kneejerk reaction. I've been a fan for a long time and I've never talked about or even heard of "the philosophy of Dave." Not all the fans are the same.

Edit:

Rage Against the Machine has an appalling fanbase as well but nobody here jumps to hating the band because of it. Seems a bit inconsistent to me.
    For me, I don't have Dave "hatred". It's the only group I played into the ground. I had this messed up phase like from 99-'01 or '02 where I found out what I had missed out on by not listening to them in HS. So I get to college and a bunch of friends listen to them, and I become hooked. So hooked I had kinda forsaken most other music. I played them into the ground to the point where it's still tough to wanna listen to them. I hadn't done that with any group before or after... just a weird phase.

But I give them credit. I went on a road trip from Minneapolis to Denver in 99 to see them play at Mile High Stadium (the last concert ever held there). It was an amazing time. It laid the foundation for things like Coachella, because it made me realize that traveling for a concert is something definitely worth doing. I'm at the point where I wouldn't mid seeing them live again. I probably wouldn't try all that hard to make it happen though.

Weekly, before you pass off your week, what was the 1st concert/music fest you traveled a significant distance to go see. And what were the circumstances that made you wanna try it?
    If y'all fresh to death, then I'm deceased... -Kanye West
    Jamiroquai 2015 please.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    How is any of that ironic? On this board I absolutely expect terrible people to call other people terrible.

I've talked to hawkingvsreeve and nominate him for this week since he has not done it on this board.

Oops... looks like I'm about 7 minutes too late. Hawking,

maybe you can answer this same question I just posed to Weekly-

Quote Originally Posted by fiopadp7791 View Post
    Weekly, before you pass off your week, what was the 1st concert/music fest you traveled a significant distance to go see. And what were the circumstances that made you wanna try it?
    If y'all fresh to death, then I'm deceased... -Kanye West
    Jamiroquai 2015 please.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    How is any of that ironic? On this board I absolutely expect terrible people to call other people terrible.

Hawkingvsreeve, I loathe Dave Matthews not because of his fanbase (though I can't stand the girls I know that listen to that shit) but because his voice annoys me, the band annoys me, the music annoys me, etc.

That said, I can still say that Dave Matthews (and co) are very talented and skilled. I just can't stand them.

Are there any bands that you admit are talented and skilled, but you just can't get into them no matter how hard you try??
    My first novel, Darkhouse, has been published and is available here on Amazon. It has nothing to do with Coachella. Or vampires.

Thanks, Z.

You guys know me pretty well. Here's your chance to know even more!

Quote Originally Posted by fiopadp7791 View Post
    Considering that "significant" is a relative term, my answer varies. In keeping with the Dave theme, I traveled to Phoenix to see them some years ago (from San Diego). As far as festivals are concerned, I drove to Bonnaroo last year which was quite a trek.

Edit:

I also went to Phoenix to see Cursive, sometime right before The Ugly Organ came out. The show here sold out and we were like: "Fuck it. Road trip." Drove there and back the same night. I'd advise against this.

Quote Originally Posted by StubbADubb View Post
    Hawkingvsreeve, I loathe Dave Matthews not because of his fanbase (though I can't stand the girls I know that listen to that shit) but because his voice annoys me, the band annoys me, the music annoys me, etc.

That said, I can still say that Dave Matthews (and co) are very talented and skilled. I just can't stand them.

Are there any bands that you admit are talented and skilled, but you just can't get into them no matter how hard you try??
    There are a ton. I know we all say this band sucks or that band sucks or whatever, but it does require time and effort and skill to know an instrument, put a band together, write songs, put out a record and then tour. If everybody could do it, there would be a lot more (probably shitty) bands. Immediately off the top of my head, both of Jack White's side projects come to mind here, as well as a lot of influential classic rock acts. Probably the biggest person I admire/respect but dont enjoy is Tom Waits.
    Last edited by hawkingvsreeve; 03-07-2010 at 03:27 PM.
    last.fm

Boxers or briefs?

Ideal lover's traits?

Favorite color?

First, the usual...
    Cats or dogs?
    Favorite pancakes (or favorite breakfast food, if you're not a pancakes guy)?

Also, any musicians or bands you used to adore that now make you cringe?
    My name is Becca. Hi.

Facebook, yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    If it was supposed to be a joke, there'd be a cat in the picture somewhere. That's how you can tell, on the internet.

how did you escape not being under the microscope in here for this long?

Boxers or briefs?

Ideal lover's traits?

Favorite color?

I'm a boxers guy although I do have a few pairs of boxer briefs, or trunks as I believe the box said. The idea behind those was to keep everything in place while walking a lot, say, at a music festival. Turns out that wearing solely those left some sweet irritating rash on my inner thigh/groin considering they kept rising up. I dont wear them much, but when I do, they make my dick look huge.

This seems to change considering the girls I have dated. At this point I just want somebody who is honest all of the time and wants me in their life as much as I want them in mine. I have yet to find this. She has to be cute as well, I can't do all of the work.

I'm a earth tones kind of guy. Greens. Dark blues, gray. Mainly green though, as it looks good on me.

Quote Originally Posted by rskapcat View Post
    First, the usual...
    Cats or dogs?
    Favorite pancakes (or favorite breakfast food, if you're not a pancakes guy)?

Also, any musicians or bands you used to adore that now make you cringe?
    Dogs, easy. And not yipping bitch dogs. Big dogs (Great Danes).

I'm going to have to go with blueberry here. Always reliable.

I pretty much defend all of the music in my collection, although we all make mistakes. While I cant claim to have adored any of these artists, if you scanned my bookshelf of cds you would find Limp Bizkit, Slipknot, Orgy and Kottonmouth Kings. This was all from like 98-00. Dark days indeed. I say own it. If you like or liked shitty bands, stick with it. It's part of who you were at that time, and that is why I will never get rid of any of my music. I like that it snapshots my life, for better or for worse. I do admit that I have an unhealthy appreciation for Paramore these days and am probably their biggest fan around here excluding Tom's teenage daughter.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by GeezrRckr View Post
    how did you escape not being under the microscope in here for this long?
    I've met a good number of people here so perhaps that is part of it. Also I did this for a week on the old message board so I think the idea was to have some new blood bare their souls.
    last.fm

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

What's your most homoerotic experience?

Tell us a little about your worldview, guiding philosophies, enlightenment moments, etc.

I find that you often respond to my posts about home A/V equipment, so I have two items related to that.
    Please tell me about a) your current setup and b) what you'd really like to change about it to make it perfect.

Whats your spirit animal?
    G-funk acquired, thank you Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by Theijuiel View Post
    Don't watch Conspiracy Theory while on mushrooms.
    You know a festival is in the process of dying when you start to see sports jerseys there....

Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    What's your most homoerotic experience?

Tell us a little about your worldview, guiding philosophies, enlightenment moments, etc.
    While the moment Dylan and I shared at Bonnaroo last year during Paul Oakenfold ranks up there (there is a picture floating around), it would probably be the time when I was working at a mall at a tux shop and a customer asked me pretty plain-spokenly to take naked pictures of him.

Have I told this story before? I feel like I have.

Anyway, he was returning his tux and was telling me about these friends of his who worked at a drug store in the photo department and how he would joke with them that one day he was going to bring in nudes for them to develop. He tells me that he needed someone that he sort of knew but didn't know all that well to take them, and then pretty much straight up asked me. I politely declined.

As far as the other question... I don't know. I suppose I subscribe to the dont kill each other or fuck each others significant others mentality, but I am not guided by any religion nor do I consider myself religious or spiritual. I feel like I have seen more things in my life that point to the absence of a god than to proof of a god, but if the "Is there a god?" thread taught us anything, it's that nobody really knows for sure. I feel like if I live my life well and try to do what is right most of the time, everything else will work itself out. Religion just seems to complicate a lot of peoples thinking and I am always disappointed that it plays so heavily into our political system. Like, let's take stem cell research for instance. Bush, because of his religious beliefs, cut off all funding to research that could dramatically change the future of medicine and effect the lives of those with debilitating diseases. Being that I am in that camp, I was extremely pleased to see Obama reverse that decision. But at the end of the day, because some dude believed in a god that nobody can prove exists, cures for diseases could have been pushed back years. That just doesn't sit well with me. I don't know if that answered what you were asking or not.
    last.fm