Page 178 of 454 FirstFirst ... 173174175176177178179180181182183 ... LastLast
Results 5,311 to 5,340 of 13591

Thread: Get to know your fellow board members....

Default Re: Get to know your fellow board members....

BACK or FRONT?

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Stupor,

What is the oddest impulse you have ever acted on?

e.g. Pulled the parking brake while in a moving car or kissed a stranger

Much love,
    AL
    I've kissed an awful lot of strangers, and it's never struck me as much of an odd impulse. Kissing rocks, and I've usually found that if a woman I favor isn't much of a kisser, whatever might follow probably isn't going to be all that special either.

I've probably impulsively eaten a lot of odd things, but the payoff is usually worth whatever anxiety it might have caused going in.

I was in a car during college where e-brake spinouts were attempted, but I was in the back seat throwing up at the time.

I've become much less impulsive since becoming a father. I guess becoming a father in the first place was a pretty impulsive act. Well, the events leading up to fatherhood were impulsive, anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by garspaceman View Post
    well hello my fancy pants.

Quote Originally Posted by stuporfly View Post
    I think the band that changed the way I listen to music the most has been the Clash. Whether you feel their efforts to incorporate other styles into their sound was a success or not, it’s impossible to deny their sincerity, and their love of the music of many different cultures. I used the Clash as a conduit to reggae and hip-hop, and I think that same philosophy left me open to other music, like Afrobeat.
    <-- see avatar

you ever read "redemption song: the ballad of joe strummer"? great read with insights from friends and family from birth to death, written by his friend and writer chris salewicz. strummer lived one of the most interesting and amazing lives i have ever read about, just insane. if you are interested i can send you my copy when i get it back from my nephew.

i got really emotional near the end, knowing what was coming those last few chapters.

getting to meet/hang out with him will always rank as my number one music related moment out of the many i have had so far. there is no way anything will top that, no matter what the future holds.
    Last edited by JustSteve; 08-08-2009 at 10:13 PM.

Stuporfly,
    if you could only listen to music from one continuous five year span, where in the timeline of music history would your five years be?

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    Mr. Stuporfly,

Forgive me if I ask any repeats. I've just woken up. (1) How many times do you think a magazine or newspaper has rejected you? (2) Early in your writing career, how did you feel when you'd be rejected? (3) How does it feel to be rejected now? (4) Are you glad to have become a writer, or do you sometimes wish that you went down a different path?
    Good questions, indeed. And no repeats!

1. I've been rejected countless times. I had it pretty easy very early on, getting accolades for a movie review published by the first newspaper not affiliated with my high school at the age of 17. I also worked for a well-known music scribe into my earliest 20's, so the opportunities and recognition were there. But either that didn't impress everyone or it dried up a bit, because it soon became much more difficult.

2. Being rejected sucks, but the impact was different when I was younger. I took it much more personally, thinking maybe it was because I wasn't good enough.

3. As I got older, I grew more confident, and I realized there were other factors at play. And even if I wasn't a good fit for a particular rag (or individual piece), I might be for the next one. And I'm more pragmatic about rejection now. Making money is more important to me than it used to be, back when it was enough if they managed to spell my name right.

2&3. Rejection takes on many guises. Sometimes I'll never hear back at all, even if I follow up on a cold pitch to someone I've never worked with before. Other times I can't figure out why a piece has been rejected, as though somehow I've got a better handle on what a publication's readers might enjoy than an editor does. I might even be right, though I don't get to make those decisions, so I don't fret over it.

4. I do sometimes consider what it might have been like had I chosen a profession where I wasn't always feeling like I have to hustle for work, or where I could actually take a paid vacation. I might have made a good teacher, for example. But I love what I do for so many reasons, too. I'm not sure I could give it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Thanks for answering my questions. It sounds like Madeline is a very lucky girl.
    Thanks for asking them! And if you're a writer, now you've got another contact -Networking! It can even happen on the Coachella forum.

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post

BACK or FRONT?
    Obsessively front. It's just easier to get a square (or several, if the situation requires).

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    <-- see avatar

you ever read "redemption song: the ballad of joe strummer"? great read with insights from friends and family from birth to death, written by his friend and writer chris salewicz. strummer lived one of the most interesting and amazing lives i have ever read about, just insane. if you are interested i can send you my copy when i get it back from my nephew.

i got really emotional near the end, knowing what was coming those last few chapters.

getting to meet/hang out with him will always rank as my number one music related moment out of the many i have had so far. there is no way anything will top that, no matter what the future holds.
    I will always be envious of your experience, and of those whose lives Strummer touched personally. He seemed to genuinely enjoy meeting people and letting them know they meant something in his life as he did in theirs.

I've got just about every Clash-related book I can find, and 'Redemption Song' is among the very best. I need to read it again some time.

Quote Originally Posted by fiyahhh! View Post
    Stuporfly,
    if you could only listen to music from one continuous five year span, where in the timeline of music history would your five years be?
    I'm tempted to go with '64-'68, but I'll choose '77-'81 instead. I'd get the best of the Clash, Television, the Sex Pistols, the Buzzcocks and loads of other punk bands. Post-punk albums by Gang of Four, PiL, the Slits, Joy Division and the Pop Group were also fairly phenomenal, and hip-hop was in its wonderful infancy. I'd also get the first Duran Duran album in there to appeal to my Eurotrash side. And McCartney put out a few memorable tracks in there, too.

I'd miss the earliest Ramones on one end and ABC's glorious debut on the other, but I'd still be happy with everything under that umbrella.

stuporfly,
    Has writing an autobiography crossed your mind? And, how about a biography? Anyone in particular you'd like to study so you could write their story? And, lastly, since you have a great rapport with your daughter, have you ever written anything geared to children? Or, wanted to?
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    stuporfly,
    Has writing an autobiography crossed your mind? And, how about a biography? Anyone in particular you'd like to study so you could write their story? And, lastly, since you have a great rapport with your daughter, have you ever written anything geared to children? Or, wanted to?
    I don't think my story is nearly interesting enough for an entire book's worth of material, though I'm cheap enough that I've been pulling elements of my own life for use in my novel. It'll be way more exciting, one would hope, than what I'm doing right now, which is sitting in my living room and typing on my laptop while a Motown documentary is on in the background. Ho hum.

I can pull off article-length bios, but I'm not sure I'd be able to hold my attention for a complete book about an individual or a group of people. Maybe I could write a compilation, like Michael Azeraad's excellent Our Band Could Be Your Life. I could see having the attention span for a project like that, though no potential subjects spring to mind.

I recently wrote a piece about one of the guys who was instrumental in helping Stevie Wonder find his path in the early '70s, leading to that incredible string of albums. It made me think bigger about maybe doing a story about the making of Innervisions, which is not only one of my favorite albums of all time, but which has a fascinating backstory I knew little about until last week. I'm well suited for that sort of thing.

As for a children's story, I've actually written one. I sent it off to an artist friend of mine to see if he'd be interested in working on it with me, but I've only done that recently, so I'm not sure where it's heading. It's sort of a fable, one which I quite enjoyed writing. My daughter loved my reading the story to her, and if that's all that ever comes of it, it'll be more than enough.

What style of art do you have in mind for the children's book, stuporfly? Curious, since I have a knack for character/ cartoonish type doodling and drawing. Haven't persued doing anything with it, but sure have heard many comment that it may be my calling in life...
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

What style of art do you have in mind for the children's book, stuporfly? Curious, since I have a knack for character/ cartoonish type doodling and drawing. Haven't persued doing anything with it, but sure have heard many comment that it may be my calling in life...
    I'm hoping my artist friend can help me figure that out. And frankly, I don't even know if children's book publishers want you to give them the story and art together. I kind of just wrote it because I came up with the idea, and then I liked it enough to think maybe it was worth shopping around. But I haven't done anything else beyond show it to friends and read it to my daughter. And that may be as far as it ever goes.

My dad has a story that he used to tell us all the time about Trashazilla. He keeps saying he'll put it together for us, but it hasn't happened - not in 30 years!

Don't wait, at least do a self published copy just so you will always have something to share with your family.

I'll always have the memories and I know the essence of the stories. They would change and evolve everytime. Having just one story in hard copy would make me sooooo happy.

Don't hold back, Stupor. "Do it."

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    My dad has a story that he used to tell us all the time about Trashazilla. He keeps saying he'll put it together for us, but it hasn't happened - not in 30 years!

Don't wait, at least do a self published copy just so you will always have something to share with your family.

I'll always have the memories and I know the essence of the stories. They would change and evolve everytime. Having just one story in hard copy would make me sooooo happy.

Don't hold back, Stupor. "Do it."
    Sound advice. I may just do that.

Thanks for all the interesting questions, everyone - It's been a fun week. But it's Monday, which means I have the pleasure in selecting the subject for the next seven days.

This young fellow is a good egg, one with quite an adventure in his very near future...

JewFace!!!

- You're moving across the country to New York City next week: Are you more nervous or excited? Are there any stereotypes about the Big Apple you expect will be more true than others? What about New York (excepting what's bringing you here in the first place) has the greatest pull for you?

JewFace,
    I've caught from bits and pieces that you're headed East, but I've missed exactly what it is that gave you this idea of change in the first place. A job offer? Family? A girl? If it's not a girl there, are you leaving one behind in San Diego for this adventure?

A girl?
    For fuck's sake, I'm fairly new here and even I have more a clue than this.
    10/22 - TV on the Radio - Fonda
    10/24 - Warhol - Royce Hall
    10/28 - Ben Frost/Tim Hecker - Los Globos
    11/05 - Pissed Jeans - Los Globos (?)
    11/08 - Seu Jorge - Luckman (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Jewface,

Top or Bottom?
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Come on, BrokenDoll, you crazy ol' bat. I'm barely on here and even I knew that JewFace spends his Saturday nights in Hillcrest.

JEWFACE: Let's get the gay questions out of the way, shall we?

Are you leaving a boy behind?
    How long have you been plagued with the homosexuality?
    How out are you?
    When did you come out? Any funny, sad, interesting coming out stories?
    Are your parents cool with your unnatural lifestyle choice?
    If you could swallow a pill that turned you straight, would you take it?
    Are you going to NYU? That university is CRAWLING with gays!
    Are you straight acting or a total mincing queen?
    Gayest thing you've done lately? Straightest thing you've done lately?
    Who's the hottest guy on the Coach' board?
    How many board members' weiners have you seen?
    What's your favorite gay book or writer or movie?
    Spit or swallow?
    Did I miss any gay questions?

Oh, and, what prompted your interest (in the books thread) in Indian literature?

Jewface -

You ask awesome questions. If you were to ask yourself an awesome question that cut to the heart of the man behind the username, what would you ask?

Then pretend I asked it.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MissingPerson View Post
    Jewface -

You ask awesome questions. If you were to ask yourself an awesome question that cut to the heart of the man behind the username, what would you ask?

Then pretend I asked it.
    Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Tell me about something you've done that you'd be proud to be remembered for.

Aw! It's Andjew's turn! Nice choice, Stuporfly. MissingPerson, since you seemed lost for a question, indulge me for a couple of minutes and let me tell you a little about this young man. I've only met him twice.

At this year's Coachella my group's condo got flooded on Saturday night and we couldn't find a hotel or motel near Coachella with a room. This kiddo, having just met me that afternoon in the Sahara, invited my party of 5 to stay at his condo without hesitation; even giving up his bed to sleep on the floor so that his "guests" could sleep more comfortably. There were already 8 people staying at his condo and he and his friends refused to accept a dime from us. Instead, they said, "Buy us a beer on the polo fields tomorrow."

He also is a quick wit; always ready with a funny quip before you can finish your previous thought. On Sunday morning, we're all hungover, tired, achy and can barely think straight. My friend Robbie was showing Andrew that kitschy youtube video from the 80s with scantily clad dancers grinding and gyrating while simultaneously showing you how to bake bread. As the video played and the barely clothed dancers swung their hips and threw flour in the air, he says (without even thinking about it) "Oh, my yeast is rising!" That comment made me spit my orange juice in the waiter's face. Andrew felt so bad about being the cause of my oral expulsion that he left the waiter a 50% tip.

I can also tell you that it's obvious he loves his friends and loved ones deeply and sincerely cares about their happiness. At 21, he was probably the youngest person in our two groups, but he acted as a sort of good-hearted father figure, making sure everyone was comfortable, had enough to eat, had a great time at Coachella. He did all that without losing his youthful energy. Old soul.

He'll probably hate me for this, but if you're going to be a performer, you're going to have to get used to the attention. He has a beautiful tenor voice which I discovered when I accidentally snuck up on him and his friend Patrick singing Lilac Wine by the pool on Sunday morning. The other time I met Andrew was when I was in LA for business and he was acting in a play at the Geffen Playhouse. This kid was performing with seasoned pros who'd spent years on Broadway and in national tours and on the great regional stages and he was more than holding his own. He had the audience in stitches during his comic moments and in stunned silence during the grizzlier, angrier moments of the play.

Bottom line: hes a warm, good-hearted, sweet-natured, funny, talented kid who I just know is going to thrive in NY. The British accent rocks too! My boyfriend also has a massive crush on him, so thanks for ruining my relationship, Andrew!

ANDREW --
    Sorry for hijacking your thread, but you're too modest!
    What will you miss most about California? And when you graduate, do you see yourself pursuing a career in film, tv, stage?

Quote Originally Posted by stuporfly View Post
    This young fellow is a good egg, one with quite an adventure in his very near future...
    JewFace!!!

- You're moving across the country to New York City next week: Are you more nervous or excited? Are there any stereotypes about the Big Apple you expect will be more true than others? What about New York (excepting what's bringing you here in the first place) has the greatest pull for you?

Thanks, Crispin!
    Mostly excited. I've been dreaming of living in NY since I was a kid. I was actually supposed to move there last year, but had some serious family issues to deal with. Luckily, my school was good enough to bend their rules for me and deferred my enrollment for one year. So, I've had over a year to contemplate this move. I am a tad nervous, though. Not necessarily about the city. It has so much to offer and I already know a few people there and some friendly people online such as yourself and Tim (Alchemy) and Doug (Castanets). I think any nervousness I'm feeling is probably about school. It's my dream school and it's competitive as hell and has a rather cut-throat reputation. I got in, I got a big fat scholarship and I'm very happy with that. But, occassionally, one does get that nagging sensation in the back of the head that perhaps I just had a really good audition and a really good call back and interview, but maybe that's it. Maybe that's were my talent and potential end and maybe the admissions team made a huge mistake. Those thoughts don't consume me, but I think they're probably the source of any nervousness. As for the city itself, I'm just so excited to explore all of that culture, history, fine art, performing art, music, cuisine, etc.

JewFace,
    I've caught from bits and pieces that you're headed East, but I've missed exactly what it is that gave you this idea of change in the first place. A job offer? Family? A girl? If it's not a girl there, are you leaving one behind in San Diego for this adventure?
    God, they can be a mean bunch on here, BD, huh? An honest mistake on your part. Though, frankly, being the former owner of a Kylie Minogue avatar should have been your biggest tip-off that I wouldn't be leaving any girls behind.

I'm moving to NY to attend the Drama Division of Juilliard and earn my BFA in Acting. I have a full ride which covers tuition an room & board, but I'll definitely need to get a job before the end of the year. I've been a waiter for a few years, so I'm hoping I can get into the fine dining scene there.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    Jewface,
    Top or Bottom?
    Versatility is the key to true happiness.

Wheels Of Cheese

Lady Gaga
    Man?
    Woman?
    Both?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

My goodness, HorseTears! I think you've covered all the gay questions for now! Not sure I can handle anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by HorseTears View Post
    A couple, but nothing serious. I've known I was moving to NY for over a year, so I had no intention of starting anything too serious here in SD. Funnily enough, I've met a very interesting fellow in NY through... social networking. However, one never knows if online chemistry will translate to the real world. I'll find out soon enough. Not much time for boys with the kind of academic/rehearsal schedule I'll be keeping.

22 years. Nature, not nurture. Though, my father did play a hell of a lot of Rodgers & Hammerstein when I was growing up. Hmmm....

How out are you?
    Completely. I'm not 'bicurious', I'm certainly not on the bi now gay later plan and I believe strongly in homosexuals living openly and honestly. Obviously, that's easier for me to say being in Southern California than it might be for some poor kid stuck in the middle of Kansas. I recognize that every lil gay boy n girl has to come to it in his or her own time, but I could never live a happy or satisfying life in the closet.

Well, as with most gays there were a couple of stages:
    11 yrs old: Came out to my paternal grandmother. She and I were very close and I was too young to know that this was something I was supposed to keep secret for a bit longer. She refused to believe me and told me I didn't know what I was talking about. But I kept insisting that I knew exactly what I was talking about and eventually she relented and accepted it and kept is as our secret. She later confided in me that back in Mumbai (or Bombay at the time) she had an older brother who was gay who was stabbed to death in a parking garage. She had no doubt he was a victim of a hate crime (though, of course, she didn't use that terminology.) Years after she passed, I mentioned this story to my father in passing and he thought I must be mistaken. It turned out, my grandmother had kept her brother's life and death a complete secret from her children. They had no idea that they once had an uncle. I think that my coming out to her was her first real opportunity to discuss this painful memory with someone. I can still recall the way she tearfully remembered her brother. My Aunt in India did some research that corroborated my grandmother's story. She kept a lot bottled up, so I'm glad that she got to let go of that one before she passed.

After that, came out to a couple of friends at age 14.
    Was forced out of the closet at 15 by my parents.
    Was out to everyone in my life by age 18.

My parents have passed on, but they were (eventually) very cool with it.
    My parents found out I was gay the way I'm sure a lot of boys get "caught" these days. I was 15. There were some naughty images on the computer. I was never a a computer geek and that age didn't realize that if you looked at something on the interweb, it would be stored in your computer's cache. My dad found a stash of images of... you know... gentlemen in various stages of proctology exams. My parents were both born in and spent their early childhoods in India and had a pretty conservative and, frankly, antiquated view of homosexuality. My mother kept asking if I wanted to die of AIDS, my father began doing research on programs which could "correct" and "fix" me. It was a particularly pleasant time in my life. However, by the time I was 17 they'd done a complete 180 and my mum actually became the chapter president of PFLAG my senior year in high school. I totally forgave them for the way they treated me when I was younger, but I don't think they ever forgave themselves.

Absolutely not. This is not a burden. I enjoy being gay and I don't feel like I'm missing out anything. What kind of question is that HorseTears? Is this 1959?

Ha ha! I've heard the same thing from others. But, alas, no, I'm not. Juilliard, Drama Division (see previous answers.)

I'm one of those fellows you meet who could go either way. If you met me and found out I was straight, you wouldn't be surprised. If you met me and found out I was gay, you wouldn't be surprised. I say this from practical experience and speaking to new friends and acquaintances. BTW, (and I know you're just being silly here, HorseTears), I loathe the term "straight acting". I certainly won't endorse the appeal of heteronormativity. Do you know on gay dating and social networking sites thousands of idiots take these "how straight acting are you?" quizzes and then proudly post their "You're 100% straight acting" results? Those semi-closeted gay-bros are a whole breed of idiot I want nothing to do with. Can you imagine if you went to a site primarily for African Americans and they were all taking "How White Acting Are You?" quizzes?

Gayest: Hmmm. Grace Jones, Hollywood Bowl?
    Straightest: On Friday, I went to a friend's rugby game, got some beers with the all straight rugby team after, went home and fixed some electrical wiring and retiled my shower. (Though, admittedly, due to the rather snugly fit rugby shorts, we can't call this a 100% straight day.)

BrokenDoll. Duh.

Also, there's a South Asian guy who rarely posts, but posted some pics of himself some time ago. Holy Moses does he play on my weakness for attractive South Asian men. Forgotten his screen name, though.

Besides my own, I assume? 2.

Well this one will be a cliche, but my favorite LGBT themed novel would probably be The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde and Wilde would probably rank up there as one of my favorite LGBT writers. Others that come to mind...
    The Line of Beauty by Alan Hollinghurst
    Kiss of the Spider Woman by Manuel Puig
    Maurice by E. M. Forster
    Go Tell It On the Mountain by James Baldwin
    The City & The Pillar by Gore Vidal
    Other Voices, Other Rooms by Truman Capote
    And, of course, there's Whitman, W.H. Auden and Quentin Crisp.
    And on the lighter side, I must admit I enjoy David Sedaris and Augusten Burroughs.
    (Can you tell I took an LGBT Literature class at UCSD? Ha!)

As for films, for every dreadful Not Another Gay Movie gay ghettoized film, there are some real cinematic treasures out there. If you're remotely interested in LGBT themed cinema, I'd recommend checking these films out:
    Urbania (2000)
    My Beautiful Laundrette (1985)
    Wild Reeds (1995)
    Maurice (1987)
    Summer Storm (2004)
    Ma Vie En Rose (1997)
    Gods & Monsters (1999)
    Love & Death on Long Island (1999)
    Second Skin (2000)
    Burnt Money (2000)
    The Slaughter Rule (2003)
    The Buddha of Suburbia (1993)
    Victim (1962)
    Prick Up Your Ears (1987)
    Midnight Cowboy (1969)
    Sixth Happiness (1997)
    Before Night Falls (2000)
    Sunday Bloody Sunday (1971)
    C.R.A.Z.Y. (2005)
    Kiss of the Spiderwoman (1985)

Oh, and, what prompted your interest (in the books thread) in Indian literature?
    Well, a couple of things. For one thing, I've only really been exposed to European and American literature. I just think it's time I remedy that. Additionally some family history takes me there too. Both my parents were born and raised (for their early childhoods) in India and I am in fact 1/4 Parsi (Indian Zoroastrian.)

Okay, HorseTears' questions zapped my will to type anymore responses tonight. Keep questions coming, though and I'll continue tomorrow.
    Last edited by JewFace; 08-12-2009 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    For fuck's sake, I'm fairly new here and even I have more a clue than this.
    Allright, so I made an "oops!" Christ, it's not like he's spilling his glitter everywhere like Salah, or bragging about his sordid trysts like say, Randy or TommyBoy...*snicker*
    Come on, BrokenDoll, you crazy ol' bat. I'm barely on here and even I knew that JewFace spends his Saturday nights in Hillcrest.
    JEWFACE: Let's get the gay questions out of the way, shall we?

How out are you?
    Spit or swallow?
    Did I miss any gay questions?
    Okay, so JewFace, now that the peanut gallery has enlightened me to your sexual preference, tell us all a little something about anal sex......

There. Are you clowns happy now????????????????????????????????????????