Page 177 of 454 FirstFirst ... 172173174175176177178179180181182 ... LastLast
Results 5,281 to 5,310 of 13591

Thread: Get to know your fellow board members....

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Default Re: Get to know your fellow board members....

1. If you HAD to genocide a group of people straight across the board but could use any criteria you can imagine to apply to their unquestioned painful demise throughout the world, what would it be and why?

2. Best book ever written? There is only one right answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    1. If you HAD to genocide a group of people straight across the board but could use any criteria you can imagine to apply to their unquestioned painful demise throughout the world, what would it be and why?

1. coachella board elitists?

2. Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
    Dianetics by L Ron Hubbard
    the Qur'an by Abu Bakr
    The Book of Mormon: An Account Written by the Hand of Mormon upon Plates Taken from the Plates of Nephi by Joseph Smith, Jr.
    the last question by isaac asimov

if hope you can tell how serious i'm being... although the last one is really good, although not a book, actually just a very short shory
    Last edited by nbvcide; 08-05-2009 at 06:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Daft Punk will unveil its third member, Crush.

Wheels Of Cheese

Take cover....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

Um, it's not your week, is it? I thought I was talking to Stuporfly.
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

old school

maybe you are? wait, who's Stuporfly?

He's a professional writer, and therefore not you.

old school

that's why i always liked you randy... sure, a majority of the people on here are douchebags, but you always make me laugh..

That's cause I'm a funny motherfucker. I should be a professional writer, dammit.

old school

LOLOL, didn't schoolofruckus tell you??

if you post on this board while on the clock at work, you're a professional writer!

Quote Originally Posted by zenidogx View Post
    I'll put you down for this much:
    Oddly enough, that's exactly what my pubes look like.

Quote Originally Posted by zenidogx View Post
    Speaking of great lyricists, what's your favorite kind of songwriting? Who are you favorite songwriters across different genres of music?
    I don't know that I have a particular favorite kind of songwriting. There's good and evil in most genres, so to select any one style would leave me dropping caveats. And no one wants that.

I'm certainly a sucker for Lennon/McCartney and Strummer/Jones, but I'm also quite fond of everyone from Fela Kuti to Curtis Mayfield to Bob Dylan to Chuck D to Morrissey/Marr. I also think Alex Turner from Arctic Monkeys has a knack for storytelling.
    Last edited by stuporfly; 08-06-2009 at 07:08 AM. Reason: I can't fucking type
    Quote Originally Posted by garspaceman View Post
    well hello my fancy pants.

Williamsburg hipsters - I'd take away their skinny jeans and Members Only jackets. They'd snap quickly into apoplexy and I'd be able to walk down Bedford in peace.

Either that or the Jews. We're pretty annoying.

If it's not a cop out to list a book compiled from the works of an already-dead writer, I'd go with Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung. It's cliche to love Lester Bangs, but really I do.

Otherwise, it's a toss-up between Joseph Mitchell's Up in the Old Hotel, Nathanael West's Day of the Locust and David Lee Roth's Crazy From the Heat. I also admit to a certain fondness for Catcher in the Rye, which I know leaves me in a party full of halfwits, nitwits and dipshits. It's still a good book.

(Okay, I haven't actually read one of those.)

I also think William Kotzwinkle's The Fan Man is brilliant. It's as true a representation of NYC in the '70s as I've ever seen. If anyone out there has read it, you'll know how fucked up what I'm about to tell you is: I used to read it at the age of 10 or 11 with my mother and her boyfriend.
    Last edited by stuporfly; 08-06-2009 at 07:07 AM. Reason: I forgot an amazing book, and I'm dumb and I feel like I have to poo, but I'm not ready to just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by stuporfly View Post
    They've got ants on them. Hopefully no real ants, but even so that's an itchy image to have in such a sensitive area.
    Going back to the day where ants in your pants was a funny thing, what other hilarious memories do you have of your childhood? (Say, between 5 and 13 years old.)

Quote Originally Posted by nbvcide View Post

that's why i always liked you randy... sure, a majority of the people on here are douchebags, but you always make me laugh..
    I used to say the same shit when I first joined the board...just wait

That's cause I'm a funny motherfucker. I should be a professional writer, dammit.
    I used to say that shit too, but nooo, you wouldn't listen...you wanted to make professional movies instead.
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Hmmm, after the post with reference to the Fan Man, perhaps you'd rather imform us of that period of your li8fe instead? LOL
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Kitt Kat can help you with that. She's paying 200K to learn how to write, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    I swear to god. Harrison Ford better not be fucking dead.

Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    Going back to the day where ants in your pants was a funny thing, what other hilarious memories do you have of your childhood? (Say, between 5 and 13 years old.)
    When I was 11 years old, my dumb buddies and I started a protection racket in our day camp. It was me, Seth and Raoul, and we called ourselves S.C.A.R. (Seth, Crispin and Raoul - oy...).

We'd go up to one kid and tell him some other kid paid us five bucks to kick his ass, but that if he gave us five bucks we'd go back and lie about having finished the job.

The scam lasted about 30 minutes before counselors caught wind of it from one of our victims. Truth is, it wouldn't have lasted, 'cos I was too much of a wuss to back up the threats of violence with actual violence.

Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    Hmmm, after the post with reference to the Fan Man, perhaps you'd rather imform us of that period of your li8fe instead? LOL
    That was really the only weird thing I can remember from that time. Perhaps all the formaldehyde chased it away.

Quote Originally Posted by stuporfly View Post

If it's not a cop out to list a book compiled from the works of an already-dead writer, I'd go with Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung. It's cliche to love Lester Bangs, but really I do.

I'm thinking if you liked Mr. Bangs, you probably read this magazine.
    It was my constant companion when I was in High School.
    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

stuporfly,

I am enjoying reading your answers. Keep it up.

If it's not too personal, I am wondering about the mother of your daughter. Is she in the picture, and if so do you get along with her?

And as a new writer who has just recently discovered that newspapers and magazines will fly me places and pay me to write stuff, I am wondering what you have found to be the most effective way of getting new freelance gigs. Do you do cold queries, or do you mostly approach people through developed contacts?

Crispin,

• By your own admission, you're a bit of a music geek. I think you may also be a bit of a cinephile. With that in mind, are there any perfect fusions of cinema and music that come to mind? You know, that moment of divine synthesis when just the right song/composition is matched to the perfect visual?

• As you've noted, you're happily partnered. That lovely fact aside, do you think you could ever date a woman 20 years your senior? What about a woman 15 or 20 years your junior? (I don't know how old you are, so let's assume that the 'younger' side does not dip below 18 yrs of age.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pixiessp View Post

I'm thinking if you liked Mr. Bangs, you probably read this magazine.
    It was my constant companion when I was in High School.
    Creem was pretty great, as was Rolling Stone at the time. I wish I could say I was aware of Punk Magazine, but that didn't come until later.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    stuporfly,

I am enjoying reading your answers. Keep it up.

If it's not too personal, I am wondering about the mother of your daughter. Is she in the picture, and if so do you get along with her?
    She's very much in the picture. My own parents' divorce wasn't amicable, and it was pretty obvious to me as a kid. When Madeline's mother and I split nearly two years ago, I made a conscious decision to work as hard as I possibly could to be on good terms with her for our daughter's sake. And to her credit, my ex generally works with the same principle.

Madeline has consistency in what is expected of her from both of her parents, whether it's something simple like bedtime or when she has to get her homework done to a healthy diet. And it's been going well so far. Even when we've disagreed, we've managed to present a unified front to our daughter.

Whatever sort of issues I might have with my ex, I never let Madeline know about it, and I think the same is happening on the other end, too. We don't have to be BFF's or anything, but if we can be friendly it makes it easier for everyone and much healthier for Madeline. And so far that's what's been happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    And as a new writer who has just recently discovered that newspapers and magazines will fly me places and pay me to write stuff, I am wondering what you have found to be the most effective way of getting new freelance gigs. Do you do cold queries, or do you mostly approach people through developed contacts?
    It's probably been a combination of the two. There's a pair of magazines I'm writing for at the moment - I got one of the gigs because someone who knew the editor recommended me, while the other I just sent along some clips unsolicited. Cetrainly the latter has been more effective as I've built up my resume over the years, but even if you think 95 percent of the places you send shit off to are going to throw it on a slush pile, the other five percent might give you at least a serious look.

I always remember something my father told me when I was very young and first expressed an interest in writing professionally: Don't be shy about using connections to get your foot in the door. But unless you're a good writer and you're willing to do the work, no amount of connections is going to help at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JewFace View Post
    Crispin,

• By your own admission, you're a bit of a music geek. I think you may also be a bit of a cinephile. With that in mind, are there any perfect fusions of cinema and music that come to mind? You know, that moment of divine synthesis when just the right song/composition is matched to the perfect visual?
    By no means is this the first time anyone's noticed, but Manhattan's use of Gershwin in that glorious opening montage has always been a favorite of mine.

I'm also quite fond of the music at the very beginning of On the Waterfront. As the tension builds before Joey Doyle is thrown off the roof, the music is absolutely perfect. The smug calmness of the thugs on the street after the music suddenly stops makes it all the more chilling.

I also think Where the Wild Things Are and "Wake Up" works incredibly well, even though it's only a trailer. I get goosebumps.

Quote Originally Posted by JewFace View Post
    • As you've noted, you're happily partnered. That lovely fact aside, do you think you could ever date a woman 20 years your senior? What about a woman 15 or 20 years your junior? (I don't know how old you are, so let's assume that the 'younger' side does not dip below 18 yrs of age.)
    A woman 20 years my senior at this point would be pushing 60, so I can't imagine that. But when I was a teenager I did have a very brief dalliance with a woman in her 30's. That was...interesting?

Just around the time I turned 30, I met a younger woman who was working in a record store. I thought maybe she was flirting to sell more shit to me, but it turned out to be the genuine article. On our first date, I found out she was in college, and was 18. As in just 18. I felt kind of funny about it, but a friend told me that as long as she was legal and was interested in me, I shouldn't worry about it. And so I didn't, even when our night ended in bed in her dorm room.

My girlfriend is four years younger than I am, and that works fine because we can still make dumb pop culture references with one another.

Which of those books haven't you read? I hope it's not Catcher in the Rye.

Quote Originally Posted by JClemy View Post
    Which of those books haven't you read? I hope it's not Catcher in the Rye.
    Oh, no - it was Crazy From the Heat. But I really ought to do something about that one of these days.
    Last edited by stuporfly; 08-07-2009 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Oy vey...

Crispin, nice choices! I haven't seen Manhattan in years and I saw that incredible opening sequence with new eyes today; just 6 days away from living there. And, On the Waterfront? Yes! Bernstein's score is wonderfully intense and, at times, appropriately mournful.

Manhattan, Woody Allen, Gershwin, On the Waterfront, Elia Kazan, Bernstein? Wow. You are a NY Jew!

Hi stuporfly. I've asked this question to a lot of people in different ways. Have visual aspects of music, like album art or music videos, ever influenced your opinion of the musician?

Stupor,

What is the oddest impulse you have ever acted on?

e.g. Pulled the parking brake while in a moving car or kissed a stranger

Much love,
    AL

Quote Originally Posted by justinaqui View Post
    Hi stuporfly. I've asked this question to a lot of people in different ways. Have visual aspects of music, like album art or music videos, ever influenced your opinion of the musician?
    Given how much Duran Duran meant to me as a teenager, it's pretty obvious I've been roped in by video and art. And generally that works in the positive, though I'm sure I've been soured on an artist by virtue of how they've chosen to present themselves. I'm a music nerd, but I'm not afraid to admit that image has played a role.

How far does it go? Am I more inclined to listen to Miles Davis through the '50s and '60s because he looked so much cooler than he did after that? Or am I simply more enamored of his music during that long stretch?

It's an interesting question, one which I'll ponder for a while longer.

This might be the first legitimately interesting entry into this thread since Alchemy.
    Stuporfly's made this thread on his own, Randy. I was on a short-lived spin-off thread created by Real Talk in her anger against the board. This is actually the first time I've looked in this thread, because Crispin is legitimately interesting, indeed.

I also have a bias for New York writers.

Mr. Stuporfly,

Forgive me if I ask any repeats. I've just woken up. (1) How many times do you think a magazine or newspaper has rejected you? (2) Early in your writing career, how did you feel when you'd be rejected? (3) How does it feel to be rejected now? (4) Are you glad to have become a writer, or do you sometimes wish that you went down a different path?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Thanks for answering my questions. It sounds like Madeline is a very lucky girl.