Page 176 of 454 FirstFirst ... 171172173174175176177178179180181 ... LastLast
Results 5,251 to 5,280 of 13591

Thread: Get to know your fellow board members....

Default Re: Get to know your fellow board members....

Quote Originally Posted by JewFace View Post

• Who is your favorite NY director? Woody Allen, Martin Scorsese, Sidney Lumet, Spike Lee, Nora Ephron [snigger], Other?
    I've rather liked films by all of the above (well, I'm probably going to wind up seeing Julie & Julia), but I'm going to have to go with Woody Allen.

My mother had two small black & white photographs on her bedroom mirror when I was growing up: Mick Jagger and Woody Allen.

The idealized version of New York I was most familiar with was found in Allen's work. I grew up a liberal New York Jew, with highfalutin dinner conversations about Very Important Things like art and cinema and politics. I know it's trite, but that opening montage of Manhattan still knocks me out whenever I see it.

I still see his movies, even when I know they're probably gonna stink. I can't help myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by garspaceman View Post
    well hello my fancy pants.

Quote Originally Posted by JClemy View Post
    What's your favorite food from another country?

I go through phases with world cuisine, and my tastes tend to run by culture rather than any specific dish. As I'm moving into Greenpoint, I've had Polish food on the brain, though it's summer, and the temperature is too hot and too thick for such food. And even after the temperature dips as the months roll on, I'm not sure it's really my thing.

My girlfriend has mentioned a few times lately one Vietnamese dish or another, so I suspect that might be my next destination.

(I was tempted to answer this with an all-time favorite, the Cuban sandwich, which I order almost any time I see it on a menu. But I'm not entirely sure whether the Cuban sandwiches I've had most often have been Americanized to within an inch of their lives.)

If you were to live in another country for a year which country would you choose?
    I'd actually really like to live in Japan for a year. I've got friends living over there right now who absolutely adore it. If I had the money to drop everything and just go, I think that might be where I'd wind up after traveling a bit first.

I'd also like to spend a year in England, in part because I'd love to see show after show.

Quote Originally Posted by rskapcat View Post
    Crispin is just as warm & affable in person.
    Aw, shucks...

Quote Originally Posted by rskapcat View Post
    Stupor,

How did you meet your lady friend?
    How we met isn't nearly as interesting as how it's amazing it took us so long to meet in the first place given we know some of the same people and have been to some of the same events over at least the past decade.

She grew up in Oakland, though with the exception of a few years here and there has been in New York since college. One of those times she was back in the Bay area was the first time I was living in San Francisco. We wound up at a lot of the same shows, a screening of Yellow Submarine at the Castro, etc...

Same sort of thing wnet down a bunch when the two of us were on the east coast at the same time, with the most significant happening one New Year's Eve. I was at a show at CBGB, and while the headliner was what brought me and my date out that night, their support act was pretty fantastic, too.

I wrote about the show that night, and that opening act featured prominently, including a bit about how they'd taken pity on me and given me a copy of their 45, and how I'd rather foolishly left that 45 in the apartment of a friend later that night.

Fast forward nearly a decade, and I'm on a first date with the woman who is now my girlfriend. We'd been introduced a few weeks before, but then I went to San Francisco for a short vacation, and when I got back she was in Florida visiting a sick relative. During that time, we spoke and texted and did all that sort of silly modern connection thing (except Twitter, which I think is retarded), and during that time she mentioned she'd found some of my stories online, and as a result had a gift for me. Naturally, I thought the worst, because not everything I've written has been all that thrilling.

The gift turned out to be a copy of that 45 (plus the band's first album on vinyl), as it turned out that at the time of that show at CBGB, she was dating someone in the band. Someone I'd exchanged a few years of rambling e-mails and MySpace messages with after that show. Someone who I was eventually introduced to at what could have been an awkward party (but turned out not to be.)

She's really amazing, and I'm both incredibly lucky and deserving of her awesomeness.

Sorry...What was the question again?
    Last edited by stuporfly; 08-04-2009 at 03:07 AM. Reason: Blowing my load on the keyboard has rendered several keys inoperable

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lufs-al-ot View Post
    If you could have a conversation with one inanimate object, which would it be and why?
    never got answered

What's the "baddest" thing you done?

never got answered
    Fret not - I'm going in order and haven't gotten to that one yet, but I definitely will.

Quote Originally Posted by sames44 View Post
    do you have any recurring dreams/nightmares?
    I haven't had a recurring dream in ages. When I was a kid, I frequently dreamt about a pair of G-men in suits running in lockstep down a long hallway with many doors. The hallway would turn every now and again, but they'd keep on running. That doesn't qualify as a nightmare, I shouldn't think, but it was certainly recurring.

I can't remember my last nightmare. But now that I've got the idea in my head, I'll probably bust out something particularly heinous tonight.

As a writer who is your favorite company to write for? Do you do freelance or work for companies?

Quote Originally Posted by fiyahhh! View Post
    stuporfly,
    if you could play any drum kit in the history of rock, whose would you like to play?
    It would be tempting to sit behind something ridiculously overstuffed, like a Neal Peart kit. But I'd probably get sensory overload and snap into the fetal position within five minutes.

To sit behind a kit used by Ringo Starr or Mitch Mitchell would be pretty special, but the one guy's kit I get the most drum envy over is Questlove's. He gets such a fantastic sound out of every piece, andhas only what he needs. He has a crisp piccolo snare, which I've been known to favor if I'm feeling particularly funky. He's also got what looks like it might be a Trashformer, but is bigger than any I've seen - He might have bent that shit himself. He plays with a Yamaha Subkick on the front of his bass drum, which I'd love to use as well. He's one of my contemporary drumming heroes.

what part of brooklyn do you live in?

williamsburg would be my first guess....

Quote Originally Posted by SDsoldier7 View Post
    what part of brooklyn do you live in?

williamsburg would be my first guess....

Quite close, in Greenpoint. I'm there for good in November, but I'm still splitting my time at the moment between the city and the suburbs.

(Had to skip a few until tonight as I'm on deadline, but I didn't want anyone to think I wasn't going to get to them. There's a few I really need to give my full attention to, and will shortly.)

Quote Originally Posted by fiyahhh! View Post
    seeing as how you're already walking down memory lane, tell us about how your taste in music has evolved over the years. Did anyone influence what you listened to? What bands changed the way you approached listening to music?
    I was fortunate enough to be born to parents who listened to a wide range of music. I was hearing everyone from the Beatles and Rolling Stones to Ornette Coleman and John Coltrane in the womb, and that continued as I grew up. It fostered in me a musical curiosity that still remains to this day.

In elementary school, I kind of went with the flow, listening to rock bands like Kiss and Led Zeppelin, as well as enjoying a bit of disco and soul music. Growing up in and around NYC meant I was able to hear things like punk at a fairly early age, and while the Ramones were on my radar, the first band I really got into on my own from that late-'70s era was Devo. I absolutely adored that band.

I fully admit I was something of a fop, and as silly as this sounds, seeing Duran Duran on Saturday Night Live in 1983 was a pivotal moment for me. They looked absurd, but they sounded good and got the girls in my school wild, and that was more than alright by me. Seeing the band at Madison Square Garden at the age of 14 sealed the deal. I had ridiculous contemporary hair, wore leather pants and white Capezios, and got a lot of attention from a lot of nice-looking dames.

Punk was still around for me, and as I played in my first shitty garage band at age 15, Duran Duran werenít among the acts we covered. Two of the dudes were a few years older, and they got me into Minutemen, Dead Kennedys, Bad Brains and a host of other bands that made me want to kick my own dandy ass.

And I was also into early hip-hop, thanks to radio stations out of NYC. My dumb friends and I even had a breakdance crew, though I was woefully unable to perform even the simplest pops and/or locks.

College changed everything, and indie bands started to creep into my collection bit by bit. I also got into classic funk and soul music back then, and it informed the way I played the drums, giving me more layers to work with.

I guess my parents were my greatest influence on my musical development, largely because they made it so easy for me. They never discouraged me, even when I played the most awful synth-pap, and I guess itís because they knew Iíd come back around eventually. And I think I mostly have.

And now I get to return the favor, when I send new music to my father. Iíve gotten him into bands like Fleet Foxes, Grizzly Bear and countless others over the years. Iím only too happy to return the favor.

I think the band that changed the way I listen to music the most has been the Clash. Whether you feel their efforts to incorporate other styles into their sound was a success or not, itís impossible to deny their sincerity, and their love of the music of many different cultures. I used the Clash as a conduit to reggae and hip-hop, and I think that same philosophy left me open to other music, like Afrobeat.

If you could have a conversation with one inanimate object, which would it be and why?
    I'd like to ask my drums if they mind my kicking the crap out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    What's the "baddest" thing you done?
    Most of the bad stuff I've ever done has been fairly standard teen rebellion-type shit. I never drank or took any drugs until college, and even then it wasn't anything more serious than the basics.

Probably the baddest thing I've ever done was losing my virginity at such a young age. Not only was it a bad idea, but I was also unforgivably bad at it.

Stuporfly, besides your lady, you have another very significant other female in your life...your daughter. How has she changed your life? You've posted pics of the two of you spending quality time together, but tell us about the most memorable time the two of you have shared...And, given an unlimited amount of money and 1 week's time, what kind of experience would you enlighten her to if you could? (Your S.O. can be included in this package as well...)
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

As a writer who is your favorite company to write for? Do you do freelance or work for companies?
    I'm technically freelance, though more than half of what I do is for newspapers/magazines I've worked with for anywhere between 3-6 years. I guess they like enough what I do to keep me around, for which I should be grateful. I'll get to hang on to the magazines I regularly write for when I move down to Brooklyn full time later this year, but I'm going to lose the newspaper chain. Which is fine, because I want to leave before I get burned out. It hasn't happened yet, but I always feel like it's right around the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    Stuporfly, besides your lady, you have another very significant other female in your life...your daughter. How has she changed your life? You've posted pics of the two of you spending quality time together, but tell us about the most memorable time the two of you have shared...And, given an unlimited amount of money and 1 week's time, what kind of experience would you enlighten her to if you could? (Your S.O. can be included in this package as well...)
    Madeline is such an unbelievable kid, so every moment we get together is memorable for me. Certainly being able to see Paul McCartney with her at Coachella was a big deal - We're both big Beatle fans, and Macca is her favorite. Seeing the look of pure joy on her face as she sang "Hey Jude" with thousands of beautiful people and the man who made the song happen in the first place was pretty special.

Little things mean a lot too, like the first time she read an entire book to me, or just about every time she just hugs me for no particular reason.

My girlfriend would definitely be involved, as she and Madeline get along famously. With one week and loads of cash at our disposal, I'd want to take the kid somewhere in the world she might not ever consider. She's got a fantastic curiosity, and it would be such fun to see her soak up a new culture for a week. I don't have anywhere specific in mind. Just somewhere else.

whens the last time you enjoyed a peanut butter and jelly sandwich?

your pal,

cdubby

July 21- Soundgarden- Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    July 30- Rage Against the Machine/Muse- LA Coliseum
    Oct 21- Portishead- Berkeley Greek
    Nov 18- Pixies- Fox Theater Bakersfield

Quote Originally Posted by Cdubby View Post
    whens the last time you enjoyed a peanut butter and jelly sandwich?

your pal,

cdubby
    The kid is seven years old, so it wasn't too long ago.

It was delicious!

Banned

Favorite "ism"?

Quote Originally Posted by stuporfly View Post
    Madeline is such an unbelievable kid, so every moment we get together is memorable for me. Certainly being able to see Paul McCartney with her at Coachella was a big deal - We're both big Beatle fans, and Macca is her favorite. Seeing the look of pure joy on her face as she sang "Hey Jude" with thousands of beautiful people and the man who made the song happen in the first place was pretty special.

Little things mean a lot too, like the first time she read an entire book to me, or just about every time she just hugs me for no particular reason.

My girlfriend would definitely be involved, as she and Madeline get along famously. With one week and loads of cash at our disposal, I'd want to take the kid somewhere in the world she might not ever consider. She's got a fantastic curiosity, and it would be such fun to see her soak up a new culture for a week. I don't have anywhere specific in mind. Just somewhere else.
    Recalling the picture you posted of the two of you during McCartney and reading this just gave me happy chills!
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Favorite "ism"?
    Jism.

(I may come back and try to pretend I'm a deep thinker by changing that.)

Stuporfly,

Do you also write fiction? Non-fiction other than stuff for newspapers?

How did you get into writing?

As a writer, what do you think of New York City?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    Stuporfly,

Do you also write fiction? Non-fiction other than stuff for newspapers?

How did you get into writing?

As a writer, what do you think of New York City?
    I'm finishing up a novel, though I'm wary of saying too much about it because I know everyone says that. But I really am. I think it's pretty good, too.

I do non-fiction for magazines and websites, and I've made some extra money here and there writing promo stuff for a variety of places.

I prefer music writing, though it doesn't pay as much as other writing. Well, I should say it doesn't pay me as much. Other people do alright.

I got into writing through family - My maternal grandmother was a journalist before getting into publishing, and my father had great success writing for advertising and later in Hollywood. It was easy for me to find my way there, though hard - at least at the beginning - to find the discipline and focus to make any money at it. I got over that, though.

New York is a great source of inspiration for me as a writer, and a great deal of the books on my shelves are either set in or are histories of the city.

If I'm ever feeling as though I'm in a rut, sometimes getting out can be as simple as sitting on a park bench and watching the city happen.

New York is such a strange place, with the modern world constantly smashing into history. That disparity is humbling, but also inspiring.
    Last edited by stuporfly; 08-05-2009 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Fucking BlackBerry

Boxers or briefs?

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    Boxers or briefs?
    Boxers, each pair more ludicrous than the last.

How ludacris was your last pair of boxers?
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    Here is all I'll say about borders ... the Los Angeles Angels.

Quote Originally Posted by zenidogx View Post
    How ludacris was your last pair of boxers?
    They've got ants on them. Hopefully no real ants, but even so that's an itchy image to have in such a sensitive area.

Quote Originally Posted by stuporfly View Post
    They've got ants on them. Hopefully no real ants, but even so that's an itchy image to have in such a sensitive area.
    I'll put you down for this much:

Speaking of great lyricists, what's your favorite kind of songwriting? Who are you favorite songwriters across different genres of music?
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    Here is all I'll say about borders ... the Los Angeles Angels.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

This might be the first legitimately interesting entry into this thread since Alchemy.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.