Page 154 of 454 FirstFirst ... 149150151152153154155156157158159 ... LastLast
Results 4,591 to 4,620 of 13591

Thread: Get to know your fellow board members....

Default Re: Get to know your fellow board members....

Boarderwoozel!!

How did you come to be a big fan of The Pixies?

Which is your favorite Pixies album/CD?

Wasn't Kim a hottie back in the day.( not so much a question as it is a fact)
    feel free to answer anyway.

How many times have you seen the Pixies?

Are you going to purchase the new compilation coming out soon?
    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    Woozy, did you feel the connection during our drunk bro-chat last night?
    Most definitely. I imagine we would do very well hanging out.
    What do you think causes people to create art in any form?
    Creative release first and foremost. After that it ranges from necessity, conveying messages through alternative mediums or whatever else. It's a tough question because it all comes down to inspiration and we all draw that from such different places. That response felt a bit rambly, meh.
    Other than Coachella, what would be your perfect concert? Headliner w/ opener, what venue?
    Radiohead & Pixies (co-headlining) @ The Paramount Theater in Seattle. Old theaters are my favorite venues by a long shot. Their history and personality are very appealing.

Or the Pyramid, I missed the fucking robots in the Pyramid. I would do some pretty degrading things to get another shot at that
    What is your favorite time of day?
    Around midnight. It's prime time for bars, clubs and parties. Most people aren't sloppy drunk but loose enough to ease any inhibitions and get a little crazy.
    Who is your guilty pleasure musically?
    I'm not sure that I have any pure guilty pleasures like The Killers, JJ or whatever else. I love Tori Amos, Regina Spektor etc. but thats a given to me, they're both immensely talented. Same with classical composers, I really appreciate their attention to detail. Beautiful music.

Maybe Air Traffic - Fractured Life. I discovered them doing my homework for Pukkelpop and completely fell in love with them. But they're pretty cheesy emotional poppish rock that I'll probably burn myself out on very quickly. Oh well.

I really like the way he says "pretty." It's rather pathetic.
    Boarderwoozel!!

How did you come to be a big fan of The Pixies?
    I owe that to an ex. They introduced me to Pixies and one of our first dates was going to an Interpol show when I literally had no clue who they were. It was at the Paramount theater and I really want another shot at that show.

Anyway, I was really into punk at the time and Surfer Rosa's edgier sound really resonated with me. I was hooked.
    Which is your favorite Pixies album/CD?
    Surfer Rosa was my first love and as such, I had championed it as their best work until recently. Doolittle really is an amazing album and deserves to beat out Surfer Rosa if only by a hair. But as far as I'm concerned they're 1a & 1b. Surfer Rosa being a little more experimental and Doolittle more straight rock.

I listen to Wave of Mutilation:Best Of Pixies quite a bit.
    Wasn't Kim a hottie back in the day.( not so much a question as it is a fact)
    feel free to answer anyway.
    I concur.
    How many times have you seen the Pixies?
    One sweet night. Sasquatch 2005 @ The Gorge. Looking back at the lineup now, it's really impressive.

Bloc Party > Arcade Fire > Wilco > Kanye (before he was loathed) > Modest Mouse > Pixies.

I had rail between Frank and Kim, it was a good night.
    Are you going to purchase the new compilation coming out soon?
    Maybe not when it initially comes out but eventually, yes. Essentially it's if I have extra money at the time. I'm trying to save so I can eat in Europe later this summer.
    Last edited by boarderwoozel3; 06-21-2009 at 05:29 PM.

boarderwoozel3,
    please take us on a journey through the musical phases of your life. What did you listen to as a kid? Did you have any siblings/parents influencing your choice in music? Which bands got you into different genres of music?

Jeff,

What would be your perfect 4 or 5 course meal? Feel free to also include location and any people as well

What took you so long to come around to radiohead?

July 21- Soundgarden- Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    July 30- Rage Against the Machine/Muse- LA Coliseum
    Oct 21- Portishead- Berkeley Greek
    Nov 18- Pixies- Fox Theater Bakersfield

What's wrong with you?

Quote Originally Posted by fiyahhh! View Post
    boarderwoozel3,
    please take us on a journey through the musical phases of your life. What did you listen to as a kid? Did you have any siblings/parents influencing your choice in music? Which bands got you into different genres of music?
    Oh dear, I was a horribly misguided youth. I have one younger sister who listens to pop country and whatever MTV feeds her and parents who listen to cds they buy at starbucks and country. Zero exaggeration.

I started off well. The first tape I ever bought was The Beastie Boys - Ill Communication. I think the tape was green. RATM - Evil Empire was one of the first CDs I owned. After that, with no guiding light I listened to what was on MTV and the radio through Jr. High. Some rap, rap rock, shitty alternative. It's embarrassing to look back on now.

In high school I was your typical conflicted youth. I was super into snowboarding--still am--and in a magazine interview one of my favorite riders at the time talked about how he listened to certain music to get him pumped up to go just a little bigger in the park/pipe/whatever:
    Bad Religion - Suffer
    NOFX - Ribbed
    The Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables
    I bought those albums, BR's Stranger than Fiction and Rancid's ...And Out Come The Wolves. That's the day I fell in love with music. Never before had music resonated with me like those albums did.

That's when I started going to smaller punk shows. A wonderful move away from the cheesy arena rock or radio station basketball arena shows. Because let's face it, Arco Arena blows.

Many warped tours later, I'm in College and the ex I mentioned before happened to be into really good music. Pixies, dance bands, Coachella music in general. I was almost strictly listening to punk at the time so it took a minute to warm up to it. Pixies were paramount in facilitiating that transition. Honorable mention to Arctic Monkeys as well.

So now it's 2007 and that ex calls me one morning to announce that Rage is getting back together. Goes roughly like this:
    Ex: "Jeff, Rage is getting back together for a one off show!"
    Me: "Oh shit, that's awesome! Where?"
    Ex: "Indio, CA. At a festival called 'Coachella' or something like that. I looked at the lineup and it's pretty damn good."
    Me: "Hold on." *googles drive time from Seattle to Indio* "It's fully doable. But I hardly know anyone in the lineup. Fuck it. Road trip, let's do it."

The rest as they say, is history. I found my way here to get info on the festival and was sucked in. You all know a lot about a ton of good music and I can't thank you enough for it.

Getting into EDM entailed walking into the Sahara for Felix da Housecat and Benny Banassi on Friday of Coachella 2007. That tent is just a nasty, hedonistic party and I love every second of it. The positive, overwhelming energy is all consuming and so fun succumb to.

And here we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Cdubby View Post
    What took you so long to come around to radiohead?
    Maybe it just wasn't my time? Not sure but last winter/spring I forced myself to buy and listen to OK Computer, Amneziac and Hail To The Theif a few times each. The First run though HTTT I was just sitting there pondering this very question. Better late than never though.

Back in high school I had a copy of HTTT in my hands and was about to buy it because of all the hype it was getting but decided against it for whatever reason. So close, yet so far. Glad that everything came full circle in the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by anti-square View Post
    What's wrong with you?
    Not enough cowbell.

Quote Originally Posted by indietron View Post
    Jeff,

What would be your perfect 4 or 5 course meal? Feel free to also include location and any people as well
    First of all it would have to include copious amounts of amazing wine. Given the dishes I'm about to fantasize about, we should go Pinot > Zin > Champagne.

There's a restaurant in Seattle, Wild Ginger, an Asian fusion place. It's absolutely amazing and considering the quality, moderately priced at ~$200 for dinner and wine for two. Everything dish on the menu is phenomenal. My favorites include:

Fresh Tofu Spring Rolls - A tossup for the best starter ever w/ French onion soup
    Spicy Chilli Green Beans - Pan fried in a little oil and chilli flakes. Just yum.
    Duck on bow? rolls with some kind of orange sauce - You essentially make your own little duck sandwiches which are to die for.
    Flowerless Chocolate cake = silly decadent and rich or their blueberry ice cream is amazing as well. I usually order two or three different desserts so everyone can nibble on everything. You really can't go wrong.

I eat at Wild Ginger about once or twice a year and every time it lives up to my extremely lofty expectations.
    Last edited by boarderwoozel3; 06-21-2009 at 05:08 PM.

Jeff, please feel free to select any or all of these questions.

• Radiohead is playing the White River Ampitheatre. They will only be playing songs from two of their studio albums. Which two will it be? They will include a brand new cover in their third encore. What song will they cover?

• Jeff Bezos, founder of AMAZON.COM was scheduled to attend a special dinner at the White House. He is taken ill and you are the only other Jeff available. Imagine, if you will, that this dinner is like a scene out of The Godfather. You will be allowed 5 mins of one on one time with President Obama. You're allowed to ask him one question which he must answer truthfully and to your satisfaction. You are also allowed to ask him to do one thing. Be it make a statement, take an action, make a request of congress, make an appointment. You decide.

• You mentioned a love of classical music. Who are two of your favorite composers and what are your favorite pieces by them? They don't have to be your top 2; just 2 of your favorites.

Thank you for your consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by JewFace View Post
    Jeff, please feel free to select any or all of these questions.

Radiohead is playing the White River Ampitheatre. They will only be playing songs from two of their studio albums. Which two will it be? They will include a brand new cover in their third encore. What song will they cover?
    First of all, I'm irritated they're playing White River. It's located in Auburn, WA. A meth infested, hee-haw, trashy, trailer park excuse for a suburb with an identity problem. See: wiggas. Uggh.

Anyway, after I got done crying, the answer would be Kid A and Hail To The Thief. I'm with Tommy in that HTTT is underrated in the grand scheme of Radiohead's catalogue. But to each their own.

For the encore cover I'd love to see their rendition of Protection by Massive Attack. I can see Thom doing a good job with the powerful lyrics.

Jeff Bezos, founder of AMAZON.COM was scheduled to attend a special dinner at the White House. He is taken ill and you are the only other Jeff available. Imagine, if you will, that this dinner is like a scene out of The Godfather. You will be allowed 5 mins of one on one time with President Obama. You're allowed to ask him one question which he must answer truthfully and to your satisfaction. You are also allowed to ask him to do one thing. Be it make a statement, take an action, make a request of congress, make an appointment. You decide.
    Ironically, I was able to meet then President Clinton in a similar fashion. Back in 5th grade on Halloween, Clinton had a fundraiser in Oakland that my father was involved with. It being Halloween, my father had to bribe me with a large bag of candy. There was a state legislator named Jeff Smith who couldn't make it so I took his place. I recall Bill being a nice guy, shook my hand, made chit chat for a few moments before taking a picture. That photo is still in my parents house back in CA, horrible mid 90s bowl haircut and all.

My meeting with Don Obama... I would request that he appoint a--or as many as possible--young, extremely liberal supreme court Justice. I think in the long run that would be the most productive action I could ask of him.

Then I'd ask for his insight on politics and campaigning to fill whatever time I had left.
    You mentioned a love of classical music. Who are two of your favorite composers and what are your favorite pieces by them? They don't have to be your top 2; just 2 of your favorites.

Thank you for your consideration.
    Thanks for the well thought out questions.

Joaquin Rodrigo - Danza de las hachas from "Fantasia para un gentilhomme"
    -It makes me want to frolic around the gardens of Versailles (sans guillotine) Very powerful

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Horn Concerto #4 In E Flat, K 495 - 3. Rondo: Allegro Vivace
    Last edited by boarderwoozel3; 06-21-2009 at 07:30 PM.

You keep dropping Arco Arena. Where the fuck did you grow up? And tell us more about that.

Shows us some pictures of your dog and tell us a little about her.

Quote Originally Posted by kingsblend420 View Post
    You keep dropping Arco Arena. Where the fuck did you grow up? And tell us more about that.
    Born in Sacramento, raised in Davis, CA. As in University of California Davis. It's about 25 minutes away from Arco so that's where I caught my first few shows.

Davis was alright for a valley university town. The university pretty much made it worthwhile. About 60k people, very affluent, low crime, etc. etc.

Some decent shows came trough as well. I saw Rancid, The Roots and NOFX on campus. The Pixies played a Coachella warmup show there in 2004 before I knew who they were, bummer.

The NOFX show was particularly memorable. I was 17 and lost my concert ticket biking to the venue. There had been a fair amount of drug and alcohol usage. Upon arrival I had to buy a new ticket but to my chagrin, the floor was sold out! After entering the venue and trying to finagle my way onto the floor unsuccessfully, I take to walking around. I'm very familiar with the venue, the UCD Rec Hall, which has a running path around the top. I start walking around that right past security,--no questions or anything??-- down some stairs and right up the ramp to the stage. I proceed to start drinking what I think are the bands beers and talking to Eric Melvin. At one point a roadie told me to stick to the becks because the band liked the Guinness. This same individual kept opening the beers for me too. Keep in mind I look young now, at 22. At 17 there was no way I could have looked legit. The next day at school all my friends whom I lost at the show said they saw me back there, it was pretty damn cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by JClemy View Post
    Shows us some pictures of your dog and tell us a little about her.
    My favorite dog died a few years back around Thanksgiving. I was surprisingly upset about it too. Granted I got her as a puppy in third grade and essentially grew up with her for the next 13 years. She was the sweetest Yellow Lab. Humph.

Currently, I don't have the capacity to care for a large dog living in an apt. so Zin (like the wine) is living with my parents in CA. He's a bat shit crazy, gorgeous purebred Black Lab. We found him at a rescued Lab shelter in Yolo county. Unfortunately we suspect abusive past owners are to blame for his personality issues. He was really untrusting and aggressive at first but has warmed up to us. I've posted this picture before but it's the only one I have:

Last edited by boarderwoozel3; 06-21-2009 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    Born in Sacramento, raised in Davis, CA. As in University of California Davis. It's about 25 minutes away from Arco so that's where I caught my first few shows.

Davis was alright for a valley university town. The university pretty much made it worthwhile. About 60k people, very affluent, low crime, etc. etc.
    LOL. Davis. I know. Don't say anymore. At least it wasn't Visalia though.

Woozel,
    1. What do you do for a living and how long do you plan on sticking with it?
    2. Can you please share with us your favorite childhood memory and explain why it is your favorite

Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post

Bloc Party > Arcade Fire > Wilco > Kanye (before he was loathed) > Modest Mouse > Pixies.
    Good god, that sounds amazing

Quote Originally Posted by seandlr View Post
    Woozel,
    1. What do you do for a living and how long do you plan on sticking with it?
    I'm studying communicaitons at the University of Washington and am unsure what I want to do with it. Well, I want to go into journalism but you can see the problem there. That degree should lend itself well to a number of different areas so hopefully something in the realm of politics or non-shitty gov't comes up.
    2. Can you please share with us your favorite childhood memory and explain why it is your favorite
    On Christmas a number of years ago my parents bought me a Sega Genesis when it was the hot console. I didn't even ask for it so was completely blindsided and ecstatic. Opening that box was one of those awesome kid moments.

Or when I was in 4th or 5th grade we used to get the dog exercise in a fun creative way. My father would race ahead on a bicycle with the dog in hot pursuit, while I'm holding onto the leash and getting towed on roller blades. I always had a blast. It was a sad day when I became too big for the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by seandlr View Post
    Good god, that sounds amazing
    It was pretty sweet but I didn't appreciate it like I would now. Bloc Party was great, I didn't know about Arcade Fire , Wilco just sucked, Kanye was really good and that was one of the first shows he played Gold Digger at (lulz), then MM and Pixies were spectacular.

I'm really bummed I didn't save my ticket stub to that one.

What is your favorite gangsta rap song?

When you drink water does it have to be filtered or are you perfectly happy with tap??

If you could write an episode of South Park OR Trailer Park boys, what would it be about? Also give a title.
    \

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    What is your favorite gangsta rap song?
    I'm not too wild about gangsta rap. Not so much because of the music itself but I feel that a lot of people misinterpret it and act like assholes because of that. Not to mention I used to hang out with a bunch of scurrilous characters who liked to quote lyrics they thought were hard. In reality it was because they didn't have anything of substance to say.

"What's the Difference" and "The Watcher" from The Chronic 2001 are cool though. Or anything from Illmatic. I definitely appreciate the intellectual rappers more.
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWalk View Post
    When you drink water does it have to be filtered or are you perfectly happy with tap??
    I'm alright with drinking out of the tap. My current building seems legit enough. The last place I lived I bought the big jugs of drinking water.

If you could write an episode of South Park OR Trailer Park boys, what would it be about? Also give a title.
    South Park (I'm not familiar with Trailer Park Boys). It would be about the ongoing situation in Iran and packed full of the totally non politically correct humor that we've become accustomed to. I'd like to see the boys go to Tehran and take sides with the protesters but have Cartman join the Basij. There are some serious opportunities for, "Respect ma authoriti!" Title: ???
    Last edited by boarderwoozel3; 06-21-2009 at 10:42 PM.

Top Three Concerts of your life? (Don't have to be in order.)

Have you ever cried while watching a film or reading a book? What was it?

What are 5 cities on planet Earth you'd like to own a home in?
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Put a boombox playing Sarah McLachlan behind a fan, call it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by pancakespancakes View Post
    Top Three Concerts of your life? (Don't have to be in order.)
    Radiohead @ Lolla 2008 - Great set list, first time, awesome.
    Rage Against The Machine @ Coachella 2007 - The energy and atmosphere surrounding that set was unreal.
    Pixies @ The Gorge 2005 - Magnificent.
    Have you ever cried while watching a film or reading a book? What was it?
    I've teared up a number of times but can't recall the films. Never while reading. I've laughed uncontrolably while reading though. I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell by Tucker Max. Total male chauvinist piggery but some of the funniest stories I've ever read.
    What are 5 cities on planet Earth you'd like to own a home in?
    Paris
    San Francisco
    New York
    London
    Havar, Croatia
    Last edited by boarderwoozel3; 06-22-2009 at 12:12 AM.

Strangest thing you've seen at a concert.

Thank you for the excellent answers, Jeff!

Is Hail to the Thief really underrated? I think it was one of the best selling albums and one of my absolute favs. Actually, I'd make the exact same choice. Kid A and HTTT.

How funny that you've already taken another Jeff's place at a Presidential meet-n-green. Guess my question wasn't so off the wall.

Rodrigo and Mozart. No complaints there!

NEW ONES...

• If you were in Tehran right now, do you think you'd be on the streets every day? Citizen journalist, perhaps?

• Do you find Anderson Cooper and his flashy style of personality journalism as empty and annoying as I do? And if so, who/where do you turn to for better journalism be it print, web and/or broadcast? (Please note I mean no disrespect to Anderson cooper's face or his.. biceps.)

• What is a common misconception many people have about you when they first meet you? Why do you think that is? If you don't have an answer for this, then.... what is one quality you wish you did a better job of projecting?

• Bonus (if it was good enough for Bill Clinton in an MTV forum, it's good enough for you): Boxers, briefs or boxer-briefs? And, why?

Thank you : )

jeff! i'm excited about your week!

if you could make one book required reading for the world, what book would it be and why?
    Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    Lakers fans are some of the most delusional people in the world, I swear.
    my name is casey. i love pavement and i want to pet every dog in the world.

Jeff the Boarderwoozel,

Please describe your perfect day. From the moment to awaken from slumber to the moment you lie your blond little nugget on your pillow.
    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by JClemy View Post
    Strangest thing you've seen at a concert.
    I'm never too surprised about what happens at shows. Being and art form, music is going to attract a lot of passionate, quirky people. But off the top of my head:

-At the NOFX show I got backstage for. Fat Mike had thrown out his back the night before so played the entire set laying on a couch in the middle of the stage. White Russian cup holder and mic positioned to accommodate his reclined position. Maybe not so strange as very cool on his part. The show must go on.
    -Earlier this year at a Star Fucking Hipsters show (lead singer of leftover crack's side project). The lead singer was trashed and decided to dedicate his set to assuring he would never be allowed back at the venue. Bitch at the management from the stage, drinking. At one point he stopped the set to walk into the bar and take a few shots. The rest of the band just fiddled around for a few minutes. It was a good show though.
    -Any number of things at Coachella or other festivals. They come out of the woodwork for the big events:

-Or Any number of occasions when teenagers have ingested more drugs than their little experimenting bodys can handle. I've Seen some quality freak outs and breakdowns. Justice and MSTRKFRT 08 in Seattle were particularly good for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by casey View Post
    jeff! i'm excited about your week!

if you could make one book required reading for the world, what book would it be and why?
    John Barleycorn - Jack London

It's an accessible book that would resonate with the overwhelming majority of readers. It's the author's memoirs on his dissent into alcoholism. His self awareness and anthromorphism of alcohol is top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixiessp View Post
    Jeff the Boarderwoozel,

Please describe your perfect day. From the moment to awaken from slumber to the moment you lie your blond little nugget on your pillow.
    I'm going to assume that I've got 24 hours to work with after I wakeup and will plan as such...

After getting a lot of sleep. I'd wake up at 8am next to a gorgeous someone who I was madly in love with--I'm a bit of a romantic and the Beatles got it right, "All you need is love." We'd passionately play around and have sex for a while. But the deeper connection type sex.

Onto a light breakfast. Something along the lines of some fresh fruit and an egg on top of an English Muffin with jam on it. And coffee, ooohh, it would have to be Stumptown's Panama Esmeralda Especial BATCH #2. These heaven beans are $95/8oz. bag. I've have the pleasure of a cup twice and that is what coffee is supposed to be. So many different discernible notes dancing around your palate, mmmmmmmmm.

Soccer time. After a 10:30 kickoff my team would dominate. Everyone keeping their formation, working the ball through the wings--that's our strongest play. I'd shut down my side of the field from the right back position while still making a few effective overlapping attacking runs down the wing.

Returning victorious and undoubtedly sore, It's time to shower, meet up with my main squeeze and eat. After a fantastic shower I'd engage in a massage/cuddle/foreplay/maybe sex session again to ease those sore muscles. Then it's off to Honey Hole for lunch. Honey Hole has crazy tasty sandwiches. It's probably ~2pm now so it'd be a half sandwich to hold me over for a few hours.

Time to see where the wind takes us for a few hours. Call some friends, see what's happening, maybe hang out, maybe go to a park, whatever. It'd be a perfect 75 degrees so being outside would be optimal.

Dinner at Wild Ginger. I fawned about it above in an earlier post. It's amazing.

Time to go to a show. Could be a dance act, DJ, upbeat rock band, just not a calm croony band. Not that I don't go to a lot of those shows but I want to get loose. After the show is over we'd keep the night going by meeting up with friends. Out and about. I would say they were already at the show but for the sake of being realistic, they listen to shit music wouldn't buy a ticket anyway.

From here we keep the party going until the wee hours. Plenty of booze, some drugs, and certainly shenanigans aplenty wherever we roam.

Getting back to my place, said main squeeze and I get to I'm going to tear you apart sex. Lovemaking is great at 9am but after a night of partying, still drunk and high, you just want to fuck.

Fin

(or if that fails, Sunday at Coachella would make a fine substitute)