Page 406 of 454 FirstFirst ... 401402403404405406407408409410411 ... LastLast
Results 12,151 to 12,180 of 13591

Thread: Get to know your fellow board members....

Default Re: Get to know your fellow board members....

If you were a sleeping bag, what temperatures could one stay warm while inside of you?

What colors/designs/materials would you be made of?

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    What's the best ten bucks you've ever spent?
    I have one of those magnetic key holder box things that I bought to keep on the bottom of my car. It's seriously the best for people who are absent-minded like me and prone to locking yourself out of your car, work, house, etc etc etc. I have locked myself out of my car at Ikea, in school parking lots, and once at a party. I have locked myself out of my house too. Calling a locksmith can easily cost anywhere from $50 to $150. That magnetic key holder box now saves my ass so I don't have to call anybody.

Good to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    What would you want to have for your final meal with your parents if you had the knowledge that it would be the last time you'd be dining with both of them? Would it be something your mom makes or would it be at a particular restaurant?
    My father is the better chef in my parents' household, so it would probably be something he makes. He makes a lovely, very simple egg drop soup with shitake mushrooms and tofu, so I think I would choose that. Although his roasted brussels sprouts with balsamic glaze would be a close second place.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Good to know.
    Ha! Patrick, if in Honolulu in the next 3 weeks before I move, feel to "borrow" my car.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Courtney, what's your favorite and least favorite part of your body?
    Favorite: As I've gained weight over the past couple of years, my body has had some changes, so I think my answer is probably contingent on that. But aesthetically, I quite like my cheekbones, and also the small of my back. From a practical standpoint, I appreciate my eyes because I'm the only person in my family who doesn't need glasses -- I actually have 20/15 vision -- and my eyes are my principal faculty that have helped me study art history for so many years and work in the art industry.

Least favorite: I'm not a big fan of my ankles -- they are weak and occasionally will turn in while I'm walking causing me to collapse. It's not awesome. I used to be a pretty good figure skater when I was younger, and I would have to wear special ankle supports. I also sometimes feel like I got gypped in the brain frontal cortex department -- that's the area that is most effected in people who have long-term clinical depression. But overall, I feel pretty lucky that I have the body I have. It is fully operational, gets me where I need to go, and is responsive to training and has allowed me to do everything from row varsity crew in high school and college, to train for the Honolulu marathon and do long-distance running.

Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    Courtney, what's your favorite and least favorite part of my body?
    Ha. Given that we have never met in person, so I guess I have to say your mad internetting skills for both favorite and least favorite.

Your week has made me love you even more and increasingly more envious in the meantime. If you had the opportunity for only one more success in life, what would it be? Whether that be family, career, relationship, it's purely subjective on how you want to interpret it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    If you were a sleeping bag, what temperatures could one stay warm while inside of you?

What colors/designs/materials would you be made of?
    Hm, I'm pretty wimpy when it comes to cold weather, so I think I would probably a spring or fall-weight sleeping bag, good down to maybe 45 degrees. I'm not much of a camper, so this sleeping bag would be one geared more towards backyard campouts and fancy slumber parties, with less of an emphasis on practicality. I would be made of beautiful old hand-me-down cotton sheets with a high thread count that have been washed so many times that they are as soft as silk, with an outer knit shell of soft cashmere, all in ivory because there is nothing more lovely than fluffy white sheets but I'm prone to spilling coffee so ivory at least gives me a chance at perhaps hiding the stain.

Quote Originally Posted by Originalbob View Post
    Your week has made me love you even more and increasingly more envious in the meantime. If you had the opportunity for only one more success in life, what would it be? Whether that be family, career, relationship, it's purely subjective on how you want to interpret it.
    Aw, thank you.

Your question is tricky because there are a lot of things I want in life, and I'm not sure how to prioritize them. With going to get my MBA, I feel like my career is already on track, so I probably wouldn't choose that as my big success because I feel like as long as I stay the path and work hard, I'll be ok career-wise and find something that will be able to support my needs and interests. In terms of my family, although I have some tensions and issues, I do very much love my family and I don't feel the need to somehow create a "success" in that arena. And although I love (some) kids (in small doses), I'm not sure I want kids of my own, so that's very much something that's still up in the air.

I guess I would choose to have my one big success be finding someone to become a life partner and companion. I have very strong friendships, and I feel very lucky for my support network, but I do sometimes think about being single as I move into my 30s and what that means for my future. I certainly don't want to settle down with someone just for the sake of having someone around, and would much rather be single than be unhappily committed. However, I hope I can find someone who is just as right for me as I am for that person. It makes me feel vulnerable to even admit that I really want that -- but I do.

Thank you all for the fun week. Many of your questions have really helped me to re-examine myself, my goals and beliefs, which is always useful.

For this week, I would like to ask Somewhat Damaged to be the new person.

Rick, what is your relationship with religion?

Rick, can you give us a brief history of your dating life prior to marriage, and what you learned from those relationships?

Rick, is that new Aaron Sorkin show on tv going to be any good?

SD, when and why did film become a passion for you?

If you could eliminate 3 types of people from the earth, who would you get rid of and why?

Rick, who are your five most favorite and five least favorite board members, and why?

If a giant meteor was heading towards earth, what would you eat for your last meal and why?

Rick, if you went into a rage and murdered someone, where would you hide the body?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Rick, if you worked for GV, and had absolute power. what 3 things would you change about Coachella Festival?
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

Rick, please tell us what your own curated festival is: what it is called, where it is, who is playing, etc. I know you have it stored on your computer somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Rick, what is your relationship with religion?
    Currently nonexistent and likely to remain that way till I die. I grew up in a non-denominational Christian household and got "saved" a time or two during my teens but stopped bothering going to church with my family once I got my driver's license. The only times I go near a church nowadays is for funerals/wakes. My dad's side of the family used to be very devout but that all started going away when my Tia (aunt) Mercy died in 2007. My tia was the first one to have gotten saved and served as the example for everyone else to start attending church. My nana (grandmother) was inconsolably depressed when my tia died, got very ill and was hospitalized for almost the entire following year until she eventually passed away the following January. For my family, going to church was replaced by going to the hospital and there was probably some bitterness that developed toward God because of everybody who would regularly attend church before, only one still does. For me, it started off as just not wanting to go and then when I was going nuts from '98-'99, I started having these paranoid ideas that God was actively trying to destroy me, so I felt like "fuck him." Throughout college, I started questioning whether there is a god at all, and while I'd prefer to say I'm an atheist, I think the idea of God was ingrained so strongly in me that I'll always figure there's a potential that he does exist and so I just identify myself as being agnostic. But this is really the most I've thought about the subject in about 5 years.

Oh, so the reason I mentioned my family was because a part of me hopes it isn't bullshit since religion was actually a positive force in some of their lives (my tata was a huge alcoholic and nearly died several times due to drinking prior to "finding god" in the mid-80s) and I'd hate for them to have wasted so much of their time, although I fully realize that if what they believe in were true, I'd be fucked.

Rick, can you give us a brief history of your dating life prior to marriage, and what you learned from those relationships?
    I can give you a lengthy history of my dating life prior to marriage and it would be brief. I had lots of infatuations and few romances. In my first relationship, when I was 19, I was predictably immature and tactless and would say things that were insensitive, not due to maliciousness as much as being aloof and awkward. I developed a lot in my relationships with women through the friendships I had with girls I was in love with through college and the first half of my 20s. Even though there were a lot of unrequited loves (most often due to the women being lesbians, and only a couple of occasions where they already had boyfriends), we'd spend a lot of time together and I got a lot smarter about what to say to a woman and what thoughts to keep to myself or not be totally honest about lest I want to get in an argument. Above that, I learned to become more patient, which is kind of frightening because I'm still really impatient but I used to be much, much worse.

The biggest takeaway from my last relationship, which was simultaneously the best & worst thing, is that I have to look out for myself first. I was so enamored with this girl and put her needs ahead of mine even though that sort of consideration was rarely reciprocated. I paid for her to go to Coachella 2005 and 2006 and missed some acts I would've really liked to have seen (Chemical Brothers and Prodigy in 2005 the biggest examples) because I was overly concerned about being with her & our friends rather than at a set by myself. I overcame that in 2006 when everyone else wasn't as urgent about Daft Punk as I was, so I caught their set by myself and had what was up to that point the best time of my life, and all because I decided to just do what I wanted. When things went to shit between us a month later, due to her being so selfish and me being a jealous lunatic, I became really hardened and jaded and decided I needed to be a lot more selfish and self-sufficient than I had previously been. The self-sufficiency directly led to me meeting Jen a year later but the selfishness still manifests itself when, for instance, I get it in my head that I'm going to put hundreds of dollars into making a movie the same year we're getting married or that I'm going to attend a show I really want to see even if Jen thinks we should save the money.

Rick, is that new Aaron Sorkin show on tv going to be any good?
    Probably. Unfortunately, we don't have HBO so I won't be able to opine about its quality for a while. We've been thinking about getting it for a long time but if Ricky Gervais projects haven't prompted us to pull the trigger yet, this is unlikely to.
    Last edited by Somewhat Damaged; 06-25-2012 at 02:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    It's like finding out an old high school buddy is on meth, and you're not sure if any of the rumors of him giving handies behind Burger King are true but they very likely could be.

Weak response. Next contenstant please.
    LOL! <33
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafocaine View Post
    Great advertising strategy for her vagina though! As if having a vagina weren't all a vagina needed. Now introducing the Lustful Scorned Lover scent, by RSW.

SD, when and why did film become a passion for you?
    I decided that's what I wanted to do with my life sophomore year of high school, so when I was either 14 or 15. My best friend in high school & I would do videos for class projects (the best was an adaptation of Crime and Punishment done with pizza and a pizza cutter) and we eventually took a media course to be able to have more excuses to make short movies. I had a falling out with the teacher and got kicked out of the class and the two of us stopped doing videos together but I kept coming up with ideas and started writing scripts. I attended the University of Arizona, majoring in film, but their program was more focused on theory, which I wasn't interested in at the time, so I dropped out with the idea of going to a school that would allow me to get into production right away. I ended up taking a year and a half off from school before going to a community college that offered immediate opportunities for production. The bitter irony is that if I had just stayed at the U of A, I would've gotten production experience at the exact same time I did at the community college. That's a decision I wouldn't mind having back.

I remember watching movies on HBO at my grandparents' house growing up, stuff like Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and Big Trouble in Little China, and that undoubtedly helped to mold my passion for films. During that 18-month period that I was out of school, I went to the theater over 115 times in '99 and '00 and watched probably just as many films on DVD, so I suppose I still gave myself a fairly decent film education at a fraction of what I would've paid by going to college. After college, it really stopped being a persistent passion as I grew cynical after having worked on a couple of locally shot films and dealt with some really deceptive, backstabbing personalities. The spark of inspiration returns every couple of years and lasts for about that long, and I tend to make a movie during that time, but breaking into the film festival circuit is so fucking tough and disheartening. I would be really primed to follow up on whatever momentum I developed with the movie I finished last year but the passion just isn't there to do so. I'm pretty annoyed about that.

If you could eliminate 3 types of people from the earth, who would you get rid of and why?
    Only 3? I'll have to return to this later after mulling over who would be the most deserving of extermination.
    It's like finding out an old high school buddy is on meth, and you're not sure if any of the rumors of him giving handies behind Burger King are true but they very likely could be.

Rick, who are your five most favorite and five least favorite board members, and why?
    Favorite: Jen (duh), Tom, Tommy, Becca, & Ivy. No offense to the other friends I have here, but you just don't cut it.

Least: I put people who irritate me too often on my ignore list, so I'm not consistently annoyed by too many people on here anymore. The one who still manages to irritate me despite his posts being blocked is Goatchella, although I suppose some of the blame should be on the people who respond to him. They haven't done anything to bother me in a while but Brokendoll & Suffacated (if it wasn't for the feuds with Jen, then it was for that shit pulled on Patrick a year or two back). Then Devin the Dude (that "I'm going to kill you" business with Brandon a couple years back, now his seeming trolling in this thread) and whoever that Rosemont guy is (the geezer who acted like the authority on all things Prince back in 2008 then got himself banned after trying to scalp tickets).

EDIT: how could I forget Spooks? He belongs here. BD & Suffacated count as one, so I'm not over my limit.
    Last edited by Somewhat Damaged; 06-25-2012 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kitt kat View Post
    If a giant meteor was heading towards earth, what would you eat for your last meal and why?
    My mom's sour cream enchiladas and potato salad because both are ridiculously awesome. To drink, my requisite vodka + Diet Wild Cherry Pepsi. (I've drank diet soda for so long that regular tastes too sweet, which is why I'd still opt for diet even though I wouldn't really be all that concerned about my caloric intake.)

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Rick, if you went into a rage and murdered someone, where would you hide the body?
    Funny you ask that because the following questions came up last night: do any of your neighbors have a direct line of sight to your backyard or is the wall high enough to keep out prying eyes? And have you got a shovel or will I need to stop at the nearest Home Depot/Lowe's on my way?

I've never played before, so take it easy on me

SD, if you were to have a past life, who do you think you would have been? Or from what civilization etc. Why?
    Quote Originally Posted by involvelemons View Post
    Silent discos are like having sex with a virgin: really exciting in theory, extremely awkward in execution.
    Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    I bet Cara's gotten enough Twats on a Platter and Dick on a Stick to open her own Trolls to Go snack shop.

Nice.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

SD, what do you feel is the most positive human quality and what is the least?

Who are your heroes?

#1 would be television network executives and anyone currently on the fast track to become one. We would still have TV and people would need to be installed in those positions, but they would be made aware of the reason their predecessors were selected: for their insistence on programming to the lowest common denominator. The producers of shows like Toddlers and Tiaras and Jersey Shore are shitty but they only pitch shows like theirs because they know the executives are going to pick them up and market the shit out of them. If the networks didn't foster an environment in which mindless television shows could thrive, then the producers of those shows would either be unemployed, doing something else, or trying to come up with better ideas that would hopefully raise the medium. Even if they failed, at least the goal would be there. Right now, they're not trying to do anything worthwhile, nothing they would be proud to leave as their legacy.

#2 would be the people at restaurant chains like Domino's or Taco Bell who push themselves to find ways to make their food even less healthy than it already is. The pizza chains seem to be one-upping each other on how quickly they can worsen the obesity epidemic: Domino's feels that their cheesy bread wasn't cheesy enough, while Pizza Hut trots out their Dinner Box that features a medium pizza, cheese sticks, and cinnamon sticks. Not even a token nod to attempting to be a little healthier by replacing one of the kinds of sticks to salad, marketing that as an option? Basically, I hold them in similar contempt to the television executives because they are in a position where they could do some good (by offering at least a modicum of reasonably priced low-fat/low calorie menu items) and deliberately choose to peddle products that don't do anybody any good instead (save for themselves with the profits they must be raking in).

#3 would be anybody who drives less than or just barely the speed limit during rush hour when there isn't a car closer than 20 yards in front of them, particularly when they're unable to pull ahead of the semi truck that's driving under the speed limit in the ostensibly fast lane and that I want to pass already.

Off to kickboxing, be back in a few hours.

SD: If you could eliminate any band/group/DJ/Solo Artist past or present from ever existing, who would it be and why?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Rick, we've discussed comedy before and I don't think I've ask you this. How much of humor do you think is innate, and how much do you think can be learned?

Also, since you've been taking kick boxing for a bit, do you think you can kick my ass now?

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Rick, if you worked for GV, and had absolute power. what 3 things would you change about Coachella Festival?
    I would reduce the attendance capacity to 60,000; have an all-EDM festival between the 2nd weekend of Coachella and Stagecoach, which would exclusively book artists like those that were groaned about so vociferously this year, and have the tickets for that event go on sale at the same time as the 2 weekends of Coachella; and have the Safari tents cost $1,500 for 2 people and include air conditioning, a regular toilet (not a port-o-john), and shower.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Rick, please tell us what your own curated festival is: what it is called, where it is, who is playing, etc. I know you have it stored on your computer somewhere.
    I've got a couple in mind. The one I've bandied about the most is the Four Corners Music Festival. If I had Bill Gates money, I would use it to develop the land around the Four Corners (Arizona, Utah, Colorado, and New Mexico, for those who don't know what I'm talking about) specifically to house this music festival. I would also throw considerable money at politicians in all 4 states to make sure that attendees would be able to enjoy the same experience from one state to the next, meaning that if one wouldn't be hassled for smoking a joint in New Mexico, they similarly wouldn't be hassled for doing the same in Utah. Arizona would be the EDM "stage," as it were, with an electronic headliner every night (i.e. Underworld, Basement Jaxx, and Moby), while the other states would alternate having each day's successive headliner. The state hosting the headliner would go clockwise -- Utah on Friday, Colorado on Saturday, New Mexico on Sunday. And the headliner for each state would have some sort of tie to that state -- ideally it would be that the headliner was from there, but in New Mexico's case, that would result in the Shins headlining, which would suck. So more likely it would be the headliner just having a particular appeal to the demographics of that state. For example, New Mexico strikes me as being ripe for acts like Tool and Rage Against the Machine and Metallica, acts that would really bring out the testosterone-fueled Hispanics like HotHamWater that populate the state.

The other one, which is closer to being realistic, would be held at the Crescent Ballroom and have a capacity of 543 (the capacity of the venue), be invite-only, feature artists like Depeche Mode on Friday, Radiohead on Saturday, and Portishead on Sunday, and not be very long, maybe starting at 5pm and ending at midnight. 7 hours of music is plenty of time for me. This would happen if I were to win the Mega Millions jackpot (one of the big ones, like north of $250m) and I would promise to make a $1m donation to the charity of each artist's choice to get them to sign up.

Quote Originally Posted by ENluv12 View Post
    SD, if you were to have a past life, who do you think you would have been? Or from what civilization etc. Why?
    I'd fare horribly in pretty much any time but the present due to my mental issues so really, the other best time in history for me to have been born would have been 1970. I'd have been 19 when Nirvana's Bleach and Nine Inch Nails' Pretty Hate Machine were released, so I would've been aware of their existence before they blew up and would have been able to see them perform in small venues (or in Nirvana's case, simply at all). I also would have been in college during the independent film revolution that Steven Soderbergh helped to kick off with sex, lies, and videotape and that found filmmakers like Quentin Tarantino, Richard Linklater, Robert Rodriguez, and Kevin Smith being able to make their films outside of Hollywood. And by the time digital cameras like the Canon XL-1 became prevalent and affordable, I'd have been of an age that I could comfortably purchase one and have the experience to be able to make a film with it before everyfuckingbody was doing that and flooding the market.

SD, what do you feel is the most positive human quality and what is the least?

Who are your heroes?
    Are you talking about qualities that most everybody has, or the qualities that are most/least desirable for a particular person to have? I'm assuming the latter and going with thinking critically as the most positive and masochism/self-destruction as the least. Doesn't have to mean literally hurting oneself physically or to derive pleasure from it, but stuff like staying in a relationship that one is miserable in or working at a dead end job despite having opportunities and talent to do something more rewarding but opting against it because it would be uncomfortable and have the potential for failure.

I don't really believe in heroes but Steve Kerr would have fit the bill when I was 8 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by unit300021 View Post
    SD: If you could eliminate any band/group/DJ/Solo Artist past or present from ever existing, who would it be and why?
    Animal Collective. I think they're over-rated and feel like some people would contort themselves to say whatever new shit they released was genius even if it was completely unlistenable simply because it was unlistenable and thus so daring. This spot would have been reserved for an artist like Lightning Bolt instead if not for Animal Collective getting a subheadlining spot at Coachella last year and pissing me off with their noise. I actually went into it with an open mind and don't really think that I should've had to have been on mushrooms/acid or already a fan of theirs in order to appreciate what they were doing. I've seen plenty of acts, at Coachella especially, who I ended up falling in love with despite being totally in the dark about them, so familiarity shouldn't be a necessity.

Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post
    Rick, we've discussed comedy before and I don't think I've ask you this. How much of humor do you think is innate, and how much do you think can be learned?

Also, since you've been taking kick boxing for a bit, do you think you can kick my ass now?
    Maybe 75-80% innate. Some people are just born funny and with the talent/timing to tell a joke effectively. Most people can work at it and get to be funny on occasion, but for the most part, they're going to be hit-or-miss. I'm in the "funny on occasion" camp.

Dude, you wouldn't stand a chance. I took a kick to the chin last week that didn't knock me out, or even down. And my kicks are really effective; made the guy I was working with tonight wince repeatedly and ask me to stop a couple of times, and last week this guy said his leg was fucked up the day after we sparred from all the kicks he ate. So yeah, your only hope would be that it went for more than 5 minutes, since I still need to develop my cardio.
    Last edited by Somewhat Damaged; 06-25-2012 at 09:59 PM.