Page 185 of 454 FirstFirst ... 180181182183184185186187188189190 ... LastLast
Results 5,521 to 5,550 of 13591

Thread: Get to know your fellow board members....

Default Re: Get to know your fellow board members....

Bmack,

I will be asking my stock question:

Please describe your perfect day. Details are so very welcome.

Also, I would really like to meet Ed Droste. Can you arrange that?
    Ha Ha! Just kidding.

but not really.
    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

Talking Re: Get to know your fellow board members....

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post

I love a good Old Fashioned, but if the bar knows how to make them, I'll always get either a Moscow Mule or a Dark and Stormy.
    ooooh youre one of those high maintenance drinkers eh? haha i kid i kid. im a bartender and i make a damned good old fashioned when i have enough good fruit to use but the bar i work in currently doesnt have oranges or cherries so im often stuck making them an less adequate ways and they just dont come out as good. luckily most of the people that order them are ordering them for a passed away loved one as a reverence drink (lets have an old fashioned in memory of billy bob... or whatever) and dont know how they should really taste. ive never heard of a moscow mule or a dark and stormy, but drinks change regionally.

I'm fatter than I'd like to be and as a result tend to think that people wouldn't want to be with me the way I am right now, I'm not incredibly active currently.
    thats not the right attitude bubba!! im sure youre a handsome devil. and theres lots and lots of people who like big guys. i know quite a few of them personally. theres people interested in your body type no matter who ya are, whether a husky guy like you or i, up through the shamoo look alikes. get your head outa the gutter and in the game. im sure you charm the ladies juuuuust fine
    Years attended: ...'08...'09...'10...'11...'12...'13!!

bmack86,
    please tell us about your musical past. What did you listen to as a kid? Did anyone influence your taste in music while growing up? What bands got you into different genres of music? Is there any one song or album that changed the way you felt about music?

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    Bmack,

if you could choose next years 3 headliners and 2 subs for each day, based solely on personal preference rather then ticket sales, who would they be?
    I'd have to tip the hat to Bowie on one day, with Boredoms and Butthole Surfers as underdogs. Second day, I'd say Outkast with D'Angelo and Animal Collective. Third, I'd have Roxy Music with Eno, with Eno doing a subheadlining set as well as Joanna Newsom

Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    Mr. Mack, it is well known that you possess an extensive amount of music knowledge. Was there an early desire in your childhood to heist it, or was the knowledge pretty much there for the taking? (Either way, you're aware that you're guilty of possession, right?)
    I started really caring about music as something to follow and know and become intimately engaged with in 7th grade. Prior to that, I had lived in Victorville, and we had a few decent alternative rock radio stations. That was before Nu Metal came along and wiped out the alt rock stations there. When I moved to Bishop, I had to start hunting down music for myself, and I started to do research as well.

And, if indeed it was heisted, in what manners was this done? Through books, classrooms, or actual experiences? Or, if the knowledge was laid out providing you with easy access, whom would be responsible in aiding and abetting you in gaining this possession of said music knowledge? (Either way, you obviously got it and ran with it, so you're still guilty!)
    Hmmm, interesting...It says here that you are 23 years old. That's fairly young to possess such a vast collection of music knowledge. Is there any chance you may have been locked in a womb and forced to listen to music?
    *snicker*
    I started by reading, reading and more reading. My dad had lots of music, so I was used to hearing what he had, and I slowly branched out from there. I loved REM and the Smiths as a kid, and I took the next step with them, listening to bands like the Sex Pistols, Television, the Ramones and what have you because they had listed them as influences. In college, I got a minor in music history, so I studied a lot of stuff there as well. All walks of life.

Quote Originally Posted by SFChrissy View Post
    bmack...what's the current standing of your facial hair??? What flavors of beer are currently in your fridge?
    I've currently got 4 days of beard growth. I wanted to start off my orientations with less facial hair, and I don't tend to grow it until winter.

I've only got some Killian's in the fridge right now because, until today, I was living off the last of my Borders' paychecks from May. Now I have my loan money, so I don't have to worry quite so much. I could really go for something dark tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by seandlr View Post
    Bmack, what school do you go to?
    I started Loyola Law school today

Quote Originally Posted by zenidogx View Post
    Bmack,
    What are your thoughts on Los Angeles? What was the worst experience you had in the city? How long did it take you to discover the Smell and where would you rank it amongst other iconic music venues?
    I love Los Angeles. There are quite a few things I don't like (traffic, lots of the people, how ridiculously far things can be from eachother, the public transit) but the city just works for me. I've got some great friends here, there are some fantastic venues, I get to see great shows all the time, and it's close to the ocean and skiing.

Worst experience by far: I had gone to see Interpol in 2005 at the Grand Olympic Ballroom. All week it had been raining steadily, but there was a break that night. The show wasn't very good (I had seen them too many times at this point and they were starting to just bore me) and when I got outside it was torrentially pouring. My friend and I ran back to the car, but still got soaked from head to toe, and had to find our way back to the 10 through the flooded streets of Downtown. On the 10, heading towards the westside, I moved over into the far left lane. After a minute, I saw headlights coming towards me. Some idiot was going the wrong way, and I had another idiot tailgating me. I laid on my horn, flashed my headlights and he swerved out of the way as I hugged close to the shoulder. My friend was screaming hysterically, and it was all I could think to do. It wound up working out, but it was terrifying.

I saw my first show at the Smell at the end of 2007, but I'd known about it for much longer. I had friends at school who went to shows there, and I'd always meant to make it out to see Calvin Johnson when he was there, but I just never did. It's one of my favorite venues, for the fantastic crowds, the really cool space and the fact that bands genuinely love to play there. I'd say I prefer the Echo, The Troubadour, and, some nights, The El Rey, but it's definitely one of the coolest places to see a show.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I started Loyola Law school today

Wow. Thats an achievement.
    I have two cousins who are alumni there.
    Goodluck

JewFace, very nicely done! You did an awesome job last week. I'm going to have to add you to the list of people to look up the next time I'm in NY.

Bmack:
    You've just formed a new record label. What is the name of the record company?

Because you offer generous shares of record sales and allow complete artistic freedom, you will be able to add any artist to your roster (even buying out artists who are currently signed to other labels.) Name 3 major artists you would sign to your label and 3 emerging artists you would add.

Also, out of every artist you've seen, who has the best or most amusing stage banter?

Quote Originally Posted by Pixiessp View Post
    Bmack,

I will be asking my stock question:

Please describe your perfect day. Details are so very welcome.
    This starts in Bishop (where I'm from) and necessitates me having money enough to own a private plane.

I'd sleep in late. Around 11ish probably. Wake up and walk downstairs to see my group of best friends sitting down their playing their guitars and rocking out. I'd want to join in, and we'd just play for about two hours. Then, we'd hop up to Mammoth to ski from 1ish til they close at 5. From there, we'd snag the aforementioned plane, take it down to LA and go to Cole's in downtown for dinner and drinks. We'd then hi-tail it over to the Smell to catch one of the awesome Smell shows that we all loved so much. Cap the night off with a ride first to The Daily Pint in Santa Monica for some beers and revelry, and then to Venice, where we'd take out the acoustic guitars and play punk songs while screaming along.

That actually sounds like (without the whole flying from Mammoth thing) lots of my college years.

Also, I would really like to meet Ed Droste. Can you arrange that?
    Ha Ha! Just kidding.
    Possibly, depending on what show you went to. I kind of know them after having booked a show with them in 2007 at UCLA.

Quote Originally Posted by fiyahhh! View Post
    bmack86,
    please tell us about your musical past. What did you listen to as a kid? Did anyone influence your taste in music while growing up? What bands got you into different genres of music? Is there any one song or album that changed the way you felt about music?
    I'm lucky in that my dad has very good taste in music (he's come with me to every Coachella since 2007). When I was young, he was really into early alternative rock and Grunge. I distinctly remember listening to Out of Time by R.E.M. on an early car trip that we took through Arizona, and it seemed like I had Ten by Pearl Jam completely memorized by the time I was 6. There was also the requisite classic rock, but it seemed like we were usually listening to contemporary stuff, and most of it at least decent. For about half a year, I had a country phase that I usually forget about, but it did happen. That was also when I was into hiking and fishing, so go figure. When we moved up to Bishop, I started to branch out more, since we weren't always listening to radio and my dad wasn't buying music since all we had was K-Mart. I'd heard about this crazy thing called Napster, and I remember using it to download Nirvana Outcesticide bootlegs.

Nirvana was the antecedent, but I clearly remember hearing Rancid in 7th grade and wanting to hear more punk. As I already mentioned, I found more of that stuff through reading about the ancestors of bands like REM and the Smiths. When Our Band Could Be Your Life (awesome book, look it up if you've not read it) came out, I bought a copy the first week, and that was really the tipping point for me. That got me into Black Flag, Butthole Surfers, Big Black, Sonic Youth and so many others.

As far as the individual album, it was definitely Can-Tago Mago. I'd never heard anything like it before, I've rarely heard anything like it since. It was something that really hit me, and after that I've always been on the lookout for different, unique musics.

Quote Originally Posted by HorseTears View Post
    Bmack:
    You've just formed a new record label. What is the name of the record company?
    Cop-out: Andrew (Bballarl) and I have a (at this point theoretical) label with the name Heaven Hill Recordings. Taken from the Husker Du song.

Because you offer generous shares of record sales and allow complete artistic freedom, you will be able to add any artist to your roster (even buying out artists who are currently signed to other labels.) Name 3 major artists you would sign to your label and 3 emerging artists you would add.
    3 Major:Grizzly Bear, Boredoms, Joanna Newsom
    3 Emerging:Screaming Females, Cold Cave, Fucked Up

Also, out of every artist you've seen, who has the best or most amusing stage banter?
    That's a tough one. I love Tim Harrington (of Les Savy Fav) for his absolutely insane stories, rants and general exclamations. Stuart Murdoch from Belle and Sebastian says the most charming things, plus he has a great accent. And, just because I love her so and every time she says something on stage it gets a little better, Joanna Newsom.

BTW, Bryan...I checked out Screaming Females and guess what??

I Love Them!!
    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

If you had a chance to go anywhere in the world where would you go to visit? to live?

Quote Originally Posted by JClemy View Post
    If you had a chance to go anywhere in the world where would you go to visit? to live?
    Gut response to question the first is Russia. I did lots of Russia-based studies in Undergrad, and I think it'd be a hell of a place to visit. They have so many weird things that are always going on in that country, and I'm sure that it'd be a blast to be able to see it. Also, it might be the only "1st world" (tough call for them, because of the disparity of living) I can think of where, outside of the major city, you can see approximately how the people there have been living since before electricity. And lots of them still do, apparently.

As far as a place to live, I loved Dunedin in New Zealand when I visited it. It's a small city with a really good local music scene and there's some absolutely stunning nature around there. I saw a penguin in the wild there, they have the only mainland Albatross colony and Killer Whales pod there.

I feel like I was pretty standard. 16, parents were away and the kids will play. I don't really have any exciting sexual stories, I've not done things that would turn your world, and, as I'm fatter than I'd like to be and as a result tend to think that people wouldn't want to be with me the way I am right now, I'm not incredibly active currently.
    So, you haven't done anything that would turn our worlds? Okay, have you ever done anything that would turn our stomachs? Do you have any bad habits? What would be your worst obnoxious habit or offensive trait, if any?
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

I've definitely got bad habits. The stock one that everyone has is that I tend to procrastinate. I'm working on that right now, because I can't really procrastinate and survive in my current line of studies. I can also be generally unkempt with my living space, but I'm working on that too. I sometimes pick my nose without noticing it. That one grosses me out. I don't really have too many "gross" habits, just ones that annoy me and I'm sure annoy others.

What's your favorite beer or alcoholic drink?
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Wheels Of Cheese

If you could have any musicians career, whom would you choose?
    Same question, except substitute musician with actor and director.
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    What's your favorite beer or alcoholic drink?
    When I can find it, it's definitely Rogue's Hazelnut Brown ale on tap. I love Stone Brewery as well, and they do an astoundingly good Vanilla Smoked Porter that you can only get at bars that tap casks. And, I've been a fan of ciders recently as well. I blame my New Zealand travels for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Still-ill View Post
    If you could have any musicians career, whom would you choose?
    Same question, except substitute musician with actor and director.
    I'll think about this one and edit this post.

Bryan-
    Cats or dogs?
    What is something that would be insignificant to another person but makes you incredibly happy?
    Is there a band you were obsessed with 5-10 years ago that you now cannot stand?
    My name is Becca. Hi.

Facebook, yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    If it was supposed to be a joke, there'd be a cat in the picture somewhere. That's how you can tell, on the internet.

I sometimes pick my nose without noticing it. That one grosses me out.
    i do it too... but i notice it- and often admit to it.

Quote Originally Posted by rskapcat View Post
    Bryan-
    Cats or dogs?
    I love both, but tend to prefer cats. They're easier to take care of, they can enjoy living in a small space, and they're not quite as loud and messy. I would feel very bad having a dog in any urban environment. Dogs aren't meant to be cooped up, cats don't seem to care so much.

What is something that would be insignificant to another person but makes you incredibly happy?
    I guess one that, more than anything, lots of people wouldn't pay attention to, is incredibly blue skies. Since Bishop is so far from any cities and is so extraordinarily tiny, we get VERY blue skies. People who live there don't ever tend to notice it, but it's the first thing that blows me away when I get home. Also, on the flip side, skylines. I love sitting out at night and seeing a bright skyline filling the sky. I think both become insignificant to people who have lived in an area for any length of time, but I love the minutae of my everyday experiences, so things always tend to jump out at me like that.

Is there a band you were obsessed with 5-10 years ago that you now cannot stand?
    Hahahahaha..... Yeah, 10 years ago was 1999 and I was an angsty teenage boy when Nu-Metal was happening. I did listen to some decent music during the time, but I'll not deny that I also listened to absolute shit. LIke, horrible horrible stuff. I owned albums by Creed and Nickelback. I won't lie about it, because it's true, but damn if it isn't lame.

most embarassing show youve been to?

What are you wanting to do with your law degree? Entertainment law?

A reversal of a previous question: Is there a band that you now adore that you couldn't stand 5-10 years ago?
    My name is Becca. Hi.

Facebook, yo.
    If it was supposed to be a joke, there'd be a cat in the picture somewhere. That's how you can tell, on the internet.

I was at Street Scene when Fergie pissed her pants. That was embarrassing for her. Other than that, I'm not embarrassed by anything I've seen, except maybe Something Corporate (it was a date...That doesn't excuse all the creepy 12 year old girls trying to fuck the dickbag on the piano).

What are you wanting to do with your law degree? Entertainment law?
    You got it. Today I signed up for the entertainment law society, and Loyola is well known nationally for their entertainment law program. I want to do music specifically, and I think I'm going to focus on Contract law and probably new media as well. I'd love to work with bands directly, via management or tour agency, but I want to work in music in some form.

A reversal of a previous question: Is there a band that you now adore that you couldn't stand 5-10 years ago?
    Tons. Absolutely tons. I used to hate Bjork with a passion. She annoyed the living shit out of me, and then I heard the unplugged version of Big Time Sensuality and I was fucking floored. The first time I heard Joanna Newsom, she wasn't exactly someone I couldn't stand, but she grated on me. Now she's possibly my favorite female performer. Antony bored me to tears when I first heard him, and the nuance took time to really work its way into my ear. Those are the three that come to mind, but I know there are more.

Since cubrocker & I are the only ones askin' questions around here, I'll just keep going!

Junk food weaknesses. Are you a sweet or salty man? Or both?

Songs that make you cry.

Go!
    My name is Becca. Hi.

Facebook, yo.

Wheels Of Cheese

If you could take any musicians career, whose would you steal?

Same question for director, actor, author...
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

How come all the pervs came out of the woodwork for my week? Jeez-Louise!

Bmack:

Perry v. Schwarzenegger. I'm not expecting you to be an expert on constitutional law right now, but what are your opinions on this case?

Do you think this has a real chance of being heard by the Supreme Court?

Ted Olson seems to be [overly?] confident and even seems to feel that this case will end up being his legacy. Is he nutso, or do you think he could actually convince the current Supreme Court (assuming it makes it that far upon appeal) of his case?
    Quote Originally Posted by sbessiso View Post
    jewface is definitely the gayest one here, right?

Since cubrocker & I are the only ones askin' questions around here, I'll just keep going!

Junk food weaknesses. Are you a sweet or salty man? Or both?

Songs that make you cry.

Go!
    I'm a chip guy. I love original Lays. I'll eat them every day. I think, also, that the best snack food in the world might be chocolate covered pretzels. goddamn are they good.

I cry at weird stuff. It's not usually sentimental songs so much as when I'm overpowered by how fantastically well made and executed a song is. I cried a little today when I listened to Bombs Over Baghdad and Big Boi's verse hits perfectly with the guitar dropping back in.

But I always get a little misty eyed listening to If She Wants Me by Belle and Sebastian and Sadie by Joanna Newsom. Those two songs are just really personal to me without having any specific connections. They've followed me through some very happy times.

Quote Originally Posted by Still-ill View Post
    If you could take any musicians career, whose would you steal?

Same question for director, actor, author...
    Musician: Brian Eno. His career's been badass, plus he works with great bands all the time and seems like he really likes to listen to music.

Director: That's tough. Gut instinct says Sergio Leone. That guy really got it when he was on top. I'd also say Tarkovsky, except he seemed like he always had to fight against things and couldn't ever really make what he wanted. But he still made Mirror.

Actor: Fuck it, Bill Murray. He's goofy, but somehow has dignity now. And he hasn't gotten bad. What comedian from his time can say that?

Author: Burroughs. He had a similar sort of later dignity, only his early years were so fucking wild and disturbed and destructive and terrifying, and he was able to somehow write them out.

Quote Originally Posted by JewFace View Post
    How come all the pervs came out of the woodwork for my week? Jeez-Louise!

Bmack:

Perry v. Schwarzenegger. I'm not expecting you to be an expert on constitutional law right now, but what are your opinions on this case?

Do you think this has a real chance of being heard by the Supreme Court?

Ted Olson seems to be [overly?] confident and even seems to feel that this case will end up being his legacy. Is he nutso, or do you think he could actually convince the current Supreme Court (assuming it makes it that far upon appeal) of his case?
    I was of the opinion that the California Supreme Court was trying to get the Prop 8 issue moved on to the US Supreme Court by issuing their opinion. I don't know a lot about Olson, he does seem like he could turn it all into a circus pretty easily, but I think that it's a topic that's going to be showing up in the Supreme Court in the next few years, and I think Prop 8 will have been the impetus to get to that final appeal, because, at the end of the day, it's a change that needs to happen throughout the US.

Top 3 favorite los angeles eateries.

And what was yr best Amoeba find, if any?

In the form of a haiku describe the perfect sandwich.
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Shut the fuck up you pussy. If you dont get down with Westside Connection you have no credibility in the music world what so-ever. Get off these forums you *** *** and go bump your N'sync
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    I'm down with westside connect....fail again

who ya gonna pick next week?

Musician: Brian Eno. His career's been badass, plus he works with great bands all the time and seems like he really likes to listen to music.

Director: That's tough. Gut instinct says Sergio Leone. That guy really got it when he was on top. I'd also say Tarkovsky, except he seemed like he always had to fight against things and couldn't ever really make what he wanted. But he still made Mirror.

Actor: Fuck it, Bill Murray. He's goofy, but somehow has dignity now. And he hasn't gotten bad. What comedian from his time can say that?

Author: Burroughs. He had a similar sort of later dignity, only his early years were so fucking wild and disturbed and destructive and terrifying, and he was able to somehow write them out.
    Fuck yeah!

I don't keep up with these things, so sorry if these are repeats. Do you see yourself as a family man one day? If you could choose your death, how would you go? Describe the most terrifying moment of your life.