Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mastodon for 09

Default Mastodon for 09

Mojave at around 7? Would anyone else be stoked for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by sames44 View Post
    Marriage is a beautiful thing - everyone should try it at least twice in their lifetime.

Default Re: Mastodon for 09

Yes. Other people would be.

I would be.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I really like their albums, but the one time I saw them they sucked real bad. I think another chance is deserved though, so yeah Coachella 09. BTW Bmack LOL for the LB sig, hahahaah.

Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar

sounds about right. I can guarantee it'd be better than SOB

sure, why not? something else has gotta play during whatever im watching at the time
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Who actually saw SOB, other than RAGE PATTON? What a big fucking mistake.

Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar

I stood and waited for them to start, then left for cinematic orchestra when it became clear what direction things were going

I left SOB halfway through to go take a dump. I came back hoping things would have gotten better. They hadn't.

Anyways, I am not a huge Mastadon fan. Their recorded stuff is alright, but what I saw of them at Vegoose kinda sucked. However to be fair, I heard from some hardcore Mastadon fans that their Vegoose set did in fact suck. If Mastadon were at Coachella, I would give them a chance if no one else I wanted to see was on.

With all that being said, I would rather have The Sword at Coachella. They are basically a better version of Mastadon.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    I left SOB halfway through to go take a dump. I came back hoping things would have gotten better. They hadn't.

Anyways, I am not a huge Mastadon fan. Their recorded stuff is alright, but what I saw of them at Vegoose kinda sucked. However to be fair, I heard from some hardcore Mastadon fans that their Vegoose set did in fact suck. If Mastadon were at Coachella, I would give them a chance if no one else I wanted to see was on.

With all that being said, I would rather have The Sword at Coachella. They are basically a better version of Mastadon.

As much as I like Mastodon on record, they are VERY hit or miss in concert. They sucked royally at Bonnaroo.

You know who didn't suck at Bonnaroo. The Sword. They would be a very good choice if GV wanted to go the metal route. I've seen them twice and they were awesome both times. So good call with that, Rage.

The Sword would be awesome as well. What are your thoughts on High on Fire playing?
    Quote Originally Posted by sames44 View Post
    Marriage is a beautiful thing - everyone should try it at least twice in their lifetime.

I thought they were pretty good at Vegoose. I have a recording of that show i listen to occassionally...

It'd be cool to see them at Coachella. Supposedly they are working on a new album that is a departure from their other works...supposed to be more mellow.
    Coachella 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11
    Lollapalooza 95, 96, 97, 03, 08
    Rock The Bells 07, 09, 10
    Sasquatch 10
    Bonnaroo 09
    Vegoose 07, RIP
    Mile High 09

Upcoming Shows
    6/9 - Deftones/Dillenger | 6/10 - Cake | 6/17 - Buckethead | 6/28 - Glitch Mob | 7/25 - APC | 7/30 - LA Rising (Rage, Muse, Lauryn Hill, Rise Against) | 8/12 - Cut//Copy

Quote Originally Posted by sin213 View Post
    I thought they were pretty good at Vegoose. I have a recording of that show i listen to occassionally...

It'd be cool to see them at Coachella. Supposedly they are working on a new album that is a departure from their other works...supposed to be more mellow.

They were alright at Vegoose. I had a really good time during their set. They were fucking brutal at Bonnaroo. I actually went from Ozomatli to Mastodon and only caught one Gogol Bordello song in order to see it. I was waiting for it to get better, but it just didn't. They were jamming most of the time and it was WAY too loud. I thought their set was really short, but I think Against Me! ran short so it wasn't Mastodon's fault.

The best I've ever seen Mastodon was at Ozzfest in 2005. They've been progressively worse since then.

I think they could pull off a more mellow album and still have it be heavy. They are good musicians. I still listen to Blood Mountain a lot.

Hippie

Quote Originally Posted by Deviate_420 View Post
    The Sword would be awesome as well. What are your thoughts on High on Fire playing?
    Yes!! HOF is so underrated. Too heavy for Coachella though.

Mastodon were excellent at Pitchfork in 2007. They devastated the crowd with their intensity.

I'd love to see High on Fire as well. They've got an awesome sound, and I picture them being insanely heavy live.

Mastodon were excellent at Ozzfest 2005.... but opening for Slipknot this summer it was hit and miss.... sometimes decent, other times bad.... Id like to see them at Coachella though...
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

Baroness. One word, one band. Everybody who likes Mastodon needs to check them out.

I saw them both at Vegoose and at Bonnaroo, was quite underwhelmed both times, and yes it was EXTREMELY loud, easily one of the loudest sets I've experienced from a band of their fame/status... I did enjoy the Vegoose set because I knew almost all of the songs they played, but at the Roo I only knew 1 or 2; contrarily at Bonnaroo they fit much better than in the tent, and their crowd was way more enthusiastic.

I'm not sure if I would see them again or not at Coach, but if there was no one else good than I would definitely check out it. Would GV ever book them? I don't think its out of the question, they're certainly popular with this kind of crowd, and hey, as I always love pointing out, we've had The Locust... so anything's possible...

Quote Originally Posted by Sushov23 View Post
    Hahahaha oh I sure did, and in fact I saw WAAAY more than I intended as it was running late and all. I left Hot Chip cause I wanted to get on the bar for Islands, and I wanted to at least see one song by SoB (never got to see System...) so I arrived about 2-3 minutes before their scheduled ending time... ended up seeing about 6 or 7 songs, I kept considering leaving but I told myself "no! this HAS to be the last one!" and sure enough on they would roll.

The crowd was so pathetic, not only was it miniscule in size but it seemed like every "Bro," if you will, present on the polo fields that day was present and of the crowd, about 40% were involved in this really insanely stupid mosh pit. I'm not usually anti-moshing but God this one was gross...

I did get on the bar for Islands though. Funny, I'm really not even a big fan of them...

I'm really hoping for Mastodon this year. Either in the Mojave or the Outdoor in the evening would be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyboyUNM View Post
    They were alright at Vegoose. I had a really good time during their set. They were fucking brutal at Bonnaroo. I actually went from Ozomatli to Mastodon and only caught one Gogol Bordello song in order to see it. I was waiting for it to get better, but it just didn't. They were jamming most of the time and it was WAY too loud. I thought their set was really short, but I think Against Me! ran short so it wasn't Mastodon's fault.

The best I've ever seen Mastodon was at Ozzfest in 2005. They've been progressively worse since then.

I think they could pull off a more mellow album and still have it be heavy. They are good musicians. I still listen to Blood Mountain a lot.
    boy we have passed each other at a bunch of concerts but didnt know it.... thats pretty cool .... x****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by Sushov23 View Post
    I caught the last two songs lining up for Islands and Animal Collective. It was painful to watch.

So glad I didn't check out SOB.

You really suck while I love The Sword

Mastadon>>>>>>>The Sword
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Baroness. One word, one band. Everybody who likes Mastodon needs to check them out.
    Yes Yes Yes this is why Bmack is the man
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    You really suck while I love The Sword

Mastadon>>>>>>>The Sword

On record: Mastodon >> The Sword

Live: The Sword >>>> Mastodon

As much as I like Mastodon on record, they are VERY hit or miss in concert. They sucked royally at Bonnaroo.

You know who didn't suck at Bonnaroo. The Sword. They would be a very good choice if GV wanted to go the metal route. I've seen them twice and they were awesome both times. So good call with that, Rage.

I know it sure seems that way! I had a blast at Vegoose. I got to experience the pyramid and see awesome sets by Gogol, Muse and Rage.

We'll have to meet up at Coachella for sure.

If we are gonna throw in some metal, let's make it something serious like Sun O))) or Boris... I could live with Isis or Baroness if that's what it comes to though. I saw Mastodon at Roskilde though... They were OK.

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    If we are gonna throw in some metal, let's make it something serious like Sun O))) or Boris... I could live with Mastodon, Isis or Baroness if that's what it comes to though.
    Boris would be awesome in the Gobi.

Quote Originally Posted by Deviate_420 View Post
    Mojave at around 7? Would anyone else be stoked for this?
    No, Dillinger for 09, and thats the final word....

I went to the port-a-potties during Mastodon, and the thing was vibrating, it was almost deafening all the way across the field. It did sound pretty good though, just way loud.