Thread: Bring Junkie XL Back!

Default Bring Junkie XL Back!

I missed him last year and recently picked up Booming Back At You... It's awesome. Bring him back, GV!!!!
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Default Re: Bring Junkie XL Back!

passive, you seem like a good kid and you like trip hop, downtempo and stuff.

but stop requesting acts for the sahara tent please.

thanks.

;____;
    Upcoming Shows:

Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar

dude, passive, this was on the train on the way to coachella:

super nice guy. we talked mixer tech for a bit. there were literally only like twenty of us watching

Was he, like, cranking it through the whole train? Or was it subdued?
    Upcoming Shows:

it was cranked in the car he was on. there were (three?) DJs on different cars. I just lucked out and got junkie XL! it was pretty win. and the gigantic scary special edition arizona-sized redbulls didn't exactly detract from the situation, either.

Junkie was amazing this year, just as he was in 2005. And I don't think my rolling on ecstasy had too much to do with it, heh. I'd definitely like to see him come back again.
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a

i've seen him a few times. after the second one i swore to myself i wouldn't see him again. but then he played the last set in an electronic festival in south america and there was nothing else to see at that time. it was 5am, so i saw him. once more i said to myself i wouldn't see him and i've kept my word since then. that was around 2001. i don't remember having seen a worse set than junkie xl's. he wasn't even trying to beatmatch. he was faking all the time, playing a mixed cd. his music is pretty bad anyway.

if i was in the same car as him in trainchella, i would've probably jumped out of the train.

Passive, please stop requesting sub-par and/or incredibly obscure artists. I know you have to like some good music out there, right? Start getting behind, like, Massive Attack, or something.

Quote Originally Posted by orbit View Post
    i've seen him a few times. after the second one i swore to myself i wouldn't see him again. but then he played the last set in an electronic festival in south america and there was nothing else to see at that time. it was 5am, so i saw him. once more i said to myself i wouldn't see him and i've kept my word since then. that was around 2001. i don't remember having seen a worse set than junkie xl's. he wasn't even trying to beatmatch. he was faking all the time, playing a mixed cd. his music is pretty bad anyway.

if i was in the same car as him in trainchella, i would've probably jumped out of the train.
    Junkie XL sucked at UMF '07. *I've thinking of doing trainchella just for the experience but wow, acts like Junkie XL may play there? YIKES. Trainchella, kthxbye!*
    Coachella 2015 Food Wish List
    Food Trucks: Germany's Famous Bratwurst, Fist of Fusion, Komodo, Oooh LaLa Crepes, Ludo Truck, Seoul Sausage, Vizzi Truck, Kogi BBQ

Restaurants: L' Atelier Cafe, Pho Vu, Le Vallauris, Tropicale, Pomme Frite, Tutti Frutti Frozen Yogurt, Crave, Cafe Scandia, Swiss Donut

WORLD of BEER
    Bring Back The Following:
    KazuNori, At Night + Market Song, Beer Belly, Mexicali, Crossroads, Baco Mercat, Stumptown

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    when does set times come out?

He was a bit fast for me in the tent. Then again, he went on one act after Ben Watt. My bottom lip tightens everytime someone makes reference to him playing on the train. Still pissed off about the whole thing.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by JSam67 View Post
    Passive, please stop requesting sub-par and/or incredibly obscure artists. I know you have to like some good music out there, right? Start getting behind, like, Massive Attack, or something.
    Lol, you really don't know jack shit about my music taste.

Plus there's enough people getting behind MA without me throwing my vote behind them.

Armand Van Helden is neither obscure nor sub-par, Hercules and Love Affair is one of the best things about this last year, and apparently I wasn't the first to suggest Etienne de Grecy for 2009. Also, it's telling that I have to go back to May of this year to find most of these requests, so FUCK your generalizations.
    Upcoming Shows:

Memorial_07

I only watched a few minutes because I ran to get a good spot for Kraftwerk.

does anyone know if he spun zerotonine?

I didn't see junkie xl at the fest itself, but I can tell you from dancing shoulder to shoulder with him for a lot of his set on the train that he does in fact mix live- his set is not pre-recorded, which is more than can be said for a lot of producers who DJ their own music. also, the allen&heath xone 3D that GV provided him with on the train had technical problems, meaning he was restricted to keyboard and mouse control. and he was still a lot of fun. I don't know if that was still a problem in the sahara- I'd imagine there'd have to be at least one other act using an xone 3D instead of an xone 92 or a DJM-800. I don't think he's mind-blowing or anything, but he knows how to have fun.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2012/0...m-synthesized/

"It’s been four years since Dutch-born electronic musician/producer Tom Holkenborg (AKA Junkie XL) put out an album, but he’s been keeping himself very busy. Since 2008′s Booming Back At You, Holkenborg has done production work for the likes of Madonna, Coldplay, Robert Smith, and Rammstein, contributed new music to EA video games The Sims 3, DOA: Dead or Alive, and Kingdom of Heaven, and worked with film composer extraordinaire Hans Zimmerman on films like Inception, Madagascar 3, and, yes, The Dark Knight Rises. Yet somehow, Holkenborg still set aside enough time to complete work on his sixth full-length, Synthesized, and has it ready for a November 27th release via Nettwerk Records.

As you can tell, the 15-year veteran has compiled quite a little black book of friends over the years (Elvis included), and he’s called upon quite a few for Synthesized. Tears for Fears’ Curt Smith, Tommie Sunshine, Fredrik from Datarock, and Chinese Flash Mob’s Isis Salam all make appearances. Junkie XL has also resurrected iconic psychologist, author, and drug advocate Timothy Leary, whose voice delivers lines from his book The Psychedlic Experience: Going Out during album track “Leave Behind Your Ego”.

The “pulsating” track “Gloria” featuring the tough, bass-heavy stylings of Fredrik precedes the album on October 23rd. As an even earlier taste of Synthesized, however, check out the video by Trippple Nippples for “Off the Dancefloor” featuring Isis Salam, followed by the complete tracklist."

Awesome! Looking forward to this. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Risingson View Post
    Awesome! Looking forward to this. ^^
    Yes, I saw JXL the last time he was at Coa and actually it was one of the most fun sets in the Sahara that year. Say what you will but when people get all wet over Steve Aoki (who REALLLLLLY sucks), I begin to question the taste level of many people in the Sahara. And in general, actually.
    Sahara is BroVille now RIP