Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

Hippie

Default Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

I just recently started listening to them (thanks to roberto's young'uns discography guide) and I'm really impressed with the song writing, there's some very good stuff on all of his albums. Have they ever been rumored to play Coachella or has he played other fests? I don't recall seeing them on any lineups of US fests.

What are your favorite songs and albums of theirs? I'm new to them but so far I like Murder Ballads the best and Henry Lee is probably my favorite song.

Default Re: Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

Murder Ballads is a great album, although Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!! has some really great tracks.

Hippie

Which is why I'm really surprised nobody mentioned any songs from it in their ten best of the year lists.

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

They sold out back to back nights in Seattle really quickly back in September. Methinks some investigation is needed.

Hollywood Bowl show had a good size crowd, he hadnt played L.a. proper in 5 years so yeah, people want it. Ill take this or Grinderman at coach

Nick Cave at the Bowl was a great show.

Thanks for the compliment, Backwater. I still think Henry's Dream is where it all comes together, with Tender Prey, Let Love In, and The Boatman's Call being his other three "can't miss" albums. if you like Dig!! Lazarus Dig!!, you'd also like his previous album, the double-disc Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus. It's just tough to go wrong with anything he does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

Straight To You is my my favourite track and Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus my favourite album. He is a wonderful stage artist and his interaction with the crowd is worth the price of the ticket alone. His PDX show sold out fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

omg nick cave at coachella would make me such a happy camper!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Backwater,

New Nick Cave is decent but 2007's GRINDERMAN was epic....
    pick it up immediately !!!

hearts
    ......:::::::bug
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

I'm really looking forward to hearing what they are doing for The Road.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus is his best
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Yes!!! I hear they'll be playing at Radio City in April

"Well, if I were to use that threadbare metaphor of albums being like children, then Push The Sky Away is the ghost-baby in the incubator and Warren's loops are its tiny, trembling heart-beat."
    Nick Cave

At the heart of Push the Sky Away is a naturalism and warmth that makes it the most subtly beautiful of all the Bad Seeds albums. The contemporary settings of myths, and the cultural references that have time-stamped Nick’s songs of the twenty-first century mist lightly through details drawn from the life he observed around his seaside home, through the tall windows on the album’s mysterious and ambiguous cover.

The songs on this album took form in a modest notebook with shellac covers over the course of almost a year. The notebook is a treasured analogue artefact but the internet is equally important to Nick: Googling curiosities, being entranced by exotic Wikipedia entries “whether they’re true or not”. These songs convey how on the internet profoundly significant events, momentary fads and mystically-tinged absurdities sit side-by-side and question how we might recognise and assign weight to what’s genuinely important.

Push the Sky Away was produced by Nick Launay and recorded at La Fabrique, a recording studio based in a 19th Century mansion in the South of France, where the walls of the main studio are lined with an immense collection of classical vinyl.

"I enter the studio with a handful of ideas, unformed and pupal; it's the Bad Seeds that transform them into things of wonder. Ask anyone who has seen them at work. They are unlike any other band on earth for pure, instinctive inventiveness." Nick Cave

On this album it’s not always apparent what instruments the band is playing: they may be traditional musical instruments but other sounds are clearly generated by objects unrelated to musical instruments. What’s being created is a collective musical language that’s rich and complex.

Push the Sky Away has a clarity and sweet strangeness that’s built upon the refusal to accept limitations, whether they be the traditional uses and sounds of musical instruments, lyric styles, or diminished spiritual horizons.

"I don't know, this record just seems new, you know, but new in an old school kind of way"
    Nick Cave

Push the Sky Away will be released in February 2013 on Super Deluxe Box Set, Limited Deluxe CD / DVD, CD, Vinyl and Digital.

Track one "We No Who U R" is available from 3rd December. The track comes as a download with every pre-order album purchase via nickcave.com or iTunes.
    "We No Who U R" will also be available as a single download from all digital retailers.

Tracklisting:
    We No Who U R
    Wide Lovely Eyes
    Water's Edge
    Jubilee Street
    Mermaids
    We Real Cool
    Finishing Jubilee Street
    Higgs Boson Blues
    Push The Sky Away

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds -- 2013 Tour Dates
    04-01-2013 Chicago, IL - The Chicago Theatre
    04-12-2013 Indio, CA - Coachella 2013 (unconfirmed)
    04-16-2013 San Diego, CA - Humphrey's Concerts By The Sea

7/22 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Prospect Park
    7/23 Witch @ MHOW
    7/24 Teenage Fanclub @ Pier 84
    7/24 Lauren Ritter @ TBA
    7/25 Nick Cave @ Prospect Park
    7/26 Cell Injection/Black Asteroid @ Output

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

I hope that Chicago on a Monday means they are playing here the weekend before, but I doubt it.
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

I have never seen Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, if they don't play in my area my wish is that they get to curate the U.S. ATP Fest (wherever it's held) next year.

I need to dig into more of their stuff, I've only heard Tender Prey, Dig! Lazarus Dig! and a mix of songs a friend made for me.
    Last edited by zircona1; 11-27-2012 at 07:21 AM.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Yeah, I'mma have to travel for this shit. I've missed a lot of bands in this hellhole pigfuck wasteland, but I will not miss Nick Cave.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Ugh must obtain Coachella ticket.

Anyone else in the "I Will Not Miss Nick Cave" club?
    Translation

Rufus Wainwright @ Stern Grove 07/27/14
    Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Of course. I'm traveling somewhere for that show.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds always seem to play the GV owned Warfield in San Francisco, and there crowd and venue always combines for an awesome experience, so if you're traveling, Bryan...
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

If they don't play Coachella I will be going to the SD show, no questions. Any chance they'd play the SB Bowl too?
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

Quote Originally Posted by zircona1 View Post
    I need to dig into more of their stuff, I've only heard Tender Prey, Dig! Lazarus Dig! and a mix of songs a friend made for me.
    Familiarize yourself with the eventual new album, Dig!, Tender Prey, Abattoir..., Murder Ballads, Henry's Dream, and The Good Son, and you'll be all set. As for the other albums, they'll pretty much only play the songs "Tupelo" and "Red Right Hand", but feel free to check them out, too.

Quote Originally Posted by dorkfish View Post
    Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds always seem to play the GV owned Warfield in San Francisco, and there crowd and venue always combines for an awesome experience, so if you're traveling, Bryan...
    The only thing that would weigh against that is the possibility of snow fucking up my ability to get to the Bay, assuming I'm still in the mountains. But I love the Warfield and San Francisco.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post
    If they don't play Coachella I will be going to the SD show, no questions. Any chance they'd play the SB Bowl too?
    Maybe if they were billed with a co-headliner.

I could see this happening if they do in fact play Coachella, as I'm sure the SB Bowl people could put together a great show with two or three other acts playing the festival.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

Great news! I had always loved Nick Cave but never got a chance to see him before that HB show. Still ranks as one of my favorite performances I've seen there. And this time around he may be at Coachella?? This day is off to a bang up start. Think I'll fire up Let Love In to celebrate.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Jeffey Lee Pierce was at the studio watching The Bad Seeds make most of Let Love In.I guess its not too important but I like the Idea of all these bands I like from the 80s being friends with each other.
    Translation

Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14

Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Yeah, I'mma have to travel for this shit. I've missed a lot of bands in this hellhole pigfuck wasteland, but I will not miss Nick Cave.
    I'm sure wherever "Vampire State Building" is not as bad as you make it out to be!

Not exactly the Bad Seeds but I saw Grinderman "billed as co-headliner" with the White Stripes @ MSG in 2007. That was their last NY show for Jack & Meg...good times!

7/22 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Prospect Park
    7/23 Witch @ MHOW
    7/24 Teenage Fanclub @ Pier 84
    7/24 Lauren Ritter @ TBA
    7/25 Nick Cave @ Prospect Park
    7/26 Cell Injection/Black Asteroid @ Output

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
    Not exactly the Bad Seeds but I saw Grinderman "billed as co-headliner" with the White Stripes @ MSG in 2007. That was their last NY show for Jack & Meg...good times!
    Last time the Bad Seeds headlined a large CA venue (Hollywood Bowl), they were paired with Spiritualized and Cat Power.

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Jeffey Lee Pierce was at the studio watching The Bad Seeds make most of Let Love In.I guess its not too important but I like the Idea of all these bands I like from the 80s being friends with each other.
    I also like to look at some of the collaborations he's done. Murder Ballads- played that one to death. PJ Harvey was awesome there. Plus he works with guys like Blixa Bargeld and Warren Ellis. I'd see those guys play under any circumstances but the fact they choose to record and tour (past/present) with Nick is almost too good to be true. Lot of talent and ideas there.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Last time the Bad Seeds headlined a large CA venue (Hollywood Bowl), they were paired with Spiritualized and Cat Power.
    FUCK ! Brad wins
    Translation

Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14

Last.fm