Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: So I got engaged last night

Default So I got engaged last night

My girlfriend, fiancée now, and I have being seeing each other almost 3 and half years now. I decided a few months ago that I wanted to propose to her. But because she is such a special girl, I decided she needed a very special proposal and I would wait for that oportunity. Towards the end of July I found out Gogol Bordello were coming to Vancouver, and I knew that was my opportunity. We both love Gogol Bordello and ridiculous amount, we both love music and concerts in general a ridiculous amount and we both love each other a ridiculous amount. So, I figured putting it all together would be the most perfect way to make a special proposal.

So I first e-mailed someone from SideOneDummy Records (Gogol Bordello's record label) and asked him if he could help out in any way. He gave me the name and e-mail address of the Gogol's daily contact. I e-mailed her twice, and heard nothing back. The guy from SideOneDummy said he would send some e-mails around and try to help out. I then go out a research all of Gogol's other contacts, and e-mail them all... and hear nothing. At the beginning of September the guy from SideOneDummy said he wished he could help more, but he had done all he could. Which I was alright with, he went out of his way to help me, so I appreciate that. However, I decided I wasn't going to give up. I made the decision to come down to the venue early in the day, the day of the show, and wait to talk to Eugene.

Also, in the meantime, I asked Becky's, my fiancée, dad. She respects her parents, especially her dad, a great deal so I knew this was something I would have to do. Her dad said “Yes, of course” and he gave me a little fatherly wisdom. We then told her mom and she gave me a great big hug. I then told my parents, my dad gave me a hug and my mom started crying and gave me a hug. It was a great feeling that the entire family wanted this to happen.

Anyways, so yesterday Paul (Paulb, the only other person besides our families to know) came down to Vancouver early in the morning. We were planning on seeing Filth and Wisdom, a movie staring Eugene Hutz and directed by Madonna, because we thought Eugene might be there. Well before the movie, I decided to take a look around see if I could see them. A couple streets down their tour bus was there, and the accordion player, Yuri, and bassist, Thomas, were there having a cigarette. I asked them about my "favour" and they said that they had heard all about me. They said they would put in a good word for me too. They also didn't know Filth and Wisdom was even playing, and they said if Eugene woke up before the movie, they would tell him. Well, we saw the movie, which was really, really good. I enjoyed even more than I thought I would. However, no sign of Eugene.

So after a couple hours of waiting infront of the venue, I take another look around and see Sergey, the violin player, and the accordion player again. So I talked to them and Sergey tells me that, first off Eugene is still sleeping, and second, he is totally alright with it and thinks it very cool of me, BUT the final word is up to Eugene. So I decide to wait around longer to talk to Eugene myself.

At around 4:30ish, Paul and I are still standing in front of the venue... then Paul spots Eugene go into a the Crepe Cafe next door. This was my chance. I tell him my story, and he said "Oh yeah, yeah, I have heard all about you. It's totally cool man." I couldn't believe it. I was actually expecting him to say no. So we talk a little bit, and we organize I was going to ask her after they play "60 Revolutions" and before they play "American Wedding." He then figured I will need a backstage pass, so he brings me, and Paul too, into the venue with him. We then just chill in the venue until around 6:30, when they kick us out. We still got to see them soundcheck some jams and "Mishto!" so that was pretty awesome. Now it was just a matter of time.

Becky got there around 7:30 and doors opened at 8. After we got into the venue, she was talking about how she might want to just go to the back halfway through the set, and I had to, without being obvious, convince her not to do that. Actually, I had A LOT of convincing to do. She almost didn't even come to the show! She had work that night and couldn't get it off, so, again without being obvious, I had to convince her to come to the show. She said OK, and called in sick. Thank God. Anyways, the band started just after 10:30 and were great. The band was onfire and the crowd was pretty great. Then, I heard "Tribal Connection," which was my cue to leave. So I told her I had to go to the bathroom and left her on the barricade, along with a bunch of my other friends.

I went backstage as soon as "60 Revolutions began" and Paulo, the stage manager, met me back there. We talked a bit while they were playing, and then the song stopped. Eugene then said that he had a special guest in Vancouver, who "is burning with Passion" and then something about him wanting the say something to a special lady. I then walk on stage and walk straight towards Becky... who is dumbfounded. All my friends there start screaming "GO JOSH!" and help her get over the barricade. I bring her on stage, grab the mic and go down on one knee. The crowd erupted in cheers. I could barely hear myself think. Before I said anything she learned over and kissed me, but I got her to stand back up. I had a little speech prepared, but the moment I forget someone of it, but I still think it was pretty sweet. It was something along the lines of:
    "Becky, Rebekah Joy Makepeace, we have been seeing each for the last three and half years, and I love you. I can't imagine my life without you, and I don't want to either. You are the only person I want to spend the rest of my life with and the only person who can truly make me happy. So, what I am asking, *reaches into pocket and pull out box* Becky, *opens box* will you marry me?"
    She nodded her head, put on the ring and the crowd went nuts. It was surreal. I then got off me knee and we kissed. While we were kissing, I swooped her down. I thought it was pretty classy myself. After that Eugene gave us both big hugs, and we had some champagne. He asked if either of us had ever been to a Canadian Wedding, and we both laughed and shrugged out shoulders. We then left the stage, and watched the show from the side until almost the end. Between songs, the band members came and gave us hugs too.

When they started playing Mala Vida, a Mano Negra cover, which is one of Becky's favorites, we left down to go back to floor. The second I walked about the door this guy says to me "I have been looking for you for the last 20 minutes! I got the entire proposal on video! Do you want it?" Of course we said, and he got out phone number, and he is going to call sometime today about sending it to me. THAT is why I love Gogol Bordello and the crowd they bring in. The nicest fucking people on the planet. After that, every step I took, guys were shaking my hand and giving Becky a hug. Everyone thought it was really awesome. It was like that for the rest of the night. People just kept comming up to us and congratulating us. It was really awesome.

After the show, I met up with all my friends upstairs and there were hugs all around. One of my best friends, who was upstairs the whole night, as soon as he saw me, ran up to me and gave me a jumping hug. It was pretty funny. But yeah, it was incredible.

After talking for a bit, before we left, Becky and I figured we would give our thanks one last time to the band. So we went upstairs, and everyone was really happy to see us. Eugene wasn't there, but the rest of the band was. Sergey even gave Becky a little advice. They seriously are the coolest fucking band on the planet.

All in all, it was unreal. Just thinking about it now, I can't believe this happened. This was the most amazing experience of my life. Like, I just got engaged on stage with one of my favorite bands, to the most amazing, wonderful, kind, sweet, caring, lovely, gorgeous, beautiful, and not to mention coolest fucking girl, in the entire world. I... I am almost at a loss for words. She is amazing. Gogol Bordello are amazing. The crowd was amazing. Seriously. I am happy right now. Very happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Default Re: So I got engaged last night

So awesome. Im really happy for you and Becky. Gogol was the right way. congratulations man.
    Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    Make up rumors of who's playing > keep track of who's confirmed > whine about where the lineup is > lineup announced! > bitch about how the lineup sucks > whine about what bands will be added > bands finally added! > whine about where set times are > set times finally announced! > bitch about how set times suck > goto show > come back and say Coachella was best ever! > start rumors for next year

congrats to you both! very cool.
    Coachella 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11
    Lollapalooza 95, 96, 97, 03, 08
    Rock The Bells 07, 09, 10
    Sasquatch 10
    Bonnaroo 09
    Vegoose 07, RIP
    Mile High 09

Upcoming Shows
    6/9 - Deftones/Dillenger | 6/10 - Cake | 6/17 - Buckethead | 6/28 - Glitch Mob | 7/25 - APC | 7/30 - LA Rising (Rage, Muse, Lauryn Hill, Rise Against) | 8/12 - Cut//Copy

tl; dr

But congrats on getting engaged.
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    It's like finding out an old high school buddy is on meth, and you're not sure if any of the rumors of him giving handies behind Burger King are true but they very likely could be.

Awww, that's so sweet

Congratulations! That's really the awesomest thing I've read in ages.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Whoops... I didn't notice the other thread until right now. Sorry. I just went straight in here and typed this. Didn't read anything else. Oh well, at least you have a coles notes version now.
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Oh yeah, it looks like people are talking about it:
    http://www.darrenthetiger.com/2008/1...nated-herring/
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Why did you leave out the part where your fiancee apparently showed her tits in the course of the proposal?

Eugene Hutz (the singer) and the rest of the band sat back and when the tearful girl accepted the proposal, Eugene busted open a bottle of champagne for everyone to knock back. The girl flashed him her boobs and ran offstage with her fiancee as the band kicked off with American Wedding.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Why did you leave out the part where your fiancee apparently showed her tits in the course of the proposal?
    How did I know this was excactly what your post was going to say?
    Make up rumors of who's playing > keep track of who's confirmed > whine about where the lineup is > lineup announced! > bitch about how the lineup sucks > whine about what bands will be added > bands finally added! > whine about where set times are > set times finally announced! > bitch about how set times suck > goto show > come back and say Coachella was best ever! > start rumors for next year

Congratulations over here too.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

That honeymoon is paler than the KKK.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

congratulations!

which are you more excited about? getting engaged or hanging with GB?

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    tl; dr
    you missed a great story rick.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

where is that pic taken?

Sasquatch.

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

Outstanding! Reading a story like that instantly brightens your day. Top notch man, congratulations.

Letting you do that was awesome enough, but going all out with champagne and shit? Coolest band ever?

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Whoops... I didn't notice the other thread until right now. Sorry. I just went straight in here and typed this. Didn't read anything else. Oh well, at least you have a coles notes version now.
    I'm thinking this deserves about 10 threads. No worries.

Wait, coles notes?

so is there a tentative date?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

search button is your friend josh

Josh, you're really something special. I wish you and Becky the most premium future and hope to cross paths with you two again at the next Coachella. Be sure to get that wedding invite to Eugene and the group! Congrats!
    ass on the grill

What? That flashing part is so not true. That is not fucking cool. She MADE her own Gogol Bordello shirt, and she was showing Euegen the shirt she made. Not flashing him. I hate when people try to make something like this trashy...

Sooo cool man - serious congrats.
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

Get married on-stage if they play Coachella next year.

What? That flashing part is so not true. That is not fucking cool. She MADE her own Gogol Bordello shirt, and she was showing Euegen the shirt she made. Not flashing him. I hate when people try to make something like this trashy...

The youtube clips will take care of that tabloidesque blog. i wonder how many there will be?

the more i think about this story the more i realize how awesome it is. you are fucking amazing josh.

also, no way Daft Punk would have cooperated with something like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Congrats to you both! The other thread brought tears, but this one got the lump in my throat! Very Happy for Both of You!
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

awwwwwwwwwww

that sounded great!
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt
    I know it's hard, but try not to turn into GPS. It is just unfortunate for us all.

I have a video of the Muse engagement somewhere, and that was before youtube ever came out. But yeah, tell that blogger how things really went down and kick his ass if you must.

Can't wait to see the youtube of this.