Thread: Can

Default Can

Just discovered them recently by looking up Radiohead and Thom Yorke on Wikipedia. They are pretty amazing. I wanna hear more like it and talk about them.

Default Re: Can

Krautrock, ftw.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Faust. Neu!. Kind of like Can.

Bryan can talk to you about them. Probably for hours.

Andrew knows.

When asked what my favorite band of all time is, my answer vacillates between Can and Boredoms, depending on what mood I'm in.

I'm not in a mood to fully type it up tonight, and I wanna listen to Slayer right now, but sometime soon, I'll type up my interpretation of Michael Karoli's development over the course of the first three albums. Basically, to me, you can hear him slowly working to become the leading member of the group, which he most certainly was by the end of their career. If you listen to the track Oh Yeah off Tago Mago, when the vocals move from backwards loops to forward, and his guitar takes over with a more normal, less experimental sound, that's the sound of him coming into his own.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Also, here is a review of their albums that I did over summer or something like that.

So, here we go. CAN-The discography

Let me preface this by saying that Can is my favorite band of all time, and that, in my opinion, they had the best three record run of any rock group ever. Two of these guys were classically trained minimalists, the drummer was nuts, the guitar player was nearly 10 years younger than anyone else in the group, and they couldn't hold onto a singer. Germany spit out some amazing acts, but nothing to compare to the genius of Can.

1.Delay 1968 (1981)-Right off the bat, I'm throwin' out a curveball. This was the last Can album to be released, but it was the first one to be recorded. This is the original lineup, with Malcolm Mooney, the original lead singer, prior to the release of Monster Movie. Despite the classical leanings of Holger Czukay (Bass) and Irmin Schmidt (Keys), this is very much garage rock. Malcolm Mooney is often compared to a ranting homeless man, and that fits particularily well here. The band hues closest to White Light/White Heat era VU, and they aren't nearly as tight as they were later. Not the place to start, and this is mostly a curio for serious fans, but "The Thief" and "Butterfly" are both great tracks, and Radiohead used to cover the former in live performances. Grade: C+

Monster Movie (1969)-Listen to the first three songs, and you can hear them developing the sounds on Delay. They're still doing the garage-y rock, but everything on here sounds more developed and full, and generally much better. I really enjoy Mooney's anguished screaming on "Mary Mary Quite Contrary," and "Father Can't Yell" is a fun, dark track. Hearing this, you'd think they were going to continue down this path further, but these tracks in no way prepare you for side 2 of the album. A few notes on the bass and a manic drum pattern introduce You Doo Right, and they pretty much remain the basis of the 20 minute song. You get the perfect glimpse into why Czukay and Liebezeit (drummer) were the best rhythm section, period. These guys didn't show off, but they created a tense, pulsing groove that doesn't relent. Michael Karoli (guitar) still sounds tepid, not going all out here; he sounds like a guy playing with more experienced, renowned musicians, which he was at this point. As a whole, this track absolutely owns, and if you dig repetition, you will love it. It acts as a signal of things to come. Grade: B

Soundtracks (1970)-A stopgap album, back when you had to have an album out each year. The band had lost their first singer, Malcolm Mooney, after he had a mental breakdown onstage, but he's featured on a few tracks on this, a collection of soundtrack works that the band had done for various experimental films. Most of the songs are uncharacteristically short and traditional. The band is, as usual, tight and genius on the work here, but it's not sequenced as an album. However, you do get "Mother Sky," the track that triumphantly announced Damo Suzuki to the world. After Mooney left, the band was looking for a new singer, and they saw Suzuki busking in the streets. A Japanese performance artist, his free-form vocals provided the necessary push that drove the band to their genius. Mother Sky is the first perfect Can song. Karoli isn't quite at top form yet, but he does sound fantastic, and the rest of the players devastate as well. Hearing this, you want more, and just wait, because they deliver. Grade: B

Tago Mago (1971)-The classic lineup in place, they entered the studio and jammed. For a long time. Then, they took the best songs from those jams and turned them into this, their absolute masterpiece. They open it with "Paperhouse, which starts down-tempo and slowly builds to a transcendent guitar/bass/drum/keys explosion toward the end. Suzuki sings and rambles in a variety of languages, and Karoli realizes that he can play with these guys. The song is perfect. Mushroom is next, and it's a tight, eerie space-funk jam. It works perfectly as the lead in to Oh Yeah. The song starts with a nuclear explosion, and then the bass, keys and drums take over. Suzuki's singing is played backwards, and the song is generally bizarre, albeit calm, at the start. Karoli comes in and plays some drone strings, followed by chord work, laying a bridge between this abstraction and the more transcendent second half. Another explosion is sounded, and from here on out it's the Karoli show. He plays with the chords as Suzuki sings the best melody of his career, and builds a fantastic tension/release program. Perfection. Halleluwah is 18 minutes of pure German funk, and it doesn't ever get even the slightest bit boring. The guitar solos are amazing, and the drum work is intense. Augmn and Peking O are two soundscape pieces that will either intrigue you or leave you dry, depending on whether you like experimental art music, and Bring Me Coffee or Tea is a subdued closer. In my opinion, the best album of their career, and my personal favorite album ever. I've not heard something as varied and yet as connected. Grade: A+

Ege Bamyasi (1972)-The best place to start with Can. They retain the experimental sounds, but cut it back to make more succinct and explosive songs. Everything on here is a stone cold killer. Vitamin C distills the first side of Tago Mago into 3 minutes, and I'm So Green is a killer funk track. They closed this with Spoon, which reached Number 1 in Germany and brought them a degree of fame in Europe. Another classic. Grade: A+

Future Days (1973)-By the end of this album, Suzuki had quit the band to become a Jehovah's Witness, and his insane additions are less apparent here than on the past three albums. This one features just four long tracks, and each of them are subtle groove monsters. However, everything is much more laid back and relaxed this time around; this is by far the calmest Can album. Bel Air and Future Spray are both great laid back jams that remind me of beach nights. Their last perfect album, sadly. Grade: A+

Soon over Babaluma (1974)-The last classic Can album. With Suzuki gone, the band decided to continue as a four piece, with Karoli on vocals. These songs add latin rhythms, violin and calm tracks to the mix, with generally great results. There isn't a bad one on this album, but the playing on here isn't as inspired as it was on the past three albums. It all sounds great, but not as good as what came before. Still, Dizzy Dizzy and Chain Reaction are both awesome, and you would still love this if you loved the early stuff. Grade: A-

Landed (1975)-There's lots of reasons why this failed so bad. Can had always recorded live to a two track recorder and then messed around with that. It had always worked, to fantastic results, but for some reason they went to a proper studio this time. And decided to write a garage rock-y tune. And some Disco tunes. I don't know why, and it seems like no one else does either. Leave it be. Grade-D

Flow Motion (1976)-Can once again doing disco/reggae tracks, without much personality. The saddest part about the band latching onto the dance groove is that Liebezeit is relegated to a standard 4/4 beat for most of the time, so he can't drive them to new and interesting places. Sure, the playing's good, but it's uninspired here. Sad, but at least it's better than Landed. Grade: C-

Saw Delight (1977)-They realized that something needed to change, and it did. They added another percussionist and replaced Czukay (worst mistake ever) so he could focus on electronic programming. The album is another move in the right direction, and certainly not a failure by any means (Less reggae) but it doesn't have that magic of the early ones. Grade: C+

After this, I don't pay attention to the albums. They sound like they were the Bee Gees, and Czukay was completely gone. I'm hard on the band here, but the first five albums are so damn amazing that anything would have been a letdown by comparison. Go buy all the Suzuki albums now, and see the future.

Tago Mago is some kind of wonderful.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

Nice, that was an awesome review. I wasn't sure about them because I first checked out Delay when I was looking for late 60s rock music and didn't really grasp that album. Their next few are amazing though.

I have been studying to Future Days a lot lately. I really need to get Tago Mago and Ege Bamyasi.

Tago Mago is probably the best album ever.

Eroc I is a great album by Eroc if you like can you will probably dig this as well.

"i was at the first Can show... in Cologne"

I thought about starting a new Can thread because, why not now, but this one'll do.

Can are just so much fucking better than you, or your face. It's not fair. They're just better.

I've never heard of Can, I'll check them out.

When I was first getting into music seriously, one of my online friends pushed Can on me, so I downloaded Tago Mago. I still remember first putting it on and being afraid it'd be too much for me because of some reviews I read, but I was surprised that it was not only very listenable, but fucking amazing. I owe so much to that album and hold it above almost all others as a perfect musical statement.

I remember perfectly the first time I heard it. My friend, who was at the time the only person I knew in LA with a car, drove me to Amoeba and we went shopping. Freshman year of college. I bought Tago Mago, Faust's first and second album and Olivia Tremor Control's Black Foliage Music. He was driving me over to see the Libertines at the Fonda, and we put on Tago Mago. Instead of dropping me off, we drove around until the first three songs were done. He couldn't stay past that, but we were enraptured. The Libertines were fantastic live, and I met two of my better friends at that concert. On the drive home, we listened to the rest of the album. It fit perfectly with the odd nature of that night, and I've never given it up.

CAN! CAN! CAN!. Great Band.

Faust's first two albums are right up there with Tago Mago, although that one blew open my mind about music first. Sonic LSD.

I've only listened to half of their albums, they have so many.

Faust's first two are so far out there. I love it. They're both mind melters. Faust was as far out as Krautrock got, and some of the wilder psychedelic music.

why are germans so awesome when it comes to making music?

it must be all that post-war, late 20th century jadedness going around then...it's sexy

bryan do you listen to any of Holger Czukay's solo or collaborative stuff?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I've got Canaxis and La Luna. They're interesting, indebted to the 70s school of classical composition, but I enjoy them.

CAN rules! Tago Mago is amazing period! I also love the work that HOLGER CZUKAY done with DAVID SYLVIAN "Flux+Mutability"