Thread: The Secret Machines: Make it Happen

Default The Secret Machines: Make it Happen

It amazes me to no end that this band is not as well known as they should be. I'm sure all of you know about them but they still do not have the type of following that they deserve. Their new album comes out on Tuesday and it is awesome. If you like the darker side of Pink Floyd, like "Welcome to The Machine" then you will love this album. Their live shows are some of the most powerful shows I have ever attended and on this new tour they got the lighting director for Kanye's show, Es Devlin, to do the lights. What I can't believe is that these shows are not sold out all over the country.

So with all of that being said, go get tickets to their shows and hey Goldenvoice, Outdoor Theater around 7:30 or 8. Thanks.

I have provided every link I could find.

http://thesecretmachines.ning.com/
    http://www.myspace.com/secretmachines
    http://apps.new.facebook.com/ilike/a...ecret+Machines
    http://www.ilike.com/artist/The+Secret+Machines
    http://www.last.fm/music/Secret+Mach...ecret+machines
    http://www.worlds-fair.net/secret_machines/
    Last edited by shotglass75; 10-11-2008 at 06:02 AM.
    Check out Sleeping is Giving in for great mixes and other cool stuff

Default Re: The Secret Machines: Make it Happen

They've already done Coachella a few years back and they were cool then. Kind of had some tantrums with the stagehands though.
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a

how are they now minus ben? the new guy fits in well w/ them?

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Saw them somewhere in LA recently and they were fucking ungodly shitty. Blow it out your ass, Maavi.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

The new guitarist, Phil Karnats, is really good. He adds more textures than anything really. You really can't tell all that much that Ben has been replaced. You can check out many of the new songs HERE

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Saw them somewhere in LA recently and they were fucking ungodly shitty. Blow it out your ass, Maavi.

Maybe they had a bad night when I saw them in July, but that was one of the worst shows I have seen in a long long time.

Yeah I heard about those shows. Who knows what the hell happened? Coulda just been an off night. Anyways, check out the new album and give 'em another chance live. I'm sure they figured out the kinks.

They fucking suck live. Suck.
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

I don't know what happened. they used to be really good live.

Quote Originally Posted by shotglass75 View Post
    Yeah I heard about those shows. Who knows what the hell happened? Coulda just been an off night. Anyways, check out the new album and give 'em another chance live. I'm sure they figured out the kinks.

You don't understand, Randy wasn't exaggerating. They were fucking brutal and got boo'd by the entire crowd when they left the stage. I've never seen any band get it that bad. If I'm really really bored I might think about stabbing myself. If I don't go with that then I might think about downloading Secret Machines.

How many albums do they have out? I've been looking for something new to "acquire"
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyboyUNM View Post
    You don't understand, Randy wasn't exaggerating. They were fucking brutal and got boo'd by the entire crowd when they left the stage. I've never seen any band get it that bad. If I'm really really bored I might think about stabbing myself. If I don't go with that then I might think about downloading Secret Machines.

We're these headlining gigs or were they opening for someone. I heard about the gigs when they opened for someone and got booed.

Quote Originally Posted by sbessiso View Post
    How many albums do they have out? I've been looking for something new to "acquire"

Salah, I would consider "acquiring" Hepatitis B before a Secret Machines album. Maybe I'm just being an asshole (ok I definitely am) but I can't get over how fucking horrible they were in concert.

We're these headlining gigs or were they opening for someone. I heard about the gigs when they opened for someone and got booed.

They opened for Coheed & Cambria. That show was good, but we left during their set too. They have about 3 songs I wanted to hear. Sort of an underwhelming night actually.

omg you went to see coheed and cambria, you're officially not allowed to give me shit for anything anymore. at least for a month considering you came to your senses and dipped outta there
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Oh well.

First time I saw Secret Machines was the Troubadour...great great show. Saw them again at coachella innnnn 2004? 2005? can't remember exact year. Had a ticket for their el rey show but got there too late and missed em. Saw them last when they were doing their theatre in the round style gigs at avalon. That was interesting.
    "Strange things are afoot at the Circle K"

2013 = 12 Coachellas

do it do it do it do it do it do it do it now! say it say it say it say it say it say it say it now!

Quote Originally Posted by wstsidela View Post
    I should smack you in the head but I draw the line at gay bashing.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    use some common sense you asshats

omg you went to see coheed and cambria, you're officially not allowed to give me shit for anything anymore. at least for a month considering you came to your senses and dipped outta there

You gotta understand that I live in Albuquerque and NOBODY comes here. It was a good chance to get out and see a show. And a couple of their songs were pretty good. Then they wouldn't shut up so we left.

I thought I gave you some homework. How can you type with your eyes closed? (I love how that might look outta context).

Don't worry, I will do the assignment tonight. I promised. I want to give it my full attention. I should leave soon. I was doign so well with post count and today just fucked me up. I blame YOU tommy

Headliners when I saw them. Fucking terrible headliners.

Don't worry, I will do the assignment tonight. I promised. I want to give it my full attention. I should leave soon. I was doign so well with post count and today just fucked me up. I blame YOU tommy

I'm 18 away from 1,000 and I have no clue how that happened. I hear ya.

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Headliners when I saw them. Fucking terrible headliners.

It's like he has Autism folks. "Yeah, terrible band. Yeah I saw them live. terrible band, definitely, definitely a terrible band"

Thanks Rainman. Go count some toothpicks and don't miss Wapner. Definitely don't wanna miss Wapner at 4:30

man i have yet to hear the new album, but i love them... they would be GREAT at sunset if only they were bigger

Seriously, it would suck. No foolsies.

no way!! they would be awesome. sunset, or otherwise.

A glimps of the Secret Machines stage setup. Should be an amazing show

New Sights and Sounds: The Secret Machines bring contemporary set design on North American Fall Tour

Oct 14, 2008 - The Secret Machines' new record, Secret Machines, is out today, on their own label, TSM Recordings. This is the trio’s third full-length and first on TSM, and also marks the first in a series of strong initiatives that continue to define their status as cutting-edge, visionary artists.

A show at the 9:30 Club in DC this Thursday kicks off the Secret Machines' fall North American promo tour. Following in the tradition of their trademark staging on previous tours, it looks like concert-goers are in for a treat this time around, as well.

The band has just unveiled the minimalist approach behind their new set design, revealing a concept that is more theatrical in nature than in the intense rock lighting effects they are known for. Brandon Curtis took an unconventional approach when he enlisted the conceptual talents of one of Europe’s premiere award-winning set designers, Es Devlin, the same woman who hip-hop mogul Kanye West turned to for his space-themed Touch the Sky tour last year. Ms. Devlin, who also designed the set and costumes for Philip Glass’s chamber opera Orphee as well as Sally Potter’s extravagant film production of Carmen, was kind enough to give us her first-hand perspective on why she decided to collaborate with the Secret Machines, and how she envisions this stage set enhancing their performance.

“I am a fan of the Secret Machines’ work, having seen their Brighton performance online on the BBC, I was impressed by how committed they are to the visual expression of their music. There was a purity of idea to their lighting, practically the entire show was backlit with them in silhouette. I met Brandon and Josh in NYC while I was working on a film with Sally Potter and also on Kanye West's tour, and we immediately shared a language of image and music and by the end of the conversation the show was effectively designed.

The visual elements are a direct instinctive response to the qualities of the music. The band will be caught within a Naum Gabo-inspired romboid structure surfaced with gauze and punctuated with radiating tensioned cables which will catch the light in a more lyrical way than a pure saturated block of back light - we might combine them and counterpoint them with pure blocks of backlight too. What the fans see will be a visual expression and counterpoint to what they hear allowing them the space to project their own interpretation of the music and the courage to intensify it.”

In their latest issue, Blender said of Secret Machines, "If David Lynch were to direct a remake of the Victorian romance Wuthering Heights, he wouldn't need to commission a soundtrack: Secret Machines have recorded it...On 'Have I Run Out,' theatrical kettledrums and tense strings introduce a beautiful sense of dreamy anguish and 'The Walls Are Starting to Crack’ showcases he power of their new identity as apocalypse-heralding romantics..."

while SPIN writes, "Adding electronic gurgles to heavy, prog-rock power chords...Secret Machines recalls Rush and Black Sabbath at one end of the sonic spectrum ('The Fire Is Waiting') and David Bowie's spazzier, punk-era edge at the other ('Atomic Heels'). In between those far-flung atmospheric poles, the band proves they're more than the sum of their seamless influences..."

The Secret Machines Fall North American Promo Tour

Oct 16 Washington, DC @ 9:30 Club &
    Oct 17 Philadelphia, PA @ Trocadero &
    Oct 18 New York, NY @ Webster Hall &
    Oct 20 Cambridge, MA @ Middle East &
    Oct 21 Montreal, QC @ Les Saints &
    Oct 22 Toronto, ON @ Lee’s Palace &
    Oct 24 Chicago, IL @ Metro*
    Oct 25 Madison, WI @ Majestic Theatre*
    Oct 27 Denver, CO @ Bluebird Theatre*
    Oct 28 Aspen, CO @ Belly Up*
    Oct 30 Los Angeles, CA @ Key Club*
    Nov 01 San Diego, CA @ Belly Up*
    Nov 03 San Francisco, CA @ The Independent*
    Nov 05 Portland, OR @ Berbati’s Pan*
    Nov 06 Seattle, WA @ Neumos*
    Nov 07 Vancouver, BC @ Richards on Richards*
    Nov 09 Calgary, AB @ SAIT Polytechnic+
    Nov 10 Saskatoon, SK @ Louis’ Pub+
    Nov 11 Winnipeg, MB @ Pyramid Cabaret+
    Nov 14 London, ON @ Call the Office+
    Nov 15 Ottawa, ON @ Babylon+

& w/TK Webb
    *w/the Dears
    +w/Small Sins
    Last edited by shotglass75; 10-15-2008 at 04:25 AM.

Secret Machines Embrace GarageBand, Eye-Candy Viz

On Tuesday, the space-rocking Secret Machines released its self-titled third effort overall, but the first on its own label TSM Recordings. It's another hefty helping of brooding prog riffage, albeit one that skews more experimental with the addition of new guitarist Phil Karnats.

But the band's experimentalism usually achieves an arresting apotheosis in the flesh. The Secret Machines is lauded for its ambitious live sets, which usually involve Lynchian lighting displays and innovative set designs.

For the group's current tour, starting October 15 in Washington, DC and wrapping November 15 in Ottowa, it asked for outside help from Es Devlin, the award-winning European designer who has worked with artists as different as Kanye West and Philip Glass. Devlin, already a Machines fan, was excited by the collaboration and quickly set about creating some brain-teasing installations.

"The visual elements are a direct instinctive response to the qualities of the music" Devlin explained. "The band will be caught within a Naum Gabo-inspired rhomboid structure surfaced with gauze and punctuated with radiating tensioned cables which will catch the light in a more lyrical way than a pure saturated block of back light. We might combine them and counterpoint them with pure blocks of backlight too. What the fans see will be a visual expression and counterpoint to what they hear allowing them the space to project their own interpretation of the music and the courage to intensify it."

The Secret Machines have also turned to not just art but also technology to help spread the word about its newest effort. On Tuesday, it launched a Garageband remix contest on its official site, which is also a social networking resource. Fans and other interested parties can download the raw files of the band's first single "Atomic Heels" from the site, and slice and dice to their hearts' content.

The Secret Machines will announce the winner online on November 2, in advance of its San Francisco date. Prizes up for grabs include a preloaded iPod Nano Chromatic, a limited-edition EP from TSM Recordings including the winning remix and other tracks, and the envy of your friends and family.

"To be honest, at first I didn’t really grasp why we would want to do this," confessed Machine head Brandon Curtis. "But we decided that there was no better gift than to let fans explore and experiment with our music –- have them feel the same excitement we first felt when we laid down the tracks for this song at New York’s Magic Shop Studios. So yes, it’s about technology, but it’s also about embracing how this technology impacts us artistically, by allowing us to make our music available for the first time in an interactive way."

It's a trend that is growing by the minute. As music technology evolves into a more user-friendly paradigm, GarageBand remixes will probably become release-date staples as the years go by. Especially since the industry as we know it is morphing for good.

"As the traditional label industry keeps changing, and the sale of recorded music keeps dwindling," Curtis added, "we’re thrilled to be among a growing number of artists that now provide our fans with a dynamic digital means to distribute our music, for free, among themselves. We can’t wait to hear what they come up with."

http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/10/...-machines.html

For all you Bay Area peeps

Secret Machines to perform Live at the APPLE store in SFO

If you're in the beautiful Bay Area, catch TSM's exclusive acoustic performance at the Apple retail store in Union Square, San Francisco on Sunday November 2nd. It's ALL AGES and it's FREE, turn up !! Starts at 4pm. For event listings and directions visit http://www.apple.com/retail/sanfrancisco/